tacomaprime: 40 years old, scared as heck

tacomaprime

Been on venlafaxine XR for 7 or 8 years.   My ex wife recommended I get on it to control some minor anxiety and to help me control my temper.  It worked wonders for her, so why not me too. I went to my PCP and asked him if it would help, he said yes and prescribed 75mg.   About 1 or 2 years ago I went from 75mg to 37.5 mg.  Didn't have to taper or anything and had no withdrawal symptoms.

I am in a point in my life where I now believe I no longer need this medication.  My PCP said I could just stop taking it since I was on the lowest dose.  Well, I knew that wasn't going to work since I had 1 week a while ago where I didn't take it, basically because I just forgot to, and had HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms.  So I started going what I do best, googling, and I found this site.

So I decided to figure out a way to wean off of it slowly and keep my dr in the loop, just in case. Originally I emptied the beads out of 7 capsules, 1 at a time and counted them. They were between 93 and 106 beads in each capsule. So I decided to drop down to 90 beads for 3 weeks. Then I would try reducing by 5 beads per pill for a bit and if I handle that well, then I could try 10. Once I got down to 20 beads or so, I figured I'd just start removing 1 or 2 beads since the percentage of beads is much higher with that low of a total. But then yesterday I came across this. http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12797-effexor-capsules-vary-in-bead-count-and-weight/ and this http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1596-using-a-digital-scale-to-measure-doses/

Is this microtapering only for people who are super sensitive to drops?

More importantly am I ******* up my brain by doing a certain number of beads rather then by weight? Since apparently 90 beads can be a different mg dosage of drug in each capsule since the pills are filled by weight and not number of beads. If I need to weigh every capsule, I'm fine with that, as I'll do whatever it take to get off this drug. Thanks.

Edited by Altostrata
added paragraph spacing

Atorvastatin - 40mg   Been on 3 years

Glyxambi - (empagliflozin and linagliptin are the 2 drugs in it)  Been on 3 years

venlafaxine XR - Started about 8 years ago at 75mg, went down to 37.5mg about 4 years ago.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to tacomaprime: 40 years old, scared as heck

I bought a scale on amazon, the one most people on here seem to use and decided to do it right and slowly taper using the 10% method.  Wish me luck!

Glyxambi - (empagliflozin and linagliptin are the 2 drugs in it)  Been on 3 years

venlafaxine XR - Started about 8 years ago at 75mg, went down to 37.5mg about 4 years ago.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

Welcome, tacomaprime.

Your reasoning is excellent. You want to maintain a very gradual rate of taper as you get to lower dosages.

No, anyone can taper by reducing one bead in a round, not just the extremely sensitive. You can do that if prefer.

Weighing the beads will enable you to maintain a 10% taper, based on the last dosage, which will be faster than removing one bead at a time.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have GERD and my gastro dr recently put me on a month of a PPI .  I don't know that I'll be on it long as I've already started having watery diarrhea. (sorry if this is TMI)

My question is since PPI's basically shut down all your stomach acid producing cells, will I have issues with absorption?  Tonight I thought I found one of the beads in my stool.  But I couldn't really tell 100%.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• 2 months later...

So I decided to stay on Effexor XR as my anxiety was coming back and the withdrawal symptoms were just too much for me to handle.

I had weighed out my dosages and was down to taking the 72.9% of a full 37.5 mg Dosage

I had kept the remaining 27.1% pills in a ziploc bag.

So when I decided to go back to regular doses I figured I could just take a random 27.1% remainder pill and combine it with a 72.9% pill.  When I did my math, my math indicated doing that, each pill would be within .4% of each other.  

So I've been taking those for 2 days, and have some light headedness, and a slight headache.  I had already measure out my next dropped dosage (65.1% with 34.9% remainders).  I combined random remainders with random originals for that drop too, so I won't go back to regular unaltered pills for about 5 weeks unless I can get my dr to prescribe me 1 month of pills.

Am I messing myself up?  Should I try to get a 1 month script so the pills are supposedly all full strength.

I'll show my math when I get home, as its on my home laptop.  But from what I could tell, my combining random remainder pills in a dosage drop shouldn't be off much, whether I added the lowest remainder or the highest.

Hopefully I'm not confusing anyone.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

Is it ok to go back to 37.5mg of effexor if I was only 1/4 of the way through my slow taper (down to 72.9% of original dosage)

I also started a separate thread about it here.....    

Thanks.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

Here's my math.  Let me know if you have questions about it.  I'd like to know what I should do asap.

72.9% 37.5mg dosage.xlsx

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

Hi, tacomaprime. I combined your recent topics as your question cannot be answered without understanding the context.

Are you reducing by removing one bead at a time?  How often are you doing this?

Even so, you are getting withdrawal symptoms. If I were you, I would stop tapering at this point and hold at your current dosage for more than a month.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, tacomaprime. I combined your recent topics as your question cannot be answered without understanding the context.

Are you reducing by removing one bead at a time?  How often are you doing this?

Even so, you are getting withdrawal symptoms. If I were you, I would stop tapering at this point and hold at your current dosage for more than a month.

OK.
I was tapering by weighing everything, and doing the 10% taper.  But once I got down to the 72.9%, per the spreadsheet, my withdrawal symptoms AND my anxiety came back.  So I have decided to stay on effexor.  I just wanted to know if it was ok to go back to full strength (37.5mg) immediately, since I was only down to about 27.5 MG.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

My main concern was if it was ok to put the random remainder pills back into the random 72.9% pills.  Even though I went through and figured out the worst it would be off is .4%

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How long since you began tapering from 37.5mg?  (I see that you've been at 27.5 for three days--but when did you start the taper from 37.5mg?)That will have bearing on whether you can reinstate all the way back up to 37.5.  Depending on how long you've been tapering from 37.5, you brain will have already made some adjustments to the lower dosage. If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.

We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when updosing it is better to start with a small amount and increase of symptoms remain unbearable.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I've been tapering since january.  I was doing 4 weeks at each down dose.  I've been on the 72.9% for 3 weeks.  This week would have been the final week at 72.9%  Next week would have started the 65% down dosage.

Seems to me that me updosing back up to 37.5mg from 27.5 m g shouldn't be a huge deal since when I first started taking the drug, I didn't updose, just started taking 37.5 mg

Not trying to say anyone on here is wrong, just throwing out what's going on in my head.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

Emergence of withdrawal symptoms indicates your system needs a break from tapering. If you're at 72.9% (don't know exactly what dosage that is), how about updosing a few beads and holding for 2 or 3 months? You don't have to go all the way back to your original dosage.

If the loose beads aren't too old, you can use them.

1 hour ago, Gridley said:

How long since you began tapering from 37.5mg?  (I see that you've been at 27.5 for three days--but when did you start the taper from 37.5mg?)That will have bearing on whether you can reinstate all the way back up to 37.5.  Depending on how long you've been tapering from 37.5, you brain will have already made some adjustments to the lower dosage. If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.

We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and when updosing it is better to start with a small amount and increase of symptoms remain unbearable.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

What do you mean by it can cause me to become unstable?  Can my brain not adjust eventually to the 37.5mg dosage ?  I always assumed that if I went back to the 37.5 mg for a long period of time my light headedness and headache would go away after my brain became use to the drug again.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately, no one knows how the brain will react to an updose that is too high.  We really are in unknown territory here.  Yes, it possible that your brain can gradually adjust.  There is just no data on this. That's why it is safer to go up a little at a time, then see how that works, 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 months later...

I had been tapering off 37.5mg of effexor XR for about 3 months.  I was using the 10% method, and was down to about 72.9 percent when I got horrible withdrawal symptoms and I ended up reinstating back to my original 37.5.  I didn't think it would be that bad.  For the first week or so, I had headaches and nausea dizziness.  The nausea and dizziness are basically gone, but the headaches still remain.  I can  take 6 ibuprofen a day and that mostly keeps them at bat.  I assume though that it will take me many months to completely stabilize and get rid of the headaches?  This is my first time ever trying to taper, and then reinstating.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

Please put your updates and questions about your taper in this topic rather than more general discussion topics.

It's too bad you went all the way back to 37.5mg. If you had updosed just a little bit as suggested above, you might not have experienced this destabilization.

What times of day do you get the headaches and other symptoms? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Please put your updates and questions about your taper in this topic rather than more general discussion topics.

It's too bad you went all the way back to 37.5mg. If you had updosed just a little bit as suggested above, you might not have experienced this destabilization.

What times of day do you get the headaches and other symptoms? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

I didn't realize I should slowly taper back up when I did.  So now I am stuck with my choice, at least I think.

It's only been about a month since I went back up to 37.5mg.  I am just concerned that the headaches will never go away.  I assume after 6 months or so, I should feel better, after reading the updosing and stabilizing thread.

The headaches usually start about 30 to 60 minutes after I wake up (I wake up at 620am).  I take 3 ibuprofen, then they come back sometime in the late afternoon or evening.  I take lipitor and glyxambi (diabetes med) around 830.

I figured since I already updosed back up to my regular strength, I should stay on that for 6 months or so, and hopefully I will then stabilize again.  This is my first time tapering and then reupdosing, so I can't imagine I've done any real damage.

Any reassurances from anyone that my headaches will go away would be awesome, as well as any advice anyone has.  I know I should have checked here first, but I was desperate to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms, I panicked.

I am guessing that going back to a lower dose is not recommended now at all until I stabilize on the 37.5mg again for quite some time?

Thanks.

Edited by tacomaprime
words

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

When do you take your drugs? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

It could be the 37.5mg Effexor is too high for you and causing headaches.

Please list all your drugs in your signature, and when you started them.

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

16 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

When do you take your drugs? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

It could be the 37.5mg Effexor is too high for you and causing headaches.

Please list all your drugs in your signature, and when you started them.

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

I take my atorvistatin and glyxambi in the morning with breakfast.  I take my venlafaxine at lunch.  I didn't have ANY side effects from any of them, until I got down to my 72.9% taper.  Then when I went back up to my 37.5mg I started having the headaches.  They did go away for almost a week at one point, but then came back.  I had been on the 37.5mg for 4 years before starting my taper.

Capture.JPG

Wellbutrin - 150mg

I assume at this point, since I've been back at full strength (37.5mg) for about 6 weeks, that I shouldn't go back to the 72.9% (27.33mg)  that I got down to during my taper? 

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

We need to see your symptom pattern before suggesting anything. Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

24 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

We need to see your symptom pattern before suggesting anything. Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

I posted my dosages in my signature and when I take my drugs in an above post.  

The only symptom I have is a headache.  Mainly in my temples.  Sometimes also at the back of my head or in my eyes.  I can take ibuprofen to keep them at bay, but as it wears off the headache comes back.  The headache doesn't completely go away when I take ibuprofen but it definitely helps.  When I am asleep, the headaches pretty much are non existant.  About an hour after I wake up, they start up again.  This is before I've taken any of my meds for the day.

When I take my drugs and their dosages doesn't change.  I take the same dosage and take them the same time every day.

Not sure what putting all that on paper would do.  

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

I need to see the times of day you have these symptoms, along with your drug schedule. Please post as a simple list, with time of day on the left and notation on the right.

This will help determine where symptoms are coming from. For example: https://www.drugs.com/sfx/glyxambi-side-effects.html

Please show consideration for my time and do not make me request this again. I need this information before making any suggestions.

How long should I keep track of it before I post the information, or should I just make a daily post?

Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as  rude.  I apologize.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator

A daily post is fine. Thank you.

Today I woke up at 9am with a headache, in my temples and base of my skull in the back of my head.

Went back to sleep until 11am.  Woke up, ate breakfast, took my glyxambi, atorvastatin, and effexor.  I also took 3 ibuprofen, 200mg each.

Still had a headache most of the day.

I also took my blood pressure this evening and it's high.  150/100 the first time I took it.  I'm wondering if that it contributing to my headache.  I'm going to make a dr appointment for that on monday.

second and third time I took my blood pressure was 136/90, 149/95 resepectively.   

This evening with dinner I took 2 excedrin migraine, and that seems to have helped the headache more then the ibuprofen.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

Do you think it's possible I have serotonin syndrome?  I don't know really anything about it, just something I've seen online when googling things I probably shouldn't regarding my symptoms.

EDIT:  actually, I don't think that's it, as I don't have any of the symptoms, all I have is the headaches.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

7-15-2018

930am woke up, blood pressure 133/91.  Headache started almost immediately.  Base of skull in back and temples.

10am - took effexor, atorvastatin and glyxambi

1125am - took 2 excedrin migraine.

Felt ok most of the day.  It's currently 7pm and I can fell headache coming back, so i'll take 2 more excedrin migraine before bed.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

Jesus Christ, Venlafaxine is such a b*tch of a drug. Anyways, tacomaprime -- take it easy, take it slow, one-by-one, step-by-step, day-by-day, one foot over the other.

21 minutes ago, TheLandofNod said:

Jesus Christ, Venlafaxine is such a b*tch of a drug. Anyways, tacomaprime -- take it easy, take it slow, one-by-one, step-by-step, day-by-day, one foot over the other.

I agree.  If I had my way, I wouldn't have started taking this drug in the first place.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

Had the day off work today, so I woke up at 1030am

1030am - woke up,  ate breakfast

1125am - took effexor and 2 excedrin migraine

6pm - ate dinner took atorvastatin and glyxambi  decided to take these at night instead.

Felt warm, so I took my  temp.  99.2 but that could be because I just had eaten something hot, or because I mowed my yard  just before that.  Had to stop halfway through cause I thought I might pass out.

came in and took a shower.

Headache started almost immediately after I woke up but it wasn't as bad.  I've also had some minor tinnitus but I've had a form of that in a minor way for a while.  Probably from listening to music way too loud when I was a kid.  It's been a little more noticeable recently.  

Also had some diarrhea the last few days.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

stayed home from work again today.  Not going to be able to do that anymore for a while.

woke up at 1030am 

1030am - ate breakfast

1125 - took effexor

ended up finishing the mowing and going for a short walk tonight.

745 pm  doing ok so far.  Typical headache and slight lightheadedness and nausea today.  blood pressure was 120/82 this morning.

Wellbutrin - 150mg

• Administrator
On 7/15/2018 at 10:11 AM, tacomaprime said:

Do you think it's possible I have serotonin syndrome?  I don't know really anything about it, just something I've seen online when googling things I probably shouldn't regarding my symptoms.

No. Serotonin syndrome occurs when you are taking too much serotonergic drug. You are taking only one, at a relatively low dose.

Do you ordinarily have blood pressure around 140/xx? Did your blood pressure go up when you started taking 37.5mg again? When did the headaches start?

Please take Effexor at the same time each day. Since you've already had an adverse reaction, even a couple hours variation can cause symptoms.

Thank you for separating your drugs. With a daily symptom record, we may be able to tell which drug, if any, might be causing your symptoms.

Did you read https://www.drugs.com/sfx/glyxambi-side-effects.html

My blood pressure has normally been 120/80 or very near that. My blood pressure has been high just the last week or so that I know.  I didn't have a way to test it until 2 days ago.  The headaches started almost immediately after going back to the 37.5mg 4 to 5.weeks ago. 

I read the side effects of all my drugs. I did read the glyxambi ones.  I've been taking that med for 3 or 4 years with no problem though so that's why I figured it wouldn't be that one. 

Wellbutrin - 150mg

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

No. Serotonin syndrome occurs when you are taking too much serotonergic drug. You are taking only one, at a relatively low dose.

Do you ordinarily have blood pressure around 140/xx? Did your blood pressure go up when you started taking 37.5mg again? When did the headaches start?

Please take Effexor at the same time each day. Since you've already had an adverse reaction, even a couple hours variation can cause symptoms.

Thank you for separating your drugs. With a daily symptom record, we may be able to tell which drug, if any, might be causing your symptoms.

Did you read https://www.drugs.com/sfx/glyxambi-side-effects.html

Would you recommend I separate the drugs even further. I can take the glyxambi at breakfast, effexor at lunch and atorvastatin at dinner. 

Wellbutrin - 150mg