RubyJ: tapering off Abilify

RubyJ

Hi.  I'm trying to taper off Abilify and I'm flying solo because my GP has no clue about how to do it.  She did say I should taper but had no guidelines.  So last October I stopped taking it cold turkey because I am foolish and forgot what she said.  One week later, I was a complete mess.  So I went back on, and started to taper.  I decided to decrease by .5 mg (started at 5 mg) every 2 1/2 weeks, the timeline was mostly just because it's easy to remember.  I didn't have much of a reaction to the tapering, so I was pleased.  However, I finally got down to .5 mg at the beginning of February (so hard to cut those pills ugh) and then stopped about a week ago.  I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms again -- the anxiety especially; it doesn't seem as bad as when I stopped at 5 mg in October but . . .  it's just a week now and last time it got worse . . . I'm sort of lost as to what to do now.  Was it too fast?  Should I go back on .5 mg and stay there for a month or so and then try to stop completely?  Or should I just try to wait out the symptoms?  Any advice would be welcome!  I have had trouble going off antidepressants in the past . . . Zoloft was a problem, as was Wellbutrin (although not the first two times I went off).  I can stop taking Prozac on a whim with no problems, though?  *shrug*

(I'm also taking Prozac and Wellbutrin, no changes to those in some time.  Oh, and dextroamphetamine but not depression related.)

Dextroamphetamine 30 mg, started 2011 -- still taking

Paxil 2004-2005

Wellbutrin/Bupropion 300 mg, started 2005 -- still taking

Prozac/Fluoxetine 40 mg, started 2006 -- still taking

Abilify/Aripiprazole 5 mg, started 2014 -- started taper in 2017, finished 2020

• At 0.5 mg February 2018
  • At 0.2 mg/mL September 2018
  • At 0.18mg/mL October 30, 2018
  • At 0.17mg/mL December 20, 2018
  • At 0.16mg/mL January 10, 2019
  • At 0.15mg/mL February 19, 2019
  • At 0.14mg/mL April 25, 2019
  • At 0.13mg/mL June 22, 2019
  • At 0.12mg/mL August 5, 2019
  • At 0.11mg/mL September 5, 2019
  • At 0.10 mg/mL November 7, 2019
  • At 0.05 mg/mL February 1, 2020
  • Jumped off March 23, 2020

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RubyJ

• Gridley

• ChessieCat

• Cleerity

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, RubyJ and welcome to SA.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.
You were tapering a bit faster than 10%, both in terms of dosage reduction and time between cuts.  It's also important to go slower as the dose becomes smaller.  You said you tolerated the taper well, but it is possible that the withdrawal symptoms are catching up with you now from a too fast taper.  It's also possible that .5mg was too high a dosage to jump off from.  You can see from the second link that many people jump off at a much lower dose.   

Here is what I would suggest.  Since it's only been a week, I would reinstate the .5mg and hold there until you stabilize.  It may take a month or it may take longer.  Then I would continue tapering by 10% every four weeks.  I know you said it is difficult to cut those pills, but I think you need to go lower than .5 or you'll just be repeating the same situation with the same (or worse) results.  So to taper 10% of .5mg, you multiply by .9 and get .05 mg.  So your next dose would be 4.95.  I know this seems slow, but this is what people on this site do and what works.  For example, Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, tapered down to .046 before jumping off.  At some point the powder or liquid will be infinitesimal and you will have to do the best you can.  Abilify is a very powerful drug and you will need to be careful coming off it.  

Tips for tapering off aripiprazole (Abilify)

To get a small consistent dose you'll need to either weigh crushed tablets or make a liquid.  Abilify comes in a liquid and that might be the easiest way to get down to these small doses.  A scale is another option.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

To get you started, and familiarized with the protocols followed by SA, I am linking a few topics so that you have a better understanding of what is recommended here. 

It seems to me that .5mg is too high a dose to jump off from.  

Edited by ChessieCat
tried to fix up post

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to RubyJ: Tapering off Abilify

Thank you for your reply.  I'm pretty tired (just got home from the doctor) but will review your links tomorrow.  I did go ahead and take the .5 mg today.  The doctor suggested I try taking it three times a week and then reduce to two times a week, but it looks like that's not what's recommended here.  I'll do some reading tomorrow and update (and make a signature).  Thanks again.

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA from me too Ruby,

24 minutes ago, RubyJ said:

doctor suggested I try taking it three times a week and then reduce to two times a week, but it looks like that's not what's recommended here.

You are correct.  It is NOT recommended.  The brain likes consistency and that means the same dose at about the same time every day.

Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

It takes about 4 days for the dose to get to a steady state in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  Please keep daily notes on paper so that you can see improvement which you may not feel.  Keep Notes on Paper

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Okay, I've read links provided, thanks very much.  It sounds like my best bet is to grind the tablets (the liquid solution is no longer available), I have a digital scale and they want to crumble when you cut them anyway.  (It'll be like Chem 101 all over again.)  I think I'll call the doctor on Monday and tell her that I'm planning to decrease the dosage that way instead of every other day and see what she says.  I think her reasoning for the every other day approach is the long half-life of Abilify.  Still, it sounds like I shouldn't risk it.  I'm also trying to take it a little later every day (took it at noon yesterday) so I can get back to my evening schedule.  Cutting the pills in quarters probably wasn't/isn't getting me a real accurate dose, either, because the quarters are rarely exactly the same size.   

I'm going to break out a notebook and start taking notes.

I was talking to a friend earlier and she asked me some questions that I couldn't answer, but they got me thinking.  The truth of the matter is that I'll probably have to make it through a period of withdrawal no matter what, right?  The goal is just to make it as mild as possible?

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

The scale is a good way to go.  Yes, there will be some periods of discomfort and, as you said, the goal is to make it as mild as possible.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I'm working on stabilizing, no real changes yet but I'm hoping to see some in the next few days.  Need to test my scale and see if I need a more precise one . . .

I do have a question but I thought maybe context would help; if this is tl;dr skip to bottom.  I have a sleep disorder (idiopathic hypersomnia) and to undergo diagnosis for this I had to do sleep studies several times.  For the MSLT (Multiple Sleep Latency Test) especially they want you off all other meds.  First time I did it in 2009, I was seeing the most incompetent doctor ever, and he decided the only med I should stop was my SSRI, which was Zoloft at the time (I have forgotten why the doctor switched me from Prozac).  He did not give me much warning, which ended up making the results of the test inconclusive.  What fun.  I may have tapered slightly, but I did suffer withdrawal.  It wasn't severe but it was noticeable (it's true I hadn't been taking it long).  When I called the the nurse about it, she said 'You're imagining it because you read the rare withdrawal symptoms in the drug packet.  That barely happens to anyone."  I told her what I thought of that and she refused to tell the doctor.  (I kind of had a long history of antagonism with that nurse, to be fair?)  The withdrawal symptoms only lasted two weeks.  I requested to go back on Prozac instead of Zoloft after I was done with the test.

When it was time for me to redo the MSLT test in 2010 (with a different doctor, different clinic), they had me stop all meds for a month ahead of time (except I begged them to let me take my allergy meds which they consented to).  So the meds at the time were Prozac (40 mg) and Wellbutrin (300 mg).  I didn't notice any withdrawal during the month.  After the test, I resumed taking them -- so maybe longer than 4 weeks but not 5.  The results of the test and opinion of the doctor were very upsetting to me, and I had trouble dealing with it, but I think that was normal and probably not affected by the drugs -- not 100% of course.

In 2014 I saw a psychiatrist at the clinic where I was receiving therapy as a mandatory med check-up.  She really wanted me to take Abilify.  I was fine with it, although the way it was described to me as 'an anti-depressant booster' was disingenious.  She started me at 5 mg (not the minimum of 2 mg).  A month later or so, she asks me how it was working.  I said 'It might be helping, I guess?  I can't tell.'  So she tried to raise the dose to 10 mg.  I didn't tolerate it at all (I don't remember the details now) and called her office to tell her I needed to stay at 5 mg.  Next time I saw her she was displeased with this outcome but accepted it.  I asked her a question about Wellbutrin and whether she thought it was possible that the stimulant effect it has was part of the reason it worked well for me at first when the sleep disorder wasn't diagnosed and I had no meds for it.  She said that it was possible, and asked if I wanted to try stopping it.  I agreed, because less medicine is better, right?  Although I will note that Wellbutrin never gave me any significant side effects (except sweating lol).  So I was still on the Abilify and Prozac but not Wellbutrin.  She did not taper me off.  I was fine at first.  Unfortunately, I don't remember much of this time period well, and I can't say how long it took for the depression to set in.  I really don't know if it was recurrence of symptoms or withdrawal, although the fact that I had crazy anxiety which hadn't been the case beforehand, points more to withdrawal?  I eventually went back on the Wellbutrin and everything was normal again. 

Shouldn't a psychiatrist have known to taper Wellbutrin?  It's her /specialty/.  Although she also told me weight gain wasn't a side effect of Abilify and that is patently untrue.

It looks like from other people's experiences on the site that Wellbutrin withdrawal takes a while.  So probably the time I stopped for a month wasn't long enough for withdrawal to start and that was what hit me in 2014.

So here's the question:  Now that I have had withdrawal from the Abilify (and probably Wellbutrin), will I be more at risk for withdrawal if I ever stopped the Prozac again even though I haven't had it before? 

It also seems that the question of whether Wellbutrin is necessary or not was never answered because everyone assumed it was relapse and not withdrawal.  Hmmm. 

Oh, and I've been looking through the scientific journals section of the site and am pretty disappointed that there is very little scientific data about Abilify even though it's become so popular. 

(Should I put dextroamphetamine in my sig?  It's not for depression and it's not an antidepressant so I left it off.  It's also no trouble to stop taking lol, schedule 2 drug what.) 

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

Doctors, including psychiatrists, know little, if anything, about withdrawal.  They believe what the drug companies tell them, and it's certainly not in the drug companies' interest to tell doctors or the public that going off these profitable drugs can be lengthy and difficult.

Sometimes you can go off a drug with little problem, and the next time you aren't so lucky.  That's not uncommon.

The fact that in 2014 you had the anxiety that you hadn't had before points to withdrawal, not relapse.  More information on this at:

This post and Is it withdrawal or relapse?

It's possible that you will be slightly more at risk of experiencing withdrawal symptoms because your CNS has been to some extent destabilized before.  This heightened risk can be minimized by allowing time to pass between the completion of one taper and the beginning of another.

Yes, please put the dex and another other psychiatric drug in your signature.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I have been reading about windows and waves of stabilization and hoping that's what's happening to me; It's been 6 days since I reinstated the .5 mg and today and yesterday have actually been worse, this is normal?  Since the anxiety is bad, I'm hyper worried about not improving in a linear fashion but trying to find out if that's the sign of the reinstatement not working or a normal thing.  I also developed more symptoms . . . I'm having weird sweating spells, really short but noticeable.  Sometimes I'm cold when it happens, or sometimes I'm hot. 

The anxiety is bad enough that I can't sleep during the day which would be amazing if not supremely uncomfortable.  Because of course, am I less sleepy?  Nope, just can't actually sleep to alleviate it.  I'm thinking of taking a Lorazepam to induce a nap (the doctor prescribed it for the anxiety) but I'm also unsure if I should add more chemicals to my poor brain.

Paxil 2004-2005

Hi Ruby,  I just read your thread and I'm so sorry you are suffering.  It angers me when patients like you are prescribed an antipsychotic and not informed of the drugs true nature......

On 27/02/2018 at 5:40 AM, RubyJ said:

She really wanted me to take Abilify.  I was fine with it, although the way it was described to me as 'an anti-depressant booster' was disingenious.

What you quoted above is misleading and unethical.  No patient is able to give "informed consent" when given such misleading information. 

Like you I also have sweating issues.  I also take a combination of Prozac and dexamphetamine.  There is a major drug interaction between these medications. They should not be prescribed together. These doctors are clueless. However, the sweating could be another cause.  It is very difficult to navigate this process especially when multiple drugs are prescribed. 

Welcome to SA Ruby. Please know you are not alone in this mess :) Love. K 🌻

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg, 8th April 1.48mg, 15th April 1.47mg, 22nd April 1.46mg, 29th April 1.45mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

RubyJ! I am tapering Saphris (same class) and I have the same sweating spells! Sorry you are having them too!

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

• Moderator Emeritus

RubyJ,

How are you feeling now?  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

@Kristine Thanks for your kind words, they made a difference for me yesterday.  I'm also interested and going to look into the interaction between Prozac and Dexedrine, no doctor has ever mentioned it, sheesh.

@DMV64 I'm glad to know I'm not crazy or something, haha.  I'm sorry that you're having them as well, though.

@Gridley Today might be a little better than yesterday although still worse than two or three days ago.  Pretty anxious but right at the moment the depression isn't bad, although earlier today it was.  I probably can sleep, though, so less anxious than yesterday.

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you worse or better since you reinstated the .5mg  Abilify?  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Hmmm.  Yesterday I was definitely worse.  Today might be about the same as when the withdrawal started, perhaps a little worse.  It varies throughout the day, of course, which makes it hard to say for sure.  It's been 5 days with the reinstated .5 mg Abilify now.

Paxil 2004-2005

Today is definitely better than yesterday.  Hopefully the trend will continue.

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

After doing some research, I found out that although the brand name oral solution is discontinued, there are generic versions available.  Amneal, the company that makes the tablets I take, makes one.  One interesting thing is that the oral solution is rated AA but the tablets are only rated AB.  That makes me think that if I can get a prescription for the liquid, I should switch to the same dose I'm taking in the tablets before I begin tapering since the pharmacology of the tablets vs the liquid may be slightly different so I should let my body adjust.  Thoughts?

I do seem to be slowly stabilizing, so I thought I should get prepared to make my tapering plan.

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm very happy you're stabilizing.  Please make sure you're good and stable before beginning tapering.

When you switch from tablets to liquid, you should do a gradual crossover to allow your system to adjust.  Please read the first paragraph of MammaP's post (second post in thread):

Qqii: Is liquid less potent than pills even though its same substance ...

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks for the link.  I think I'm going to start switching to liquid today.  My problem is that I don't think I can cut my quarter pills in quarters to crossover that slowly.  I think the dose would be really irregular.  So I was thinking of trying half pill half liquid for 7 days and then only liquid after that.  I think I can cut the quarter pills into halves at least somewhat accurately.  I'm going to wait at least 2 weeks after switching to liquid to start tapering.

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

That should work fine.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thanks for answering.  It makes me feel less like I'm flying blind :)

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi RubyJ,

I caught your question on Kristine's thread and did my best to answer there.  Concerning getting your Dextroamphetamine scripts filled.

And great, you've got Gridley and ChessieCat looking in.

Welcome aboard the survivingantidepressants ship(and all other forms of obnoxious psychoactive medications)from me too!

You might want to check out your medication interactions as well.  Here's a link:

https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Just plug in all of your medications there and then copy and paste here on your introduction/thread for us.

You seem to be on an awful lot of "accelerators" at this point in time versus "brakes".  You can read about those terms(accelerators and brakes) in the first post here:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Meantime it appears you are just getting settled with your Abilify switch to liquid.  One thing at a time is good.

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

You seem to be on an awful lot of "accelerators" at this point in time versus "brakes". 

There actually is somewhat of a reason for that xD  I have a sleep disorder called Idiopathic Hypersomnia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiopathic_hypersomnia) for which there is no 'cure', so all they can do is treat the symptoms.  The Dexedrine is what I take for that.  It's sort of like I'm constantly sedated, so the stimulant is to counteract that.  I do have regular medicine checkups for the dextroamphetamine with my sleep doctor, and one of the things he watches for are negative drug interactions.  I've also taken pretty much every stimulant available before settling on this one.  The 'safer' ones like Provigil and Nuvigil didn't work. 

I was on ADs before I was diagnosed with the sleep disorder, because of some severe depression in college.  I think the depression and the sleep disorder were linked in some way but I don't really know for sure. 

Oh, and I am on an antihistamine as well, which is a 'brake', essentially.

I did plug my meds into the drug interaction checker -- should I copy and paste the whole thing?  It's kind of long. 

Paxil 2004-2005

Here we go!

My Interactions List

Abilify (aripiprazole)

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine)
Emoquette (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol)
Prozac (fluoxetine)
Wellbutrin XL (bupropion)
Xyzal (levocetirizine)

Interactions between your drugs

Major

bupropion fluoxetine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Prozac (fluoxetine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with FLUoxetine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of FLUoxetine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

fluoxetine dextroamphetamine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using FLUoxetine together with dextroamphetamine. FLUoxetine may increase the effects of dextroamphetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

bupropion dextroamphetamine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with dextroamphetamine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of dextroamphetamine, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

bupropion aripiprazole

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Abilify (aripiprazole)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with ARIPiprazole. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of ARIPiprazole, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

fluoxetine aripiprazole

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Abilify (aripiprazole)

FLUoxetine may increase the blood levels and effects of ARIPiprazole. This can make you more likely to develop side effects such as drowsiness, seizure, Parkinson-like symptoms, abnormal muscle movements, and low blood pressure. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if you experience agitation, aggression, confusion, convulsions, muscle spasm, or movements that you can't stop or control such as lip smacking, chewing, puckering, frowning or scowling, tongue thrusting, teeth clenching, jaw twitching, blinking, eye rolling, shaking or jerking of arms and legs, tremor, jitteriness, restlessness, pacing, and foot tapping. Also be alert to symptoms of low blood pressure such as dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or increased pulse or heart rate. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position, especially at the beginning of treatment or after an increase in dose of ARIPiprazole. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

bupropion levocetirizine

Applies to: Wellbutrin XL (bupropion), Xyzal (levocetirizine)

Using levocetirizine together with buPROPion may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

fluoxetine levocetirizine

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Xyzal (levocetirizine)

Using levocetirizine together with FLUoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

aripiprazole levocetirizine

Applies to: Abilify (aripiprazole), Xyzal (levocetirizine)

Using levocetirizine together with ARIPiprazole may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Edited by ChessieCat
coloured major/moderate

Paxil 2004-2005

Updating because today I'll switch to liquid only *crosses fingers*

I'm feeling a little depressed today but I can't tell if it's just a normal blue day (kind of gray and miserable outside) or signs that the liquid isn't similar enough -- either way, I want to be on the liquid only so I'm going ahead. 

Some things about the liquid tapering: I found a lot of suggestions in the liquid tapering thread so helpful!  I don't have a bottle with the hole in it for the syringe, and pouring the liquid into the little medicine cup they gave me and using the syringe in that is better for the air bubbles, just as suggested!  The markings washed off my first syringe so I picked up a couple more -- I tried wrapping a small piece of clear packing tape around the markings to see if that will keep them from rubbing off when rinsed.  I'll have to see if it works.

My initial plan was to start tapering in two weeks, but in about exactly two weeks I'm going to have a major life change-ish, moving in with a friend for a few months to help her out when her baby is born (her husband has 0 days of paternity leave).  So I was thinking that starting a taper right then isn't a great idea.  Maybe wait until I've been there at least a week? 

Some questions about tapering math:

So I'm at .5mg and my liquid is 1mg/1mL. 

So the first taper should be to 0.45mL -- but 10% of .45 is .405.  How do I round that?  The traditional way, so I'd go 0.45mL -> 0.41mL?  And keep rounding up, so then to 0.37mL?  Or would I just go 0.45mL -> 0.4mL?

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

RubyJ,

I'm not sure from your post, but are you switching straight from tablet to liquid, or have you done a gradual crossover?  A gradual crossover is recommended to acclimate the system to the liquid.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I did a half-and-half crossover; I can't really get precise measurements of the pills smaller than .5mg, so I did .25mg pill and .25mL liquid for a week before going to only liquid yesterday.

Paxil 2004-2005

It's been a week since I've been on the liquid only, and the anxiety upon waking has returned.  Hopefully more WD symptoms aren't going to follow . . .

Paxil 2004-2005

Now I'm feeling teary and anxious . . . but maybe it's not WD, maybe it's just because I'm afraid WD is coming back.  Or maybe my period's going to start soon.  I don't even . . . Ugh.

Paxil 2004-2005

39 minutes ago, RubyJ said:

feeling teary and anxious . . . but maybe it's not WD

It's so hard to tell, isn't it? These drugs mess with so many things! It really looks like you are making progress in your taper. I think it will just take your body time to adjust to each change.

Hang in there!

I'm praying you feel better soon!

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

@Dalalea Thanks so much for your words of encouragement! 

The morning anxiety persisted for a few days, but no other symptoms appeared and it's starting to fade now.  Staying at my current dose for another few weeks, although it is hard to be patient.

Paxil 2004-2005

5 hours ago, RubyJ said:

no other symptoms appeared and it's starting to fade now. 

Great news!

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

Hello rubyj. How are you? It is me,Manny. I think I read that you are liquid tritation abilify. I have anxiety,tremors and body pain. I cant read too much because I don't retain much information. I can't get liquid compound to tritate or regular tablets. As far as I know the ability discmelt disintegrating tablets can be broken. I am tritating using a syringe that measures 10 ml. I toss away 2 ml and drink 8 ml. I don't know how to quote a paragraph.Thank you for your time to help me out.

Thank you,

Manny

Abilify from 20 mg to 10 mg-Nov.29,2017 to March.24,2019; Abilify 10 mg March.24,2019 to Sep.26,2020; 9,4ml Sep.27,2020;9,8ml Sep.29,2020;9,6ml Oct.17,2020;9,4ml Oct.30, 2020;9,2ml Nov.15,2020;9ml November 25th,2020;8,8ml December 16th,2020;8,6ml December 30th,2020;8,4ml January 13th,2021;8,2ml February 2nd,2021;8ml February 25th,2021;7,8ml March 17th,2021;7,6ml April 6th,2021;7,4ml April 18th,2021;7,2ml May 4th,2021;7ml  May 26th,2021;6,8ml June 6th,2021;6,6ml July 5th,2021;6,4ml July 21st,2021;6,2ml July 31st,2021;6ml August 13th,2021;5,8ml August 31st,2021;5,6ml September 16th,2021;5,4ml October 1st,2021;5,2ml October 15th,2021;5ml Nov 1st, 2021;4,8 ml Nov 13th,2021;Abilify 4,6ml November 28th,2021;Abilify 4ml December 10th,2021;Abilify 3,8ml January 1st,2022;Abilify 3,6ml January 15th,2022;Abilify 3,4ml January 28th,2022;Abilify 3,2ml February 15th,2022;Abilify 3ml February 28th,2022;Abilify 2,8ml March 12th,2022;Abilify 2,6ml March 31,2022;Abilify 2,5ml April 19th,2022;Abilify 2,4 May 6th,2022;Abilify 2,35ml May 26th,2022;Abilify 2,3ml June 23,2022; Abilify 2,2ml June 28th,2022;Abilify 2,1ml July 19th,2002;Abilify 2ml August 19th,2022;Abilify 1,95ml November 6th,2022;Abilify 1,9ml December 16th,2022;Abilify 1,85ml January 13th,2023;Abilify 1,85ml January 14th,2023;Abilify 1,90ml January 15th,2023; Abilify 1,89ml February 5th,2023;Abilify 1,88 ml February 10th,2023; Abilify 1,88

ml February 15th,2023; Abilify 1,85 ml February,20th,2023; Abilify 1,83ml March,6th,2023, Abilify 1,80ml March 17th,2023; Abilify 1,77ml March 29th,2023; Abilify 1,75ml April 12,2023; Abilify 1,5ml September 22nd,2023

Cymbalta 120 mg Jun.28,2011; 90mg Feb.19,2013 to Jun 5,2014;60 mg Jun.5,2014 to present

Klonopin 1,25 mg Jan.3,2016; 0,25mg Nov.28,2017 to present

biperiden extended release 4mg April.25,2008 to Feb.6,2009;Jun 24.2011 to January 13th 2023;Biperiden 4mg extended release + biperiden 1mg

Risperidone 2mg May.4,2017 to Dec 6.2019

Risperdal 1,5mg 12/06/19; 1,75mg 12/08/19; 1,5mg 12/20/19; 1,75mg (0,018g) 12/26/19

Risperidone 1,75ml 1/8/20; 1,70ml 1/18/20; 1,62ml 1/30/20; 1,54ml 2/29/20; 1,44ml 5/6/20; 1,42ml 5/7/20; 1,40ml 5/18/20; 1,30ml 6/1/20; 1,25ml 6/11/20; 1,12ml 7/5/20; 1ml 7/21/20; 0,96ml 8/16/20; 0,875ml 8/18/20; 0,86ml 8/28/20; 0,80ml 3/24/21;0,84ml 3/27/21; 0,86ml 4/4/21

So the morning anxiety has been back, along with other symptoms, for about 5 days.  I haven't changed anything with the Abilify.  However . . . *looks sheepish* I missed a day of Prozac about a week ago.  I have an excuse but that doesn't really help . . . someone else was supposed to pick them up for me because my car battery was dead (needed replacing -- I have since done that) and they forgot.  3 days in a row.  The last day I would have walked to the drugstore but I didn't find out they'd forgotten again until after it was closed.  Aggravating.  Anyway.  I'm thinking maybe missing that dose just unbalanced my system which is apparently very sensitive now.  If the symptoms don't start lessening soon, though, it would make that theory unlikely.  I'm keeping notes on paper but I like to post here too because it also helps me track what's going on.  If anyone has any thoughts, they'd be welcome :)

Paxil 2004-2005

• Moderator Emeritus

It may have.  Hopefully things will settle soon.

Suggestion:  Make sure that you fill your prescription in plenty of time before you need them. ;)

Which reminds me that I need to organise my compounding - thanks :)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management