teddyboink: Mirtazapine taper

teddyboink

• Moderator Emeritus

Could you please update your signature to show that you've been off the Mirt since six weeks ago and are no longer on Klonopin?  Thanks.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

http://cannyhighlandlass.blogspot.com/2013/04/mirtazapine-withdrawal_16.html

i just read that and am now wondering how the hell am i going to get through 4 more months of withdrawal. I thought that if i could just sleep i could get through it. well hopefully the prozac helps.

Prozac 20mg-40mg, on and off 2009 - 2014, paxil on and off 2014 - 2016 (not sure of month). and then we go into 2017, which i dont remember dosages and dates but my pdoc had me switching meds and doses almost every 2 weeks for about 3 months. . rexulti early june 2017 for about 2 weeks, then my quack had me double the dose. then vraylar initial dose then doubled after a couple weeks, vyvance, trintellix, and then we got to early september 2017 with Latuda 20mg, and in mid september bumped to 40mg for about 2 weeks, was also taking trazodone 100mg at the time. hated the side effects and was doing TMS, so doc had me drop to 20mg *PANIC ATTACK* around the first of november. Dropped to 10mg for a few days and then doc told me to stop. I quit smoking at this time, was ok for a 3 days and then anxiety and no sleep for days after, ER visit, gave me klonopin .5mg. 14 december found me at the VA Psych ward. 15 dec, was put on Mirtazapine 15mg/ off the klonopin. Jan 20, 2018, Mitrazapine 7.5 mg. somewhere around mid feb i cut down to 3.75(quarter of a 15mg pill). mid march i discontinued using Mirtazapine. 18 april 2018 started 10mg prozac.

I keep telling myself to stop reading stories about other people’s experiences and you’ll probably want to do the same. You’ll probably find that Prozac helps keep w/d away but then you’ll need to come off that. It’s supposed to be one of the easier ssri’s to taper from cuz of the long half life. I’ll be interested to know if Prozac does help, especially with your sleep. I’m tired all day long from this stuff and then I still can’t sleep through the night... so frustrating. How’s your sleep been so far? Any other issues? Hang in there!

HopefulOne1

History:

Zyprexa 5mg (21JUL18) ☹️

Mirtazapine 7.5mg (19FEB18), raised to 15mg (20MAR18)

==> taper started; 14mg (23APR18)....9.5 mg (12MAY18)...7.5 mg (02JUN18)...6 mg (23JUN18)....stopped CT (21JUL18)

- Xanax 0.5mg 4-5 days/wk for ~10 yrs; reduced to 2-3 days/wk (19JAN18)

- Lexapro 20mg for ~10 yrs; ~6wk fast taper, last pill 13MAR18

- Provigil 200mg for ~10yrs; quit ct AUG 2017

- ~10 yrs of Prozac, Zoloft & Wellbutrin (not at same time) prior to Lexapro but don’t remember lengths of time or doses.

- Supplements: morning - kelp (iodine), VitD / evening - fish oil, mag gly, fiber 

• 3 weeks later...

When is my depression going to get better. It has been just awful lately. Gonna have to get my prozac bumped up. I was hoping to just use a low dose (10mg) until i stabilized off the mirtazapine. But its not just the meds. things are not going so well at home.

Prozac 20mg-40mg, on and off 2009 - 2014, paxil on and off 2014 - 2016 (not sure of month). and then we go into 2017, which i dont remember dosages and dates but my pdoc had me switching meds and doses almost every 2 weeks for about 3 months. . rexulti early june 2017 for about 2 weeks, then my quack had me double the dose. then vraylar initial dose then doubled after a couple weeks, vyvance, trintellix, and then we got to early september 2017 with Latuda 20mg, and in mid september bumped to 40mg for about 2 weeks, was also taking trazodone 100mg at the time. hated the side effects and was doing TMS, so doc had me drop to 20mg *PANIC ATTACK* around the first of november. Dropped to 10mg for a few days and then doc told me to stop. I quit smoking at this time, was ok for a 3 days and then anxiety and no sleep for days after, ER visit, gave me klonopin .5mg. 14 december found me at the VA Psych ward. 15 dec, was put on Mirtazapine 15mg/ off the klonopin. Jan 20, 2018, Mitrazapine 7.5 mg. somewhere around mid feb i cut down to 3.75(quarter of a 15mg pill). mid march i discontinued using Mirtazapine. 18 april 2018 started 10mg prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, teddyboink said:

When is my depression going to get better. It has been just awful lately. Gonna have to get my prozac bumped up. I was hoping to just use a low dose (10mg) until i stabilized off the mirtazapine. But its not just the meds. things are not going so well at home.

Hi Teddy,

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. 

It is your choice, of course, but if the goal is to come off psych drugs, it's important to learn to deal with difficult emotions and other withdrawal symptoms without increasing dosages. 

Here are Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern -- you might find certain times of day are better or worse, and it can be really helpful information.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

yep, mornings are worse.

months ago when i complained about not being able to sleep because of the anxiety associated with withdrawal, my pdoc suggested a sleep study for sleep apnea, and a hearing test for the tinnitus caused by the mirtazapine. why are they so clueless?

so i did the sleep study, and have been using a cpap for the past 2 days. horrible sleep. keep waking up to the mask leaking, so i have to fix it. my sleep apnea is mild so i think i will just take it back. im so friggin tired, and it is not helping my depression of course. cant take a nap during the day because of the anxiety. i used to be able to take a nap whenever i wanted. not any more. i am just trying to hold it together until hopefully someday soon my brain will get back to what it was before the drug train started. I am losing hope that that will happen.

i took a fish oil cap yesterday morning. last night i woke up at 1am with anxiety. no more fish oil for a while. I need to get back to running but i work 12 hour days and its too late to work out so close to bed time. i suppose if i worked out right after work i could cool down by bedtime. maybe i will try that

i have been horrible to live with i imagine. I have been trying to be a better husband but I screw it up, my depression screws it up. I'm afraid of losing her. especially now when i need her the most.

instead of taking the cpap back, they swapped the full mask for a nasal mask. seems to work better for me. doesnt cause the anxiety/claustrophobia that i never used to get.  In the military i used to sleep wearing a gas mask, now i get anxiety from a comfortable cpap mask. wtf?

so i went up to 20mg prozac. i feel like its working fairly well. can prozac be activating? i was taking it at night and then my doc said that it doesnt make you sleepy so take it in the morning.

• Administrator

Yes, too high a dose of Prozac can be activating. You'll have to discuss this with your doctor, we don't calibrate drug dosing here except for tapering.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 months later...

Sorry I haven't been on here to post an update in a while. Things have been good for the past few months.I am pretty much over all of the withdrawal. The one thing that remains is the tinnitus that the Mirtazapine caused.