SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Music therapy / music for wellness and healing

Shep

• Moderator Emeritus

Note: Please use this thread to list and discuss your favorite types of music therapy. If you have favorite music videos for getting you through withdrawal or you just want to discuss music in general, please use this thread - Music ...what music helps you? Put it here

*************************************************************************************************************

“Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”

~ Maya Angelou

Resources on music and healing, available online for free: 

Music For Wellness - Learn how music can help reduce stress and improve your health and well-being. No prior music background is required. 

From the Berklee College of Music. A free 4-week, self-paced online course where you can: 

Learn simple techniques to enrich your mind, body, and spirit through music. The methods can be applied in your daily life, particularly when you are feeling down or stressed out. Developed by a board-certified music therapist and a vocalist/pianist/composer/recording artist specializing in Indian music, these strategies combine science with the wisdom of Eastern philosophy.

The course also includes various resource lists of books and CDs / downloads to expand your knowledge base. 

Edx.org has other courses available for free, including basic music theory and music appreciation courses that may be of interest:

EdX.org - Music Courses 

Online articles on music and healing:

The Guardian - Want to 'train your brain'? Forget apps, learn a musical instrument

The Mind Unleashed - Psycho-Acoustic Medicine: The Science of Sound In Producing Serotonin, Neurotransmitters & Health

The Dana Foundation: How Music Helps to Heal the Injured Brain

Mercola - How Music Helps Unlock Memories and Improve Quality of Life for Dementia Patients

Scholarly articles on the healing effects of music:

Music Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress in Adults: A Theoretical Review

The effects of music relaxation and muscle relaxation techniques on sleep quality and emotional measures among individuals with posttraumatic stress disorder

Reviewing the Effectiveness of Music Interventions in Treating Depression

“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”

~ Victor Hugo

Hi Shep,

Thanks for sharing this. I think I read the Guardian article this week and they suggested Classical Music was best. I think so too as i'm a Millenial in my 20's and whenever I do cardio If I put a bit of Ray Charles or SInatra instead of the rapper Tupac Shakur (Which I like for some for his raw emotion and anger), with Classical - I'll notice my muscles relax and I cruise the run. Sort of like the horse Secretariat moving faster with every stride at the Belmont Stakes.

Idk where you are from but also here in Australia they play Classical music in the Vineyards. They have these huge speakers across acres of farms of plants and the plants just seem to grow a better crop better than when they didn't do it. They also produce a sweeter taste, not that that means much to some as people indulge differently in wines. However, I Thought it was interesting to learn about it.

Also I read your 'Shep's journey into non-drug coping techniques'. I didn't know you listened to Mooji. I happened to meet the man in Person, twice. Did you ever find what he said helpful or try to implement what he said, What a great man he is. Saved my life many times.

** Please use this thread to list and discuss your favorite types of music therapy. If you have favorite music videos for getting you through withdrawal or you just want to discuss music in general, please use this thread.

In No particular order:

1. Ray Charles

2. Sinatra.

3. Hans Zimmer - Greatest Hits. Dark Knight, Gladiator, Lion King. :)

Going to definitely get back into music more often now that you mentioned these articles, perhaps pick up the piano or guitar again, thanks for the post and reminder Shep.

Ryder

2008-2012: Cymbalta, Zyprexa, Valium (5 days supply),

2012 - Seroquel x 4 weeks C/T. 

2014 - Seroquel x 2 Weeks C/T. Crossed to Risperidone 3mg for 6months until December.

2014 - Stopped Risperidone. Xfer > Anti-Depressant 200mg Zoloft and 6mg Clonazepam. 

2018 - 150mg Clomipromine changed Anti-depressant. Tapered Benzo to 1mg Clonazepam. 2019 - xfer to 20mg Diazepam. 

Currently:

Anafranil: 75mg. 17th Dec 2022 70mg. 27th Dec 22: 75mg, 14 January 23': 70mg. 16-26th January: 50mg (too fast drop no sleep). Jan 28th 2023: 70mg. 20 Feb 2023: 65mg. 11/06: 60mg 9/08: 55mg 15/08/23 : 50mg
3/03/2024: 60mg (Updose)

Diazepam (V): 25th Oct 2019' 20mg. 22 Dec 19' 19mg. 04 Apr 2020' 18mg,  30 September 20' 17.5mg , 13 Nov 2020' 17mg. 01 January 2021: 16mg, 13th Aug 21' 15mg. 1st Nov' 2021 14.5mg. 1st Dec' 2021 14mg. 13 January 2022: 13.5mg, 11 Feb: 13mg.  11 April 22' 12.5mg, 12 May 22': 12mg, 6th September 2022: 11mg Valium. 9th October: 10.5mg, 25th Oct 10mg. 12 March 23: 9.5mg 2 April: 9.25mg 23 April: 9mg 12/05: 8.75 26/05: 8.5 12/09: 8.25 21/09: 8.5. 3/10: 8.25 17/10: 8mg 20th Nov Brassmonkey: (7.9.,7.8, 7.75) 5 Feb: 7.25mg. 23 Feb: 7mg 

*.      Have tried to go at faster rate than 0.5mg but is currently too fast. 

For me music helps the same than painting and being on fresh air.

I think the best for recovery would be to invent your own music, I played the guitar as a teenage but forgot already. But the guitar was not "mine" (my dream instrument), we played long etudes and had to train a lot. It didnt make me that happy. The teacher was some heavy metal man  who was in some domestic group, wore always black, tried to teach me but my enthusiasm kept itself in borders  :-) If I could choose one instrument to play, it would be either violin or harmonica. I think harmonica is the most beautiful instrument ever. It can so beautifully imitate the sea.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

• Mentor
7 hours ago, Shep said:

Music For Wellness - Learn how music can help reduce stress and improve your health and well-being. No prior music background is required. 

From the Berklee College of Music. A free 4-week, self-paced online course where you can: 

Shep, thank you for sharing this! Not sure if I am in a wave but everthing feels "flat." Going to check this out.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• 3 weeks later...

Of course it is, because it feels so good when it stops playing. LOL:lol:

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, brassmonkey said:

Of course it is, because it feels so good when it stops playing. LOL:lol:

Thanks for making me laugh, Brass. :D

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Another find on the MiA site:

Music Therapy Interventions Reduce Depression Symptoms in Dementia

This is the full documentary of "Alive Inside" which shows the power of music in working with Alzheimer patients.

Alive Inside (documentary) video (1 hour 17 minutes)

Considering psychiatric drugs have killed hundreds of thousands of people (Zyprexa alone has killed 200,000 people and many of them are elderly), it's a crime against humanity that music and other non-drug treatments aren't being used. 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

• Moderator Emeritus

Hip Hop as music therapy: 

Hip-Hop as Therapy: The Healing Qualities of Rap

Jackson points out that hip-hop has a long history of healing: “The principles of hip-hop are rooted in giving voice to the oppressed and resisting oppressive systems, political advocacy, vibrant youth expression, and raising public conscious and awareness. The ability to tell one’s story from a strength-based perspective, which allows youth to reframe the narrative that has been told to them or they often believe themselves, is critical to both healing and development.”

One theory on why so many young people are put on drugs:

Psychiatry’s Oppression of Young Anarchists — and the Underground Resistance

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm copying a wonderful post that Dude made over in the non-drug coping skills thread.

Beautiful music videos and links to the science behind the magic. 

59 minutes ago, Dude said:

I recently came across a song that is apparently scientifically proven to reduce anxiety by 65%. It's called "Weightless" and is by a band called Marconi Union. Apparently they were in the charts in 2017 so some of you might already be familiar with it (I only just heard of the song). Whether the track can reduce anxiety caused by withdrawal to such an extent I don't know (maybe the 65% applies to "normal", everyday stress and anxiety experienced by most people). But after having listened to it myself, I have to say that it does seem to have a calming effect. So maybe it'd be worth a try for those having trouble with symptoms of stress and anxiety caused by withdrawal.

Here's the original (8 minute) version from youtube:

There's also a 30 minute and a 10 hour version on Youtube.

30 minute version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYoqCJNPxv4

10 hour version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYnA9wWFHLI

And here are some links to articles in which it's mentioned that the effect of the track is scientifically proven:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanpassman/2016/11/23/the-worlds-most-relaxing-song/#47b2703d2053

https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/neuroscience-says-listening-to-this-one-song-reduces-anxiety-by-up-to-65-percent.html

(Note: The second article also contains a list of other songs (with links) that apparently have a similar effect and which therefore might also be worth a try)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I've also found useful when it comes to music is tracks containing binaural beats and/or isochronic tones. One of the best tracks of this kind that I've used (and continue to use) that helps me get to sleep, for example, is a track called "Peaceful Ocean" by Project Meditation, which is part of their "Sleep Easy Solution" package, which contains a couple of different tracks and can be found on their website (simple google search).

Unfortunately, it's not available for free (which is why I can't provide a link to the track itself) and costs just under $100. Personally, I think it's worth the investment, though, if you happen to have the cash to spare (and no, I'm not affiliated with "Project Meditation" in any way and have nothing to gain financially by mentioning it).

They also offer a whole program called "Life Flow", by the way, which basically consists of tracks using certain binaural beats and isochronic tones that are apparently specifically designed to enhance meditation (ten one-hour discs in total). I purchased the program myself years ago (i.e. while going through acute cold turkey withdrawal) but found it very difficult to meditate, which is why I never used it much. And although the tracks themselves seem to be relatively decent (that is with regard to their quality), I personally think they're way overpriced (the whole system costs about $700, which is about two or three times more than it should cost, in my opinion). So beware not to get suckered in by their somewhat aggressive sales/advertising tactics (i.e. the way their website is designed).

Also, you can find relatively decent tracks using the same principles on youtube. Just type in "sleep binaural beats" or "sleep isochronic tones" or something like that in the search bar (the same goes for stress relief and anxiety). But as for the "Sleep Easy Solution" (i.e the "Peaceful Ocean" track I mentioned), I do think it's worth the money. So that might be something to consider.

That being said, I'm going to see what happens after listening to the first track I mentioned above (i.e. "Weightless") regularly. Who knows, maybe it'll help reduce certain symptoms long term and not just temporarily.

Anyway, hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hip hop, grit, and academic success: Bettina Love at TEDxUGA video (15 minutes)

A video on Hip Hop and learning. Awesome video. Around 9 minutes in, Dr. Love explains how hip hop improves the development of the pre-frontal cortex and helps in the development of emotion, motivation, and language. The video is about the magic of  improvisation and the emotional intelligence of "knowing". Very inspiring. 

Edited by Shep
fixed typo

• 1 month later...
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Music therapy / music for wellness and healing
  • 2 years later...

I'll tell you what helps me relax and kills the anger and irritability, even temporarily - not music as such, but ambient soundscapes. Here are some of my favourites.

History of depression and anxiety. Symptoms of PTSD. 1998-1999 Venlafaxine 2006-2007 Prozac.2013-15 Sertraline 50mg. 2015 cross-tapered to citalopram 20mg. 2015-2021 Citalopram 20mg (brief increase to 30mg for 2/3 months in 2019. 01/2021 Dropped from 20mg to 10mg, back up to 20mg til June. 25/6/21 stopped CT. Started 50mg 5htp after a week without citalopram in the hope this would balance out my serotonin levels. After 3 days increased to 100mg 5htp. 11/7/21 Stopped 5htp with the intention of reinstating citalopram at 1mg. 16/7/21 Reinstated cit at 1mg. 2/8/21 Increased dose to 2mg. 28/11/21 10% reduction to 1.8mg.

8/12/21 2mg 6/1/22 1.8mg 10/2/22 1.6mg 13/5/22 1.5mg 4/6/22 1.55mg 4/7/22 1.4mg 4/8/22 1.25mg 1/11/22 1.1mg 3/3/23 1mg 18/4/23 0.9mg 2/6/23 0.8mg 4/10/23 0.7mg 11/11/23 jumped off @0.7mg started on 5htp 200mg -400mg, L-Theanine, and L-tyrosine 200mg. 25/11/23 came off 5-htp, l-tyrosine and l-Theanine. 24/12/23 went on 7.5mg mirtazapine. 27/12/23 stopped mirtazapine & reinstated citalopram @.35mg. 1/1/24 increased to 0.5mg. PTSD diagnosis October 2023. 11/11/23 started EMDR therapy for PTSD. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to taper off citalopram. Vegan, otherwise healthy lifestyle. Other medications; tapering off combined HRT. Other supplements; magnesium glycinate, vegan omega3. Completely OFF caffeine (since July 21). Finding it difficult to completely give up alcohol but haven’t had any since 25/12/23. Main symptoms; crushing depression, anhedonia/emotional anesthesia, irritability, rage, anxiety/fear, intrusive thoughts, cognitive fog, inability to focus, restlessness and some insomnia

• 7 months later...

I just found this article about one of my most favorite singers - Melody Gardot. Her story is fascinating - she had severe neurological damage from an accident, autonomic dysfunction, pain, aphasia and the one thing that helped her get through that and rebuild her nervous system (in a way) was music therapy. This article provides more details. 

Melody Gardot should not be playing music (brisbanetimes.com.au)

I think this is one of her most popular videos. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Not sure if I should put a "trigger" warning up for posting...

But - Ren. He has space on youtube, spotify, and other platforms.

His story is fascinating, terribly tragic, and beautiful as he is overcoming a long term, formerly misdiagnosed illness(es). There are too many words to describe his styles, what he draws from, but it definitely draws one in...I'll let you all decide for yourselves if you choose to listen/watch.

It's a rabbithole of a journey for anyone that dives deep into the background of what forms his music, but I very much find it therapeutic. Some may feel too much from it, so I thought the trigger warning may be necessary.

Be well, everyone.

2001-2023 Alcohol use; 2022-2023 Alcohol Harm Reduction (self-taper); Feb 5, 2023 Last drink

Feb 8, 2023 Alcohol withdrawal; ER/hospital; involuntary hold. 

Feb 13 Involuntary rehab. Lexapro 10 mg; Zyprexa 5 mg; Trazodone 100 mg

March 8 & 9 No drugs taken (prescription was delayed); March 10 - Resumed all drugs 

Zyprexa taper 2023 March 28--> 4.5 mg; April 25 -->4.05mg; May 23 -->3.65 mg

June 20-->3.47 mg; July 4 -->3.28 mg; July 25 -->3.12 mg; Aug 8 --> 2.8 mg; Aug 22 --> 2.63 mg;

Sept. 6 --> 2.5 mg (holding) 

Trazodone taper 2023 Sept 19--> 90 mg; Nov. 7 --> 85.5 mg (holding) 

Lexapro taper 2023 Oct. 25--> 9.5 mg; Nov. 7 --> 9 mg

Supplements: magnesium glycinate, omega-3 fish oil

I feel I should preface Ren's work/art with this video when he was much younger. His art goes to dark places (hence the previous possible trigger warning) but this one is quite uplifting for anyone who begins to listen to him.  

Wishing you all strength and patience!

2001-2023 Alcohol use; 2022-2023 Alcohol Harm Reduction (self-taper); Feb 5, 2023 Last drink

Feb 8, 2023 Alcohol withdrawal; ER/hospital; involuntary hold. 

Feb 13 Involuntary rehab. Lexapro 10 mg; Zyprexa 5 mg; Trazodone 100 mg

March 8 & 9 No drugs taken (prescription was delayed); March 10 - Resumed all drugs 

Zyprexa taper 2023 March 28--> 4.5 mg; April 25 -->4.05mg; May 23 -->3.65 mg

June 20-->3.47 mg; July 4 -->3.28 mg; July 25 -->3.12 mg; Aug 8 --> 2.8 mg; Aug 22 --> 2.63 mg;

Sept. 6 --> 2.5 mg (holding) 

Trazodone taper 2023 Sept 19--> 90 mg; Nov. 7 --> 85.5 mg (holding) 

Lexapro taper 2023 Oct. 25--> 9.5 mg; Nov. 7 --> 9 mg

Supplements: magnesium glycinate, omega-3 fish oil

• 5 months later...

Interesting topic! 

Being a bit of an audiophile myself, meaning that I’m enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction in my home setting. I couldn’t tolerate my music since the beginning of my slow taper in 2019.

About a year ago I was able to enjoy this hobby again, but only every now and then. I started to get the goosebumps again, also called  ‘frissons’ in this context. Some of my playlists can make me very sad, and tears can flow easily. Not only triggered by the beauty of the music, but also by emotions that were suppressed by the SSRI for so long. Songs that remind me of my youth and/or things in life that I’ve never experienced due to these meds also can be the reason for my tears. Luckily I feel a bit relieved after these listening sessions. Listening to music also helps me during the weight training I picked up this year, after a long time without training. Especially a bit of old school 90’s Hip Hop helps me during my training sessions.

I wonder if others that are tapering have similar experiences.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy