LadyLuna: Tapering off Citalopram

LadyLuna

Hi everyone,

I have been on 20mg of citalopram for close to ten years now. I was originally placed on the medication after I was diagnosed with a heart condition, and my Doctor felt I had become depressed due to the diagnosis. In hindsight I believe it was a natural reaction to a shock diagnosis, combined with the fact I had 2 year old twins and was concerned I wasn't going to be able to see them grow up.

I have tried twice before to come off the citalopram, once in 2010 and more recently in early 2016. Both times I have followed Doctor's advice to decrease over 4 weeks, and both times I have ended up in a state of depression much worse to what I ever felt before starting the citalopram. I have recently been told my heart function has decreased again (First drop since I was diagnosed 10 years ago), and after doing a little research I can see there is a link between citalopram and heart rhythm problems. I am really eager to try and finally be successful at tapering off the citalopram, though I do plan to check in with my doctor about timing (My heart rate is really unstable at the moment), I do want to reduce really slowly so I am hopeful that would only be beneficial for my heart rather than stressful.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here :)

Edited by baroquep

Citalopram 20mg (From 2008-2010, and again from 2016 - current)

Escitalopram 10mg (2010-2016)

Other medications

Bisoprolol 20 mg

Spirolactone 100mg

Metformin 2,500 mg (for PCOS)

Supplements: V-Omega 3, coQ10 160mg, Vitamin B12 drops, Magnesium & B6 800mg, Zinc 120mg, DIM 100mg, Thompsons Liver Cleanse 2 tablets per day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LadyLuna and welcome to SA,

Sometimes it can been an interaction which is causing issues.  Please put your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results here in your Intro topic.

Please note that Spirolactone (in your signature) is spelled incorrectly:  Aldactone / spironolactone

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is some information about tapering.  SA recommends a harm reduction tapering method of reducing by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold for about 4 weeks which allows the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, LadyLuna.

With gradual tapering, you most likely can at least minimize your citalopram dosage, which will reduce the risk to your heart. ChessieCat has given you the links.

Using a liquid to taper is a good way to reduce by very small amounts. Please let us know if you have any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome to the site, your in the right place to taper your citalopram. I wish you all the best on your journey x

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg