Sign in to follow this  
peng

The antidepressant effectiveness controversy (UK)

peng

After speaking on the phone to the practice manager of the health centre of our town, she passed me her email (not available on website, by the way - it does not seem to encourage emails, surprise, surprise) and, apparently sympathetic and understanding, she agreed to circulate this link among our GPs.  I have been using this health centre since 1978.  Currently, and for the last couple of years, my GP is supporting my attempted tapering down of the beast that is Effexor.

Our GPs are mostly very good to us, but, it is clear to me, that they are firefighting and do not have the resources available to get people like us, support from, say, nutritionists and other potentially useful therapists.  Nor do they have the lived experience so many of us have acquired.

Here's hoping actions like this can someday help other desperate, suffering folks.   

At almost 73 I am not at my peak, but if even I can do this, perhaps many others can, too - maybe we can help turn the tide?

I have to confirm at this point that I am only doing this after gaining knowledge myself, through research, and that includes visiting the wonderful survivingantidepressants.org site, its admirable moderators, leader and fellow sufferers.

http://cepuk.org/2018/03/01/royal-college-psychiatrists-challenged-burying-inconvenient-antidepressant-data/

Vanora

Things have moved apace in that a formal complaint has now been lodged with the Royal College of Psychiatrists against its President Wendy Burn and the chair of its Psychopharmacology Committee Professor David Baldwin. They are charged with misleading the public over claims that AD withdrawal resolves within 2 weeks when on the RCPsych own website - document has subsequently been removed - they acknowledged that within their survey group anxiety lasted more than 12 weeks.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/03/formal-complaint-uk-royal-college-psychiatrists-2/ 

Professor John Read discusses the formal complaint with James Moore on his podcast.

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/03/professor-john-read-royal-college-psychiatrists-antidepressant-withdrawal/  

Snowyowl16

I am new here and just reading this. The complaint letter is fantastic. I am in the US and am embarrassed to say work in healthcare. Unfortunately our medical system is ruled by money. No one will sponsor a study to prove withdrawal symptoms exist because it would mean losing $ by big pharma. And, big pharma unfortunately sponsors way too much research. I have lost complete faith in our medical system. Follow the money..sad

Downbutnotout

Agree.