Laurajk

Is there a way to stop the suicidal thoughts and thoughts of just wanting to be done with life? 

Began citalopram approx. 1998. 

Tapered for about two months or so in about 2015. Stayed completely off med for three months. 

Went back on med after that three months,  so it was still sometime in 2015. 

Tapered for about 6 months starting in May 2017. Stopped med in mid November 2017. 

Started taking about 1 milligram again today, January 22, 2018, hoping to stop suicidal thoughts, etc..  

• ChessieCat changed the title to Laurakj: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Laurakj and welcome to SA,

We ask all members to create a drug signature which will show below every post you make.  Please use the following format:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We encourage members to visit other members' topics so you can support each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to me. I pretty much have been reading everything I can get my hands on. I just found this site today. I will read as much as I can on this site as you suggested. Were you on an SSRI? Are you off now?  If you are off of it now how long have you been off? I was on citalopram for about 20 years and have been off of it for two months. I weaned off of it for about 6 months. It is s much, much longer story than this, of course though. It is so scary. I don't feel like I will ever be the same. Thank you again for wishing me the best. I appreciate it. I realize you might not want to answer the questions I asked. And that is ok if this is the case. 

Tapered for about two months or so in about 2015. Stayed completely off med for three months. 

Tapered for about 6 months starting in May 2017. Stopped med in mid November 2017. 

Started taking about 1 milligram again today, January 22, 2018, hoping to stop suicidal thoughts, etc..  

Welcome Laura

Are you able to expediate a drug signature then the mods can give you some good advice.

A 2 month taper is far too fast with your exposure to this drug. Many people are finding they have to taper for several years to get off the drug.

The wdl symptoms are delayed and 2-4 months is very common. My feeling is things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. Its not you its the drug withdrawal.

You might like to read this and see what you think.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Heres a very excellent piece by a member on what has happened to our brains.

Brain remodeling

And two more informative links

What is withdrawal syndrome

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Well I wish you the best of luck. Sounds pretty good for you so far. Last night I took about 1 Mg of celexa. I think i am going to take that amount each day to see if I can feel some better. And yes,  this site is the best thing I have found so far. Thanks again. 

And thank you nz11 for writing me and sending me the information. I did go back on approx one mg of celexa last night and will probably stay on that for awhile if I feel better. I really appreciate the information. 

• 1 month later...

To nz11 or anyone else who might want to respond, I did try going back on 1 mg of citalopram but I am pretty miserable. I wouldn't have thought that small amount could bring such side effects. Does anyone know if that is normal? I'm thinking I might be better off just putting up with the symptoms I already had before going back on 1 mg. Thank you in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...

After my last weaning session from citalopram, I now have tinnitus/ear ringing. Had taken citalopram for 20 years with no ear ringing. I realize many people get the ear ringing while either on SSRI or after weaning, but I wondered if anyone had success in stopping the ear ringing by going back on the SSRI. I had to go back on it, at 5 mg because I could not stand all the symptoms a day longer. I'm hoping that the ear ringing will go away, so I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation, and if they had a positive outcome. I really think I'm stuck on this med forever, unfortunately. I would appreciate any information on ear ringing/tinnitus. Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

Here is SA's topic:  tinnitus-what-does-all-that-noise-mean

#51 on this list:  Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management