Hallowas: Extremely exhausted but awake - Mechanism? What to do?

Hallowas

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and I can't take it anymore so I want to keep it as short as possible as I have no energy whatsoever and this would be the most important issue to fix.

I took remeron for a few days and quit without taper and also had quetiapine for a week in a psych ward withouth withdrawal either... that was 4 months ago

Since then progressively I developed akathisia which seems like went away now but the problem is... I am extremely tired and extremely awake at the same time and I've lost ENORMOUS amounts of energy due to this.. where my consciousness is reduced too 1/10 of what it usually is as well as cognitive abilities because if I just slept badly for a few days.... I couldn't compenste for the lack of sleep by lying down or so because nothing would happen... I'd just lie there with my thoughts and wouldn't reach the next state of relaxation where I'd at least could compensate ffor the lack of sleep...... the same is also with sleep... I lie there... and at first I just wouldn't sleep at all... now months later it's like I'm so exhausted that I just fall into a coma or so at night... where I'm just "sleeping" but my brain feels on all the time... like I feel as if I had no deep sleep at all.. and this went on forever now.. just losing more and more energy each week...

Can somebody explain the mechanism as to why this happens? which brain parts are involved? is this a dopamine or serotonin issue? It is driving me mad and it is seriously killing me because my brain keeps me awake all the time and at the same time I'm beyond exhausted and can't do anything....

Normally when I'm tired... I get over that tired feeling by just laying down... but I won't doze of or anything... brain just stays awake and eats energy...

I used benzos for this but it doesn't seem to make a difference at all... and now I'm just addicted... 

I feel I need meds to solve this issue.... I have chronic fatigue syndrome.. was tired and exhausted all the time and was in bed half the day... now I have this issue here where I'm exhausted and can't sleep or relax or compensate in any way.... 

What's the mechanism and what should I do? Energy reserves are completely exhausted but body is still keeping me wide awake... hows that even possible... 

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days

Sept 2017 Sporadic intake of mirtazapine once in a while

Sept 26 - Octobre 3 2017 occasional mirtazapine at 3,5mg. 

Sept 26 - Octobre 3th Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, 4th day 150mg then back to 50mg  after severe reaction then stopped abruptly (No taper)

Octobre 6 - Octobre 13 2017 mirtazapine occasionally

Novembre-Decembre 2017 baclofen 5mg at night... I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... Took Cyproheptadine 4mg for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre 2017 Stopped Baclofen. No Taper. Got flurazepam 27,4mg as alternative and have been taking it every day since.

Decembre 18th 2017 - January 7th 2018  12,5mg clozapine, inconsistent intake. Sometimes took for days then stopped etc... Abruptly stopped clozpaine on 7th january because I've got a cold and got high inflammatory markers and my blood tests looked weird. No taper.

Decembre 18th 2017 - February 1th 2018 Flurazepam 27,4mg

February 2nd 2018 - February 15th Flurazepam 20,55mg

February 16th 2018 till now Flurazepam 17,1mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hallowas: Extremely exhausted but awake - Mechanism? What to do?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hallowas and welcome to SA,

Q:  Have you taken ANY psychiatric drugs before the ones mentioned in your post?  It is important that we know your drug history.

We ask all members to create a drug signature so we can see your history at a glance.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Problems sleeping is a common problem.  Here are SA's topics:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

Sleep Hypnosis, Guided Meditations, Calming Videos

This is your own introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Just created a signature and wanted to expand on it too as it wouldn't fit normally.

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 (Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days in total because of personality changes, no taper)

Sept 2017 Sporadic intake of mirtazapine once in a while because of sleep problems that developed weeks later... intake sometimes on 2 consecutive days.. sometimes not at all

Sept 26 - Octobre 3 (Still occoasional mirtazapine at 3,5mg, but from Sept 26 - Octobre 3 Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, immediate development of akathisia 4. day I took 150... immediate symptoms of all kinds of dyskinesia, akathisia etc... continued taking 50mg at night... still strong akathisia but didn't know what it was at that time, also visual problems started to develop)

Octobre 6 - Octobre 30 (Still had akathisia & tried to take mirtazapine some days then go off and on... maybe took it 5-6 times thinking it's withdrawal akathisia & thinking it would help me with sleep but didn't happen. Also tried anticholinergic for akathisia and sleep but didn't help. Took some diazepam for sleep from my psychiatrist but didn't help too ) I basically haven't really slept since Sept 26th & the introduction of quetiapine... on top of that I got some dyskinesia which dissapeared later...

Novembre-Decembre Still akathisia and couldn't sleep... out of desperation started using baclofen 5mg at night... which helped me sleep every other night...I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... at the same time got prescriped Cyproheptadine because I thought I was having serotonin syndrome... it helped with sleep a bit... altough I stopped having deep sleep since taking quetiapine... Took Cyproheptadine for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre Somewhere in the middle of the month I had my last baclofen tablet and then went to the doctor to get an alternative for sleep. Got flurazepam 27,4mg and have been taking it every day since this day. (not tapered of baclofen but just changed to flurazepam))

Decembre 18 - Now Started taking clozapine 12,5mg because my girlfriend told me I am psychotic and though I need to take something. So I took 12,5mg clozapine at 18 and 19th decembre and continued to take it... I think it made me sleep better immediately but I have forgotten whether I took it every single day or sporadically sometimes... I think I took it for a week then stopped taking it for a day or so then resumed... the sleep deprivation really messed up A lot... I don't fully know... anyway... I really stopped taking it a week ago because I got a cold and got high inflammatory so my blood values looked weird but doc said I could continue... Sp I was kinda off clozapine for  5 days and was kind of manic & couldn't sleep at all... but very very exhausted... I was again having 3 nights without deep sleep at all.. feeling like I was asleep but being aware of it...then when I took clozapine again it seems like I had deep sleep for 2 days after taking it... didn't take it anymore after that and no deep sleep again... just extremely exhausted I go to bed I have a few dreams but no deep sleep & wake up always like haven't slept in 10 days... On top of that I am having very weird issues with my eyes... like everything is kind of blurred... I can't look straight at what I'm looking at in order to read it... and the processing is kinda off... I have light sensitivity & light perception issues that got worse over time... like my eyes & light feels completely off.

Edited by ChessieCat
added spacing

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days

Sept 26 - Octobre 3th Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, 4th day 150mg then back to 50mg  after severe reaction then stopped abruptly (No taper)

Novembre-Decembre 2017 baclofen 5mg at night... I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... Took Cyproheptadine 4mg for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre 2017 Stopped Baclofen. No Taper. Got flurazepam 27,4mg as alternative and have been taking it every day since.

Decembre 18th 2017 - January 7th 2018  12,5mg clozapine, inconsistent intake. Sometimes took for days then stopped etc... Abruptly stopped clozpaine on 7th january because I've got a cold and got high inflammatory markers and my blood tests looked weird. No taper.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find some helpful information in SA's topic:  Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Should I try to reinstate something?

Also what's happening to my vision? Just after starting quetiapine and quitting I remember I had more and more trouble reading. I went to see the eye doctor like 5-6 times and everything was perfect....

But it just further deteriorated like I can't read normally anymore I need to compensate by looking differently at words etc... it's so strange.

Hi,

I had some problems with my blood work previously while being on clozapine. I've been on it for 3 weeks or so and not 100% regularly if you can see my signature.

I had high inflammatory markers which is unusual for me so I stopped taking the medication a week ago. Haven't slept well and had some rebound reactions since then.

Should I reinstate it again now? I mean the dose is low and I haven't been on it for too long...

But I think it made my eye problems from the other drug withdrawals worse or the withdrawal.... (blurred/unfocused vision/difficulty reading/light sensitivity etc...)

I'd like some help. Also maybe look at my signature I think I could need some more help?

Thanks

Should I try to reinstate something?

Any help?

bump

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, ChessieCat said:

Have you taken ANY psychiatric drugs before the ones mentioned in your post?  It is important that we know your drug history.

bump back to you

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Welcome to sa Hallowas

Why did you go to a psych ward 4 months ago.

This might come as a surprise but these are not aspirins . They are very dangerous life altering chemicals. Getting involved with them is also perilous from many angles one might end up listening to voices of family or friends who are not aware of their dangers and effects and give you unfortunate directions.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Do you have any other symptoms apart from sleep issues and vision issues?

Recovering paxil addict

9 hours ago, nz11 said:

Welcome to sa Hallowas

Why did you go to a psych ward 4 months ago.

This might come as a surprise but these are not aspirins . They are very dangerous life altering chemicals. Getting involved with them is also perilous from many angles one might end up listening to voices of family or friends who are not aware of their dangers and effects and give you unfortunate directions.

I thought I had neurological issues.. not knowing it was mirtazapine withdrawal.

That's exactly what happaned... I was so weak psychologically that I listened to friends... 

9 hours ago, nz11 said:

Do you have any other symptoms apart from sleep issues and vision issues?

I lost like 10 times the energy.... my conscioussness is 1/10 than it previously was... tinnitus... vestibular dysfunction... I feel semi-consciouss most of the time neither awake nor asleep.... the visual issues I also percieve as pretty dramatic... initially I had akathisia and a little tardive dyskinesia.. & strong cortisol flashes... but I don't know.. now I feel completely exhausted all the time not knowing what to do...

I'm on nothing now currently... except on flurazepam as mentioned...

I wonder whether I should reinstate something as I am losing energy week for week WAY to fast... this is beyond the chronic fatigue I have known...because ever since those meds I couldn't relax or recharge strongly where I could get energy back once exhausted.... also vision problems seemed to have worsened after abruptly stopping clozapine because of weird blood work results..

Okay so  what date did You first start taking remeron eg 1jan 2003?please advise and the dose

Recovering paxil addict

18 minutes ago, nz11 said:

Okay so  what date did You first start taking remeron eg 1jan 2003?please advise and the dose

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 (Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days in total because of personality changes, no taper)

Sept 2017 Sporadic intake of mirtazapine once in a while because of sleep problems that developed weeks later... intake sometimes on 2 consecutive days.. sometimes not at all

Sept 26 - Octobre 3 (Still occoasional mirtazapine at 3,5mg, but from Sept 26 - Octobre 3 Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, immediate development of akathisia 4. day I took 150... immediate symptoms of all kinds of dyskinesia, akathisia etc... continued taking 50mg at night... still strong akathisia but didn't know what it was at that time, also visual problems started to develop)

Octobre 6 - Octobre 30 (Still had akathisia & tried to take mirtazapine some days then go off and on... maybe took it 5-6 times thinking it's withdrawal akathisia & thinking it would help me with sleep but didn't happen. Also tried anticholinergic for akathisia and sleep but didn't help. Took some diazepam for sleep from my psychiatrist but didn't help too ) I basically haven't really slept since Sept 26th & the introduction of quetiapine... on top of that I got some dyskinesia which dissapeared later...

Novembre-Decembre Still akathisia and couldn't sleep... out of desperation started using baclofen 5mg at night... which helped me sleep every other night...I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... at the same time got prescriped Cyproheptadine because I thought I was having serotonin syndrome... it helped with sleep a bit... altough I stopped having deep sleep since taking quetiapine... Took Cyproheptadine for two weeks then stopped.

Decembre Somewhere in the middle of the month I had my last baclofen tablet and then went to the doctor to get an alternative for sleep. Got flurazepam 27,4mgand have been taking it every day since this day. (not tapered of baclofen but just changed to flurazepam))

Decembre 18 - Now Started taking clozapine 12,5mg because my girlfriend told me I am psychotic and though I need to take something. So I took 12,5mg clozapine at 18 and 19th decembre and continued to take it... I think it made me sleep better immediately but I have forgotten whether I took it every single day or sporadically sometimes... I think I took it for a week then stopped taking it for a day or so then resumed... the sleep deprivation really messed up A lot... I don't fully know... anyway... I really stopped taking it a week ago because I got a cold and got high inflammatory so my blood values looked weird but doc said I could continue... Sp I was kinda off clozapine for  5 days and was kind of manic & couldn't sleep at all... but very very exhausted... I was again having 3 nights without deep sleep at all.. feeling like I was asleep but being aware of it...then when I took clozapine again it seems like I had deep sleep for 2 days after taking it... didn't take it anymore after that and no deep sleep again... just extremely exhausted I go to bed I have a few dreams but no deep sleep & wake up always like haven't slept in 10 days... On top of that I am having very weird issues with my eyes... like everything is kind of blurred... I can't look straight at what I'm looking at in order to read it... and the processing is kinda off... I have light sensitivity & light perception issues that got worse over time... like my eyes & light feels completely off.

okay thanks for clarifying that.

Recovering paxil addict

Still some advice needed

Some drug sig are easier to follow than others. The easy ones have date, drug, dose  

This is what I would do if I were you....I would vow to never take another psychiatric drug ever again.

I would also look at tapering of the sleep aid flurazepam. 

I would not panic regarding sleep issues or eye issues or fatigue issues. These will resolve in time by themselves. They don't need a chemical carpet bombing to render them silent. 

Recovering paxil addict

13 hours ago, nz11 said:

Some drug sig are easier to follow than others. The easy ones have date, drug, dose  

This is what I would do if I were you....I would vow to never take another psychiatric drug ever again.

I would also look at tapering of the sleep aid flurazepam. 

I would not panic regarding sleep issues or eye issues or fatigue issues. These will resolve in time by themselves. They don't need a chemical carpet bombing to render them silent. 

Thanks a lot for your response.

I am going to taper the flurazepam... it's just that it's been 3 months since that stuff with the eyes started... and it didn't get better so I was thinking of reinstating something idk..

• 1 month later...

I am thinking of reinstating.. remeron... This is where vision trouble originally started. It gets worse and worse every week. I can't handle it anymore. Advice needed.

• Administrator
On 1/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hallowas said:

Aug 27 - Sept 1, 2017 (Mirtazapine 3,5mg first day, 7,5 second, 15 third then back to 7,5 then stopped taking after 5 days in total because of personality changes, no taper)

Hello, Hallowas. Was the above the first time you took a psychiatric drug? Why did you take mirtazapine? Were you already having sleep problems?

What are you taking every day, and at what times?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Hallowas. Was the above the first time you took a psychiatric drug? Why did you take mirtazapine? Were you already having sleep problems?

What are you taking every day, and at what times?

Hi, I updated my signature.

It wasn't the first time but I never had problems before as I never took anything for more than 3 days. I was on valproate/lamotrigine 3 years ago for a few weeks but hat no problems stopping cold turkey.

I took mirtazapine because I developed reflux that interfered with sleep.

I had sleep problems before because of allergies.

I am now only taking flurazepam 17,1mg split into morning & afternoon.

Would you recommed reinstating mirtazapine? As 2 months after stopping abruptly my most debilitating vision problems started that progressed every week where I have enormous difficulty reading/writing because I see some things focused and unfocused at the same time. Like the scope of focus got less and less. I would rather reinstate and take any other medication and have somewhat normal vision back than wait it out... It just got so much worse after 5 months, I can't handle it anymore. I've had my eyes checked everything is fine. The doctor said it's a perception issue.

Hi Hallowas. Why are you taking Flurazepam in the morning? No wonder, you're exhausted!

Even though you updated your signature ~ it is still unclear and confusing. Can you add a little more information ~ to explain more ?

Do you feel your vision problems are a withdrawal symptom?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Hallows welcome , what I think , it looks like your Adrenals are getting mixed signals and your under a lot of stress .high inflammatory markers and feeling alert and sleepy at the same time are symptoms of adrenal fatigue.i cant claim you have this [not a doctor ] and the adrenals are very tough  .but withdrawal causes so much stress in our brain ,you could be getting mixed signals to them ,don't worry or freak out you will be fine but you need loads of rest ,physical ,emotional .

The mods are well tuned in so your safe .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Administrator

Actually, the sleeplessness sounds like a paradoxical reaction to flurazepam. You may be taking too much.

AliG has an excellent point, why are you taking flurazepam twice a day? It has a very long half-life.

See https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=3839ca57-1c3d-4fb3-a00a-6569b2b4447f

The mean elimination half-life of desalkyl-flurazepam was longer in edlerly male subjects (160 hours) compared with younger male subjects (74 hours), while mean elimination half-life was similar in geriatric female subjects (120 hours) and younger female subjects (90 hours).

Also be sure to read the Adverse Reactions ^ at the above link.

What times of day do you take flurazepam? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

Please note that although you may be getting a paradoxical reaction from too much flurazepam, you may still be physiologically dependent on it. If I were you, I'd very carefully taper the dose earlier in the day. Please go here to discuss tapering the benzo.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

This gives an example of how to Keep Notes on Paper

• 1 year later...

When to expect improvements?

This has been with me for 2 years now.

Thanks

Bump.

I am asking for Help and guidance.

First year was very managable as I was Not used to have 10x more mental energy and that felt good while in the Benzo.

Now the second year is quite difficult as my last reserves are being used up due to this 10 Cups of Coffee injected 24/7 effect

Can Somebody Help?

Having similar issues

(Sept 26 - Octobre 3 2017 Quetiapine 50mg for sleep, 4th or 5th  day 150mg then 50mg for sleep again. (Stopped abruptly after 7 days because of severe reaction)

Novembre-Decembre 2017 baclofen 5mg at night... I steadily increased dosage till 25mg baclofen per night... 

Decembre 2017 Stopped Baclofen. Got flurazepam 27,4mg as alternative and have been taking it every day since this day. (not tapered of baclofen but just changed to flurazepam)