SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Tolerating 3D media

InvisibleUnless

does anyone have information about responses to 3D media in withdrawal and other post-discontinuation states?

i plan to see a film with stereoscopic 3D and i am a bit concerned about the way my nervous system will react to that.  luckily, i have been doing better, in some ways, these past few months than any time in the past 6 years, so if i could ever handle it, it would probably be right now.

but, as these technologies can adversely affect even fully healthy persons, i wonder if anyone has experience (good or bad) with 3D movies or other media after reducing or quitting their psychotropic drugs.  i know many of us are unable to even sit through a movie, and it has taken me several years to come this far.

sensitivity to light and sound, difficulties with prolonged concentration or repetitive thoughts or activities, and other aspects of moviegoing have been a challenge during withdrawal.  since i have a history of seizure activity and movement disorders as part of my complex withdrawal, i am understandably concerned about stereoscopic 3D in particular.

ideas?

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tolerating 3D media
  • Moderator Emeritus

I suppose if you are game to put yourself to the test then you could try it, but with a pre-made arrangement of leaving the cinema and where you will meet your friend/s if you find that you can't stay.

However, that won't be of any help if the reaction is delayed.  It would have to be a very special movie for me to even consider risking it in your situation.  Is the possibility of causing issues really worth it, just for a couple of hours of watching a movie?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

theoretically i have the option to watch the 2D film.  but, the person i am going with strongly prefers the 3D version and is having a bit of a hard time in life right now.  i wouldnt give it a shot if i thought there was no chance at a decent toleration.  it is hard enough to get through a movie in the first place, most times, so what role that will play is...inestimable.

i am not so much concerned about lasting reactions as i am acute difficulties, and maybe processing and adjusting the few days following at worst.  ive tolerated a few things that were basically unthinkable before now, like some volunteer work and a tad of a tad of cannabis.  of course, it is on and off.

you are right to ask if it is even worth it.  i dont really see myself regretting trying so much as regretting my situation if i cannot tolerate it and have to walk out or whatnot.  the pre-movie hubbub and the sustained light and sound of a movie will collectively be more difficult, but stereoscopic 3D is something...different.

if one or more people reported bad experiences, id probably rethink and try for the 2D.  it is hypothetically an option, but id feel somewhat guilty to choose it, i suppose.  i let the person i am attending with know my concerns, and they have some background in healthcare so they would recognize if i was obtrusively seizing or something like that.  but, of course, most of the worrisome experiences will be either invisible or difficult to discern from the outside.

i will see how i feel come movieday.  i may yet opt for the 2D.  i can sleep on it and see.  sometimes it is hard to be the voice of reason when nobody else around me experiences these kinds of difficulties and im practically a hermit in some respects.  thanks for the response.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

It's my 60th birthday next week and my boss is okay with me having the day off.  I've been wondering about what I could do to celebrate.  Ever since I was a kid, when I saw a glider land in a paddock beside us whilst we were out for a family drive, I've wanted to go up in one.  I've been researching different options, helicopter, bi-plane, glider (which is actually an introduction to learning to fly a glider) and I really don't know whether I would be able to handle the adrenaline.  Even just checking out the websites has me feeling a bit stressed.

Maybe a nice gentle cruise around the harbour?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

an interesting counterpoint.  personally, i would imagine that there should be some sort of scalar escalation involved...  see how far is not too far before going full on into that sort of thing.  often, i feel like tapering up activities is not unlike tapering down on doses.  slow, rest breaks between alterations, sometimes stepping back to a more comfortable place if necessary, and no pressure to do anything immediately.

since some days are more okay than others when it comes to more intense activities, it is a hard thing to gauge or schedule.  sometimes i surprise myself with what i can do, though sometimes im surprised with how bad things get even without pushing my theoretical limits.

cruises arent bad, but if that isnt something that has been on your list of engaging sentimental activities, perhaps seeking out something with a greater or more long term emotional investment would be nice should flying around be a bit over the top, so to speak.  in any case, certainly pursue something out of the ordinary.  and, happy (future) birthday!

brainpan addlepation

• Moderator Emeritus

Well I've booked myself in to do a helicopter flying lesson.  There is 1 hour pre-flight instruction and 30 minute flight time.  For me I feel it ended up being better value than doing a scenic flight because a 45 minute scenic flight cost more than what I am doing, and this ends up being a longer all round experience.  Maybe if I'd been going with another person a scenic flight might have been nice.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy