OliviaG

Press query - research for journalism article

OliviaG

Dear all,

This month marks 30 years since Prozac was released and I'm working on an article about how drugs have shaped our understanding and treatment of depression. Though such drugs are of course an absolutely necessary form of treatment, I also think their use has allowed us to ignore potential social causes of depression (such as growing workload and isolation.) Plus, there's too little investment in more expensive treatments, such as talking therapy. I'm interested in talking to anyone with experiences that relate - antidepressants helped them cope, but they didn't address the underlying issues, whether personal or circumstantial, that contributed to depression. Do let me know if you'd be interested in talking. I'm writing for Quartz and my email is o at  qz. com 

Edited by Altostrata
masked e-mail address

nz11

Well we can only talk about things that are definable

What does this word 'depression' mean?

Can you please explain what that is.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, OliviaG said:

Though such drugs are of course an absolutely necessary form of treatment

Sorry I couldn't disagree more....

imho you would be better served writing about the harms of these chemicals and how people are having to take years that's right years to taper off safely in order to manage traumatizing wdl symptoms. Horrific wdl symptoms I might add that are incorrectly blamed on the person and not the drug...and labelled 'relapse' .

write about how these drugs have taken addiction to a whole new galaxy and how they were marketed and approved under an orchestrated litany of fraud lies and deceit.  

Write about how there is an epidemic in society creating an ever increasing mountain of the iatrogenically  harmed caused by pharma.

Write about these chemicals and their dirty little secrets -addiction and side effects -pssd and the brutal wdl horror in which death becomes a welcome relief. 

Write about how pdocs are a law unto themselves , cowboys operating with no auditing or supervision writing nonsense and labeling people from an unvalidated manual in order to push drugs and get pharma prescribing kickbacks. Write about how criminal it is that they do not acknowledge wdl of these drugs. 

oh yeah and write about the urgent need for withdrawal and tapering clinics to be set up across the country to help those trapped in iatrogenic addiction.

Better still go to the doctor and get 60mg of Prozac take that for a month and then quit it. Then write about how you feel over the following months and years. Don't worry you'll get plenty to write about , trust  me.

Don't worry about not being able to get the medicine all you have to say to the doc is you just split up with your boyfriend and are feeling a bit emotionally stressed. You'll have a script in your hand and hurried out of the consultation before you can blink. 

All the best with your article

nz11

nz11
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:37 AM, OliviaG said:

experiences that relate - antidepressants helped them cope

Sorry couldn't help myself....

ads have not helped anyone with anything! The only people they have helped is doctors, providing them with an annuity till perpetuity.

fema4psychiatrists
On 27/12/2017 at 7:36 AM, nz11 said:

imho you would be better served writing about the harms of these chemicals and how people are having to take years that's right years to taper off safely in order to manage traumatizing wdl symptoms. Horrific wdl symptoms I might add that are incorrectly blamed on the person and not the drug...and labelled 'relapse' .

write about how these drugs have taken addiction to a whole new galaxy and how they were marketed and approved under an orchestrated litany of fraud lies and deceit.  

Write about how there is an epidemic in society creating an ever increasing mountain of the iatrogenically  harmed caused by pharma.

Write about these chemicals and their dirty little secrets -addiction and side effects -pssd and the brutal wdl horror in which death becomes a welcome relief. 

Write about how pdocs are a law unto themselves , cowboys operating with no auditing or supervision writing nonsense and labeling people from an unvalidated manual in order to push drugs and get pharma prescribing kickbacks. Write about how criminal it is that they do not acknowledge wdl of these drugs. 

oh yeah and write about the urgent need for withdrawal and tapering clinics to be set up across the country to help those trapped in iatrogenic addiction.

Better still go to the doctor and get 60mg of Prozac take that for a month and then quit it. Then write about how you feel over the following months and years. Don't worry you'll get plenty to write about , trust  me.

Don't worry about not being able to get the medicine all you have to say to the doc is you just split up with your boyfriend and are feeling a bit emotionally stressed. You'll have a script in your hand and hurried out of the consultation before you can blink. 

nz11

I totally agree with this response already, thought I better mention that.

JS11
On 12/26/2017 at 11:36 PM, nz11 said:

nz11

nz11,

Thank you for your eloquent and heartfelt words.  Your passionate response made me sad yet gave me hope and a sense of belonging at the same time.  

And yes, Prozac was my "first Pharma"  26 years ago, I think.  80mgs at one time.  Then a couple dozen others followed, sometimes alone, sometimes in combination, and sometimes with good ole' Prozac.  And here I am along with all the others dealing with the fallout.

Ironically, at the time of Prozacs release, the "Just say no to drugs," campaign was being released in schools.

Go figure.  Too bad they didn't warn the kids and the grownups that antidepressants were among the culprits.

take care,

JS11

ultimatumprisoncell

NZ11,

👏 👏 👏

I couldn't have said it better!!!

(Of course I could have tried. But my efforts would have taken me at least 3 hours in my current brain fog, And likely wouldn't have made it far through the censor filters).

Thank you for the much needed smile that resulted as well ☺

UPC