SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

samanthaelizabeth: How do you manage to keep working while taper off

samanthaelizabeth

MOD NOTE:  samanthaelizabeth and doxxigirl are the same member.  Intro topics have been merged.

Please tell me how do you keep working while tapering of AD's?

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note
  • Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

• ChessieCat changed the title to samantaelizabeth: How do you manage to keep working while taper off
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samanthaelizabeth

• doxxigirl

• ChessieCat

• Rosetta

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi samanthaelizabeth,

Welcome to SA.  I moved your post to the Introductions area of the forum.  Each member has their own intro topic where they can ask questions and journal their progress.

It will be helpful if you would complete your drug signature, which we request all members to do when they join.  This is the preferred format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Q:  Have you commenced tapering yet?  If yes, please provide details of how you are tapering.  For example, are you skipping days?  What dosages have you reduced?  When?

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because the drug changes the brain.  It is a physiological dependence, not physical like nicotine and caffeine.  For me personally, once I found SA and started tapering as per their suggested 10%, I have had a reasonably uneventful 2 years of tapering.  However it is not totally without withdrawal symptoms, but they are generally minor.  I've also started feeling more like I did before I started on ADs 25 years ago.

I'll give you some links to check out and you can ask questions here in your own intro topic.  Once we have more information on the drug/s you are taking we will be able to provide more tailored suggestions.

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Important topics in the Tapering forum and FAQ

These really helped me to understand SA's recommendations:

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I have been on Zoloft for 19 years.  I was only prescribed this after a stupid doctor prescribed Ativan to me and within 4-6 weeks I was acting strange and flushed them down the toilet. Bad mistake I went through 3-4 months of literal hell- no sleep, became extremely depressed and couldn't take it anymore so I went to PDOC and was prescribed Zoloft 20mg and Remeron.  I had been fine ever since. Then in 2015 I wanted to lose some weight and went on Wellbutrin for about 6 months had horrible anxiety. I quit taking that and went back to Zoloft.  Now recently, around November I saw a new doctor to get off the Zoloft and he wanted to give me Lexapro.  So I started tapering down as instructed to go to Lexapro but decided I just wanted to get off the Zoloft so I basically quit cold turkey for one day then went back up to 100 150 and now 200.  but I feel very anxious and am wondering if I went back on at too high of a dose?  Should I go back down a little to try and stabilize or what?  I just want off all of these drugs!

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

Welcome SE

Please tell me that it was only 20mg not 200mg of Zoloft. You post says 20 the drug sig says 200. Although it looks like its definitely now been ramped up to 200mg ...wow! 

This is a tragic story of doctor harm. Your doctor has been unbelievably negligent.

I'm so sorry you have been on these drugs for so many years and the doctor just did nothing except switch and add more drugs.

What is the dose of remeron? You might like to add that to the drug sig.

Please don't CT these drugs the suffering and pain that results is out of this world. In fact its so bad that death becomes a welcome relief and for many they decide to take that option. Rather odd the  doctors never informed us of this isn't. 

Its worth taking the time to read all those great informative links from cc 

and heres another.

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Can you get hold of the book by R Whitaker 'Anatomy of an epidemic' it is very insightful. 

If you want to lose your job when on these chemicals then taper fast its pretty much guaranteed. However people who put aside years in their tapering get to have a job have a life and keep the wife. 

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

BrassMonkey did work and made it to retirement while tapering.  Check his thread.  He's doing great.  He would help you taper, too.  He's very helpful on that.  You can do it, no worries.  Just don't go fast ( like me).  I had to quit working.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

I went fast too and was left unemployed and unemployable only for 6 years though.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I had to give up work due to initial effects of antidepressants, which have stayed with me during my taper.

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

After a very fast tape from Zoloft 200mg to switch to Lexapro but then decided I didn't want to take Lexapro.  I reinstated at100 then 150 and 200mg.  My ears are still ringing, slept 4 hours last night solid,  then kind of broken sleep. I'm going to try 180mg of Zoloft to try and stabilize.  I am also tapering off of Klonopin and down to .06.  Since the Wellbutrin debacle I haven't really been able to hold a job.  I hope I can go back to work.  I am also dealing with MS.

• magnesium, fish oil

I just don't think I can work, I have lost so much of my confidence.

• magnesium, fish oil

Do I tell my PDOC that i'm tapering or what?  I'm now taking 180mg of Zoloft which is 10% reduction but where do I go from here?

• magnesium, fish oil

Be patient SE you will stabilize and feel better I'm sure. But it will take a little bit of time. 

If I were you I would do all I could to keep that job.

You can do it.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

17 hours ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

So I started tapering down as instructed to go to Lexapro

What were you instructed to do.

Can you help us out here when did you start tapering down and how did you do it.

Then at some point you jumped right off and then the next day went back up?

Are you able to put dates on these changes.

Pretend that people reading  have the intelligence of a kindergarten child and so you need to spell it out exactly what you have done.

eg

1 nov 17 zoloft 200 mg

2 nov Zoloft 55mg

10 dec  Zoloft 0mg

11dec  Zoloft 100mg

12 dec Zoloft 200mg

etc

29 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

I'm now taking 180mg of Zoloft which is 10% reduction but where do I go from here?

Again can you date this change.

So people can see how long have you been taking it for.

Did you feel stable before you made this drop? This drop could be too much for you. Which is why you feel unable to go to work.

Sorry I didn't notice your last post when I made my last post.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

4 minutes ago, nz11 said:

What were you instructed to do.

Can you help us out here when did you start tapering down and how did you do it.

Then at some point you jumped right off and then the next day went back up?

Are you able to put dates on these changes.

Pretend that people reading  have the intelligence of a kindergarten child and so you need to spell it out exactly what you have done.

eg

1 nov 17 zoloft 200 mg

2 nov Zoloft 55mg

10 dec  Zoloft 0mg

11dec  Zoloft 100mg

12 dec Zoloft 200mg

etc

Again can you date this change.

So people can see how long have you been taking it for.

Did you feel stable before you made this drop? This drop could be too much for you. Which is why you feel unable to go to work.

Sorry I didn't notice your last post when I made my last post.

nz11

v

12/9/2017 50MG 1.75 0.25 Feel okay emotionally,  tired, No Brain Zaps, a little dizzy
12/10/2017 45mg 9am 15 0.25 Kind of Bad morning crying a little.  Wanted to go to Red Rock to get outside or dog park.  
12/11/2017 40mg 6 am   0.25  
12/12/2017 100 mg  5am 15 0.75 very bad day-GOT A LITTLE BETTER TOOK SHOWER WENT FOR WALK MADE APPT W DR. STILL THINK NIACIN IS HELPONG
12/13/2017        
12/14/2017 100 mg730 am 15 0.5 mornign headache
12/15/2017 150mg 815   0.5 oke up at 1 am couldn't get back to sleep until about4 am
12/16/2017 150 mg 5 am 0.4  
12/17/2017     0.4  
12/18/2017     0.35 woke up at 3 am finally got back to sleep some moderate anxiety-trying to keep my wits about me.
12/19/2017 150 mg 5 am 1 slept good
12/20/2017 200mg 8am   1 slept good
12/21/2017 200mg 8am 15 mg 0.75 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep
12/22/2017 200mg 8am      
12/23/2017 200mg 8am   0.75 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep
12/24/2017 200 mg 8 am 15mg 0.62 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep
12/25/2017 200mg 8am 15mg 0.62 slept good wokeup at 6am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep
12/26/2017 200mg 6am   0.55  
12/27/2017     0.56  
12/28/2017        
12/29/2017     0.5  
12/30/2017 200mg 6am   0.5  
12/31/2017 200mg 8am 15mg 0.5 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep
1/1/2018 200mg 6am 15mg 0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating
1/2/2018 200mg 6am   0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating
1/3/2018 200mg 6am 15mg 0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating
1/4/2018 200mg 6am 15 mg 0.0325 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep
1/5/2018 200mg 15mg 0.0325 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep
1/6/2018 200 15mg 0.0325 woke up at 3 am finally got back to sleep some moderate anxiety.  Layed dow
1/7/2018 180mg  15mg 0.25 tachycardia sweating
1/8/2018 180mg  15mg 0.25 tachycardia sweating
1/9/2018 180mg    0.24 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating
1/10/2018 180mg    0.22 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep
1/11/2018 180 mg   0.22 slept good
1/12/2018 180mg    0.12 didntt sleep good
1/13/2018 180mg    0.12  
1/14/2018 20mg 22.5mg 0.006 slept okay-very anxious
1/15/2018 200mg 15mg 0.006  
1/16/2018 200mg     slept until 2 am-then didn't lseep good
  • magnesium, fish oil

Now my cholesterol is high-I know this is from the remeron!

• magnesium, fish oil

How do I have the doctor write my prescription for liquid taper of Remeron?  Currently at 15mg-My cholesterol came back high I'm sure from the Remeron and don't want to go on Statins.

• magnesium, fish oil

I am at 15mg.  How do I get a prescription written from my PDOC?  Is it just one prescription every month or what?

• magnesium, fish oil

Welll at least I almost off of Klonopin at .06.  Next stop Remeron...I think I feel okay enough to look for a job-I've not been able to hold a job for the last three years thanks to Wellbutrin anxiety!  I hope I can find something to help out my husband. I just wish I had some sort of appetite.

• magnesium, fish oil

Wow that is good going and you were even keeping a diary also. Well done.

So up to 8 of dec 17 you were taking 200mg Zoloft....right? please confirm 

then pdoc said drop to:

50mg on 9th of dec, 10dec 45mg, 11 dec 40, [This is the kind of tapering if it had continued that  would put a person in hospital]

12- 14  dec 100mg, 15 -19 dec 150mg, 20 dec - 5 jan 200mg,  7-13  jan  180mg, 14 -16 jan 200mg,

So today..you went back to 180mg on the 17 jan ???is this whats now happened.  

So on 11 dec no doubt you started to get wdl symptoms and on 12 dec you went to a new doctor who advised up the dose? again or was that just you upping the dose back to 100mg then later back to 200mg

What does the new doctor have to say about all this does he acknowledge the taper is too fast or does he just push a switch to Lexapro ?

Its not good to keep jumping around in doses or taking an extra one in the hope it will help sleep eg on 14jan you took some extra remeron by the looks. Please read this link.

I see you are taking gabapentin? as well ...is that correct? if so are you able to put the dose and dates in the drug sig.

I see you are taking theanine ...I don't know much about this but reading up on it, it appears to be a natural plant product that increases  serotonin as if you don't have enough poured in daily already. Taking an ad in conjunction with any other drugs natural/herbal legal illegal that affect serotonin levels can induce a dangerous disorder called serotonin syndrome. If I were you I would ditch the theanine.  

In another thread you are talking about tapering remeron. I think if I were you I would just put that on hold for awhile untill you can get stable.

Its good to taper only one drug at a time. If it becomes problematic then you don't know which drug is the problem so it can get tricky.

Recovering paxil addict

i also do not have an appetite. I really miss eating. I do, but it doesn’t excite me like it used to. Good for you for getting off klonopin. I never took it although my doctor thought it would be a great idea. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

Today: not as depressed in the afternoon and evening.  Not as anxious and depressed as I was yesterday. Some improvement. It’s not the kind of thing where I feel normal, but better.  Is my brain remodeling? 

Sleeping at night/ not manic/ not si / Trying to be hopeful/ 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

Moved from:  Why do people do acupuncture?

Is it supposed to help with withdrawal?

Edited by ChessieCat
  • magnesium, fish oil

3 hours ago, nz11 said:

Wow that is good going and you were even keeping a diary also. Well done.

So up to 8 of dec 17 you were taking 200mg Zoloft....right? please confirm 

then pdoc said drop to:

50mg on 9th of dec, 10dec 45mg, 11 dec 40, [This is the kind of tapering if it had continued that  would put a person in hospital]

12- 14  dec 100mg, 15 -19 dec 150mg, 20 dec - 5 jan 200mg,  7-13  jan  180mg, 14 -16 jan 200mg,

So today..you went back to 180mg on the 17 jan ???is this whats now happened.  

So on 11 dec no doubt you started to get wdl symptoms and on 12 dec you went to a new doctor who advised up the dose? again or was that just you upping the dose back to 100mg then later back to 200mg

What does the new doctor have to say about all this does he acknowledge the taper is too fast or does he just push a switch to Lexapro ?

Its not good to keep jumping around in doses or taking an extra one in the hope it will help sleep eg on 14jan you took some extra remeron by the looks. Please read this link.

I see you are taking gabapentin? as well ...is that correct? if so are you able to put the dose and dates in the drug sig.

I see you are taking theanine ...I don't know much about this but reading up on it, it appears to be a natural plant product that increases  serotonin as if you don't have enough poured in daily already. Taking an ad in conjunction with any other drugs natural/herbal legal illegal that affect serotonin levels can induce a dangerous disorder called serotonin syndrome. If I were you I would ditch the theanine.  

In another thread you are talking about tapering remeron. I think if I were you I would just put that on hold for awhile untill you can get stable.

Its good to taper only one drug at a time. If it becomes problematic then you don't know which drug is the problem so it can get tricky.

3 hours ago, nz11 said:

okay, thank you. not sure if I am experiencing wd from the Klonopin or if I messed up by going down on the Zoloft and then back up...Unfortunately, MY pdoc is out of the country until February.

• magnesium, fish oil

Hi samanthaelizabeth,

I believe SA members have discussed their experiences with Acupuncture in helping to alleviate WD symptoms.  Because WD from antidepressants is marked by extreme activation of the autonomic nervous system, some acupuncture protocols may be contra-indicated (because too activating).  I recall members on this site writing that it is important - if you are experiencing symptoms of hyper-activated ANS - to inform the acupuncturist that you don't want those kinds of treatments, but need something that calms an activated ANS.

Best bet may be for you to start by looking at the thread on Acupuncture that was started by an SA member in 2011.  I couldn't figure out how to create a link to the thread to post here.  But if you enter "acupuncture" in the search window you will find it - it's about 3 entries down in the search results. 

Best wishes,

GS

(confidential)

History 1996-2016.  1996-1997 Prozac 10mg.  1997-2007 Paxil 20mg  (CT - severe WD for @ 6 months w/o knowing what it was).  Early 2008. Paxil 60mg. 2013. Ativan 0.5. 2014- Ativan 1.02015 - Ativan 1.5  (0.5  am + pm + night).  2016: Paxil 60mg.  Ativan 1.5mg.

Early Feb. 2017 - Paxil 80 - Ativan 3mg 
April 2017.   Paxil 70. Ativan 2.5 (1mg am, 0.5 noon, 1mg eve).
May 2017: Paxil 60; Ativan 2.0 (0.5 am, 0.5 pm, 1.0 eve)
June 2017: Paxil 50.  Ativan 2.0 (0.5 am, 0.5 pm, 1.0 eve)
July 2017: Paxil 45. Ativan 1.5 ( 0.5 am, 0.5, pm, 0.5 eve)
August 2017:  Paxil 42.5. Ativan 1.25 (0.5/0.25/0.5 (2 weeks), then 1.0 (0.25/0.25/0.5) (holding through September)
Start  September 2017: Paxil 40.0 Ativan 1.0
Dec. 2017: Paxil 40.  Ativan 0.75 (eve dose tapered to  0.25 over 4 weeks 3 cuts & 10 day holds).
Jan.13 2018:  Paxil  37. Ativan 0.75
Jan. 30 2018:  Paxil  34. Ativan 0.75 
Feb. 13 2018: Paxil 31. Ativan 0.75
March 1, 2018 - Paxil 37.  Ativan 0.75

Supplements: Vit C, MultiVitamin, Iron tablet. 3/18/18 - Omega-3 Fish Oil Capsules (2 x day).  

Moved from:  I think what i'm having is a "window"

Yay me!

Edited by ChessieCat
  • magnesium, fish oil

Good!

okay I now think you are referring to the gaba amino supplement when you talk of gaba.

Here is some info on this supplement

It it is in fact gabapentin you are referring to please confirm.

I didn't really look at the benzo part but you are correct that may be adding to the symptoms. As I look at the numbers the dosing does appear to be all over the place. 

The view is to  taper the ad first and the benzo second but I think in your  case there is a strong argument to taper the benzo first.

Why because the benzo exposure has only been 2 months or less ('maybe' your words) while the ad exposure has been nearly 2 decades. It is the most recently started drug (right?...2 months right?) and hopefully the easiest to taper. You are almost off it already. This is a very dangerous chemical, addiction can be established within 2 weeks. 

Please get hold of the book 'Anatomy of an epidemic ' by whitaker and read about the 'benzo trap' . I bet it is in your local library.

To taper off Zoloft is going to take years ...a minimum of 4 in my opinion. You don't want to be taking klonopin for 4 years.

We haven't heard from moderators as yet. They are rather busy as you can guess.

But I reckon you should consider staying on the 200mg of Zoloft and the remeron and taper off the klonopin. 

Remember if you read that above link dosing must be stable, no jumping around randomly.   

I just cannot believe that a doctor has kept you on 200mg Zoloft for nearly 20 years. That is criminal.

Don't worry that  the p-doc is out of town until feb. You might like to consider stepping up and taking back control of this whole thing. This is your taper at the end of the day you have ultimate control over the process. The only thing these people know is more drugs. They do not acknowledge addiction or withdrawal symptoms choosing to blame the person and not the poison. And as they say when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. 

What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind changing the dose of two or more drugs at once makes it very difficult to figure out the cause of any untoward effects. You wont know which drug to return to its previous dose to relieve the wdl symptoms.

You need stability asap to keep that job.

You are very lucky to have found sa at this early stage of the game before cognitive WWIII broke out.

Recovering paxil addict

oh yeah by the way the rules of the house say only one intro thread per person it keeps everything together. 

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SE,

You seem to be starting a new topic whenever you ask a question.  Please ask questions here in your intro topic or search the site for existing topics.  There are many existing discussions on a wide variety of topics.  You can either use the site search or use google and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search query.

3 hours ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

Moved from:  Why do people do acupuncture?

Is it supposed to help with withdrawal?

Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

8 hours ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

I think I feel okay enough to look for a job-I've not been able to hold a job for the last three years thanks to Wellbutrin anxiety!  I hope I can find something to help out my husband

Well you completely fooled me.

I thought you had a job and were worried about loosing it. 

Okay good luck with finding something.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has an Introduction topic which is where a member posts questions about their own taper/withdrawal.  You can also journal your progress here in this topic.  I suggest you bookmark it so you can find it again easily.

Asking questions in your Intro topic keeps all the informative in one place and makes it easier for suggestions to be made.  I've just found and moved all of the topics you have created around the site and put them here in your Intro topic.  As mentioned in my previous post, there are many existing topics which can be searched.

sorry. I didn't know..

1/17/2018  180mg  15mg 0.06 sleptpretty good woke up at 4am went back to sleep good dreams
  • magnesium, fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SE,

Some of your questions haven't been answered because they were posted elsewhere on the site and have ended up mixed in with your newer posts.

I suggest that you post a list of your questions in a new post here in your Intro topic so that we can clearly see what you need assistance with.

I had no issues with working while tapering.  It's once I stopped taking Effexor and the withdrawals really hammered me (after 2-4 weeks) that I ran into problems. This is why I have had to reinstate three times now over the past three years. The effects of tapering didn't bother me to the point where I was non-functional at work, even if it was a struggle at times.

I telecommute now which is the only reason I've tried it twice in the past year. If there was an end date of a month or two, it would be okay. However, I still travel a lot for work and still have to interact with lots of people face to face. The disruption to my sleep cycle as well as the decrease in my cognitive abilities make interactions with people very difficult as it's sometimes hard to string together coherent sentences.  Dealing with this for a period of months and years would get me fired, even though I work for a wonderful company with management that is very supportive. They don't know I'm on medication for obvious reasons, however, and I'd like to keep it that way.

When I worked in an office environment, I had to take three sick days after not taking one in ten years after 4 weeks off of Effexor! I went three days without sleeping at one point and my dad was nice enough to come stay with me and drive me to work since it was getting dangerous for me (and others) to continue to do this every work day.

I've been on Effexor for 15 years so I'm not sure I could go through years of withdrawals and keep my job. I live alone and don't really have any friends so without work my life is essentially over even overlooking the financial constraints it would put on my life.

For this reason I'm not sure if I can put the rear view mirror on this drug or Klonopin. I'm 37 now so I won't be able to retire for another 25-30 years. This means I may need to be on these drugs forever. I haven't had any negative side effects (at least ones I can't deal with) as a result of taking them. I actually like(d) life. I used to look forward to things like baseball or college football season, reading new books, binge watching shows, etc. When I'm in withdrawals I don't want to live anymore

I'm so thankful that this site exists. No one else I've ever talked to understands the length of time and pain that can be associated with withdrawals from antidepressants. It shocks and angers me that the medical community that supplied us with these drugs is not equipped to understand or deal with the impact it has on us after taking it for many years. Also, thanks to this site I now understand that a month is not long enough for my central nervous system to recover from taking a drug for 14-15 years and that longer tapers are necessary.

My parents were always against medication. My dad doesn't understand depression and thought I just needed to be mentally tougher. They are from a generation that just doesn't believe in medication to help with psychological problems. They are both very supportive now, however, especially after they saw how I crashed two and a half years ago and they know how much I value working. I looked at my chemical imbalance as something like having high blood pressure.  It's a problem I have to deal with and if I need(ed) medication, so be it. I should have listened to them, however. I wish I could turn back the clock and talk to the 23 year old version of myself and tell him to deal with these problems without medication.

Effexor: 2003 - 2018 (75-150 mgs) Off at times in 2015 and 2017. Tapered from 37.5 mgs in May of 2017 to 5? mgs at the end December of 2017 and jumped. Reinstated 5 beads on 1/16/18 after struggling with withdrawal symptoms. Upped to 37.5 mgs on 1/19/18. Feeling great as of 2/23/18.

Klonopin: 2003 - 2018 (1-3 mgs)

Supplements: Omega-3 Fish Oil (1000 mgs)

Ya me too!

• magnesium, fish oil

My ears have been ringing for weeks..I'm not sure if i'm at the proper dosage Here is my journal: Note the Gaba is NOT GABAPENTON its a supplement

12/9/2017 50MG 1.75 0.25 Feel okay emotionally,  tired, No Brain Zaps, a little dizzy  
12/10/2017 45mg 9am 15 0.25 Kind of Bad morning crying a little.  Wanted to go to Red Rock to get outside or dog park.  Vinny is busy helping Richie.  
12/11/2017 40mg 6 am   0.25    
12/12/2017 100 mg  5am 15 0.75 very bad day-GOT A LITTLE BETTER TOOK SHOWER WENT FOR WALK MADE APPT W DR. STILL THINK NIACIN IS HELPONG  
12/13/2017          
12/14/2017 100 mg730 am 15 0.5 mornign headache  
12/15/2017 150mg 815   0.5 oke up at 1 am couldn't get back to sleep until about4 am  
12/16/2017 150 mg 5 am 0.4    
12/17/2017     0.4    
12/18/2017     0.35 woke up at 3 am finally got back to sleep some moderate anxiety-trying to keep my wits about me.  
12/19/2017 150 mg 5 am 1 slept good  
12/20/2017 200mg 8am   1 slept good  
12/21/2017 200mg 8am 15 mg 0.75 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep  
12/22/2017 200mg 8am        
12/23/2017 200mg 8am   0.75 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep  
12/24/2017 200 mg 8 am 15mg 0.62 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep  
12/25/2017 200mg 8am 15mg 0.62 slept good wokeup at 6am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep  
12/26/2017 200mg 6am   0.55    
12/27/2017     0.56    
12/28/2017          
12/29/2017     0.5    
12/30/2017 200mg 6am   0.5    
12/31/2017 200mg 8am 15mg 0.5 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep  
1/1/2018 200mg 6am 15mg 0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating  
1/2/2018 200mg 6am   0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating  
1/3/2018 200mg 6am 15mg 0.375 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating  
1/4/2018 200mg 6am 15 mg 0.0325 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep  
1/5/2018 200mg 15mg 0.0325 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep  
1/6/2018 200 15mg 0.0325 woke up at 3 am finally got back to sleep some moderate anxiety.  Layed dow  
1/7/2018 180mg  15mg 0.25 tachycardia sweating  
1/8/2018 180mg  15mg 0.25 tachycardia sweating  
1/9/2018 180mg  15mg 0.24 slept good wokeup at 3am took gaba and theanine went right back to sleep heavy sweating  
1/10/2018 180mg  15mg 0.22 didn’t sleep that good maybe 4-6 broken sleep  
1/11/2018 180 mg 15mg 0.22 slept good  
1/12/2018 180mg  15mg 0.12 didntt sleep good  
1/13/2018 180mg  15mg 0.12    
1/14/2018 200mg 22.5mg 0.006 slept okay-very anxious  
1/15/2018 200mg 15mg 0.006 slept until 2 am-then didn't sleep good.  Feeling okay need to find a job  
1/16/2018 180mg    0.06   Now have to taper Remeron for cholesterol
1/17/2018 180mg  15mg 0.06 sleptpretty good woke up at 4am went back to sleep good dreams  
1/18/2018 180mg  15mg 0.03    
  • magnesium, fish oil