vvwwvvwv: How bad is fever and sweating as a symptom of withdrawal?

vvwwvvwv

Hi, first post in here. I've been on 10mg Lexapro since September 2017. In January 2018, I tapered down to 5mg, took that for 2 weeks, then started taking it every other day. Then I started cutting the pills in half, to 2.5mg, and taking those only. 

This month, February, I've been taking 1~2mg every 2 days. I've been trying to get to 3 days without, but on the 3rd day of not taking a dose, I start getting feverish (hot flash? about a fever of 100f), sweating, and feeling pretty loopy. A few times now, I've taken a small dose as possible (about 2mg), and then the symptoms go away but then I have the crappy side effects from the Lexapro, mainly pretty bad stomachache... (the reason I'm stopping it is because the negatives outweigh the benefits now)

So, I wanna ask. How bad is this symptom of having a fever? Is it dangerous? I'd like to just push through it if possible. But I also want to be careful, so I've continued taking small doses, although it bothers me because I wish I  could stop by now. (back in July 2016, I went off Lexapro and it only took me 2 weeks. Then I went on to Remeron... then back to Lexapro again...)

-Lexapro, started August 2017. Started at 5mg. September 2017, increase to 10mg. Hold. January 14th 2018, taper to 7.5mg. 15th, to 5mg, hold. February 2nd 2018, to 2.5mg. 5th, started alternating days. 16th, lowered to 1~2mg (I am.. sloppy with cutting pills oops)

-Ambien 5mg as needed (Usually 10 times a month) since October 2015

-Adderall 5mg as needed (Currently on pause since January 2018.) 

Past: *-Xanax 0.25mg from September 2014 to April 2016 *-Mirtazapine 15mg from October 2014 to November 2014 *-Gabapentin1200mg from December 2014 to February 2015 -Paxil10mg for 2 weeks only in December 2014 (went to a mental ward and had to take it for a week while I was in there lol...) *-Lexapro5mg from September 2015 to July 2016*-Mirtazapineagain 15mg from September 2016 to August 2017

Supps and herbs: 1mg melatonin, 5000iu vitamin D, 1000mg? (or 2000) fish oil, 10mg CBD, cannabis (not everyday, mainly for anxiety and sleep)

• ChessieCat changed the title to vvwwvvwv: How bad is fever and sweating as a symptom of withdrawal?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi vw (for short) and welcome to SA,

What you are experiencing on the 3rd day is withdrawal.  This is because the level of the drug has gradually reduced since you took the last dose.  Have you noticed that next day after taking a dose you begin to feel a bit better?  Skipping days is NOT recommended.  The brain likes consistency.  Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

In the links below there is a Withdrawal Symptom list.  You may be experiencing symptoms which you haven't realised are caused by withdrawal from the drug.

Q:  Where you experiencing stomach ache before you started reducing?  An upset stomach is a withdrawal symptom for some people.

Q:  What side effects were you experiencing when taking Lexapro before you started reducing?

Q:  Are you taking any other drugs?  Please include these in your signature (instructions below)

Once you complete your signature and we can clearly see your the dates and doses we will be able to suggest a daily dose for you to take every day.  The more accurate the information you provide the better able we are to help you.  Please do not start taking every day the dose you currently take every 2nd of 3rd day.  It may be too high a dose for your brain.  It is better to take a small dose and then if the withdrawal symptoms remain unbearable to increase by a small amount than to take too much.  You would then take that dose for several months to stabilise and once you are stable you could then restart tapering.

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  This appears below every post you make.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  This is the preferred format which makes it easier for us to see your drug history at a glance:

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

I'm going to give you lots of links to check out.  Just work your way through them one at a time as you feel able.

SA recommends tapering by no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold at that dose for about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  This is because psychiatric drugs create a physiological dependence, not physical like caffeine or nicotine.

Patience is needed to get off these drugs.  We suggest throwing out the calendar and listening to your body and your symptoms.  If after 4 weeks you don't feel stable or life circumstances are a bit more stressful than usual (for example the Christmas period, winter time, or job change) it is generally better to stay at that dose for a bit longer until things settle down.

Please read the topics about talking to doctors before you see your own doctor (in green below)

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

Tapering Calculator - Online

It is best to make only 1 change at a time.  It is also better not to start taking a complex vitamin because if you experience issues you will not know what exactly is causing it.  B vitamins can be stimulating especially B6.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex  If trying anything new, start with a small amount to see how you react and build up to the recommended amount.  The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount one at a time to see how you react.

Even with a careful and slow taper you will most likely experience times of discomfort.  It is best to learn and use Non-drug techniques to cope

Please also be aware that many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go, either reducing by <10% of the previous dose and/or holding for longer.

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

As I said, lots of information, but I really want you to have what you need.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Cheesiecat, thanks for all the info and help! I realize now that I shouldn't have done every other day, haha. I started reading the posts and I was like "CRAP. I messed up." I heard from my doctor that alternating was ok, but then again, he said I didn't have to taper and I could've just stopped at 10mg. Then I asked about a taper and he said ok, 5mg for 2 weeks then stop... (yikes) 

I've withdrawn off a few other meds before but this one seems to be giving me more trouble. I've even stopped Lexapro before haha... (a big long story I guess but, my main issue was panic disorder. I actually took Xanax for a year and a half too and quit that as well, so SSRIs were then my only option for anxiety.) I've made a lot of improvements in getting exercise, talk therapy, CBT and DBT, and meditation so now the medication doesn't seem as nessecary. 

Oops, I rambled a bit. I figured that if I should take a dose now if I need to, it should probably be 1mg, I think? But I actually didn't take any yesterday so I'm onto day 4 without any now. I hope I'll be out of the woods soon. The hot flash went away so now my symptoms are just heartburn and headache. 

Thanks again, I've been reading a lot of the threads here, they're really helpful. I wish I knew about this before I started tapering. I never really knew how to taper, just that doses should be lowered, but I never knew for how long or by how much. 

-Lexapro, started August 2017. Started at 5mg. September 2017, increase to 10mg. Hold. January 14th 2018, taper to 7.5mg. 15th, to 5mg, hold. February 2nd 2018, to 2.5mg. 5th, started alternating days. 16th, lowered to 1~2mg (I am.. sloppy with cutting pills oops)

Past: *-Xanax 0.25mg from September 2014 to April 2016 *-Mirtazapine 15mg from October 2014 to November 2014 *-Gabapentin1200mg from December 2014 to February 2015 -Paxil10mg for 2 weeks only in December 2014 (went to a mental ward and had to take it for a week while I was in there lol...) *-Lexapro5mg from September 2015 to July 2016*-Mirtazapineagain 15mg from September 2016 to August 2017

Supps and herbs: 1mg melatonin, 5000iu vitamin D, 1000mg? (or 2000) fish oil, 10mg CBD, cannabis (not everyday, mainly for anxiety and sleep)

• Moderator Emeritus

You are very welcome.  I'm pleased that the information I gave provided some answers.  And solutions too.

6 minutes ago, vvwwvvwv said:

I've withdrawn off a few other meds before but this one seems to be giving me more trouble.

We have members here who have had no trouble in the past going off a drug the first time, going back on it and off it a second time okay  but are now having great difficulty.  It's because the effect of these drugs is cumulative.  Our central nervous system (CNS) becomes sensitised.

Claire Weekes was a doctor who suffered from anxiety and learned and taught was of coping.  There are many videos on YouTube.  Here is SA's topic:  Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Because I don't now the exact doses you have been taking I am unable to say that the 1mg is a suitable daily dose.  If you have been taking 1mg every 3-4 days you might find that 0.25mg or 0.5mg is enough. The idea of reinstating/updosing isn't to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms completely but to bring them to a bearable level.  Please read Post #1 of this topic.  It is about reinstating but is applicable to updosing as well About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

These might be helpful too:

Stabilising After a Reduction - What Does That Mean?

Withdrawal Normal Description

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks, I added a signature now, I hope it's readable. 

I never knew how much antidepressants could be damaging... argh, I only had to go on them because my doctors didn't want me only on benzos (even though I was aware of the addiction problem with them and took a whopping max of 0.25mg a day as needed for panic attacks.) 

Now my biggest problem is my ADHD and the Lexapro, before starting the taper at all, gave me stomachaches, made me sleepy all day, and I had to be so careful to get not freaking serotonin syndrome from taking both. So I couldn't take a higher dose of stimulants without worrying about it. Plus it's annoying I can't take Ibuprofen with Lexapro, it seems like it interacts with everything. :/ I can't even take some antibiotics with Lexapro because they interact. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for adding your signature.

Here is SA's discussion: cipro-levaquin-azithromycin-z-pack-and-other-antibiotics

Please put all the drugs you are currently taking in  Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results here in a post.

Drug Interactions:

Moderate: Using zolpidem together with escitalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. 

Eheh, I already check the interactions checker a lot... Also the antibiotics prescribed were a while ago, for a cold, and I just had to stick it out instead. It was zpak (azithromycin?). I didn't ask for a replacement because I was already days into the sickness, and I figured it was just a virus anyway. Plus I didn't care to call the doctors again and go to the pharmacy again and just waste time... (I'm kinda tired of dealing with doctors so much at this point)

Edited by ChessieCat
made interaction info clearer