SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

kesh: akathisia, parasomnia, anxiety

kesh

Some history. I've been on and off Fluoxetine and Citalopram all my adult life. They helped me, side effects were few apart from a few weeks of akathisia 10 years ago that passed during fluoxetine initiation. One side effect coming off fluoxetine that same time was a minor version of what I'm now going through.

10 weeks ago I started getting woken up by very rapid heart rate, an adrenaline burst, at the very moment of falling asleep. Like a hypnic jerk, but not my muscles twitching, instead my heart racing. I also got the same racing while waking up. So a wake-sleep transition thing. I managed to get to sleep eventually and usually got a good night's sleep. 5 weeks ago it got worse, so I went to my doctor and he's arranging a cardiologist to look at me (long waiting times in UK). Two weeks of sleep deprivation later I'm an anxious depressed mess. Dr puts me on Fluoxetine suggests anxiety may be the cause.

I get akathisia bad, come off it, the doctor replaces it with low dose citalopram, which I'm tolerating. As well as low dose diazepam and zopiclone.

Nothing is helping with the sleep disorder, which I believe is a parasomnia, possibly caused by stress/anxiety, but now the cause of suicidal thoughts due to extreme sleep deprivation.

There's anecdote around that AD use or discontinuation cause such parasomnias.

Any advice?

Thank you, and good luck.

Edited by Altostrata
added screen name to title

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kesh

• UnfoldingSky

• Rosetta

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, kesh.

On this site, antidepressants and withdrawal causing sleep disruption is taken as a fact.

About 10 weeks ago, did you take any drugs? Such as an antibiotic?

Going on and off psychiatric drugs and having adverse reactions to psychiatric drugs, such as you've experienced with fluoxetine, can sensitize our nervous system to any neuroactive drug, supplement, even foods.

Getting akathisia to a recent dose of fluoxetine may have awakened this sensitivity. Did you start diazepam and zopiclone at the same time you started citalopram?

Please try to remain calm. It's very possible many of your current symptoms, including the insomnia, have been caused by drugs and adding and switching drugs have complicated your situation further. If you can unravel this, we may be able to reduce your symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The thing that happened 10 weeks ago wss more work stress, particularly a repetitive set of computer tasks that went on for a weeks. I'm sure such things rewire your brain.

The zop and diaz were started at the same time as the cit.

Last night I slept well thank god.

Thanks for your interest.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

• 2 weeks later...

My doctor is reluctant to continue giving me diazepam, but happy to keep giving me citalopram. I have only been on 2mg diazepam a few weeks so he thinks I am not dependent, but I suspect I am.

I speak to him in a few days and will ask for a taper if he won't continue prescribing normally, and pray he doesn't say go cold turkey.

But this taper is the wrong way around. The advice here is to taper the AD first.

Anything I can do to make this bearable? I have been on everything only a short while (perhaps a month), so am hopeful not too much damage is done. But I'm probably AD kindled as hell from years of on/off AD use.

If you've only been on diazepam for 2 weeks you may well be able to cut it down with minimum withdrawal. If I were you I'd do it now as I've seen people hooked on benzos in 3 weeks. The benzo is a bigger threat than the a/d issue at this moment in time. Just my opinion. I wish I'd had the good sense to drop it at two weeks as I've suffered for nearly 2 years on benzos.

Staz

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Lyrica 300mg May 2016 - July 2017 - Taper from Jan to Jul 17 awful taper.

Lofepramine 150mg  November 2016 - January 2017 Swift w/d as it didn't work

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Quetiapine dropped Jan 17th 2018.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

Mirtazapine 15mg since March 2015 - current - pooped out within 4 weeks

Thanks, but not two weeks. I'm nearly four weeks on diazepam.

I am thinking it might be good to do it first, because ADs have been helpful to me in the past, especially with sleep and anxiety, even with some temporary adverse reactions. But I want to get off everything. 

44 minutes ago, kesh said:

Thanks, but not two weeks. I'm nearly four weeks on diazepam.

I am thinking it might be good to do it first, because ADs have been helpful to me in the past, especially with sleep and anxiety, even with some temporary adverse reactions. But I want to get off everything. 

You could probably get away with a quick taper in that case. Believe you me the sooner you stop your benzo the better as the longer you continue the harder it gets.

Dosulepin 75mg 1996 - 1997 tapered off no problem - Prozac sporadic use between 1995 and 2011 usually 9 months then off.

Mirtazapine 2015 tapered off after 4 months no problem -Prozac 20mg 2012-2015 tapered off no problems

Prozac 20mg April 2016-May 2016 stopped ct after 4 weeks due to adverse reaction I believe to be serotnin toxicity due to mirtazapine interaction

Escitlopram 10 mg May 2016 - cut to 5mg May 2016  stopped ct November 2016 no W/d's noted

Quetiapine 75mg November 2016 changed to 150 XL May2017 changed to 150mg IR July 2017 reduced to in 25mg steps from July to 50mg Oct 17. 37.5mg 12th Nov 17 - 35mg 20 Nov 17 - 30mg 22 Nov 17 - 25mg 24 Nov 17 dropped to 20mg Dec 17, 15mg Jan 18. Current taken at bedtime.

Dosulepin 75mg May 2017 - increased in 25mg steps to 175mg Oct 17 Reduced to 150mg Nov 17 current taken at bedtime

Diazepam 15mg May 2016 - c/t'd by shrink after 6 weeks. Reinstated at 12mg after 4 weeks June 16 - current 4mg 3 times a day morning, 2.30pm and bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kesh,

Can you add the zopiclone to your signature?  That should prove helpful to you, as well as us, in the long run.  Also include any medications/drugs used in the last 12-24 months.

I did notice your other posts as well, about your Diazapam.  It might be best to post that kind of thing here in your introduction, for now. (we mods often do move that stuff as well, to keep everything in one place).  Your introduction can act as a kind of journal for you.  Unfortunately........ often none of this goes really quickly.......the tapering and eventually getting off of medications/drugs.  So hopefully.......it will be more helpful to you to see some of your progress all in one place.

We also have a members only benzo forum, where you might want to start a topic and post as well. 

So, you have been on the Diazapam since December 13th?  And your prescriber would like to discontinue that soon?

Are you interested in coming off all your medications at some point? 

I can only imagine how you are feeling right now........you have rapidly reduced your citalopram,  after a recent C/T from fluoxetine.  And also started the diazapam and propranolol on December 13th........as well as zopiclone.  Did I get all that correct?

And so.......you were medication/drug free up until the time of your stressor 10 weeks ago?

On 12/20/2017 at 5:02 AM, kesh said:

The thing that happened 10 weeks ago wss more work stress, particularly a repetitive set of computer tasks that went on for a weeks. I'm sure such things rewire your brain.

The zop and diaz were started at the same time as the cit.

Last night I slept well thank god.

Thanks for your interest.

Could you also put all of your present medications into the drug interaction checker at drugs.com and then share those results with us here. 

(if possible......:blink:B).........I'm wondering now on my own choice of bright blue above, it's a bit........well........?)

Good job on finding your way around the site as well.   There is a wealth of collected information here.  And.......welcome aboard survivingantidepressants!  From a fellow passenger.  :)

Best, and Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
additional thoughts and comments

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

That's my thoughts sometimes. A long taper is just more time to get more hooked. But I'm new to this.

Have added Zopiclone. Am successfully off it. Have just had four quite good to excellent nights' sleep in a row. This thread's title was written during a catastrophising anxiety bout. You are correct in your description of my med history. And I was drug free before the 10 days of fluoxetine which began on Nov 25th or thereabouts.

I am interested in coming off all meds. But am somewhat split. In the past AD's have helped me a lot, and I have got off them painlessly. But I now suspect I am kindled (though my high anxiety may be making me fear the worst). 

• Moderator Emeritus

Awesome.  I did a bit of editing to my post as well.  And excellent on the sleep improvement!

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

25 minutes ago, kesh said:

That's my thoughts sometimes. A long taper is just more time to get more hooked. But I'm new to this.

You are correct. You will just get hooked. Get off now while you still can. You may get some sxs but dragging it out will only get you to the place I'm in and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

You asked for interactions, they are.

Propanalol and citalopram may cause irregular heart beat and the effects of that (dizziness, shortness of breath, cyanosis, etc).

Diazapam and citalopram may potentiate each other's sedating effects, so confusion, drowsiness,  poor motor coordination.

Propanalol and Diazapam lists nothing of note.

As I'm on very low doses I'm feeling fairly ok about these.

• Moderator Emeritus

Seriously.......you're feeling okay about those drug/medication interactions?   Are you driving?

Do you have heart arrythmia's or high blood pressure or is your prescriber using the propranolol for anxiety/W/D symptoms?  40 mg. is indeed a very high dose for anxiety/W/D symptoms.  Propranolol should also be treated as a medication to taper off........probably more judiciously than your prescriber will recommend.

I don't think a daily dose of 2 mg. of diazepam is particularly low either.  Is this your first time on a benzo?  

The dosages may also be a bit irrelevant overall.......as far as safety goes at this point, with your history of going on and off medications. 

It's a bit concerning......the whole picture. 

I will just refer you back to the tapering section in the forums and encourage you to read a couple of the pinned topics at the top:

why taper by 10%,

as well as the tapering FAQ's(especially encouraging you to read Dr. Glenmuller's W/D symptom checklist and use it,  keeping notes on paper, rating daily symptom patterns.  How to talk to your doctor. What to expect from your doctor. As well as brain remodeling)

It does sound like you are still "somewhat split" as far as your decision making goes around coming off medications.  You might also consider posting on our benzo forum for some more experienced advice on getting off your diazepam and just to get some more input, that may be to your benefit, when you next see your prescribing doctor.

I honestly think it isn't a bad idea to just HOLD right now for just a bit longer, due to so many changes recently.

Do take a look at some of the pinned topics as well at the top of Symptoms and Self Care and see what seems to suit or help.

Best, love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Thank you for taking time to reply. This is great support. 

My fear of holding is that it will entrench the Diazapam addiction, as I have been on it a much shorter time than most, I am having to balance the positives of holding, with the increase of my dependence through holding, a dependance that may not be fully established yet.

I think I have used benzos four times in the past. Single dose  years apart. A single pill given by a friend. So I doubt I am benzo kindled. I don't drink, and only drank occasionally in the past. (I believe cross kindling can occur with benzos and alcohol).

I have posted about faster tapers for people on low dose, short time benzos in the benzo forum. One reply only that said get off ASAP, but not sure how authoritative that reply was.

2mg is a lower starting dose than anyone here that I have seen, including equivalent doses of other benzos.

Iirc 40 to 60mg propanalol per day is standard for anxiety in UK prescribing guides.

The propanalol is indeed another thing I mean to come off. As is citalopram, as is tobacco. 

Right now I am beginning to feel the confidant, mood-lifting, sleep stabilising effects of the citalopram. This may give me the strength to lower the Diazapam (as Ashton believes, though this site generally doesn't), but the Diazapam and propanalol may be masking citalopram side effects of agitation.

I don't drive, and have had my heart checked out for arhythmias.

• Moderator Emeritus

At the bottom of the Forums list(Support) on the Home page there is a section titled:  Members- only benzo forum.  You should be able to start a new topic there........there is a new topic button at the top right of the forum list as well as several pinned topics to read.  Many of the pinned topics are not open for further comment but provide relevant information.

The posts that you mention posting are currently in the Tapering section of the Forums(Support).

:wub:  I shall try and link you up with some of the items I mentioned in my previous post ASAP.  Meantime, do try for a daily entry either here, or on paper of:

drugs/medications taken in the am, dosages, and symptoms

drugs/medications taken in the afternoon, dosages, and symptoms

drugs/medications taken in the pm, dosages, and symptoms

drugs/medications taken in the night, dosages, and symptoms

I think you'll find this will prove to be helpful.  As well as looking at some of the items I posted in my post above.

1 hour ago, kesh said:

My fear of holding is that it will entrench the Diazapam addiction, as I have been on it a much shorter time than most, I am having to balance the positives of holding, with the increase of my dependence through holding, a dependance that may not be fully established yet.

I agree.

Are you still under the work stress now?

Edited by manymoretodays
grammar, clarity

No. I had to quit work and go and stay with family because I was so bad. I'm pretty sure that level of bad was the high dose (for me) of SSRI. Now much reduced.

I will start posting my meds and symptoms in this thread. And I will make a post in the benzo forum. 

Right now though I'm going to enjoy feeling relatively normal and not think about all this horror for a few hours. 

So I haven't slept. It's nearly 5am and know that I won't sleep. If I don't sleep the dreadful agitation returns. Idk if it's true akathisia or whether it is just agitation. Soon will follow huge anxiety and suicidal ideation. Absurd what missing a night's sleep does to me.

I cut to 1.5mg diazepam 5 days ago. Even though I was writing here I was on 2mg. My need to lie to doctors (as being straight with them doesn't often work), seems to have crossed over to here. My apologies. 

Great sleep for 5 nights and now this.

Today's dose/symptom diary.

Early morning 2.5mg citalopram 10mg propanalol

Lunchtime 10mg propanalol 

Evening 10mg propanalol

Before bed 1.5mg diazepam  (day 6 of cut from 2mg) 10mg  propanalol. 

10 cigarettes through out day.

Symptoms. No sleep last night. Waves of agitation and restlessness that last a few hours. Not nearly as severe as I've known it. Tingly electric feeling in extremities. Together with anxiety, mind running over if this cut is the right thing. Will I have symptoms forever. Catastrophising. Between times feel normal, confident I'm doing the right thing. Some slight twitching now and again. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Good job kesh,

I saw that you got started on the benzo forum too.  Excellent.

Yes, the honesty is good too.  When you do go in and talk to your prescriber, it may be a bit difficult.  To explain all that's going on and your new understanding.......all while hoping to get the prescriptions that you need, to do further tapering with.  You don't have to totally educate your prescriber.  Perhaps work on a script for your next visit.

Going through this stuff is tough.  And you may continue to find postings specific to you a bit conflicting/confusing.  In the long run though, you will grow I think.........in that way where you can learn to discern,  and make some of your own decisions.  You sound very bright.......I'm referring to one post of yours regarding receptor capacity.

Do try and take a look at some of the books and links that Shep gave you.  Anatomy of an Epidemic(book) made so much sense to me, yet, it still can be difficult, why others don't all realize the simple problem sometimes, that our drugs/medications can keep us sick, make us worse,  more often than not.

You won't have symptoms forever.  And sleep kesh sleep........I hope tonight goes better in the sleep department.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays 

Edited by manymoretodays

Thanks manymoretodays. Last night's sleep was beautiful, 10 hours. Quite twitchy today with that SSRI good mood. Classic effect of a few weeks on SSRIs for me. Used to like it, but now it just rings alarm bells.

Today's dose/symptom diary.

Morning 2.5mg citalopram 10mg propanalol.

Lunchtime 10mg propanalol.

Evening 10mg propanalol

Before bed 1.5mg diazepam  (day 7 of cut from 2mg)

8 cigarettes through out day.

Note, this is a reduction in propanalol from 40mg to 30mg

Symptoms. 10 hours sleep last night, glorious! Slight restlessness, probably at pre drug levels though and I am just assuming it's a bad sign. Tingly electric feeling is much less. High and energised feeling in extremities. Mild anxiety, mostly over whether I won't sleep and have a **** day tomorrow, but also about getting well again.

This morning I spoke to my doctor. He says that the sleep disturbance/parasomnia is almost certainly caused by anxiety. He wants me to increase citalopram to 10mg. He also prescribed 30 more days of 2mg valium and 40mg propanalol. 

• Administrator

Please don't change the propanolol dosage at the same time you're changing diazepam.

It sounds like you had some number of days of disturbed sleep after reducing diazepam. I'd be very careful about reducing it as you seem to have a great fear of sleeplessness.

Those withdrawal symptoms indicate the extent of your physiological dependence on diazepam. Please note that as you take lower doses, a decrease of 0.5mg becomes more precipitous -- your nervous system will notice it more. At 2.0mg, a decrease of 0.5mg is 25%. At 1.5mg, a decrease of 0.5mg is 33.3%. 

We recommend a 10% decrease calculated on the last dosage -- the absolute amounts of the decreases keep getting smaller, while the rate of decrease (slope) stays at 10%.

Please don't push this, a misstep could cause quite severe insomnia for a much longer time. We see this frequently. At least you have another month's prescription to taper.

As for the cause of your sleep problems, it's up to you to decide if your doctor is correct.  Stress and worry certainly can affect sleep. However, the probability that your doctor can interpret withdrawal symptoms, adverse effects of drugs, or paradoxical reactions is very low.

For stress and worry, particularly when they are keeping you from sleeping, we highly recommend learning how to meditate.

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Mindfulness and Acceptance

Good links for anxiety/worry

Please also read:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I slept wonderfully last night.10 hours. The good night/bad night thing is fairly common with me, and I think the big 25% cut is reasonable when I was only on 2mg for three weeks prior to the cut and before that was benzo naive.

8 or 9 days into the cut and I am feeling zero anxiety. 

Further cuts will be more conservative. I know you need to be more careful as you get close to zero, and I will have been on the benzo longer.

Back on 40mg of propanalol though. 

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

4 hours sleep and woke up with some akathisia. I managed to resist it for a while, staying lying down. It's more an inner restlessness, I do not need to pace, but I am close. The tiredness is perhaps winning the horrible fight in my body and brain. Holding on for the next window. 

Dose of meds yesterday and today will be as usual.

2.5mg citalopram in morning. 40mg propanalol spread throughout the day. 1.5mg diazepam before bed.

I hope to stabilise here then cut citalopram by 5 or 10%. Citalopram is probably the cause of the akathisia, and the akathisia is what I dread the most.

Acupuncture today, which on previous days has allowed rest during the treatment. 

Today is proving terrible. Internal restlessness and doom typical of akathisia. Yesterday I felt fine, like 90% well, but for some reason that does not help. I keep thinking I will have akathisia forever.  Other times I think conventional medicine is correct and I just have to find the right dose of the right med, this is just my illness, not the meds, making me feel so terrible.

Edited by manymoretodays
took out a section

So a window began at 4pm. And though the akathisia has passed, the fear of akathisia and the fear of insomnia are strong.

Acupuncture was very relaxing and I was dropping off only to be zapped awake again. My acupuncturist believes she can fix me, my mother (a therapist) believes therapeutic things can fix me, my doctor thinks meds can fix me. I wish I had any faith in getting well.

• Moderator Emeritus

Kesh,

Claire Weekes was a doctor who did groundbreaking work in dealing with anxiety. With your "fear of..." symptom, it might be helpful to read some of her work about dealing with fear.

I can't pick up the link.  Google survivingantidepressants.org the claire weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

The thing to fix is the akathisia. Akathisia being treated as an anxiety problem is a way to annoy akathisia sufferers, offering a sticking plaster to someone about to stabbed. But I know Claire Weekes' work.

Yesterday I slept great, had a window from akathisia, did normal stuff, hung out with friends. Was great.

Meds same as before.

Last night slept not great, maybe 3 or 4 hours. Woke up with akathisia. It really is the worst. Praying it passes, and eventually passes for ever.

New symptoms today. Very loose stools and going often. Hot/cold feeling like flu. I suppose I could be ill, not everything is the meds.

Aka has diminished, maybe gone. Can concentrate enough to read. Left very tired by it as usual. 

• Administrator

Good to hear that, kesh. It may help to remind yourself that many people who experience the waves and windows are frustrated because of the lack of predictability.

When you have bouts of disappointment, you will have to find the resources within yourself to stay calm and help yourself heal. Allowing yourself to spiral into doomy thoughts does not help. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

Thanks alto. I am doing some meditation and mindfulness techniques. Will check out those links.

18 hours ago, kesh said:

New symptoms today. Very loose stools and going often. Hot/cold feeling like flu. I suppose I could be ill, not everything is the meds.

Aka has diminished, maybe gone. Can concentrate enough to read. Left very tired by it as usual. 

Just checking in Kesh. Glad to here aka has diminished. 

I’ve had the flu like stuff and bathroom issues. Normally another wd thing for me but could be flu. 

Wishing you rest. 

2009-2011 mirtazapine 45mg plus clonaz as needed. Start Lexapro Nov 2011. 

June 2016 Zopiclone, July-Sept Trazodone 50mg, adverse reaction, ct, started pregabalin, reduced Lexapro from 20 to 15mg

Start of 2017 on 15mg lexapro, 100mg pregablin. April added 15mg mirtazapine. End May.  Start June stop pregablin after two week taper.  End June.  Stopped Lexapro 15mg 3 wk taper. Start July Mirt 30mg + Diaz daily 2-4mg End July  returned to mirtaz 15mg + lexapro at 10mg reinstated. 4th Aug - 19 Sept Zopiclone (3.75 then 7.5 then 3.75 at the end)

diazepam 7-8mg day since then. 16 Sept cut lex to 5mg. 5-6 Oct swapped 5mg lex to 8.15am and 15mg mirtazipine to 11pm

8 Oct onwards sticking to 6mg diazepam p/day 3 doses/ 2 Feb start 1mg clonazepam, stop Diaz. 21 Feb 2% cut lex. 8 March 12.5% clon cut. Now take .5 clon 9am, .375 5pm(0.875 mg daily clonazepam) 16 May  @8% clon reduction so 9am dose .43(0.805 mg daily clonazepam)

2 July 10% Lexapro reduction to 4.5mg. 9 Aug .25mg lex cut  to 4.25mg/ 13 Aug 4.5mg

2018 October Lexapro 4.5 to 4.25 mg  clonazepam 0.80 mg  mirtazapine 15 mg

2019 October present drugs:  Lexapro 2.75 mg(tapers of 0.25 increments in last year at 5 -9 week intervals),  clonazepam 0.78 mg(taper of .02 mg November 2018),  mirtazapine 15 mg

2020 January 5th Lexapro taper to 2.57 mg(2%drop), total clonazepam 0.78 mg, mirtazapine 15 mg

previous signature here  recent dosing and symptom logs here

Thanks Nikki

Meds still held at 2.5mg citalopram in morning. 40mg propanalol spread throughout the day. 1.5mg diazepam before bed. Cigarettes as needed. Typically ten a day.

Slept well, maybe 8 hours. Took a while to get to sleep because of the jerks/rushes while dropping off. Woke up a bit anxious and depressed. No akathisia. I haven't had much depression until now, totally eclipsed by other symptoms like mad howling fear. Almost welcome it, it feels somehow stabilising. As usual, if someone promised me no more akathisia, I'd take this.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, kesh said:

I haven't had much depression until now, totally eclipsed by other symptoms like mad howling fear. Almost welcome it, it feels somehow stabilising. As usual, if someone promised me no more akathisia, I'd take this.

Well said.  I definitely remember rating the trade off of one symptom for another.  :huh: