Tianeptine SSRE - Stablon/Tialera/Coaxil

AmqA

Hi everyone! 

Did anyone use this type of medications that works oppositely to SSRI? This is SSRE - serotonin reuptake enhancer, prescribed for depression and anxiety, invented in 1960s in France. It is used in Europe and in Asia mainly. Any experiences?

Thank you

• 1 year later...

Hello, as I was thinking of the damage ssri has done, i thought of how they block seretonin receptors, so the receptors get used to inhibition and seretonin existing in synspses, creating pssd and feeling down. Then I thought to myself, if thats because of seretonin reuptake inhibition, what happens when taking seretonin reuptake enhacers (SSRE). I looked it up, and people who have taken SSRE feel exactly the opposite, enhanced mode, more emotions and cognitive abilities as opposed to emotional numbing from SSRI! Furthermore, since doctors claim that ssri work as antidepressants, then ssre would cause depression, but results has showed that ssre treated depression more and enhanced abilities! This made some places like Iceland drop the neurotransmitter/seretonin theory of depression. Furthermore, SSRE is showing results in europe but is banned in USA. Im not saying lets take SSRE, as im against battling drugs with drugs. What Im saying is lets look into it, and perhaps find natural ssre herbs or supplements. I havent found anything in my quick search, thats why im posting it here. If you guys could look into this theory, and keep me updated.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tianeptine is the drug you are referring to (also sold under brand names Stablon and Coaxil among others). There are many reasons that the SSRE will not work for SSRI withdrawal, but the fact that 1 in 5 people experience insomnia on it makes it a poor choice for people suffering from SSRI withdrawal (source - Tianeptine Side Effects). 

10 hours ago, dabdoobah1997 said:

Furthermore, SSRE is showing results in europe but is banned in USA.

The reason that Tianeptine is not sold in the US is two-fold. First, it's already generic, so it won't make money (the main purpose of medicine in the US is for profit). This drug has been around since 1989 in France, so it went generic many years ago. 

The second reason is its connection to opioids (as reported here - The atypical antidepressant and neurorestorative agent tianeptine is a μ-opioid receptor agonist). So in higher doses, it comes with the potential for abuse (you can google and find all sorts of articles about it). With the US already dealing with a massive opioid epidemic (and really, a massive prescription epidemic since more people die from drug combinations than from opioids alone), this drug is not likely to be approved in the US. 

Since Tianeptine, just like all psychiatric drugs, also comes with its own withdrawal, it would not be a "cure", but rather, a future problem. 

10 hours ago, dabdoobah1997 said:

Furthermore, since doctors claim that ssri work as antidepressants, then ssre would cause depression, but results has showed that ssre treated depression more and enhanced abilities! This made some places like Iceland drop the neurotransmitter/seretonin theory of depression.

The neurotransmitter/serotonin theory of depression - aka the "chemical imbalance theory" - was also debunked in 1999 in the US in the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) Textbook of Psychiatry. Per Robert Whitaker's book Psychiatry Under the Influence (p. 56), the APA's textbook states:

The monoamine hypothesis, which was first proposed in 1965, holds that monoamines such as norepinephrine and 5-HT [serotonin] are deficient in depression and that the action of antidepressants depends on increasing the synaptic availability of these monoamines. The monoamine hypothesis was based on observations that antidepressants block reuptake inhibition of norepinephrine, 5-HT, and/or dopamine. However, inferring neurotransmitter pathophysiology from an observed action of a class of medications on neurotransmitter availability is similar to concluding that because aspirin causes gastrointestinal bleeding, headaches are caused by too much blood and the therapeutic action of aspirin in headaches involves blood loss. Additional experience has not confirmed the monoamine depletion hypothesis. 

From what we know now about withdrawal from an SSRI, the best solution is a careful taper. Sometimes if someone is recently off their antidepressant after a too-quick taper, a reinstatement is suggested. 

There are likely many other reasons not to use Tianeptine. We do not know of any drug that can cure withdrawal. 

For a really good description of withdrawal syndrome, you may find this helpful:

One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

Edited by Shep
added link - "one theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome"

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tianeptine SSRE - Stablon/Tialera/Coaxil
  • Administrator

You can't fix withdrawal syndrome by chemically manipulating serotonin receptors, withdrawal syndrome is a dysregulation in many systems throughout the body.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator
On 2/7/2019 at 5:54 PM, dabdoobah1997 said:

This made some places like Iceland drop the neurotransmitter/seretonin theory of depression.

This theory has been debunked everywhere.

Please note: Every wave of new psychiatric drugs comes with glowing reports about how great they are -- and without the adverse effects of their predecessors! This is inevitably proved to be untrue.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 1/22/2018 at 12:17 PM, AmqA said:

Hi everyone! 

Did anyone use this type of medications that works oppositely to SSRI? This is SSRE - serotonin reuptake enhancer, prescribed for depression and anxiety, invented in 1960s in France. It is used in Europe and in Asia mainly. Any experiences?

Thank you

I used Stablon. It is a very dangerous drug, more dangerous than other ADs, because it acts on opioid receptors. 

Please see my story here

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy