samanthaelizabeth: How do you manage to keep working while taper off

samanthaelizabeth

• Administrator

Buy a graduated cylinder for a few dollars on Ebay to measure milliliters of water.

I agree with ChessieCat, we have given you all the information we can give you. You can taper a little, you can taper a lot, you can stay the same, you can add drugs. It's all up to you and we most definitely will not make those decisions for you.

Please note none of us are physicians, we know very little about MS, and we do not treat it. You might be better off joining an online community for MS and discussing your drugs with them.

On 2/20/2018 at 1:01 PM, samanthaelizabeth said:

@Altostrata I just spoke with Dr. Shipko he suggested adding Wellbutrin and not tapering the zoloft at all  He said for as long as I have been on this drug that I would end up disabled and there are no guarantee's what the end result would be.  So WTF do I do now?

If you are speaking to Dr. Shipko and he is willing to treat you, that would be perfectly fine with us. Please do not get advice from Dr. Shipko and expect us to help you implement it. That's between you and Dr. Shipko.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samanthaelizabeth

• doxxigirl

• ChessieCat

• Rosetta

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Buy a graduated cylinder for a few dollars on Ebay to measure milliliters of water.

I agree with ChessieCat, we have given you all the information we can give you. You can taper a little, you can taper a lot, you can stay the same, you can add drugs. It's all up to you and we most definitely will not make those decisions for you.

Please note none of us are physicians, we know very little about MS, and we do not treat it. You might be better off joining an online community for MS and discussing your drugs with them.

If you are speaking to Dr. Shipko and he is willing to treat you, that would be perfectly fine with us. Please do not get advice from Dr. Shipko and expect us to help you implement it. That's between you and Dr. Shipko.

Thank you @Altostrata -,I have a deep respect for you.

Sam

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

• Administrator

I don't mind you talking to Dr. Shipko at all. You need to either work with him or design your own exit from the drugs, if that's what you want.

In the world of psychiatric drug cocktails, feeling "blah" is not the worst condition. It could also be due to your MS and the drugs you're taking for that.

I urge you to join an online MS community to learn specific coping skills for your condition.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I'm going to start my reduction tomorrow morning and am making my liquid now with 100ml (I'll have to measure the water with my 5ml syringe)of water with 100mg of Zoloft. I am letting it dissolve and will pull out 5% and throw that out and drink the remainder.  I will keep you posted of my progress.  I truly appreciate this site. Thank you.

Sam 

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

43 minutes ago, Longestroadhome said:

Hi Samantha

There came a time in my journey when I realised that my medication had pooped out on me. I remember it vividly. I woke one morning with a strong feeling of anxiety that I had not experienced in a long time. I spent a long time researching and thankfully found this site. I read many similar stories from other members. 

Then I had to make a decision! I was damned if I did and damned if I didn’t. The lexapro has pooped out and I knew if I went to my doctor they would yank me off that and put me on another medication. Warning bells! That is the most dangerous period for suicide ideation. 

I decided to start withdrawing the lexapro and using other methods to help with the return of anxiety. I already knew that the drugs were not a foolproof method for healing anxiety and depression. In fact in many studies placebo worked better than the drugs themselves. 

That at was a few years ago now and I am down to 2mg of lexapro. I would love to tell you my journey has been easy but there have been many difficult times. I have, however, built a pretty good self help toolbox to use to help me deal with my withdrawal. No drugs just things like Audible books, painting, walking in nature, wearing the pew out in church, meditation, mindfulness, juicing, exercise. 

Many times along   the journey I have become scared and looked around for answers. Often I google drugs that might help but am always terrified when I research their side effects! So I return to my non drug toolbox!

Slow and steady wins the race. I am thankful that I did not go to my doctor when lexapro pooped out. I am so glad I found this site. It isn’t easy and it isn’t an overnight fix but in my opinion it is the safest method of dealing with withdrawal. I wish I had never gone on these drugs in the first place but I can’t afford to think that way. I did but now I am taking back the reigns 🙏🌹

Thank you for your response.  Yes i'm scared, but I think I might have some slight seratonin toxicity going on.

• magnesium, fish oil

1 hour ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

I'm going to start my reduction tomorrow morning and am making my liquid now with 100ml (I'll have to measure the water with my 5ml syringe)of water with 100mg of Zoloft. I am letting it dissolve and will pull out 5% and throw that out and drink the remainder.  I will keep you posted of my progress.  I truly appreciate this site. Thank you.

Sam 

Sounds like a good plan. 

2001 Remeron , Celexa, prozac a week on lithium. 

2014 went off effexor and trazadone in 3 weeks. 

2014 zoloft (hyper reaction) put on effexor 75 mg. Was stable until 2017 

2017  Trazadone 50 mg (June) Effexor to 113 mg (2 weeks) Effexor 150 mg for a month . Took 75 mg until November. . Lithium 10 days, Lamactil 10 day  aug-nov15 ativan

October : Prozac bridge to get off 75 mg of effexor Used 10 mg of prozac. Stopped prozac 3 wk 

Dec 6, 7 Upped trazadone from 50 to 100 mg Did it for 3 days Stopped it

Dec 7 , Dec 8 Took prozac again 0.1 , 0.1, 0.6 stopped it

Dec 11 and Dec 12 upped it to 100 again

Dec 15 , 16,17 went back to 50 mg of trazadone

December 18 Began 3 beads of effexor  Dec 25 began 5 beads of effexor take 10 mg of omneprazole daily

• Moderator Emeritus

As previously requested in the mods' PM conversation please only post in your own topic.

The posts you make are not visible to other members until after they have been checked by a mod.  The post you made in Bubbles topic has been moved to your own Intro and hidden.  Now is not the time to be "planning ahead" about what you are going to do when you get to 29mg or 27mg.

If you continue to waste the mods' time by making ridiculous posts you will receive another warning and the mods will not be bothered even checking your moderated posts.

As I said this is a serious site.  Getting off these drugs is a serious matter.  Helping members is a serious matter.  The mods do not appreciate members who waste their time with trivial things.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Journal Entry:

Feeling back to normal right now, what a relief! I may postpone my taper for a bit, I need to evaluate...

• magnesium, fish oil

I've decided that at this time, I am not going to taper Zoloft.  I am going to taper Remeron instead as it is only used for sleep.   I need to reduce my med load. am going to go for CBT counseling and get back to work.  When I have a routine and something to look forward to It will be much easier.  I have the tips here for doing so.  Thank you Alto. 

• magnesium, fish oil

Hello fellow warriors!  I am grateful to find this site.  I never thought it possible to even begin to taper without significant side-effects. I am Doxxigirl and I wish to slowly taper off of Zoloft 200mg.  I am a highly respected negotiator for large financial institution.  I have been looking at your site for quite a while and would love your support while I taper.  Thanks!:wub:

2004-present  Zoloft  (Sertraline) 200mg 03/13/2018 (begin taper 5%) 190mg hold for 3 weeks

1983-present-Nicotine (pack a day) Seriously need to quit!

"What is the slope of the line?  "It's positive,' 'And what does that mean?  'It means we make progress everyday'

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, doxxigirl, and welcome to SA.  If I understand you correctly, you haven't started your taper yet, so it is great you found your way here first.  You have our support.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.
To get you started, and familiarized with the protocols followed by SA, I am linking a few topics so that you have a better understanding of what is recommended here. 

This link explains why it is important to taper slowly.

Brain Remodelling

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 
Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. For more tips, please see:

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.  The moderators and members are very supportive.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the warm welcome!  No, I haven't started to taper as of yet.  I am awaiting a graduated cylinder that I ordered to arrive.  It should arrive in week or so.  I've completed my drug signature as directed.

Regards,

Doxxigirl

2004-present  Zoloft  (Sertraline) 200mg 03/13/2018 (begin taper 5%) 190mg hold for 3 weeks

"What is the slope of the line?  "It's positive,' 'And what does that mean?  'It means we make progress everyday'

• ChessieCat changed the title to doxxigirl: Grateful to be here
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please read through the PM conversation you had with the moderators.

Clarification:

You are permitted to post ONLY in your own Intro topic.  Please use your Intro topic as a journal.

Your posts are being moderated.  A mod needs to read your posts and if suitable will approve the post.  Approved posts will be visible to all members.  If it is considered unsuitable it will be hidden which means that only the mods will be able to see it, you will not be able to.  The moderators will check your posts when they have available time.  Please don't waste our time by making unnecessary posts because they take time to read and assess.  The mods will get tired of non journal posts and questions which have been answered already or which you can find on the site by searching.

There are many existing topics on this site.  I have explained how to search.

Please only ask questions in your Intro which have not been answered before.  If in doubt, please re-read the responses which have already been made to you.  You have been supplied with all the information that the mods are able to provide.  The aim of this site is to give members the information they need so they can make their own decisions and handle their own tapering.  There are times when members experience difficulties and need additional assistance.

There are many members, both existing and new, who need help.  The moderators' time is valuable.

Alto has made the suggestion that you join an MS support group.  Even if you decide to taper I think joining an MS support group is a good idea.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Wow, a normal day.  That's really good news.  Maybe you will find that you can hold.  No need to answer me.  I know you can't, but you will see this.  So, just know that I'm hoping you are stabilizing and that you can hold for a while before tapering anything.  

Maybe if you had a normal day then tapering mirt is a bad idea.  That's what I think.  Changing something right when you have a window from all the misery might bring on more problems.  Think about it.  

It's very hard to "do nothing," but that's what stabilizing is -- doing nothing different.  I've "done nothing" for a long time, and I have doubted myself many times, but it is paying off now.  Hang in there.  

I hope the CBT helps you.  Try to remember that it takes some practice.  It does work for me.  There's a book called The Feeling Good Handbook and there is also a workbook.  There is a website and there are even free podcasts.  Check out feelinggood.com

I hope you find peace,

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• Mentor

waving Hi to doxxigirl!

so glad you've found us before you start your taper. I'm one of the ones who found this site a bit too late, and then, being pig-headed and thinking I was a "special case", I didn't follow the wonderful advice I was given- and suffered greatly for ignoring that advice.

HOWEVER, I am doing much better now and am well on my way to recovery. 

In fact, I keep thinking I've fully recovered, only to find that I had a very mild symptom, but I only notice it when it's left. How weird is that, eh?

anyway, I've been on this site since late in 2016 and have read a LOT of the threads and overall, I have to say, those super smart people who went very slowly in their taper and kept things very stable, did the best (or are currently doing well, as some have not yet finished their tapers) Some have had little to no symptoms! How I envy those people, and I hope with all my heart that you will be one of them, who goes slowly enough to have no symptoms.

all the best to you on your journey of healing

:)

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you H2H!

2 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Wow, a normal day.  That's really good news.  Maybe you will find that you can hold.  No need to answer me.  I know you can't, but you will see this.  So, just know that I'm hoping you are stabilizing and that you can hold for a while before tapering anything.  

Maybe if you had a normal day then tapering mirt is a bad idea.  That's what I think.  Changing something right when you have a window from all the misery might bring on more problems.  Think about it.  

It's very hard to "do nothing," but that's what stabilizing is -- doing nothing different.  I've "done nothing" for a long time, and I have doubted myself many times, but it is paying off now.  Hang in there.  

I hope the CBT helps you.  Try to remember that it takes some practice.  It does work for me.  There's a book called The Feeling Good Handbook and there is also a workbook.  There is a website and there are even free podcasts.  Check out feelinggood.com

I hope you find peace,

Rosetta

Thank you Rosetta, I do appreciate your words.  I'm not going to do anything with the Mirt right now.  It's been about 2.5 months on my regular dose and I am still sweating buckets!  My hand moved by itself today, which was weird! I'm scared to do this taper but I feel that I must, for my physical health.  I have to find a way to adjust to my new normal, which is not being "corporate" girl but now a housewife.  This is hard for me.  But I'm going to work on it. I went to a private concert last night by very talented Dennis Deyoung, formerly of Styx. He is 71 years old now and still has an awesome voice!  "The Best of Times"  I almost had to leave from sweating. Bless you and prayers to all!

• magnesium, fish oil

Welcome Doxx,

Wishing you a good taper.  I must second H2H's advice.  Slow, slow, steady, steady, and you will "win the race."  I was on Zoloft for many years, and I didn't know about this need to slowly taper.  It has been very rough.  

I'm glad you are deciding to taper now because 200 mg is a very high dose.  I was up to 150 at the end.  Mine "pooped out" -- stopped working -- before that time, and that is very destabilizing.  (I was first destabilized by switching meds in 2011, but I didn't know that until 2017!) Doctors who say that we should stay on these drugs for life or switch meds when they poop out have no earthly idea what actually happens in tachyphylaxis (poop out). Likewise, there are other drugs we may need to take for other conditions, and they can interfere with Zoloft (and other ADs.) That's another reason staying on these drugs for life is not feasible.

So, bottom line, you are doing the right thing for your future and Im really glad you are lucky to know about slow tapering before starting a quick 4-6 week taper that a doctor might tell you is fine.  Sadly, the pharm companies don't want it to be known how hard it is to stop taking these drugs and how long it can take when doing that safely.  Therefore, most of us don't find out until it's to late.

Peace,

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thank you Rosetta, you are very kind.  

Hello, I've notice that a fair amount of people are taking magnesium.  I have 400 MG (like gel) tablets can I take this before I commence my taper?

13 hours ago, doxxigirl said:

Hello, I've notice that a fair amount of people are taking magnesium.  I have 400 MG (like gel) tablets can I take this before I commence my taper?

Did my post get lost?

On 2/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, Happy2Heal said:

waving Hi to doxxigirl!

so glad you've found us before you start your taper. I'm one of the ones who found this site a bit too late, and then, being pig-headed and thinking I was a "special case", I didn't follow the wonderful advice I was given- and suffered greatly for ignoring that advice.

HOWEVER, I am doing much better now and am well on my way to recovery. 

In fact, I keep thinking I've fully recovered, only to find that I had a very mild symptom, but I only notice it when it's left. How weird is that, eh?

anyway, I've been on this site since late in 2016 and have read a LOT of the threads and overall, I have to say, those super smart people who went very slowly in their taper and kept things very stable, did the best (or are currently doing well, as some have not yet finished their tapers) Some have had little to no symptoms! How I envy those people, and I hope with all my heart that you will be one of them, who goes slowly enough to have no symptoms.

all the best to you on your journey of healing

:)

Waving back to @Happy2Heal!!  I've read your thread and I have to say, I am inspired!  I haven't started by taper as of yet. I am waiting for some supplies so I can accurately measure.  I look forward to the day that I am drug free!

• Moderator Emeritus

It's best not to introduce two changes at once because if there's a problem or reaction, you won't know the cause.  If your taper won't start for a week or so, I see no reason why you couldn't start the magnesium and see if it agrees with you.  Magnesium can have a laxative effect, so it's best to start at a lower dose than 400mg and work up to see how it agrees with you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

B vitamins are generally to be avoided during withdrawal as they, especially B6, tend to be activating.  We also advise against multiple vitamins since if something causes a problem, you won't know what it was.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

24 minutes ago, Gridley said:

so it's best to start at a lower dose than 400mg and work up to see how it agrees with you.

Thank you for your response @Gridley  Can I cut these gel tablets in half?  They are like gel kind of, not like a regular tablet.

Welcome!

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

It might be easier to buy a lower dosage magnesium.  Or you can buy some gelcaps and pour the gel in to divide the dosage.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Oh shoot! I can't afford that!  They're not really gel caps, but rather pills that look like gel, does that make sense?

Hey, Doxx,

Your post is there.  Please don't get discouraged.  You are so incredibly lucky to have found this site before you made a terrible mistake with your meds that really don't want you to get discouraged.  You will realize that you can find all the info that you need by reading the topics in Home and Support.  So, if posting in your introduction doesn't result in an answer keep looking on your own.  Also, you can go to google and type in Survivingantidepressants magnesium and you will see more results than if you try to use the search engine embedded in the site.

When you are ready to start your taper make sure you post that you plan to begin on such an such a date and you will start to get more answers.  If you don't get an answer to an urgent post then post "Bump" and your thread will go to the top of the list.  Posting questions in your Introduction is perfectly ok, its just inefficient sometimes.

It's pretty rare that someone shows up here stable with a functioning brain and wants to learn about this process before beginning.  The site is set up for people like you, too, with all the information accessible to you, but you may not get quick answers from members.  Read the info you find on the general information threads and then ask questions about it here in your introduction.  The truth is there aren't enough Mods to answer all questions and many members don't feel they know the answers or are too sick to help you.  That's why the general info topics are on the site.

The short answer is yes, magnesium is helpful, but it has a big drawback for some people.  There's a whole thread on it on this site.  Magnesium is good for the CNS, but the dose for each person is different.  Too much causes cramps and diarrhea, and it can be a real problem if you can't get to a bathroom quickly.  There are many foods that provide magnesium.  So whether you need it or not is a question.  As you are stable, you could try 100 mg and then raise the dose if that doesn't cause you any problems.  The canister says 325 mg is a safe dose.  I would start lower just in case you have a healthy diet.  The supplement I use, "Natural Calm" by a company named Natural Vitality, is available at Sprouts.  Maybe you can find it in LA.  See naturalvitality.com

You have no idea how incredibly lucky you are to arrive here with your brain function and your central nervous system intact.  What you can learn here will save you all the suffering I have had.  The Mods are all volunteers and they spend a lot of time helping people whose central nervous systems are "destabilized."  Destabilization is caused by missing doses of medication, tapering too fast, and quitting cold turkey.  (That's what you can avoid by doing a slow, safe taper.) The destabilization of the CNS causes cognitive functioning to deteriorate.  The Mods help people who are struggling to find information on the site, and they try to help those who can't read or process information easily.   (My husband had to read the info here for me when I found this site.  I couldn't make out what it all meant.)

There are too few Mods to look in on everyone as they are all volunteers and some are still ill from cold turkey stops or too fast tapers of their meds.  They help us when they are in "Windows" -- moments or hours when their symptoms are less severe. Many of them have jobs and families and are located in Europe, Australia or New Zealand.  So some of them are at work or asleep.

Regular Members will try to help you get around the site sometimes.  Usually, we are sick or confused and aren't much help.  Sometimes, like I feel now, we feel capable of helping someone else.  One thing that is very difficult is that reading a new thread can be traumatic for us.  We don't know when we open the thread if the person is suffering greatly.  It's a risk to read about someone else's illness.  It can make us more depressed or anxious.  Quite frankly, I'm writing to you right now because you aren't sick yet.  It's one of those days when I can't read about someone else's misery.

There are very few regular members who started the way you are.  Most of us don't know what it's like to be healthy and stable on medication when we begin to learn about tapering.  You are so far ahead of the game.  Stay that way!!!

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thank you for your response, Rosetta! I've been reading a lot about AD's recently and I cannot believe the ignorance of doctors, it's such a disgrace and very heartbreaking.  I wonder when/if things will begin to change, I feel like this is a medical disaster that has been afflicted on so many innocent people.  I pray that my taper goes smoothly.

This is what I have ordered to start my taper.  Will this work? I should fill it up with 100ml of water (what kind of water?) 

Then add a 100mg tablet, let it dissolve and then draw out the percentage of my decrease, and drink the rest? Is the proper way? :huh:

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, doxxigirl said:

what kind of water?

It is probably best to use bottled water.  That way you know it will be consistent.  Remember to use the same equipment and do everything the same way every time.  It's a good idea to keep notes on paper of what you are doing/using and quantities so you can refer back to it if needed.

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

It is probably best to use bottled water.  That way you know it will be consistent.  Remember to use the same equipment and do everything the same way every time.  It's a good idea to keep notes on paper of what you are doing/using and quantities so you can refer back to it if needed.

Oh, hello ChessieCat!  Thank you for your response.  Are my calculations correct? i.e; 100mg tablet/100ml water? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, 100mg/100ml water.  Each ml of water will then contain 1mg of drug.  So if you are reducing by 10% extract 10ml and discard and drink the rest.  This would be 90mg of drug.

Thank you ChessieCat!

Doxx,

Yes, you are right,  It's a disaster.   Very few people with the power to intervene have any interest in doing so.  Try not to think about it.  You need to focus on your own health right now.  Please don't risk anatagonizing your doctor by questioning his advice or suggesting he's ignorant.  

I'm usually careful not to bombard new members with a lot of info, but I get the feeling you are able to handle it.  I'm sure you will have an easy taper, but there are ways to make sure as best you can.

I would not try to start nicotine withdrawal before or while you are tapering.   Keep everything besides Zoloft/sertraline stable.  

You need to be very careful which of your doctors you trust with the information that you are tapering.  It's best to discuss it only with a doctor who is on the SA list as being knowledgable or one you find to be very open to the idea.  Some members have real medical problems ignored by doctors who know they are tapering.  Doctors who know their patients are on ADs often dismiss complaints about physical problems as a psychological disorder.  Imagine the attitude of a doctor who thinks you should not be tapering slowly? Doctors even have names for the psychological issue afflicting those who want to taper: OCD about medication.  You really have to keep your head when you are with a doctor who is unaware of the issues we face.

Some members accept prescriptions for their regular doses and make liquids from them.  They don't ask for liquid medications and they don't tell the doctor that they are tapering.  This is because they hear that a doctor has taken a prescription away from a patient because the patient told him that she was at the point in her taper that she was taking less than a "therapeutic dose."  That is a very critical time in the taper for some people.  Having to stop the med too early can be problematic.  It's best to avoid that possibility unless you have a doctor you can trust.

Sometimes a doctor will insist a patient switch medications.  You don't want to do that either (except in certain circumstances that the Mods suggest are possibilities.)

Essentially, double check anything you might do to your body here on SA and see what others might have experienced.  It's the best way to have a safe taper.

Take care, Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

23 minutes ago, Rosetta said:

Sometimes a doctor will insist a patient switch medications.  You don't want to do that either (except in certain circumstances that the Mods suggest are possibilities.)

Hi Rosetta!  Thanks for stopping by!  I definitely will not switch meds, I have seen on this board so many times, it is a disaster in the making.  I will continue to get my regular dose from my doc and not let on that there is anything wrong or different, when I start my taper.  I really don't trust any doctor anymore as they don't seem to realize what they are prescribing.  My last appointment, they tried to tell me that I was in the beginning of a UTI and prescribed CIPRO!  There is no way I would take that unless it is a last resort measure, not for the beginning of a UTI, which can be treated simply with cranberry juice.  I never took the CIPRO and never got a UTI!  The doctors in this country are totally ignorant of most everything, which is very sad.  God help us all!