mutley

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

I tapered off the lower doses of Seroquel successfully. It took a long time. I used a digital scale, (found a link on this site), my son who was studying chemistry helped me figure out how to use it, I cut into crumbs then weighed them. I found a vitamin supplement program called The Road Back by Jim Harper. I got acupuncture. Even with all of that I still had to wait at least a month in between reductions. But keep the faith, it is worth it. I feel your pain.Seriously. You can do it. It is very difficult, but if I can do it,then you can too.

love & support

RubyTuesday

lanah   
lanah

Can I ask to the ones who tapered seroquel at which dosage you jumped? (I know it's different for everyone) But I would like to have an idea. 
Thank you!

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

I was at 1/2 of 25 mg for about a year, or 12.5 mg. Then I cut it in half to about 6.25 mg for about a month? or 2 or 3? then I cut it in half to approx 3.12 & change for 2 weeks? and then I jumped off. I was using a digital scale at this point.  I knew this was too fast but I was getting severe episodes of muscle cramping and they were increasing so I jumped off. 3 months out I had a bad attack of dystonia and got into the dyskinisia/dystonia from Seroquel lawsuit page on Facebook. It just so happened that I googled "severe muscle cramping from psych meds" the same day that the guy posted the class action lawsuit. He is trying to get enough folks for a class action lawsuit, so go check it out.

Sorry, actually I cut off 1/3 of half the tab to approx 8 mg for a few weeks, then to approx 4 mg, then off. I can go look up the exact schedule in my journals if you want.

lanah   
lanah

I'm at 17mgs now, scared of running out off pills because the doctor thinks i'm tapering too slow (and he prescribes monthly have to go back every month) 
I already have a lot of muscle problems and I was a dancer too :( hate what these doctors have done to us. 

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

so sorry your doc thinks you are tapering too slow, I admit I kind of stockpiled by not telling him/her I was tapering until long after I was, so I had enough

lanah   
lanah

So your muscle problems actually got better after quitting the seroquel?  How are you now? 

RubyTuesday   
RubyTuesday

They did get a lot better initially, as I had had a left joint hip cramp that had become chronic, it cleared up immediately and I was able to take about 30 ballet classes without a recurrence, however I had also had several acupuncture sessions for the hip.

However about 2.5 months out I had a minor fall on the sidewalk and later that day my entire right hip seized up and I was unable to move for about 2 days. Upon reflection I traced every dystonic episode back to some sort of strain that I used to be able to handle, such as pulling weeds, moving furniture, etc. I have now concluded that I have a mild case of episodic dystonia related to such formerly normal demands on my muscles.

I have not bothered to discuss any of this with my doctors. I have absolutely no faith in such people. And absolutely no interest in further meds. Although actually one lady did prescribe magnesium supplements which seem to be helping. Otherwise i do acupuncture, chiropractic and other alternative treatments, and I am doubling up my yoga and meditation practices with the aim of being very careful in my demands on my body unless and until I am completely re-trained and warmed up.

When I take ballet classes I only do the barre exercises and not at all to my former capacity. I have not yet trusted my balance enough to re-engage in the floor work to any degree. The most unfortunate part is that I do not trust my body to re-engage in my former profession of kidcare full time, as the demands on my body can be sudden and urgent in that line of work.

So I am disabled by psych meds and receiving disability for so-called mental illness which I see as disabling me only because of the meds. A real paradox.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Folks, please take discussions of your particular situations to the Intro forum so this topic will be easier to read for those who want Tips for Tapering off Seroquel. Thank you.

lanah   
lanah

Then i make a seroquel topic in the intro forum? I find this a very difficult type of lay out. I thought the intro forum was for intro's? 

Justin   
Justin

Hi everyone, this is my first post.  Firstly, I greatly appreciate all of the insight and ideas.  Secondly, a question about my options:

Background - I'm on 100mg of Seroquel for sleep.  I've been on it for 6 years.  I want to get off (or reduce as much as possible.  I've tried to reduce dosage on 2 occasions (prior to finding this site).  First time I tried taking 75mg.  I had a horrible night and went right back to 100mg.  A year later I tried 87.5mg.  Same result, so I went right back to 100mg.

Question - Based on those experiences, is there anything wrong with trying a 5% reduction (using a mg scale as other posts suggest) for the first couple weeks to see how I react - rather than the 10% reduction that's recommended here?  I think I'd be less fearful (trying to avoid nocebo effect) if I tried a smaller reduction first.

Also, would there be any benefit to taking some melatonin the first couple nights of the reduction to help with the transition?

Thanks

Petunia   
Petunia

Welcome Justin,

I think trying a 5% reduction would be a great idea. Adding melatonin at the same time probably wouldn't be a good idea because whatever happens, or doesn't happen, you wont know whether to attribute it to the drug cut or the melatonin. If you can establish the right rate of tapering for you personally, you shouldn't need to add anything else to help with sleep.

Please would you start an introduction topic for yourself here:  Introductions and updates  so we can get to know you and continue providing ongoing support and suggestions relevant to your specific situation.

It would be great if you would put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Doing this helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts. Here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

Songbird   
Songbird

is there anything wrong with trying a 5% reduction (using a mg scale as other posts suggest) for the first couple weeks to see how I react - rather than the 10% reduction that's recommended here?

Nothing wrong with it, it's a good idea.  The 10% is the maximum recommended dose cut, so less than 10% is also okay.  Some people find 10% too much, but are successful with smaller percentage drops.

Also, would there be any benefit to taking some melatonin the first couple nights of the reduction to help with the transition?

I agree with Petunia that it would be better to try the drop first to see how it goes, and not confuse things with melatonin.  However, as someone who has been on Seroquel for sleep and used melatonin to transition, I can say it worked for me.  I would try the very small drop in dose first - you might find that you don't need to add the melatonin.  If you experience mild to moderate sleep difficulties but have no major w/d symptoms, then you could try melatonin to help with sleep.  If you experience major sleep problems or other major w/d symptoms then you might have dropped too much. 

freespirit123   
freespirit123

Just wanted to give a heads up about my tapering. I have successfully tapered off Sero., 3 wks and going strong!

If I can do it, so can you. I took it for bedtime along with Lunesta which I'm still taking. I feel so much better off of it. No more shaky hands or anxiety. It was actually causing more anxious thoughts for me. So glad I'm off!

I had a couple of bad nights and has to take Ativan for about 2-3 nights (.25mg) but that's it. I still have early wake up but I've been using Magnesium, Melatonin (1mg) and salt and honey and it gets me back to sleep.

I'm here if anyone has questions. You can do it!!!!

freespirit123   
freespirit123

However I do have a question and tried to find online and couldn't. How long does it take for your brain to get back to normal after Sero use?

Altostrata   
Altostrata

This varies from person to person. Recovery will be very gradual and probably in waves and windows.

maria323   
maria323

Hi freespirit123! what kind of magnesium do u use? Do u take it at night along with the melatonin? I don't have a problem getting to sleep but I wake at 2 or 3 ish and need something to get me back to sleep. I've been taking 12.5 of seroquel as needed but I want to stop taking it.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Please take discussions of magnesium to the magnesium topic in Symptoms, or discuss on freespirit's Intro topic. It is off-topic here.

lanah   
lanah

Can someone help me set up a liquid microtaper for seroquel?
Which liquid do I use, what kind of tools do I need? I'm at about 15 mg , i was considering tapering 0,1 mg at first. But I'm too brain fogged to really read through a lot of threads so if someone could help me with a specific plan that would be very helpful, thank you
I'm afraid that the powder wouldn't be totally absorbed and I would be taking weird dosages

Alia02   
Alia02

I have found this drug much harder to drop that the anti depressant. Its going to take a while. I have been on it for about 20 years.

aries19835   
aries19835

does anyone have a dosage guideline for seroquel? Like at what point it is only on histamine, serotonin, and dopamine. At what dosage should the taper be really careful about? Also at what dosage seroquel is for schizophrenia, bipolar, mania, and finally insomnia?

Altostrata   
Altostrata

Hi, aries. The receptor occupancy of Seroquel at various dosages is not really relevant to tapering. As long as reducing the drug cause withdrawal symptoms, you need to taper.

While psychiatry pretends there are definite "therapeutic" dosages, the fact is that dosage is individual (usually, the prescribed dosage is too high), whether the dosage is "therapeutic" is completely subjective (often the doctor's opinion), and drug treatment of any psychiatric condition is trial and error.

Alia02   
Alia02

Thanks for that info Altostrata. I certainly do feel like the research re Seroquel withdrawl and its impact has not been done yet. My experiences of it are certainly much different than what I was told I would experience. (Also one a pain Psych told me he didnt need to undertake  research because my reaction to drugs was his research and that I was the experiment. I remember laughing with him...but not now)

Rainmaker7   
Rainmaker7

Hi everyone, 

I would like to confirm that I am understanding this thing correctly: is it OK to taper standard Seroquel by cutting the pill (without making a liquid form)? 

I take 50 mg (2 pills of 25 mg each), I bought a digital scale and it's  accurate in measuring. So I started by reducing 5% and then 10%.

[before I tried to dissolve a pill in water and it seems that some powder remains attached to the glass. I find more comfortable by cutting the pill.]

The coating seems to be just a very thin layer, I don't think it 's meant to have a use as a gastrointestinal protection.

Thanks for your help  :)

mammaP   
mammaP

Hi Rainmaker, welcome to SA. Yes that is fine, here is the post that explains in detail the ways to taper seroquel / quetiapine. 

You will need to leave at least 3 weeks between cuts. Tapering fast can result in psychosis, even if it wan't prescribed for psychosis! 

Would you like to start a topic in the intro forum, so we can get to know you? That would be your journal where you can log your progress and ask any questions about your taper.  The intro forum is also a good place for doctors to see case histories and the devastating effects that some drugs have on people, and how some people taper successfully by using the 10% method.  :)

MNgal1960   
MNgal1960

I'm tapering Seroquel, too, Rainmaker, and have been cutting using a scale. It's slow going, but it does seem to work to dry cut it.

Rainmaker7   
Rainmaker7

Hi Rainmaker, welcome to SA. Yes that is fine, here is the post that explains in detail the ways to taper seroquel / quetiapine. 

You will need to leave at least 3 weeks between cuts. Tapering fast can result in psychosis, even if it wan't prescribed for psychosis! 

Would you like to start a topic in the intro forum, so we can get to know you? That would be your journal where you can log your progress and ask any questions about your taper.  The intro forum is also a good place for doctors to see case histories and the devastating effects that some drugs have on people, and how some people taper successfully by using the 10% method.  :)

thanks a lot mammaP

I'm tapering Seroquel, too, Rainmaker, and have been cutting using a scale. It's slow going, but it does seem to work to dry cut it.

Hi MNgal1960, good luck to you too. It's tough road but we have to make it

MNgal1960   
MNgal1960

Well, I am getting very frustrated with the dry cutting. I just dread doing it, but it looks like Seroquel is not really very soluble in water, if my understanding of this thread is correct. I find som eo fhte links very confusing. :(  Is it best to stick with dry cutting?

scallywag   
scallywag

MNGal -- Seroquel is "moderately soluble" in water.  The implication of moderate solubility is that you will have undissolved particles in the liquid. To deal with that, you shake the liquid and remove a dose from the centre of the suspension.

MNgal1960   
MNgal1960

Thanks, Scallywag. I will try that and see what happens.

MNgal1960   
MNgal1960

I was wondering if tapering off of Seroquel causes the same kind of symptoms as tapering off of AD or benzos. And are there symptoms that seem to the the most common no matter what drug you're tapering?

Shep   
Shep

Hi, MNgal. Yes, there are a lot of overlapping symptoms with AD's, benzos, and antipsychotics. Insomnia, mood swings, cog fog, and GI problems are just a few that can come from any of these drugs. 

And many people coming off antipsychotics have been polydrugged, so that makes it even more complicated, especially due to the possibility of kindling. 

Sending healing vibes your way.