Jump to content
anongrl5590

Any cold turkey success stories?

Recommended Posts

anongrl5590

Hello everyone!

 

I have CT'd from Prozac use since September 2017 (you can see my history in my signature). It's my 3rd month of withdrawals (but 4 months off Prozac completely) and I'm struggling to find hope that there's success in cold turkeying. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I'm honestly afraid to reinstate.

 

I've had waves and windows interchange so far, and I'm hoping the existence of the windows means I'm recovering. But I'm unsure. Can I keep cold turkeying and recover? Are there successes out there from CT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

Sorry meant September 2016, not 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sollicitudo

There are tons. Personally I know of my father who CTd prozac after about 6 months without any problems.

 

You haven't been drugged for very long so you should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

There are tons. Personally I know of my father who CTd prozac after about 6 months without any problems.

 

You haven't been drugged for very long so you should be fine.

 

 

I really, really hope so. The last 2 months have been hell though and I'm getting hit with major symptoms every other week so far. I am also 26 years old (not sure if age has to do anything with the recovery period) so I am hoping my recovery will be a bit quicker but again, I do not know when I will fully be myself again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coldturkmama

Time, unfortunately is a major factor in CT cases.  I am 3 years out and still experiencing windows/waves....and it is not a good time. It does get better, more tolerable, etc.  I was on the drug 15 yrs tho, so my case is different, I am sure you'll  heal faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliG

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

Time, unfortunately is a major factor in CT cases.  I am 3 years out and still experiencing windows/waves....and it is not a good time. It does get better, more tolerable, etc.  I was on the drug 15 yrs tho, so my case is different, I am sure you'll  heal faster.

 

I'm sorry you have experienced all this, even 3 years out. It definitely is hard but have you find yourself improving so far? Are the windows getting longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

Yeah I hope I'll be the exception too but I know everyone's bodies are different. I heard that even for those who have quit just for a month or 2, they still can be in WD for a long time. How have you been holding up so far? Have you improved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhySSRI

All I can do is hold on to dear life day at a time.  It's all I can do.  

But hoping and praying I get a window it's about time.

 

Held on six months and I can't say I haven't thought about reinstating but I won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
excuse

Two of my friends Cold Turkey'd SSRi with out any issues after 3 and 6 months of consumption.

This cold turkey stuff depends upon person to person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliG

 

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

Yeah I hope I'll be the exception too but I know everyone's bodies are different. I heard that even for those who have quit just for a month or 2, they still can be in WD for a long time. How have you been holding up so far? Have you improved?

 

Yes. I'm miles ahead. Some days are still rough but it's always heading on an upward trajectory and I'm nearly there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

Two of my friends Cold Turkey'd SSRi with out any issues after 3 and 6 months of consumption.

This cold turkey stuff depends upon person to person.

Dang I wish I was part of that exception. I am still suffering SEVERELY with so many symptoms going in and out since I CT'd 7 months ago. I have friends who used to take SSRIs before and came off with no issues. One of them did taper properly though I think. The other one did a sloppy taper after she used Prozac for 4 years and did ok with no discomfort. I can't believe I'm in this predicament...

 

 

 

 

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

Yeah I hope I'll be the exception too but I know everyone's bodies are different. I heard that even for those who have quit just for a month or 2, they still can be in WD for a long time. How have you been holding up so far? Have you improved?

 

Yes. I'm miles ahead. Some days are still rough but it's always heading on an upward trajectory and I'm nearly there.

 

That's so good to hear, Ali! I see you're 3 years off now. What symptoms are you experiencing now? Did you notice any turning points in your recovery and when those happened for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliG

3 years at the end of this month. So many symptoms have gone  - dizziness, cortisol awakenings, palpitations,insomia but some remain - neuro-emotions, anhedonia, and occasional depression and anxiety.

 

I seemed to go in monthly waves for a while but I noticed a huge improvement at the 2- year mark. Since then I have regressed to a degree but I think that is due to life stressors. 

 

I was on the AD's for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590

3 years at the end of this month. So many symptoms have gone  - dizziness, cortisol awakenings, palpitations,insomia but some remain - neuro-emotions, anhedonia, and occasional depression and anxiety.

 

I seemed to go in monthly waves for a while but I noticed a huge improvement at the 2- year mark. Since then I have regressed to a degree but I think that is due to life stressors. 

 

I was on the AD's for many years.

 

I see. I'm glad to hear you saw a big improvement at 2 years out and that many of your symptoms have gone away. Are you working right now? How did you cope with the symptoms since you quit CT? The only things working for me so far are distractions (by hanging out with friends, doing homework, watching Netflix, walking outside) and sometimes a hot bath. But nothing else like meditation or yoga or even supplements help me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greyed

There are tons.

Too bad it's still nothing here from a member who isn't speaking for someone they know in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coldturkmama

I'm 3.5 yrs out from a cold turkey. I was on Paxil 20 mg for 14 or 15 yrs and then upped to 40 mg for 8 months when I stopped.

I had stopped and started the medication before, but always returned to it thinking it was me- not withdrawal.

Slowly but surely- the brain heals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sollicitudo

 

There are tons.

 

Too bad it's still nothing here from a member who isn't speaking for someone they know in life.

Why would someone who quit ADs without any problems come here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lorin

I'm 3.5 yrs out from a cold turkey. I was on Paxil 20 mg for 14 or 15 yrs and then upped to 40 mg for 8 months when I stopped.

I had stopped and started the medication before, but always returned to it thinking it was me- not withdrawal.

Slowly but surely- the brain heals.

how you know its you and not your wd?

thanx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coldturkmama

Withdrawal caused brain zaps, I never had those before. Stomach cramps, intense anxiety like I'd never had before, intrusive thoughts, the need to be up moving, cold chills, shaking, flu like symptoms and shin pain, and more- I knew it was not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PeppermintWind

It just seems if Prozac is causing agitation or hypomania (as in my case), slow tapering does not make sense. I have heard that Prozac is self tapering, but there are too many stories of people who suffer withdrawals when they go cold turkey. I plan to do the 10% method, anyway, as I have another medicine to help if I get too agitated.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gridley

Hi, Peppermintwind, and welcome to SurvivingAntidepressants.  I'm glad you found your way here.

 

We ask all of our members to fill out a signature so that all of your information can be read at a glance without having to go to this original post each time.  Your signature will appear at the bottom of each of your posts.  This helps moderators understand your situation.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

 

 •    Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
 •    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
 •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
 •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
 •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

     
To get you started, and familiarized with the protocols followed by SA, I am linking a couple of topics so that you have a better understanding of what is recommended here and the steps that you can take to minimize your withdrawal.  

 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gridley

Peppermintwind, I have moved your first post to SA's Introductions and Updates forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kesh

I have CTd or fast tapered SSRIs and TCAs many times with no problems.

 

I am here in SA because for the first time I have a big problem on an SSRI. I guess my luck ran out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 1/7/2017 at 11:48 AM, AliG said:

A Girl - It's so hard to say.  Everyone is different but I have found that on average it seems to be around the three - five  year mark for C/T . Maybe you will be the exception . I hope so. You can keep Cold turkeying and recover but it takes time and patience. Perhaps more than you ever thought that you had.

3-5 years? Is this dependent on dosage and time you took the medication or does it seem to take much longer because of the C/T?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hellbutrin
On 5/6/2017 at 12:32 PM, AliG said:

3 years at the end of this month. So many symptoms have gone  - dizziness, cortisol awakenings, palpitations,insomia but some remain - neuro-emotions, anhedonia, and occasional depression and anxiety.

 

I seemed to go in monthly waves for a while but I noticed a huge improvement at the 2- year mark. Since then I have regressed to a degree but I think that is due to life stressors. 

 

I was on the AD's for many years.

Have you seen any improvement in your anhedonia?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AliG

HB. I'm sorry, I only just saw this. I never noticed the January post (above) at the time.

 

To try and answer both questions - firstly, I don't really know if it is a matter of dosage, time on drugs, cold - turkey or perhaps and most likely, all of them combined. All I can really say is that this has been my experience. Even generalizing about length of time can be tricky as we all have our own individual timelines. It varies widely and greatly. From what I have seen and experienced though, this C/T process does take some considerable time. Having said that, tapering also involves time and a certain amount of patience. These qualities become highly valued skills during this process, whether you cold -turkey-ed or tapered. It's still character - building.  :rolleyes:

 

For me, I had many C/T'S over a long period of time whilst on and off the drugs over 20 something, odd years. This is largely what I put my length of recovery time down to, for me individually. My CNS was ... highly challenged, even before my final cold - turkey ( before SA). It was obvious to me then, that this wouldn't be fixed overnight. I knew that was going to have to put in some hard work, both with non- drug techniques and also acceptance.

 

Your second question is much easier to answer, as lately, I have really gone ahead in " leaps and bounds" in the anhedonia department. It's not perfect yet ~ and I can still struggle at certain times, particularly during waves, but the difference is really like "night and day". It is major improvement and so much has now disappeared. It was a symptom that I have really struggled with and has been one of the last to start to recede but as with all the other symptoms, it is virtually non- existent, now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
neurotransmission

You guys can do a fast taper off with supplements and other drug augmentations. and continue with johns wort when drug is out of your system.

i dont know why u guys are not using anything and complaining about witrawall messing with all those nightmares.

 

you can add creatine, ibuprofen, celecoxibe, zinc, magnesium, NAC, fish oil,  all of them at the same time for maximum effect.

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496103

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23419244

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796297/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4624319/

 

btw go  to gym run at treadmill at very high speeds breath deep and slow down for 3-5 minutes repeat this for 45-60 minutes 3-4 times a week. this will reset your brain.  and do some 5x5 training.

Dont forget : sedentary people have sedentary brains

http://slideplayer.com/slide/9343941/

https://www.google.com.tr/search?ei=fAuCWp_nO8q3sQGW8o7QAg&q=sedentary+brain&oq=sedentary+brain&gs_l=psy-ab.3...47739.47739.0.47874.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.3hMuh7T2Iwg.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pennylane34

I cold turkeyed.  It's dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it.  But I recovered and I'm sure you will as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rupa
On 1/4/2017 at 2:19 AM, anongrl5590 said:

Hello everyone!

 

I have CT'd from Prozac use since September 2017 (you can see my history in my signature). It's my 3rd month of withdrawals (but 4 months off Prozac completely) and I'm struggling to find hope that there's success in cold turkeying. I know it's not the best thing to do, but I'm honestly afraid to reinstate.

 

I've had waves and windows interchange so far, and I'm hoping the existence of the windows means I'm recovering. But I'm unsure. Can I keep cold turkeying and recover? Are there successes out there from CT?

How are you now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anongrl5590
On 3/11/2018 at 1:00 AM, rupa said:

How are you now?

 

Hi there -

Well I am about 18 months out since my CT. I still have about half of the symptoms I started out with but they are progressively getting better although VERY slowly. A lot of my physical symptoms have improved but I still have some that still hit me pretty hard every now and then. Mainly my mental symptoms are the ones that are driving me nuts. I don't really get much of a break from the mental symptoms. I am just chugging along everyday trying to survive as usual. But again, I have noticed improvements. I am definitely not where I was few months ago. I hope things keep progressing in the right direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Downbutnotout
On 2/12/2018 at 5:36 AM, AliG said:

HB. I'm sorry, I only just saw this. I never noticed the January post (above) at the time.

 

To try and answer both questions - firstly, I don't really know if it is a matter of dosage, time on drugs, cold - turkey or perhaps and most likely, all of them combined. All I can really say is that this has been my experience. Even generalizing about length of time can be tricky as we all have our own individual timelines. It varies widely and greatly. From what I have seen and experienced though, this C/T process does take some considerable time. Having said that, tapering also involves time and a certain amount of patience. These qualities become highly valued skills during this process, whether you cold -turkey-ed or tapered. It's still character - building.  :rolleyes:

 

For me, I had many C/T'S over a long period of time whilst on and off the drugs over 20 something, odd years. This is largely what I put my length of recovery time down to, for me individually. My CNS was ... highly challenged, even before my final cold - turkey ( before SA). It was obvious to me then, that this wouldn't be fixed overnight. I knew that was going to have to put in some hard work, both with non- drug techniques and also acceptance.

 

Your second question is much easier to answer, as lately, I have really gone ahead in " leaps and bounds" in the anhedonia department. It's not perfect yet ~ and I can still struggle at certain times, particularly during waves, but the difference is really like "night and day". It is major improvement and so much has now disappeared. It was a symptom that I have really struggled with and has been one of the last to start to recede but as with all the other symptoms, it is virtually non- existent, now.

Good for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rupa
On 3/13/2018 at 10:50 AM, anongrl5590 said:

 

Hi there -

Well I am about 18 months out since my CT. I still have about half of the symptoms I started out with but they are progressively getting better although VERY slowly. A lot of my physical symptoms have improved but I still have some that still hit me pretty hard every now and then. Mainly my mental symptoms are the ones that are driving me nuts. I don't really get much of a break from the mental symptoms. I am just chugging along everyday trying to survive as usual. But again, I have noticed improvements. I am definitely not where I was few months ago. I hope things keep progressing in the right direction. 

Very nice to hear that you noticed some improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Liamb123456
On 16/2/2018 at 6:19 PM, Pennylane34 said:

I cold turkeyed.  It's dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it.  But I recovered and I'm sure you will as well.

How long until you recoverd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gerg

Listen as best you can 

Do what is possible 

Listen to your body as a friend 

Take everything in, do what everyone asks that is good for you.

Learn, dont stand still, walk straight, go forward, love yourself, be kind.

Smell the roses.

Just remember, "DON'T DON'T" be gullable to any and all ideas then you "can" win.

Stay on top.

I did.

From the one who calls himself after 20+48 yrs of many, many a tablet.

The "Nolongerbipolar  one"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daybydaystepbystep

I went off olanzapine (zyprexa) and abilify cold turkey as well.  It was very difficult for 3 months but I recovered and do not miss the psychiatric drugs at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Altostrata
On 2/12/2018 at 2:04 PM, neurotransmission said:

You guys can do a fast taper off with supplements and other drug augmentations. and continue with johns wort when drug is out of your system.

i dont know why u guys are not using anything and complaining about witrawall messing with all those nightmares.

 

you can add creatine, ibuprofen, celecoxibe, zinc, magnesium, NAC, fish oil,  all of them at the same time for maximum effect.

 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496103

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23419244

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3796297/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4624319/

 

btw go  to gym run at treadmill at very high speeds breath deep and slow down for 3-5 minutes repeat this for 45-60 minutes 3-4 times a week. this will reset your brain.  and do some 5x5 training.

Dont forget : sedentary people have sedentary brains

http://slideplayer.com/slide/9343941/

https://www.google.com.tr/search?ei=fAuCWp_nO8q3sQGW8o7QAg&q=sedentary+brain&oq=sedentary+brain&gs_l=psy-ab.3...47739.47739.0.47874.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.3hMuh7T2Iwg.

 

8

 

Do not under any circumstances assume any of these crutches will compensate for cold turkey or substitute for gradual tapering. We have seen NONE of them work reliably.

 

Recovery from cold turkey is unpredictable. There is no way to predict severity or length of recovery from the amount of time you've been on the drug or dosage amount.

 

Cold-turkey is a very high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs. The risk is severe and prolonged withdrawal syndrome. Do not assume it will be easy for you because it was easy for a friend or someone you read about on the Web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.