neroli

BIG news

neroli

From Laura Delano's Inner Compass website:

BIG news.

Our friends at the Council for Evidence-Based Psychiatry (UK) (CEPUK) have announced some big news that we're eager to be sharing with the ICI and TWP community:

Public Health England has launched an official investigation that will look into prescribed drug dependence and withdrawal, focusing on antidepressants, benzodiazepines, Z-drugs (i.e. "sleep aids"), GABAergic drugs, and opioids.

It's very significant that an official government public health authority has named psychiatric drug dependence as both a real *and* serious public health matter requiring investigation and solutions.

Keep reading to learn more-- and please help to spread the word!  See more at the link below

nz11

Thanks for posting Neroli.

Heres hoping this will be something

Sounds promising.

nz11

Spread the word about this newly launched Public Health England investigation through your networks. Here are a few articles that you can share:

neroli

I just sent the link to my GP - nettle grasped!

neroli

and thanks for providing more links, nz11

nz11

I just found them in the article.

I'm thinking of doing the same...anonymously

neroli

nz11 - I just sent an email to the Minister of Health about the distressing situation of people who are trying to withdraw from prescription meds. and/or have had serious issues - bringing it to his attention in light of the Government's review of the Mental Health service.

nz11

Great.

Thanks for doing that.

let us know what they say

caperjackie

Saw this during the week ....... it brought me to tears .......... have always thought that I would never live long enough to see the day that all of us would be 'vindicated' .......... now I have hope that I will!

PSVT

We just have to get the ignorant medical communities down under (I.e Australia and New Zealand) and elsewhere across the globe to take note of what is going on in other parts of the world.

my GP has her head so far up where the sun don't shine it's gonna be a hard task to get her to admit she may have been "wrong"...........

neroli

caperjackie, PSVT thanks for your posts. I have hopes - for vindication for us who have suffered so dreadfully and for the future generations - surely this will bring out some of the truth - move us further along in medical knowledge and admission of the harms that can be done by these meds.  I'd liken it to the significant move from the idea that all ills were linked to the four humours, a creation by Hippocrates that became a medical theory.  Ok, so that may be over-egging the pudding but certainly on the level of the revelations of Thalidomide.

I have hopes because the co-founder of the Council for Evidence Based Psychiatry is Luke Montagu, who has the title Viscount Hinchingbrooke.  His father is the Earl of Sandwich, a member of the House Of Lords.  I'm an expat Brit and while I don't have a great handle on the power structures in England, this seems like a pretty hefty  pedigree in the power stakes to me.  CEPUK will provide the Secretariat for the APPG review. You can see the membership of CEPUK here: http://cepuk.org/members/

You can see Luke Montagu's story here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4173468/My-GP-gave-antidepressants-didn-t-need-20-years.html.

Still, the cynical/realistic side of me has been hearing strange twanging noises since I read the announcement of the APPG review - which I realise now is the sound of corporate muscle being flexed around the world.  So we'll see.  I also hope they don't get hung up on the opioids to the detriment of SSRIs etc.

As for the professionals who are supposed to be there for our care and who deny any harms caused by these drugs, I wonder if they are in caught in system where they can't admit culpability of the medications because of the fall-out from it.  Or they are ignorant/arrogant.  (I still find it amazing that any thinking professional is not aware of the credible evidence from authoritative sources, easily available on the internet, of iatrogenic harms caused by these meds.).

So, as I've mentioned I've sent links to the APPG review to my GP, and included it in an email to our Minister of Health as the Government here embarks on a review of  Mental Health care.

Meanwhile, it's fora like this that keep me sane in the face of the professionals who deny my condition could be due to the drugs and the prescribing protocols (if you see my intro story you'll see I was brought to my knees in 2014 after six months of being tried on 4 different A-Ds and have never been right since). This is my Intro. - its not the title I originally wrote it under but because I made a mess of posting on this site when I first came on, this is the title I've been left with - http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16833-neroli-is-this-benzo-withdrawal-or-other-drugs-interacting/

All best wishes to all of you as you make your way through a-d, anti-psych, benzo etc. side effects and withdrawals

Neroli

samanthaelizabeth

Why is there not anything like this in the U.S?!!!

neroli
29 minutes ago, samanthaelizabeth said:

Why is there not anything like this in the U.S?!!!

Good question, samanthaelizabeth!

Don't know if there is anything of use to you at the site I'm putting a link to but it's founded by Laura Delano (US-based) who is an activist in this area - maybe there could be some action they are planning (I don't know, I haven't read the site closely) the FB link is:

On 1/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, neroli said: