Spice81: Tingling burning numb hand

Spice81

Moderator note - link to benzo forum thread - Spice81: Please help

I’ve recently gone from years on fluoxetine to straight swap to citalapram for 5 weeks now straight swap to venlafaxine I’ve experienced bad diarrhoea nausea rapid weight loss due to no appetite and tingling burning knumb sensations in my hands anyone else experience this 

Edited by Shep
added screen name to title (Altostrata), added moderator note (Shep)

Fluoxetine 20mg January 2011-October 2017

The straight swap to citalapram 20mg October 2017

lorazepam 1mg October 2017

quatiapan 25mg June 2017 for sleep

straight swap from citalapram to venlafaxine December 5 at 37.5mg then upped to 75mg a week later

Stopped quetiapine may 28 2018 and changed to zopiclone 

Started venlafaxine December 5 at 37.5mg and upped dosage reaching 150mg

Reduced venlafaxine over a one month period and stopped around June 15 2018

also stoped the lorazepam June 15 2018

started 20mg fluoxetine 7th August 2018

witg 1mg lorazepam every morning and at around 1-2pm

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spice81

• Shep

• Altostrata

• nz11

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, Spice.

I moved your topic to the Introductions forum. You can post questions here and track your progress. Please follow it or bookmark it so you can find it again.

Those are acute withdrawal symptoms.

Why did you switch from citalopam to venlafaxine? Did you have an adverse reaction to citalopram? How long have you been on venlafaxine?

Why did you go off fluoxetine?

Do you have any fluoxetine or citalopram left?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yeah I do have fluoxetine left do you think I should go back to it ? I

worried as I’ve been on the venlafaxine now for around 2 weeks that it will mess me up again not that it already isn’t I’m going through hell at the moment worst panic attacks ever and feel really on edge 

i changed because a friend of mine was on venlafaxine and said it was really good and I just felt that the fluoxetine wasn’t really helping but how wrong was I 😥 Ive lost so much weight in these last few months it’s horrible I’ve got no appetite and just feel horrible all the time somebody please help me and give me some guidance 

straight swap from citalapram to venlafaxine December 5 at 37.5mg then upped to 75mg a week later

• Administrator

Even though you are taking venlafaxine, it sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms from Prozac.

To stop the withdrawal symptoms. I would go back to Prozac. However, having had this adverse reaction, your system may be sensitive to it now, and you might not be able to tolerate the dosage you had before. I suggest you take perhaps a quarter of the Prozac dosage you took before, the switching method is described here The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

You might find that nothing works like it used to, because your nervous system has been sensitized. As this is a site for going off drugs, I can't help you substitute one drug for another. Let us know if you want to go off completely. Good luck.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I’m going to the doc this arvo and I’ll discuss with him what to do next has any one else experienced the tingling hands it mainly happens when I’m lying down and on my phone and at night trying to sleep

So went to the docs and he said to stay on the venlafaxine 75mg and that we could up it if I wanted... I said no... he gave me some more lorazepam for bad moments but found it weird that I had pins and needles in my hands legs etc 

Someone please help me I was on fluoxetine for years and 7 weeks ago straight swapped to citalapram for 5 weeks  during this time I had nausea diorea and started to get pins and needles in my hands at night mostly when I sleep or using my phone lying down I wake up with knumb hands I’ve no appetite and have lost a lot of weight I’m now currently on venlafaxine for 2 1:2 weeks and nothing seems to have changed I’m so nervous and panicky please help

Sorry to see another kiwi fall into this horror show but so glad you have found sa.

Just a gentle reminder its only one intro per person. Sa has a good idea that everyones story is kept in one place. 

Moderators here aren't mind readers so please would you do a drug signature advising stop and start dates and drugs and doses. Mods cant help you unless you help the mods. Its as simple as that.

So it sounds like you ditched the citalopram and started ven which also isn't covering the wdl symptoms

You are a Prozac addict and suffering Prozac wdl symptoms. One of the reasons why its not a good idea to switch drugs is the new one may not cover the wdl off the old one also the new one may have adverse effects as well. You doctor is playing guessing games he has no way  of knowing how you are going to react to the new rosey red apple. 

Your doctor is an ignoramous. Have you thought about finding a new one. Sadly all doctors in this country are clueless about wdl off these drugs and will not acknowledge it other than to say 'relapse' !

Please introduce yourself to the nz members thread. In there you will find the addresses of bodies in which to make a complaint to. If you feel you have been harmed please write a complaint...esp to CARM in Dunedin. 

I personally urge you to write a complaint to CARM. Would you please give this serious consideration.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

So the hand tingling is normal withdrawal if I stopped and switched in such a quick manner ? It’s horrible and my anxiety is through the roof 

yeah I believe you are experiencing Prozac wdl no doubt that the exposure to cit. would have helped any either. 

What do you think about doing a drug signature?

Over 7 years a very deep dependence would have developed. You may have  needed to put aside years to taper off. What dose were you on?

Please do the drug sig. else I can only guess.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

It was pretty easy I have been on fluoxetine for at least 6 years 20mg then would occasionally take another pill on really bad days but not too often 

then 7and a half weeks ago my doc said to change straight to citalapram so I did. The next day he said so then started experiencing nausea in the morning after taking my pill and panic attacks more frequently I couldn’t handle it so told my new doc and he put me on venlafaxine the next day 37.5mg and stoped the citalapram.

after one week he increased it to 75 where I’ve been for 1 and a half weeks.

my main concern is the hand tingling and loss off appetite to the point I don’t eat and have lost so much weight.

if I’m really panicky during the day I’ll take a lorazepam and at night because I can’t sleep I take 25mg of quatiapine which calms me down and gives me some sleep.

In between all this  changing over and stopping I started getting the tingling in my hands and going knumb at night 

spice your doctor is turning you into a medicated train wreck. You cannot afford to keep on blindly trusting him.

Please are you able to do the drug signature. That's the block that appears beneath each post a person makes.

Using other psych drugs to cover wdl off prior psych drugs is not a wise move. How long have you been taking the antipsychotic Seroquel(quetiapine).

How long have you been taking the benzo lorazepam for. 

Please consider doing the drug sig. And list all the drugs you are taking.

Recovering paxil addict

Are you able to  get the book Anatomy of an epidemic by R Whitaker from the library.

It is well worth the read

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

I can try and is the drug signature where it says quote I’m unsure sorry

Fluoxetine 20mg for 10 years or more

citalapram 20mg 5weeks straight swap from fluoxetine 7.5 weeks ago

lorazopam for bad moments 12 weeks

quatiapine 25mg to sleep 12 weeks

just started venlafaxine 37.5  2.5 weeks ago and 1 week ago upped to 75mg

See at the top right corner of this site where your name appears.

Click on the drop down box and go to account settings then on the l.h.s you will see 'signature' that's where you do the drug sig. with dates. and dosages

Okay so you have been taking a benzo for 12 weeks (everyday?) then you are addicted and will need to taper it. The same for the Seroquel (?). Please confirm if you have been taking these every day for the 12 weeks. 

You know what, we aren't allowed to swear on this site, and personally I am against swearing  but sometimes there is a time and a place for it and I would like to throw a  brick at your stupid dangerous idiotic F#$%^ doctor. I was right ...your doctor is turning you into a medicated trainwreck.

You might like to run all these drugs you are taking through the drugs checker and copy and paste the results in this intro .

Originally I thought it would be easy to just go back to the Prozac but after squeezing (gee its hard painstaking work sometimes) out all these other drugs you are now on I just don't know where one would  start to unwind this injudicious irresponsible prescribing.

I am just so sorry.

nz11

later....re-reading

oh so you have stopped the citalopram and replaced it with ven. you might like to make that clear when you do the drug sig.

Recovering paxil addict

later....okay just returned from tracking down your original intro thread and having a read...I was too lazy to do that originally. 

Hopefully a mod can transfer this into it.

Please don't start anymore intros its only one per person. Don't worry easy trap for new people. 

I would like to say please find a new doctor but sadly I'm pretty sure the new will be just as misinformed.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Spice81 said:

Fluoxetine 20mg for 10 years or more

citalapram 20mg 5weeks straight swap from fluoxetine 7.5 weeks ago

lorazopam for bad moments 12 weeks

quatiapine 25mg to sleep 12 weeks

just started venlafaxine 37.5  2.5 weeks ago and 1 week ago upped to 75mg

Spice, I moved your latest posts into this thread. Please use this one thread for all of your questions and updates so all of your information is in one place.

To set up a signature:

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Question:  when you say you are taking lorazepam for "bad moments", how often are you taking it? 

Maybe once or twice a day depending on how I’m feeling 

I did the drug match and saved it but don’t know how to put it in 

I use quatiapine every night to sleep otherwise I can’t sleep.

i have no appetite what’s so ever and am really sick of theses pins and needles in my hands 😥

Well done on the drug sig.

you might like to advise what dose lorazepam you are on.

youjust copy and paste it.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
On 12/30/2017 at 3:47 AM, Shep said:

Question:  when you say you are taking lorazepam for "bad moments", how often are you taking it? 

14 hours ago, Spice81 said:

Maybe once or twice a day depending on how I’m feeling 

Thanks for the additional information.

Please also add in the dose that you are taking in your signature (for both lorazepam and quetiapine). 

Before you begin tapering, it's important to get on the same amount of medication at the same time every day. My advice would be to find the best dose of lorazepam that works for you and take that same dose every day instead of as-needed. You've been on lorazepam for at least 6 weeks, so it's likely you may be dependent on it already. 

Are you able to sleep without the lorazepam? What symptoms do you have that make you feel you need to take it? 

The pins and needles symptom is very common during withdrawal. This thread may help:

Paresthesia: Pins & Needles, Numbness, Tingling, Burning Sensations

You may also want to read this post on dysautonomia, as this these types of painful sensations are related:

Dysautonomia

I use the lorazepam 1mg when I feel real panicky and yuck mostly in the morning the quatiapine 25mg I take at night is for sleeping and it’s the only thing that really relaxes me.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great job on your signature, Spice. 

Would you be able to limit your lorazepam to 1 mg each day at the same time? It's important to get set up with the same drugs taken at the same dose and time each day before setting up your taper. 

For help dealing with panic from non-drug ways, please see:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Are you taking any supplements? 

No supplements but not eating as I feel so rubbish and have no appetite it’s so horrible . I try not to take the lorazepam if I can help it. Only when I get really bad do I take it.

i take my venlafaxine in the morning 75mg and then just lye around all day stressing about how crap I feel I Sip lots of water and that’s about it. This morning I had my pills with some muesli and will try have some lunch.

I’m honestly thinking that I should go back to the fluoxetine at least I used to be able to eat and actually function but just very scared as it’s been a horrible 3 months and I’m not getting any better at all.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

I try not to take the lorazepam if I can help it. Only when I get really bad do I take it.

How many times a week are you taking it? This is important to see if you are already dependent on it.

4 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

I’m honestly thinking that I should go back to the fluoxetine at least I used to be able to eat and actually function but just very scared as it’s been a horrible 3 months and I’m not getting any better at all.

Please see Alto's comment about that here from earlier in your thread: 

On 12/27/2017 at 8:20 PM, Altostrata said:

Even though you are taking venlafaxine, it sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms from Prozac.

To stop the withdrawal symptoms. I would go back to Prozac. However, having had this adverse reaction, your system may be sensitive to it now, and you might not be able to tolerate the dosage you had before. I suggest you take perhaps a quarter of the Prozac dosage you took before, the switching method is described here The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

You might find that nothing works like it used to, because your nervous system has been sensitized. As this is a site for going off drugs, I can't help you substitute one drug for another. Let us know if you want to go off completely. Good luck.

• Moderator Emeritus

Spice, I've asked the other mods to give you advice regarding the Prozac Bridge and the possible reinstatement of fluoxetine. 

In order for us to better assist you, it would be very helpful if you could do a few days of writing out your drugs and symptoms in a journal. This is a very good format to use: 

Keep notes on paper about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

My symptoms are the same every day 

I will do it from today onwards but they are pretty simple

wake up in the morning take my 75mg venlafaxine.

feel yuck and panicky all day don’t eat because I just feel yuck and anxious. 

Sip water all day then around 7pm I’ll take my quatiapine 25mg and go to sleep

Hi I’m after some advice please

i was taking fluoxetine 20mg for about 7 years would have my ups and downs but generally pretty good.

about 8 weeks ago I was feeling crap and my sister is on citalapram and said she felt more stable on them so I talked with my doctor and he put me on 20mg citalapram the very next day no weaning straight swap.

i was on these for 5 weeks and just couldn’t bare the nausea and started getting pins and needles in my hands at night and waking up with knumb hands which I still get.

so after 5 weeks I said to my doctor that this was horrible which he then has now put me on 75mg venlafaxine straight swap from the citalapram no bridging weaning etc.

im taking lorazepam 1mg mid morning to hel with feeling so crap and 25mg quatiapine at night as I can’t sleep.

i feel absolutely horrible I have the shakes I have lost so much weight because I have zero appetite and am so anxious I can’t do anything.

what would your recommendation be now as I reall think venlafaxine is not for me and I want my life back.

i really think I should go back to fluoxetine but am scared about doing it as I’ve been on venlafaxine now for around 3 weeks I know you have to give drugs time but I really think fluoxetine better helped my anxiety. Please help.

carl

• Administrator
On 12/27/2017 at 11:41 PM, Spice81 said:

So went to the docs and he said to stay on the venlafaxine 75mg and that we could up it if I wanted... I said no... he gave me some more lorazepam for bad moments but found it weird that I had pins and needles in my hands legs etc 

This is very typical advice from doctors. Very few of them recognize adverse effects and even fewer know anything about withdrawal symptoms or what to do about them. That is exactly why this site exists.

Tingling hands is a withdrawal symptom, as is sleeplessness and appetite disruption.

If I were you, I'd take 2mg of fluoxetine right away, at the same time each day. You can make a liquid from the capsules you have and take a small amount with an oral syringe. This method is described here Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Please let us know how you're doing.

It's also very important for you to tell us how often you're taking lorazepam. You may be getting rebound anxiety from it -- when it wears off, you can get bad symptoms. This could be contributing to your daytime anxiety and sleeplessness.

Many, many people come here in exactly the same situation as yourself, with withdrawal symptoms, dependent on a  benzo, and on a couple of other drugs that may also be causing problems. We see this all the time.

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This is very important to identify which are withdrawal symptoms and which are adverse reactions to drugs.

Ok I think I will do the 2 mg tomorrow morning do I stay on the 75mg venlafaxine and if so how long and how does the rest go etc

I really try to only take lorazepam once a day normally around 10am 

• Moderator Emeritus
28 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

Ok I think I will do the 2 mg tomorrow morning do I stay on the 75mg venlafaxine and if so how long and how does the rest go etc

Yes, please keep everything else the same as you re-introduce the fluoxetine. It's best to only make one change at a time. 

This thread will help you understand the length of time and what to expect with a reinstatement: 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

More helpful information: 

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

3 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

This is good. Try not to take any more than this because you'll want to see how you're reacting to the fluoxetine reinstatement and using a benzo when you feel panicky could be masking any problems with the reinstatement. So sticking to this one time dose at 10 am sounds like a good plan going forward. 

Please keep updating and let us know how you do. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Spice, I saw the new thread you started over in the Symptoms & Self Care section and moved it here in your thread (it's the above post located here). Please post your questions about your specific taper here on your Intro thread. It makes it much easier for mods to answer your questions when they are in one place than when your posts are scattered over the site. Thanks. 

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

Let's get the Prozac started first, maybe for a week, then reduce venlafaxine to 37.5mg, it probably isn't doing you any good.

21 minutes ago, Spice81 said:

Those notes on paper are very important -- please track your symptoms throughout the day so we can see what the lorazepam is doing.