Anthony75

Anthony75: Any help would greatly be appreciated

Anthony75

Hi My name is Anthony. I’m new to this forum. I’ve never been a member of a forum before so if I’m posting things in the wrong place I apologize. Also I will not try and write a novel but I really do need help and advice. I’m 42 years old and have been on antidepressents since 18 years old. For the last 15 years I have been on Paxi40mg. I’ve also been taking Klonopin pretty much since 18 years old except for a couple years they put me on different benzo’s. But I’ve been on Klonopin 2mg at least 20 years. I’m taking these medicines for generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder. So about 10 months ago I spoke with my doctor about trying another ssri because of side effects I was having with Paxil. Just the usual ones weight gain, sexual, etc. That was the worst decision of my life. After the first week I got the Paxil flu. At the time I had no idea what the Paxil flu was or that I was going to feel like that. It scared the hell out of me and didn’t want to take these pills anymore. So like an idiot I started tapering off the Prozac and was off it within a month. So I believe I just basically quit Paxil cold turkey. I kept taking the Klonopin though. I fought the withdrawals for 3 months and couldn’t do it anymore. So I saw my doctor and he put me back on Prozac 40mg for about 3 weeks but I requested Paxil because I read something online saying it’s better to reinstate the same medication. I reinstated at Paxil 40 mg So now it’s about 5 months and I’m still experiencing the withdrawals while on Paxil. My waves are getting easier but still pretty bad and my windows seem to get longer some times. During a wave my anxiety is through the roof with constant worrying about everything important or not, can’t get out of bed, also with other symptoms as well. My question is it common to have withdrawals while taking the same dosage again after 5 months? I also read that sometimes reinstatement doesn’t work. I don’t think that is what is happening because I do feel improvements just small. The thought of reinstatement not working scares the hell out of me. Please any answers and advice would greatly be appreciated because I’m having a hard time. Once again sorry if this was too long for my first post I’m just desperate. Also can I ask about my symptoms here? Thank you so much for the people who took there time to read this. Hope to hear from you guy’s.

Gridley

Hello, Anthony75 and welcome to SA.  I have moved your post to our Introductions and Updates section.  This is your place to ask questions and give updates.

To start, in order to give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

The fact that your waves are getting easier and your windows longer are signs that your reinstatement is working.  There is no set time for stabilizing after a reinstatement.  Your cold-turkey put your nervous system in disequilibrium, and it may take some time to settle down.  When I updosed Imipramine after a too-fast taper, it took four months for my system to settle down.  Five months or longer doesn't seem unusual.  This quote is from Alto Strata, the founder of this site:

• Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on. Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free, or at least until your withdrawal symptoms are mild and tolerable.

In the meantime, the techniques in the following link have helped many members:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Best,
Gridley

Anthony75

Thank you so much Gridley for your quick response. I feel incredibly relief from the info you shared with me. I will fix my profile sorry about that. I can’t wait to learn more of what I’m going through and after I stabilize get off these pills the correct way. Thank you again for taking the time to help me

Anthony75

Hi Gridley How are you? I know you can’t give me an exact time frame but do you have a idea of how long it will take me to stabilize to where I was before quitting Paxil. I’m having a hard time with this. I looked through older post and can’t seem to find a situation like mine or overlooked it. It seems like everyone is tapering. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated because I’m worried and scared as hell. Thank you for your time.

Anthony75

Sorry what I meant as far as before quitting Paxil would be no more withdrawals.

Gridley

I wish I could give you a time frame, but I can't.  There just haven't been any studies on this, plus everyone is different.  The fact that you are experiencing windows is an extremely encouraging sign that reinstatement is working.   If you can, concentrate on that fact rather than worry, because worry cretes stress for the brin which is, though you may not be aware of it, is healing. The windows are evidence of that.  Just give it more time.

Anthony75

Thank you I appreciate it. I will follow your advice. If you don’t mind can I ask you one more question? I do not want to bother you. 

Foggyhead

You and I are in the almost exact situation. I am a 43 old male and started on ADs and benzos when I was 18 for anxiety and panic attacks. I weaned off Klonopin two years ago and Lexapro 14 months ago. I am still not  100% back to my old self. My chief complaint is relentless insomnia and tinnitus. I tried a reinstatement early on and had an adverse reaction.  My hopes are to be able to "ride it out" and not have to go back on anything. 

Anthony75

Hi Foggyhead How are you? I didn’t know other people could read this as I’m new to the forum and never been on a forum before. I’m glad other people can read it though because I could use all the help I can get right now. That’s awesome you are off the medication and getting better. This is all new to me so it’s been a hard time. I wasn’t expecting all this to happen by stopping Paxil. I’m just trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I trust what Gridley is telling me that the windows is showing that reinstatement is working it’s just when it’s bad my negative and anxious part of my brain takes over. Thank you for reaching out. 

Foggyhead
27 minutes ago, Anthony75 said:

Hi Foggyhead How are you? I didn’t know other people could read this as I’m new to the forum and never been on a forum before. I’m glad other people can read it though because I could use all the help I can get right now. That’s awesome you are off the medication and getting better. This is all new to me so it’s been a hard time. I wasn’t expecting all this to happen by stopping Paxil. I’m just trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I trust what Gridley is telling me that the windows is showing that reinstatement is working it’s just when it’s bad my negative and anxious part of my brain takes over. Thank you for reaching out. 

It has been a tough road, believe me and it is scary laying there awake at 2AM with the rest of the house sleeping, laying there listening to your ears ring and not being able to fall asleep, having depersonalization all day in a fog at work... I keep telling myself that better days are on the horizon if I can just stick it out. Three years from now and if I am not better, I will reevaluate it then. My advice to you would be to listen to what others are telling you here on this forum. I would also recommend from experience to hold the Klonopin for now until you re-stabilize on the AD  to save your sleep. Lack of sleep is hampering my recovery. If I was to do it over again I would have tapered the AD first, stabilized and then worked on getting off of the Klonopin.   

Gridley

Foggyhead,

Hang in there.  It will get better.  Time is the cure.

The techniques in these links have helped many members.  The first link deals with anxiety.

Have you tried magnesium and omega oil?  Many people find these calming to the nervous system.

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. 

For insomnia, I've found melatonin to be helpful.  Start with a low dose, no more than 1 mg, as higher doses can turn paradoxical.

Best,
Gridley

Anthony75

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. I will follow your advice. Were you able to work the whole time you were going through withdrawals? I couldn’t do it anymore after 2 months of withdrawals. That’s one of my biggest worries is getting back to work and think the withdrawals are making that worry and other worries harder to deal with. Even small worries are blown out of proportion. 

Foggyhead
31 minutes ago, Anthony75 said:

Thank you for the advice I appreciate it. I will follow your advice. Were you able to work the whole time you were going through withdrawals? I couldn’t do it anymore after 2 months of withdrawals. That’s one of my biggest worries is getting back to work and think the withdrawals are making that worry and other worries harder to deal with. Even small worries are blown out of proportion. 

Going to work helps me keep my sanity. Even days that I got zero sleep, I went to work. I am a type A person who has problems sitting still 

Anthony75

My hat’s off to you to be able to work. Happy to hear it helped you. I Tattoo for a living and I just can’t function properly. 

Foggyhead
5 hours ago, Gridley said:

Foggyhead,

Hang in there.  It will get better.  Time is the cure.

The techniques in these links have helped many members.  The first link deals with anxiety.

Have you tried magnesium and omega oil?  Many people find these calming to the nervous system.

For insomnia, I've found melatonin to be helpful.  Start with a low dose, no more than 1 mg, as higher doses can turn paradoxical.

Best,
Gridley

Thanks Gridley. I am reading Acceptance now. Its a real eye opener.

Survivor1

Hi Anthony75,

I wanted to offer a few words of support.  I too reinstated a drug in the past, and eventually stabilized.  It took me three months with acute symptoms every day of those three months; I had no windows until one day I felt sort of OK , then improvement was rapid.  The fact that you are getting some relief is a very good sign.  Hang on, stabilization will happen, have to have some blind faith sometimes.  You are not feeling absolutely horrible (which could suggest the reinstatement is not working).  

This is a very trying experience for us.  I too cannot go back to work; am trying to keep my chin up with an adverse reaction situation and having to take care of a family.  

I hope you continue to get more relief ...

Best

Anthony75

Thank you Survivor1 for taking the time to offer your support it means a lot. I hope the best for you