teddyboink: Mirtazapine taper

teddyboink

Hi all. I have been researching psych med withdrawal for the past couple months, ever since i came off Latuda, which gave me anxiety so bad that i couldnt sleep for days, ended up in the ER, on Klonopin, and finally a week stay in the VA psych ward where they put me on mirtazapine 15mg. I am currently tapering off Mirtazapine. this is my 4th day dropping my dose to 7.5 and i havent felt anything different yet. I will keep posting.

Prozac 20mg-40mg, on and off 2009 - 2014, paxil on and off 2014 - 2016 (not sure of month). and then we go into 2017, which i dont remember dosages and dates but my pdoc had me switching meds and doses almost every 2 weeks for about 3 months. . rexulti early june 2017 for about 2 weeks, then my quack had me double the dose. then vraylar initial dose then doubled after a couple weeks, vyvance, trintellix, and then we got to early september 2017 with Latuda 20mg, and in mid september bumped to 40mg for about 2 weeks, was also taking trazodone 100mg at the time. hated the side effects and was doing TMS, so doc had me drop to 20mg *PANIC ATTACK* around the first of november. Dropped to 10mg for a few days and then doc told me to stop. I quit smoking at this time, was ok for a 3 days and then anxiety and no sleep for days after, ER visit, gave me klonopin .5mg. 14 december found me at the VA Psych ward. 15 dec, was put on Mirtazapine 15mg/ off the klonopin. Jan 20, 2018, Mitrazapine 7.5 mg. somewhere around mid feb i cut down to 3.75(quarter of a 15mg pill). mid march i discontinued using Mirtazapine. 18 april 2018 started 10mg prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, teddyboink, and welcome to SA.  I have moved your post to our Introductions and Updates section where more people will see it.  This is where you post questions and updates.

You are tapering too fast.  If you continue at this rate, you run the risk of some unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

I suggest you hold at your current 7.5mg for at least four weeks to let your nervous system get used to the change in dosage, then taper at no more than 10% per month.  

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Edited by DataGuy
Replacing broken link to "tips for tapering off mirtazapine"

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

and there it is. i am feeling the first twinges of anxiety. I knew it was too big a drop but i thought for sure it couldnt be as bad as latuda. so far it isnt. I hate these damn pills. I guess in my hurry to get off them, i jumped the gun a little.   Over the past year i went from moderate depression to full blown panic attack, ER visit and a week in the psych ward. not exactly a glowing success story for the pill pushing quack i was going to.

This weekend i will post a thorough history. I dont have time tonight.

Prozac 20mg-40mg, on and off 2009 - 2014, paxil on and off 2014 - 2016 (not sure of month). and then we go into 2017, which i dont remember dosages and dates but my pdoc had me switching meds and doses almost every 2 weeks for about 3 months. . rexulti early june 2017 for about 2 weeks, then my quack had me double the dose. then vraylar initial dose then doubled after a couple weeks, vyvance, trintellix, and then we got to early september 2017 with Latuda 20mg, and in mid september bumped to 40mg for about 2 weeks, was also taking trazodone 100mg at the time. hated the side effects and was doing TMS, so doc had me drop to 20mg *PANIC ATTACK* around the first of november. Dropped to 10mg for a few days and then doc told me to stop. I quit smoking at this time, was ok for a 3 days and then anxiety and no sleep for days after, ER visit, gave me klonopin .5mg. 14 december found me at the VA Psych ward. 15 dec, was put on Mirtazapine 15mg/ off the klonopin. Jan 20, 2018, Mitrazapine 7.5 mg. somewhere around mid feb i cut down to 3.75(quarter of a 15mg pill). mid march i discontinued using Mirtazapine. 18 april 2018 started 10mg prozac.

• Altostrata changed the title to teddyboink: Mirtazapine taper

Today is day 9 of 7.5mg Mirtazapine. Thursday night i had a minor anxiety feeling and a nightmare. Friday night, tossed and turned but slept. Last night, same. im not sleeping well, but i am still getting sleep. i have a tiny feeling of anxiety once in a while during the day, mostly coinciding with reading this forum, or going over the events of this past year. I know that a drop from 15mg to 7.5 was reckless, but i wanted to test the waters and see how i could handle it. Not realizing at the time that if withdrawal hit me hard, bumping back to 15mg would probably take 3 or 4 days to relieve those symptoms. So far, no hard withdrawal symptoms. I am hopeful. I have been on off Prozac and Paxil several times in the past without noticing any withdrawal at all. Latuda, on the other hand, really knocked me for a loop. Maybe because my doc was treating me for bipolar and in reality I suffer from depression made worse by a situation last year that i am not willing to detail here yet. 

It has now been 12 days on the 7.5 dosage. I have felt some minor anxiety, headaches, and some stomach pain. Nothing major, still getting sleep. I seem to have fatigue during the day though.

my wife got some natural sleep aid gummies. OLLY natural sleep i think. They seem to work. l-theanine and other stuff.

3 hours ago, teddyboink said:

my wife got some natural sleep aid gummies. OLLY natural sleep i think. They seem to work. l-theanine and other stuff.

I just read the supplements thread. It was said that taking combination supplements was a bad idea. I will take that into advisement.

in the past i have ct from 40mg prozac. No withdrawal as far as i remember. same with Paxil.  When my former pdoc started experimenting with my head, starting with Rexulti  .5 mg and then 1mg, and then a ct switch to vraylar, then adding a trintellix, ct from them to latuda. through all of that i never had discontinuation symptoms until i started to try to get off Latuda, but of course i was not replacing Latuda with anything.

I have been having some minor anxiety. at least it seems minor compared to the hell i experienced coming off latuda. I'm pretty tired during the day,  but am careful to limit coffee.  ears are still ringing, i hope that isnt permanent. I want to say that if I am left with any permanent side effects, then I will sue that quack, but I can guess that it will be a waste of money. especially since he absolutely refuses to give me  a copy of my records.

That little SOB listened to me talk about horrible anxiety cause by the medication he put me on, and had the nerve to ask me to sit in a group and talk about it. M****F***, you did this to me! Pill pushing quack.

17 days. and still getting minor anxiety. 13 more days and i can drop again. still sleeping fine. hard to tell some days but i think the tinnitus got worse.  Mirtazapine still making me want to eat all the time. The withdrawal has been quite mild so far, even though i dropped by 50%. but again, this is an antidepressant, not an the antipsychotic Latuda that gave me such hell.  I feel that this whole drug experience has stolen from me. stolen time and confidence, and left me with the unwelcome new brain trick of anxiety. I hope in time that will go away.

This gives me hope!

• Ativan Mid April 1999-to end of May 1999 ( COLD TURKEY and flushed them down the toilet) I went through hell for 3 months-I had no idea what was happening to me there was no information on the internet about this drug)
  • Zoloft 200mg 1999 to 2017
  • Wellbutrin 2015 6 months Started having exterme anxiety-quit taking switched back to Zoloft ( I have quit about 6 jobs from this time0  Klonopin .5-1.0 of and on for two months (tapered off in Dec-Jan)
  • 15 mg Remeron 2012-presnt
  • **Started tapering down Zoloft 12/?/17 12/09/17 down to 50mg; 12/12/17-12/14-17 Zoloft 100mg; 12/16/201712/19 -Zoloft 150mg; 12/20/17-01/06/18 Zoloft 200mg; 01/07/18-01//18/18 Zoloft 180mg
  • 01/18/18-present Zoloft 200mg
  • February 2018-Copaxone 40mg (3 times a week shots) (for Multiple Sclerosis)2/17/18 begin transition to liquid 200mg
  • magnesium, fish oil

• Moderator Emeritus

In 13 days, make sure you're feeling ready for the next taper.  Always go by what your body tells you other than a calendar.

I'm glad the symptoms have been mild.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Just now, Gridley said:

In 13 days, make sure you're feeling ready for the next taper.  Always go by what your body tells you other than a calendar.

I'm glad the symptoms have been mild.

Roger that. If i am still feeling some mild anxiety, i will hold. I have been feeling some depression today. BTW, I started taking fish oil caps. I had read that long term alcoholics should be taking 5-6 grams a day, so i did for a few days. seemed like my anxiety rose a little, so i stopped those.  Have also been taking mag. not sure if it helps.

• Moderator Emeritus

Those of us in WD can't take high doses of supplements because our systems are so sensitized.  Five-6 grams omega is a very high dose and you were wise to listen to your body and discontinue.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I think it was november 11 when i took my last dose of Latuda. Every damn doctor rolled their eyes when i mentioned withdrawal symptoms. However even though the shrink i saw at the VA said there were no withdrawal symptoms from Latuda, he, I guess, accidentally made the right call to put me on Mirtazapine, and he even said it would be an 8 to 9 month treatment whereupon i can stop taking it.  So it has only been 3 months since i stopped taking Latuda, I am willing to bet that if i never took Mirtazapine, the Latuda withdrawal may be coming to a close soon. Mirt does help with the withdrawal, without being a benzo.

The Latuda really messed me up. I think that mirt is another drug i could have ct from without a problem, a year ago.

2 hours ago, teddyboink said:

I think it was november 11 when i took my last dose of Latuda. Every damn doctor rolled their eyes when i mentioned withdrawal symptoms. However even though the shrink i saw at the VA said there were no withdrawal symptoms from Latuda, he, I guess, accidentally made the right call to put me on Mirtazapine, and he even said it would be an 8 to 9 month treatment whereupon i can stop taking it.  So it has only been 3 months since i stopped taking Latuda, I am willing to bet that if i never took Mirtazapine, the Latuda withdrawal may be coming to a close soon. Mirt does help with the withdrawal, without being a benzo.

actually the most correct answer would have been to get back on the Latuda 10mg that i was on and taper from there. I wish i had known about this site then.

It has been 23 days since i dropped my dosage. I seem to get tiny little twinges of anxiety just during periods when I am trying to relax. There are some heart palps, but I am able to calm myself.  Sleeping fine, still using the OLLY natural sleep gummies, not every night, but when i feel i need it.  So far I would say it has been going really well.

I was supposed to see my doc this past wednesday, but apparently she called in that day. of course we found out after driving an hour to the VA. Rescheduled for Monday. BTW this is the doc that wanted to send me to audiology because i had developed tinnitus after a week of starting Mirtazapine. My hearing was tested at work just a month previous. Do any of these docs pay attention to the side effects of the crap they are prescribing?

I still dont feel like myself. Last year before all these meds I was fairly active. Now I am ate up with indecision and disinterested in most things except reading forums like this just to gain a glimmer of hope that i will return to some semblance of me.

This has been the longest year of my life. I just want to be off drugs altogether. "well tolerated" sigh i suppose. just getting fatter and more tired, and the tinnitus seems to be the same
. My wife and I are talking about getting a treadmill. usually on the farm there is enough to do that i keep weight off, but this winter has been nasty, and i am tired all the time and my mind doesnt work right. it seems like i cant think for myself. cant remember things. maybe i was like this before. I wonder if this is kind of what it feels like to be lobotomized.

• Moderator Emeritus

Take it easy on exercise.  It can be very activating and thus counterproductive.  Thirty minutes at a gentle pace should be fine.   I know you want to keep the weight off, but things are not as they were before you were in withdrawal.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

i would like to say i get enough exercise at work but its been slow lately. 

the constipation is starting to be a problem. i eat fiber bars but probably dont drink enough water. but some days it feels like im crapping stones

• Moderator Emeritus

Magnesium, one of the supplements recommended by SA, has a laxative effect.  Obviously, take it easy, starting out on a low dose.  Ideally, it could have a doubly beneficial effect of calming nerves and relieving constipation. 

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Teddy Boink

You can do this my friend. I am free from Mirtazapine since 6th of December and i am doing quite good. You can even read my topic to understand where i was and where i am now.

All the best my friend. Just keep it a bit slow. 50% cuts is too much in my opinion. 10% every 2 weeks if your symptoms do not flare up is good my friend.

2015 -  2016 Xanax only rescue doses of 0.125 mg 1-2 times per month
 March 2016 0.125Mg * 2 Xanax for 10 days.

20 March 2016 0.25 Mg * 2 Xanax for one week. 1 April 2016 Tranxene 5 mg and Fevarin but bad reaction for 5 days.4 April 2016 25 Mg Amitryptiline + 6 MG bromazepam at night

Started tapering Bromazepam 6 days later reached up to 3 MG in 10 days and withdrawal. Pdoc asked to go 6 MG again.

10 of May started Remeron 15 MG and started tapering Bromazepam again.

SINCE 09/06/2016 BENZO FREE - Started Tapering Remeron 04/07/2016

04/Jul/16 12.8 Mg, 11/Aug/16 12 Mg, 20/Aug/16 11Mg, 3/Sept/16 10Mg, 11/Sept/16 9 Mg, 30/Sept/16 8.1 Mg, 14/Oct/16 7.25 Mg, 17/Nov/16 6.7, 23/Nov/16 6.5, 2/Dec/16 6.25, 9/Dec/16 6Mg, 25/Dec/16 5.7Mg, 4/Jan/17 5.4Mg, 20/Jan/17 5.2Mg, 07/Feb/17 5 Mg, 15/Feb/17 4.8Mg, 27/Feb/17 4.5Mg, 15/Mar/17 4.2Mg, 23/Mar/17 4Mg, 1/Apr/17 3.7Mg, 14/Apr/17 3.4Mg, 27/Apr/17 3.1Mg, 06/May/17 2.8Mg, 22/May/17 2.6Mg, 31/May/17 2.3Mg 09/Jun/17 2Mg, 20/Jun/17 1.7Mg, 29/Jun/17 1.4Mg, 11/Jul/17 1.2Mg, 20/Jul/17 1Mg, 31/Jul/17 0.8Mg, 11/Aug/17 0.6Mg, 23/Aug/17 0.5Mg, 05/Sept/17 0.4Mg, 13/Sept/17 0.3Mg. 22/Sept/17 0.2Mg, 03/Oct/17 0.15Mg, 10/Oct/17 0.1Mg, 23/Oct/17 0.05Mg, 22/Nov/17 0.025Mg, 06/DECEMBER/2017 MIRT FREEE.

However reckless it was, it was really a test to see how sensitive my brain is. Latuda really screwed me up, but Latuda is an antipsychotic. Mirt is more along the lines of an antidepressant. I had been on and off Prozac  a few times feeling no ill effects as far as i remember.

I could probably just stop at this point but i am not going to push my luck. I will do it the correct way. We have a farm so we do have an odd assortment of syringes. Time to dust off the scale.

i have not cut down any further. doc said i shouldn't until i have one year on the wagon. so that is mother's day. i can at this point have a couple cups of coffee and not feel any anxiety. yay for me. have been working hard at forcing my will power to keep me from eating so much. i have gained 25 pounds in a couple months. so the extra weight and the medicine are making me so damn tired in the afternoon

• 3 weeks later...

I have been off the mirtazapine for one week. I did cut my pill to 3.75 for a couple weeks and then last sunday i took the last one. I know i did not follow the recommended procedure, but I am feeling fine, sleeping fine with the help of unisom. I did have a couple of restless nights, but i did sleep.

I feel like my brain is returning. Today I feel more like my old self than i have in months. Not feeling any anxiety, not feeling dull, medicated, tired, or slow.

In my most recent apt with the psych, i told her that the mirt was giving me tinnitus, making me slow and dull, making me hungry and tired all the time. so she asked me if i would be open to trying lexapro. I flatly said no. Not happy with that answer she turned to my wife and asked her how she thinks i had been doing over the past month. so she is going to leverage my wife to get me on another pill. My wife told her that i dont seem to be motivated to do anything at home. I said i just told you that the mirt makes me slow, tired and unmotivated. The doc gave up realizing that she couldn't force me to get on another pill.

I feel like my brain is back to normal mostly. I still feel some anxiety flutters in my stomach when im trying to go to sleep and my mind wont shut up.

I am going in for a sleep study this week. Probably going to be getting a cpap soon. I have snored for years and my wife says that I do stop breathing in my sleep. BTW, sleep apnea can cause depression and anxiety. how about that.

Teddyboink it's great you're feeling better and that you're sleeping without mirtazapine  :-)

However, you should be really careful about the unisom. It's Doxylamine, a first generation antihistamine, which basically acts on the same receptors like low-dose Mirtazapine (H1 Rezeptors). So some of the withdrawal symptoms could be delayed until you try to reduce or get off the unisom, I don't know, but you should know about that possibility.

Also be aware withdrawal symptoms can still appear several weeks after getting off, even more so as mirtazapine has a half life of 20 to 40 hours which means it takes about 5-10 days to get out of your system.

Maybe try to reduce the unisom slowly when you feel ready for it.

Lorazepam: took a daily dose of 1,5 mg for 2-3 months in Summer 2014 because of PTSD, adverse reaction to antibiotics, heavy muscle pain and a surgery. Tapered 4 months, which was a bit fast and very difficult, but I made it and recovered within a few weeks after the final dose. Benzo-free since February 2015.

Mirtazapine: Was put on 30 mg for "easing the Benzo-withdrawal" from November 2014 - March 2015. Bad mistake, getting off Mirtazapine seems to be even more difficult for me. Started a slow taper in April 2015.
[...] 25.10.2015 - 11.3 mg, 3.12.2015 - 8.4 mg, 5.12.2015 - 9.4 mg, 25.12.2015 - 9 mg, 27.12.2015 - 8.4 mg, 22.1.2016 - 7.5 mg
, 1.3.2016 - 6.9 mg, 15.3.2016 - 6.3 mg, 28.3.2016 - 5.9
mg [..moving on in small steps about 10 % per month....]  22.6.: 1.01 mg, 27.7.2017: 0.9 mg, 16.8.2017: 0.75 mg, 9.9.2017: 0.65 mg, 3.10.2017: 0.55 mg, 31.10.2017: 0.45 mg, 29.11.2017: 0.35 mg, 27.12.2017: 0.25 mg

My intro

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. sorry it has been so long, but i have been off it for almost 4 weeks now, and at first i had some restless nights, got rid of the unisom a couple weeks ago, using a theanine and melatonin based sleep aid.

I have had some absolutely wonderful days lately. i have felt like my old self. laughing with my wife. feeling human feelings good or bad. the anxiety is all but gone. The last couple days i have had some mild depression, but work is slow and i have too much time to think. overall i am feeling so much better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Great to hear, Teddyboink.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Congrats on getting off 15mg Mirt, Teddyboink!

I’m just starting my mind experiment with Mirt and I’m battling with myself about when I should start to taper. How long were you on 15mg? I’ve only been on 15mg for 16 days (mod note: from signature member has been on Mirt since 19 Jan 2018 starting at 7.5mg) but I worry that it’s helping to mask major Lexapro w/d. It’s no longer helping me sleep thru the night so I’m wondering if that’s a sign that Lex w/d is still lurking underneath. I was on Lex 20mg for ~10 yrs and came off it in about 6 wks because I mistakenly trusted my doctor.

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

HopefulOne1

History:

Zyprexa 5mg (21JUL18) ☹️

Mirtazapine 7.5mg (19FEB18), raised to 15mg (20MAR18)

==> taper started; 14mg (23APR18)....9.5 mg (12MAY18)...7.5 mg (02JUN18)...6 mg (23JUN18)....stopped CT (21JUL18)

- Xanax 0.5mg 4-5 days/wk for ~10 yrs; reduced to 2-3 days/wk (19JAN18)

- Lexapro 20mg for ~10 yrs; ~6wk fast taper, last pill 13MAR18

- Provigil 200mg for ~10yrs; quit ct AUG 2017

- ~10 yrs of Prozac, Zoloft & Wellbutrin (not at same time) prior to Lexapro but don’t remember lengths of time or doses.

- Supplements: morning - kelp (iodine), VitD / evening - fish oil, mag gly, fiber 

I was originally put on the mirtazapine because of the w/d from latuda. it was so horrible that i went to the ER and was put on klonopin. I was still having some issues so i went to the VA psych ward and was inpatient for 4 days where the doc there put me on mirtazapine. Under my regular quacks care last year, i went from moderately depressed to trying 6 different meds to having to stay in the $%^& va psych ward. Im still not back to normal. the last couple days i have had some depression.

The quack's name is tatineni, of course he is an indian guy. i am bitter. my current psychologist wonders why i  am having a problem letting go of these things. I told her you go through this **** and let me know how you feel about it.

I was on 15mg for about a month. i dropped down to 7.5 against the advice of this forum. it was experimental.  i figured i could go back up if i needed. i had some minor anxiety and a little sleeplessness. so i continued that rate of reduction. i can only recommend that you carefully taper off. i only started taking psych drugs last year in june and am glad now to be free of all of them.  i had taken paxil and prozac in the past but neither of those had any wd symptoms for me.

My best advice is to follow the advice of this forum using the 10% reductions. i do not advocate dropping 50% like i did. i did so because i had only been on these drugs a short time.

Take care of yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't sleep last night. Anxiety, adrenal rushes, mind wouldn't turn off. I dont know if I am just not over the Latuda that i have been off for 5 months, or if it is some withdrawal from the mirtazapine. Hope i can sleep tonight. I really dont want to start taking pills again.

i slept ok monday night, tuesday night i had a sleep study hooked up to a cpap machine, so not really that good there, wednesday night was decent sleep, then last night was bad, same as sunday night, adrenal rushes, tossing and turning. its not nearly as bad as when i first stopped taking latuda, and i feel ok during the day except for some depression.  i am assuming that my brain is trying to find normal. trying to figure out how to regulate adrenalin without a drug. hope it doesnt last too long.

I started taking Prozac 10mg wednesday night, hope it helps. i really didnt want more pills but i gotta make it through this crap for my wife. i need to be alright for her one of these days. my addictions and depression have taken more of a toll on her than me i think. I will never be able to tell her how sorry i am. she wont believe me now. so i have to keep going for her.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you still on Klonopin .5 mg?

Are you still on Mirtzapine 7.5mg?  

Are you now on Prozac 10mg?

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Heya teddyboink, it’s OK to need to step back and reinstate Prozac if things aren’t going well and you were hit by delayed w/d. You did drop off Mirt very fast. How long were you off Mirt before you reinstated Prozac? I’m no expert and still trying to figure things out but I suspect that Mirt probably did help mask w/d that you would have experienced from quitting latuda. Then when you rapidly stopped Mirt, w/d finally came through.

That’s the only worry that held me back from tapering Mirt ASAP, because all the stories suggest that I should have been hit with some bad w/d from tapering 20mg Lexapro in ~6 wks after being on it for 10 yrs, but nothing too terrible (at least once I started Mirt.. the first drop, without Mirt, was severe torture). Sleep issues was my major problem but seemed to stabilize over the last week so I’m already getting anxious about starting to taper. That’s the deceiving piece of all this too, because you start to feel better and then get over confident, then you drop too much or too fast, and then WHAM! ..full blown w/d, without notice and then it takes more time to have to stop, step back, and do it slow. That’s the reoccurring lesson I keep reading about. Yet I still find myself debating about pushing the limits, trying to taper faster than 10%, etc, so I can relate.

Are you intending to stay on Prozac? Did you start Prozac again because of sleep problems or other issues too? You mention depression, which is why I ask. It’s probably too early for Prozac to have an effect but are you feeling better?

HopefulOne1

History:

Zyprexa 5mg (21JUL18) ☹️

Mirtazapine 7.5mg (19FEB18), raised to 15mg (20MAR18)

==> taper started; 14mg (23APR18)....9.5 mg (12MAY18)...7.5 mg (02JUN18)...6 mg (23JUN18)....stopped CT (21JUL18)

- Xanax 0.5mg 4-5 days/wk for ~10 yrs; reduced to 2-3 days/wk (19JAN18)

- Lexapro 20mg for ~10 yrs; ~6wk fast taper, last pill 13MAR18

- Provigil 200mg for ~10yrs; quit ct AUG 2017

- ~10 yrs of Prozac, Zoloft & Wellbutrin (not at same time) prior to Lexapro but don’t remember lengths of time or doses.

- Supplements: morning - kelp (iodine), VitD / evening - fish oil, mag gly, fiber 

Prozac has worked for my depression in the past, and i found it easy to stop using. I do not intend on staying on Prozac, but i need some help right now. I did not want to go back on mirtazapine because i just makes me so tired all the time, although i know it would help my sleep issues fairly quickly. i was off the Mirtazapine for about 5 weeks before i started getting some bad depression and restless nights.

Gridley:  I stopped the klonopin back in december at the va psych ward when they put me on the Mirt.  And I have been off the Mirt for 6 weeks now.

Sleep...last night i slept, not well but i did sleep. I took 2000 mg of magnesium at dinner time and 400 mg of l-theanine as well.  I woke up about 2:30, but was able to go back to sleep within a half hour.

I know that is a lot of magnesium, and it did give me bad diarrhea this morning, but it seems to help.

My anxiety is up today, around a 4, and the biggest reason is that is that I did some things that really made my wife mad, so right now i dont have much support. But i cant blame her, since i have let her down time and time again.

One of these days maybe i will feel ok again. But through the rough patch, I have to try to make things right with my wife. I am so afraid of losing her.