kesh

Adverse reaction after very short time on meds: Quicker taper?

kesh

Most tapering advice is for people who have been on medications for a while.

I want to know what to do if you have had an adverse reaction after just a week or two of use. Taper or just stop? Talking citalopram with 36 hour half life.

Altostrata

kesh, please read Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

If you have been taking a psychiatric drug for a month or more, the scientific literature says you are at risk for withdrawal symptoms when you go off.

If you are taking a drug and fairly soon have an adverse reaction, you should go off quickly. How quickly depends on 1) the severity of the adverse reaction; 2) the length of time you have been taking the drug; 3) the size of the dosage.

- If it is a severe life-threatening reaction, such as anaphylaxis, you will need to quit the drug immediately and cope with withdrawal symptoms, should they arise.

- If it is a severe reaction such as akathisia or panic attacks, you should immediately reduce the dosage, such as by 25%. If this relieves the symptoms, you are afforded time to go off the rest more gradually.

- If you have started a drug at a high dosage and feel it's too strong for you, you might reduce the dosage, such as by 25%. If this relieves the symptoms, you are afforded time to go off the rest more gradually.

Any adverse reaction indicates the dosage is too high. If the reaction is severe, your body is saying it cannot tolerate the drug and you should not take it at all.

Staz

Good advice from Alto but get off the benzo as soon as you possibly can. I got hooked in 6 weeks.

Staz.