Sign in to follow this  
Altostrata

Australians! Do you live in New South Wales? Support this review of drug safety

Altostrata

Posting for Alison Vickery:

The New South Wales government is currently conducting an inquiry into the quality use of medications within the health system.

The Public Accounts Committee is conducting the review. You can find more details here; https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/committees/inquiries/Pages/inquiry-hearing.aspx?pk=7161

During the initial hearings evidence was taken in camera from CP2d6 deficient person injured from adverse drug reactions to anti-depressants. As a result of this evidence the Committee concluded they should be doing more and are taking additional evidence.

On 9 March 2018 the committee is conducting hearings on the failings of the health system in the quality use of medications. 

The first person, Professor Ric Day, is presenting a plan to make medications safer, including introducing pharmacogenomics. Professor Day has a record of helping and advocating people with psychiatric drug injuries.

As consumers, we can be heard, and we can support the people most able to bring about change. This will let the Government know that this is not an isolated incidence but a significant issue.

If you live in New South Wales would you please consider reinforcing the importance of this reform by sending an email to pac@parliament.nsw.gov.au. You can mark your email “my name is not to be disclosed.”

The email does not need to be complicated but can simply state that you have long-term health complications as a result of adverse drug reactions and you are imploring them to do more.

If you would like to watch the hearings (particularly Professor Day’s, and Professor John Allen the president of the RANZCP) you can do so at 10am AEST here https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Pages/home.aspx  On the right-hand side (about halfway down) there is "webcast" section. Click the arrow to listen.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kristine
22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

If you live in New South Wales would you please consider reinforcing the importance of this reform by sending an email to pac@parliament.nsw.gov.au. You can mark your email “my name is not to be disclosed.”

The email does not need to be complicated but can simply state that you have long-term health complications as a result of adverse drug reactions and you are imploring them to do more.

Thank you Alto for posting on behalf of Alison Vickery.  I understand that this is a NSW inquiry but would other Australian's be able to write an email?  I certainly have long term health complications as a result of adverse drug reactions. I guess it wouldn't hurt sending an email from Tasmania :) K

ChessieCat

Is this only for adverse drug reactions to anti-depressants or any AD issues including withdrawal?

Petalsmum
5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Is this only for adverse drug reactions to anti-depressants or any AD issues including withdrawal?

Any medication issues poorly handled by the NSW health system. The review is focused on 'the quality use of medications'. 

So not just anti-depressants ANY medications. 

Anything you think was poorly handled would be appropriate to address particularly if it has a long-term cost to the economy as this is a public accounts committee.  Let me know if you need to clarify anything.