Kev93: 3 months off Sertraline

Kev93

Yes, 

For 3 years  I was fine, and mild wds appeared after that time. 

Luckily, I didn't start again the drug, and gradually they were improved and vanished! 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kev93

• Rosetta

• nz11

• Downbutnotout

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know how to reinstate Sertraline after 3 1/2 months off. I was on 50 mgs for 10 years.  What dosages and how do you make them?

Sertraline 50mg once a day

May 15 2006 until October 27th 2017

15 minutes ago, Kostas said:

Hi, 

I have reinstated full dose of citalopram 20 mg 4 times in the past, since I had to, due to deliberating wds, and thankfully it worked every time. 

Finally I was able to stop it through a very slow tapering of 6 years! 

I had minor problems starting at 3 years off, and being more difficult last year. 

Gradually all have been improved, and now for 6 months I feel fine. 

Good luck and take care. 

1 minute ago, Kostas said:

Yes, 

For 3 years  I was fine, and mild wds appeared after that time. 

Luckily, I didn't start again the drug, and gradually they were improved and vanished! 

So you just rode it out without the drugs?

Yes, that is right! 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/7/2018 at 2:12 PM, Kev93 said:

I would like to know how to reinstate Sertraline after 3 1/2 months off. I was on 50 mgs for 10 years.  What dosages and how do you make them?

Please read

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Techniques to make non-standard doses:

Using a digital scale to measure doses.

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules . + Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques].

How to cut up tablets or pills.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I haven't reinstated yet, 4 months off. Still having some good days but having a wave at the moment that has lasted the last couple days. My OCD has been going crazy and morning anxiety is horrible with little sleeping. Hopeless feeling is also back along with just feeling strange. 

I am tired of feeling like this. Hope this is just withdrawl and not relapse. I would hate to have to go back on AD's.

2 hours ago, Kev93 said:

I haven't reinstated yet, 4 months off. Still having some good days but having a wave at the moment that has lasted the last couple days. My OCD has been going crazy and morning anxiety is horrible with little sleeping. Hopeless feeling is also back along with just feeling strange. 

I am tired of feeling like this. Hope this is just withdrawl and not relapse. I would hate to have to go back on AD's.

What's your pattern of symptoms been like over the last 4 months? Improving, stable, worsening? Any changes?

You could consider low dose reinstatement if it's bad. From my experience, it's much better to be functional and on a low dose than to let your quality of life deteriorate due to WD with an unknown timeline.

• 2008: Started Citalopram 30mg
  • Sept 2014: Tapered down Citalopram over 6 months and discontinued Feb 2015
  • Severe withdrawals peaked in July/Aug 2015. Totally housebound.
  • Sept 2015: Sertraline started @ 100mg on GP advice.
  • Oct to Dec 2015: Reduced to Sertraline 50mg due to side effects. 
  • Jan 2016 to March 2017: Tapered Sertraline to 2mg @ 10% per month. 
  • Severe withdrawals peaked again June 2017. Totally housebound. 
  • Diazepam: July 2017 5mg // Aug 2017 2.5mg // Sept 2017 1mg // 12th Dec 2017 0.85mg 
  • Sertraline Reinstatement: 23 Oct 2017 5mg // 15 Nov 2017 10mg // 23 Nov 2017 15mg 
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 07/02/2018 at 5:03 AM, JamesF said:

Stopping cold turkey is super irresponsible of that Doctor. While it's been 3 months, folklore here is that the brain can only adapt at 10%~ a month, so that's not a huge drop from your old dosage. Your brain may be "expecting" something  around 70% of the prior  dose. But obviously it's not an exact science, nobody can measure it.

It is not folklore.  SA's protocol is a harm reduction method.  This protocol has been decided on after much reading of research materials, I assume there has also been consultation with other people in the field and there has definitely been observations made of tapering members on this site and on a previous (no defunct) site.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 2/18/2018 at 11:49 PM, JamesF said:

What's your pattern of symptoms been like over the last 4 months? Improving, stable, worsening? Any changes?

You could consider low dose reinstatement if it's bad. From my experience, it's much better to be functional and on a low dose than to let your quality of life deteriorate due to WD with an unknown timeline.

I would say that there are definitely some improvements. Windows are getting more frequent. Although, this morning i had a panic attack that was pretty severe and have felt "not right" all day.

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that I feel more normal now but I have contamination OCD symptoms like crazy. I have never had them before. Could this still be withdrawl??

• Moderator Emeritus

The fact that you are experiencing improvements points to withdrawal, not relapse.  See:

This post and Is it withdrawal or relapse?

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

These up and down feelings are wearing me out. It seems I am having patterns of thoughts and symptoms that repeat themselves. Very strange.

Ok it's now been 5 months since I quit cold turkey.I have a new symptom . I have my sex drive back but it's way to high now. Having sexual dreams and constantly thinking about it to the point it's making me upset. Is this a symptom of withdrawl? 

Still having contamination OCD symptoms .

Hi kev my guess is yes its part of withdrawl ,if you didn't have access to feelings before hand and the drug looses its power, these feeling would come back with a bang ,you need to be mindfull of these emotions over powering you like any other strong feelings and if your a drinker I suggest you stay away from it because you don't want to loose control all together and get yourself in tricky situations .

Take care .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the increased sex drive has fallen  back to normal. Now, all I have is crazy contamination OCD. Washing my hands and worrying all the time. And then there is the religious OCD. I swear I am about to go out of my mind. I just keep thinking it's only withdrawal and I can tough it out. But, what if it's not withdrawal.....   

• Moderator Emeritus

After a CT, your nervous system is likely to be producing numerous strange symptoms as it struggles to right itself.  This link might be helpful.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now at 6 months off Setraline. Feel normal physically but still having OCD fear of contamination to point of washing clothes everyday.I had OCD before stopping drug but never about contamination. Maybe, it is relapse and has just shifted from harm to contamination OCD.

Having hard time feeling happy about anything. Just not myself. I have thought many times about starting another anti depressant.  Feel so alone. 

Please don't.  I'm afraid it will make WD worse.  I was on sertraline, too.  I strongly believe I will get better only if I avoid the drugs that affect my brain.  -- Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

What concerns me is that I had Ocd before the sertraline. So that is what makes me think this could be relapse.i have read that relapse rates of Ocd are very high when medication is stopped.

Kev, 

Maybe you believe these drugs work for their intended purpose.  I believe that when they work it's an accident that they "work."  Moreover, the patient believes they work because the patient no longer sees reality.  So, "relapse" is a misleading term.  

However, even if one believes the drugs work, there is unmistakably a strong chance that there will be negative effects when the drugs are stopped.  For example, I had a normal, healthy and useful desire for order and cleanliness prior to taking Celexa.  I was a good organizer, and I didn't obsess about it, but after Celexa was switched to Zoloft, I had many different manifestations of OCD.  Many, and they became very disruptive to my life.  I don't think these were side effects of Zoloft which supposedly treats OCD!!  They were WD symptoms.  I still have some of them, but many have gone away -- I developed a very intense hoarding disorder.  Now, 15 months after quitting Zoloft I'm becoming the anti-hoarder.  If not for the debilitating anxiety and lethargy I have due to WD, I think I would have tossed out most of the stuff I have collected.  My obsessions about cleanliness have receded, too.

The research never shows the results of letting people heal with no drugs.  Of course, the reports will say that OCD gets worse after medication is stopped.  It seems that we have symptoms in WD that are common trouble spots for us in regular life.  Not always, but sometimes.  Then, more drugs are given.

You are suffering, I know.  I'm sorry for that.  I hope it ends soon.  I do not believe that adding more drugs will have a neutral or positive effect.  One never knows.  At the very least you would want the same drug and very, very small amount to start.  It might help at least to some extent.  There is much hope for you if you can be careful and gentle with your nervous system.  Good luck.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Thanks Rosetta,

I do not really want to start taking meds again. I think I just feel like there's no other option when it all comes down on me.

You and others on here do give me hope. I just keep going back to thinking I did feel better when I was on the meds but I also remember there were some odd effects of being on it.

I bought and traded in 3 brand new motorcycles in one summer because I would find some insignificant flaw on them. I look back now and I was out of control. And lost lots of $. I would have never done that before or now I'm off of it.

Was only happy when buy in things. Isn't that odd?

Sounds a lot like what happened with me.  It's a dopamine issue, I think.  It's so similar to illicit drug addiction or gambling in some ways.  Paradoxical effect perhaps.  It may have been paradoxical for different reasons for me than for you possibly.  I don't want to go back to being that way.  I'm noticing that I'm not as dissatisfied with various things as I used to be.  I'm not as irritated or annoyed as I used to be.  Sure, there are some emotions now that I don't like at all!  But it's all changing, and I think that's positive.  Please do take hope from the people here who have recovered.  

I'm very angry that a supposedly "safe" pharmaceutical did this and that the doctors were too ignorant to have spared me so many years of anxiety from the Zoloft use.  I try to focus on the improvements and the future.  I'm very relieved that this "damage" can be fixed by my own body.  We are lucky that's the case.

I understand how completely frustrating and distressing this experience is for you.   I'm 9 months ahead of you.  It really will get better.  I think my experience has been very up and down because I'm female.  I hope yours isn't that way.  

Take care, R

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Anyone have contamination Ocd appear from WD? I also has bouts of paranoia and guilt. 

Hi Kev - I have been experiencing some paranoia as well as guilt.  I will have random thoughts pop up about people from my past whom I worry I mistreated in someway and feel guilty about.  It can be quite uncomfortable.  I try to acknowledge the thought and label it as a "withdrawal thought" and let it go as best I can.  You are not alone in how you are feeling.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

Did anybody experience OCD style WD symptoms after quitting meds but had  OCD before starting meds?  

52 minutes ago, Kev93 said:

How long have you been in WD?

Well, I've had a long journey and have been in withdrawal several times, unfortunately.  This last go around started in July 2017.  

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg

Two days ago the morning anxiety started again. But It seems to dissapate fairly quickly.

Haven't had that for months. The only constant things in my life at the moment is contamination Ocd originating from an incident at my job and extreme anger outbursts.

It is almost at a debilitating level where I have considered leaving my job. I am just hoping it's still withdrawal and the symptoms will improve.

Yes, it's withdrawal.  Don't leave your job.  That would only compound your problems.  

Are you sleeping ok?  How many hours do you sleep?  Do you keep a regular sleep schedule?  

Do do you use caffeine?

Have you thought about trying magnesium?

Do you eat regularly and get enough protein?

I'm trying to pay attention to my protein intake and eat often.  It might take 6 times a day to keep my blood sugar stable.

Ive been in WD for a long, long time, but the worst began after I quit Zoloft/sertraline in Feb of 2017.  I'm definitely still in WD, and most of my symptoms are mental -- anxiety, deep sadness/despair, and fatigue.  I believe your OCD and anger are WD symptoms.  I hope you can control them better with sleep, diet, magnesium (and maybe fish oil) and avoiding caffeine.  It will get better, but I completely understand how frustrating and scary it is to have trouble controlling one's emotions!  

You are going to heal, and it may take another year or so, but you will get there.  It's very promising that you don't have any physical symptoms, Kev, very promising.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

I sleep around 6 hrs a night. Pretty regular sleep pattern.I do drink coffee and some soda daily.

My diet is not perfect, too many sweets. Try to eat protein . Never thought about magnesium. 

What I find interesting about this whole situation are that my symptoms are like a wheel, they will change every so often to something else then after awhile  to something else and so on and then it'll start the whole cycle over.

Rosetta, thank you so much for the kind words.

No problem.  Yes, this is the most bizarre illness.  The brain is trying to compensate for every change it makes, but it can't.  It seems that each person has 2 or 3 symptoms that come up over and over again.  They are not the same for everyone.  Anxiety is extremely common, but OCD is frequent.  Some people have mostly physical symptoms, and others mostly mental, but most people have a combination.  It's tough to get through this, but you will.  My OCD symptoms are so faint now.  They were very bad when I was still on the Zoloft because my body needed Celexa instead.

Take care, Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

Probably.  I don't know for sure, but if I did it was caused by situation issues.  I have always been "particular" about many things.  It was an asset in many ways, but after I started taking Celexa it got worse and worse. After the switch of meds it got much worse, and it affected many different aspects that had never been affected before.  After I quit Zoloft it got worse and then better.  Now, it's a problem in waves, but to a much lesser degree.  

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

It's crazy that these meds can increase Ocd. I can only dream of the day I feel normal again.