ldv1989: Serdep withdrawal

ldv1989

Hi,

I was diagnosed with bipolar 12 years ago and it runs in the family. I have been on Lamictin for about 10 of the 12 years and it really works well for me, but over the years I have been prescribed anti-depressants on and off and usually responded great mentally but not physically, even having severe panic attacks when I was on Lily Floxotine.

The past year I started using Serdep 100 mg as I was working full time and doing my Honors and was struggling to cope. I had severe side-effects physically, which included severe night sweats, insomnia, headaches and nausea, but as it was working mentally by helping me stay awake and concentrate, I decided to stick it out until after my exams. I finished my exams 1 month ago and started weening myself off the Serdep, still taking my Lamictin every day.

I weened myself off by taking a half tablet (50mg) for two weeks and then a quarter tablet (25mg) for about two weeks and have been totally off Serdep for 5 days. Since being totally off I have been doing fine mentally and most of the side-effect have gone, but the last four days I have been experiencing pins and needles in my mouth and face area, slight nausea and headaches, loss of appetite and a weird almost dizzy-like feeling. Are these withdrawal symptoms? Has anybody else experienced this? Should I be worried and will it go away?

Edited by baroquep
  • Administrator

Welcome, Idv.

You are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from sertraline. They may go away but if they increase in intensity, you may wish to reinstate a small amount, perhaps 5mg, of sertraline, stabilize for some months, and then taper off by tiny amounts.

This topic explains how to take a small amount of sertraline Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

At what times of day do you take lamotrigine?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

Thanx for the feedback! 

I am going to try and push through but will try the 5mg if it doesn't go away.

I drink my Lamictin in the evenings right before bed to prevent feeling drowsy.

Kind regards,