what to do for self care?

swordiebrom

as title stated, anyone has a set of exercise regime to follow or diet to follow? what should i eat or work out etc? please advise for the road of recovery

risperidone 5mg on 17 december 2017

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

fluoxetine 20mg started 15/12/2017,stopped 15/1/2018

1/1/2019 80 mg lurasidone

2/1/2019 40 mg lurasidone

3/1/2019 stopped

29/5/2019 20 mg lurasidone 

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

Hey @swordiebrom,

I have quite a bit of experience and training in modalities that support self care.

I think the first thing to remember is that everybody is unique and self-care isn't really a one size fits all approach. I'll give you some ideas though, that really helped me.

For me, I view self care as activities that bring me from a fight or flight response into a rest and digest response. Soothing shredded nerves and giving me a little bit more capacity to approach life with a level head.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that self care isn't another project to embark on. It's easy to beat yourself up for skimping on self care or making bad choices. The whole approach is one of compassion, patience and gentleness :)

For diet, I'd recommend looking here - https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/assigning-inflammation-scores-foods/

This is where I get all of my food advice. It's quite hard to eat well when you're stressed though, so I wouldn't be too worried if I slipped up.

I think following interest and curiosity is the best approach to finding self care that works for you. There are many parallels between PTSD recovery and recovering from anti depressants. Both involve a HIGHLY shredded nervous system and caring for both can be quite similar.

Here are just a few suggestions:

- Exercise (anything not too strenuous, I do a 15 minute HIT body weight circuit that you can find on YouTube by a channel called Fitness Blender).

- Hot baths or sauna. Don't do too much, but I find heat and water really soothing for my nervous system.

- Mindfulness. This is an essential practice for self care. https://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness.

- Self soothing / self touch. There are different places you can touch that are really soothing. http://www.new-synapse.com/aps/wordpress/?p=234.

- Adaptogen supplementation. https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/supplements-podcasts/the-zen-of-chinese-adaptogenic-herbs-an-interview-with-the-inventor-of-worlds-most-potent-adaptogens/.

-

Let me know what you think, I'd love to support you here in any way possible :)

Taper commencing 14/06/18:

• Going down by 2.5mg per month from 35mg - once 2.5mg is bigger than the recommended 10%, I'll switch to a water solution. 
  • Planning to taper until October and then hold until 2019 - balancing study, work, life and holiday season.

Medication / withdrawal history:

• Tapered July 2016 to October 2016, unsuccessful and reinstated to 30mg (didn't track specifics)
  • Tapered March 2017 to August 2017, was unsuccessful and reinstated to 35mg (didn't track specifics).
  • Current taper - started 1st January 2018 @ 32.5mg and 2.5mg per month until I reach a dose where 2.5 is > 10% of dose.

Morning supplements:

B complex, Niagen, COQ10, Black seed oil, Vitamin C, Zinc, Fish Oil, EGCG, Bosweilla Extract, Curcumin (Longvida), Vitamin D, R-ALA, NAC, Ashwagandha (occasionally), Epimedium / Icariin, Resveratol.

Evening supplements:

NatureCalm Magnesium, Glycine, Ashwagandha, Reishi, Schisandra, Melatonin.

I also take Phenibut (maximum 3 times weekly at a dose that doesn't build tolerance) and Oleamide when required.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy