spidey

Anger towards those that won't listen...how to deal

spidey

I apologize in advance for the topic. It is like beating a dead horse discussing this, I swear.

Was getting pretty upset this morning going through the comments section of a video on youtube discussing the common side effects associated with antidepressants. So many people on there singing the praises of these drugs. Crediting them with saving their lives. I have several family members that still, even after witnessing what I went through (which would have scared me into questioning the legitimacy of psychiatric claims if I had been on the outside looking in) still insist that they have a "condition" that requires drugs to treat. The comments section was filled with people saying that claims of antidepressants causing an increase in violent behavior is pseudoscience, and that the drugs help far more often than they harm. The only way to see is to know, evidently. Shames me to think that I used to be one of them. Ignorant and hopeful. Wouldn't be on this site today if not for my trusting of these drugs and those that prescribed them to me.

I know I can do nothing. I realize that it is a complete waste of my time and energy to become upset over something that I will never have any influence over. Still, I am filled with rage thinking of everyone on here, everyone around the world that has had their life stolen in one way or another thanks to this aggressive and lethal "answer" to emotional upsets. Our stories will be buried somewhat in the void of disbelief. We are thought of as crazy, our experiences as anomalies, or as merely craving attention and lying for the sake of it. I feel defeated, and somewhat alone.

powerback
29 minutes ago, spidey said:

I apologize in advance for the topic. It is like beating a dead horse discussing this, I swear.

Was getting pretty upset this morning going through the comments section of a video on youtube discussing the common side effects associated with antidepressants. So many people on there singing the praises of these drugs. Crediting them with saving their lives. I have several family members that still, even after witnessing what I went through (which would have scared me into questioning the legitimacy of psychiatric claims if I had been on the outside looking in) still insist that they have a "condition" that requires drugs to treat. The comments section was filled with people saying that claims of antidepressants causing an increase in violent behavior is pseudoscience, and that the drugs help far more often than they harm. The only way to see is to know, evidently. Shames me to think that I used to be one of them. Ignorant and hopeful. Wouldn't be on this site today if not for my trusting of these drugs and those that prescribed them to me.

I know I can do nothing. I realize that it is a complete waste of my time and energy to become upset over something that I will never have any influence over. Still, I am filled with rage thinking of everyone on here, everyone around the world that has had their life stolen in one way or another thanks to this aggressive and lethal "answer" to emotional upsets. Our stories will be buried somewhat in the void of disbelief. We are thought of as crazy, our experiences as anomalies, or as merely craving attention and lying for the sake of it. I feel defeated, and somewhat alone.

Nice piece from the heart spidey ,try not to get to much down beat ,we are paving a new way with telling our stories and experiences .

From my experience ,It would be a good idea to take a step back from  constantly explaining ones self,it gets exausting ,I dont talk much about my situation anymore outside this site.

Itl take many years for some people to realise the meds were not the magic bullet they envisioned .

I get warmth from following peter breggins podcast and james moores podcast on madinamerica .they have loads of med critics and people showing new ways .dont waste all your precise time flogging a dead horse in your peer group.

PB

RealMe

I try not to look back and consider that there were better options for treating my emotional problems, but I can't help it.  A trusting, naive, ignorant 30 year old made choices that haunt me to this day.  I chose to listen to a doctor who said I needed to be medicated.  I believe he believed it, and it was his sincerity and my desperation that convinced me.  Well, now I am in a position to make an informed decision thanks to this site and the articles that brought me to it.  It's tough going, but I'm going.  Did someone here quote Winston Churchill, "When you're going through Hell, keep going."

Thank you for your posts today, Spidey and Powerback.  They strengthen me.

Gussy

Wow man what a piece. Must say i fully agree with you. Been off effexor for 7 months now after way too fast of a taper and after going through the hell of the first 3 months at zero i'm very puzzled as to why drs wouldn't recommend other non pharmaceutical treatments first. I've improved a **** load but have more healing to go. I just read one hell of an article on anti d's titled something like "don't make things any worse". I think drs are making things worse by putting too many people on meds and not knowing about the side effects of long term use. If you're reffering to our withdrawal stories as anomalies i think this site proves otherwise. Gus.

powerback
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, RealMe said:

I try not to look back and consider that there were better options for treating my emotional problems, but I can't help it.  A trusting, naive, ignorant 30 year old made choices that haunt me to this day.  I chose to listen to a doctor who said I needed to be medicated.  I believe he believed it, and it was his sincerity and my desperation that convinced me.  Well, now I am in a position to make an informed decision thanks to this site and the articles that brought me to it.  It's tough going, but I'm going.  Did someone here quote Winston Churchill, "When you're going through Hell, keep going."

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, RealMe said:

ALL the credit goes to spidey RM ,you welcome anyhow .its good we strengthen each other ,be dammed if wel get it anywhere  else .

I've quoted Churchill myself on the site ,but I'm of a sceptical mood tonight ,it was easy for him to say them sayings behind a desk in 10 downing street .;).I totally empathise with you on the doctor issue .

PB

spidey
On 11/24/2017 at 6:48 AM, powerback said:

Nice piece from the heart spidey ,try not to get to much down beat ,we are paving a new way with telling our stories and experiences .

From my experience ,It would be a good idea to take a step back from  constantly explaining ones self,it gets exausting ,I dont talk much about my situation anymore outside this site.

Itl take many years for some people to realise the meds were not the magic bullet they envisioned .

I get warmth from following peter breggins podcast and james moores podcast on madinamerica .they have loads of med critics and people showing new ways .dont waste all your precise time flogging a dead horse in your peer group.

PB

Thank you for your words of encouragement, PB. This does help me to see things a bit more clearly. You are correct, for the sake of my sanity it would be wise for me to take a step back from the drama that revolves around this subject.  I cannot alter the course of things, and I cannot single-handedly change another person's opinions. Just best to stop reading the comments section of Youtube on this and many other topics. Little good can come of it.

ultimatumprisoncell

No apologies for the topic needed!

Anger is a very valid emotion and reaction given the situations, misunderstanding and stigmas we face as sufferers of AD WD.  No doubt worsened from the exhaustive and fruitless efforts at "trying" to make perfectly intelligent and sane people (friends, family, co-workers AND ESPECIALLY OUR TREATING PHYSICIANS) around us fathom the validity of this iatrogenic illness - mental, emotional and physical.

Anger is a powerful (and can be consuming) emotion. Like all pain or discomfort it is a biological response indicating that "something is not right".

It is a "normal" part of any healing process that deals with grief, loss or trauma. And AD WD is traumatic AT BEST. At least for me.

I am not a doctor. I am not a therapist. I only have a high school diploma. 

However...

I'm no stranger of anger and certainly have dealt with it inappropriately more than a few hundred times in my life. I am 40 years old and remember anger and being angry for at least 37 of them. At some point in my early childhood I "learned" that anger was my "safe place" I suppose. 

In the shorter picture of things in life, I think you already did one of the best thing you can do. You spoke. You expressed how you felt.  And even if you hadn't hit that "post" button after you were through? Deleted it and walked away? I think it would have helped just to get it out. 

The bigger picture? A LOT of us are angry.  A LOT of us are feeling and thinking the exact same way you do.We (anyone suffering from AD WD or their loved ones) can CHANNEL this anger and rage in healthy ways. We can AIM it at the proper recipients and authorities.. Through online peer groups we can, as a combined effort and through repeated documentation of our VERY REAL EMOTIONS, SUFFERINGS AND FRUSTRATIONS use this ANGER AND RAGE until we are heard and something is done.

The news is starting to get out there. Sadly not enough, nor fast enough. I'd been called crazy by doctors for 20 years before I got any kind of feeble admittance that MAYBE THIS WAS THE AD AND NOT JUST ALL IN MY HEAD. But the evidence is emerging. 

The flames of our anger need not be a destructive inferno. Instead try to visualize that flame as a fuel source for inspiration and motivation, and then hopefully as a bright light at the end of what has been a long, dark and treacherous tunnel.

Best wishes,

UPC

TeaBea

Isn't part of the Hippocratic Oath: "first, do no harm"?   That's what these prescribing doctors are breaking.  There will always be mental illness--people with depression, people who will commit suicide, etc..  The thing is, they might be stopping these things (at least temporarily) for those people, BUT they're "giving it" to a whole segment of patients who are not like that, would NEVER be like that.....until the meds caused it.  

It's a weird situation:  let's give these meds to everyone and it will help some.  Meanwhile, it will make others worse....  

And I actually think that some ARE being helped, for the time being.  HOWEVER, I think before it's all over, they will probably be singing another tune (if they know it to sing it, meaning that coming from inside their hijacked minds, they might never know it was the meds that caused them eventual problems).  

ultimatumprisoncell
On 1/5/2018 at 9:02 AM, TeaBea said:

Isn't part of the Hippocratic Oath: "first, do no harm"?   That's what these prescribing doctors are breaking.  There will always be mental illness--people with depression, people who will commit suicide, etc..  The thing is, they might be stopping these things (at least temporarily) for those people, BUT they're "giving it" to a whole segment of patients who are not like that, would NEVER be like that.....until the meds caused it.  

TeaBea, 

Though I work in the medical field, I'm even a bit confused as to whether or not "first do no harm" is an "official" part of the hipocratic oath or not.(At least in the US) And so I set out on a "Google search expedition" with the hopes of finding an official answer.  What I found really, were more than a few results, half of which still had one opinion or the other... No 'Answer'.

Will have to do more research... But fundamentally I believe the hipocratic oath implies and includes at some level "first do no harm" - explicitly, without having to word it as such.