America is not enough! What should I do?

EdNaFargo

I have lived in the U.S. for over 35 years. I can't complain too much. It could have been much better, though, were it not for modern psychiatry. I've been to NYC twice, out west, California, down South, up North, etc. I have pretty much seen all that I have wanted to see in America except for Hawaii. But now, at this point in my life, I want something new and different. I am at the end of a severe protracted withdrawal (almost 4 years long). I would consider myself 90% healed. I am beyond grateful for that. However, through all those years of suffering, it made me realize that I do NOT much care for my country anymore. In fact, I have never considered myself truly an American. I am not proud of my country although I do not exactly hate it. It is a deeply divided, troubled, and rigged country. With each passing year, it gets worse. I realize no country is perfect but I just want to try something new. Live some place new. Experience altogether new things!

I have always wanted to visit tropical Asia and plan to next summer. Either the Philippines and/or Thailand. I love nature and Asian women and very few places come close to the beauty of such places. Would you make the venture if you were in my shoes?

• ChessieCat changed the title to America is not enough! What should I do?

Yes. I too very much want to leave this country, for many of the same reasons you do. I've researched So America, especially Ecuador, a beautiful, simple place, along with Peru. I hear Costa Rica has a high happiness index. I cannot leave now as I'm in the thick of my career, but am longing to retire overseas, at least part-time, within the next few years. I say, if you can pull it off, go for it, but do your homework first.  There are websites that help people move overseas, e.g., international living and liveandinvestoverseas.com   

This country is staggering in its beauty and potential, and I believe most people are good and well-meaning, but the culture is hyper-individualistic, competitive, cruel, deceptive, anti-human, and treacherous.  This type of culture breeds anxiety and depression and other mental health problems. The government is hopelessly corrupt and in bed with the corporations. Everything you hear from the mainstream media is a lie. And the population on the whole, except for the very wealthy, suffers from battered woman syndrome.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

DrugfreeProf,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful response and advice. Everything you mentioned about America I could not agree more with!! Few could argue with those facts. Yes, I have heard the same things about some parts of South America. Which country are you leaning towards out of those you mentioned if you decide to move over there? How long have you been drug free?

The problem is, I don’t want to be a slave to a corporation for the rest of my life, trying to make it to the top or get ahead. It’s practically pointless. And creating a successful business is merely impossible these days! I don’t like the system; it is a form of slavery and I want out of it before it ruins me. Even if I was lucky enough to make it, I’d be old and probably deep into health problems by then.

I long for peace and true happiness which are priceless. I have already been so corrupted by hatred and divisions in this country it makes me sick. I want out. I never even bother with politics or the news for the exact reasons you mentioned!

Furthermore, as you basically alluded to, the super wealthy (I believe) want a divided, dumb, and  uninformed society so the wealth and power never trickles down. It will only get worse! Ignorance is bliss (when I was young) but now that I know exactly what America is and how it works there is no turning back for me!!

If I somehow came into millions it might make me happy but only for a short while. It wouldn’t change all that much, honestly. Yet, I dream (perhaps as you might also), of a quiet, peaceful, and happy life of modesty somewhere in a beautiful natural setting such as tropical paradise Asia or Hawaii. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, there, glad we see eye to eye on this!  I bet you a lot of people are feeling this way these days about the good-ole USA. Used to be a great country. Now, not so much.

We are the worst at a lot of things.

I lean toward Ecuador, which I've visited and absolutely fell in love with. My preference would be Cuenca, which houses a good number of ex-pats.

I've heard good things about Costa Rica but haven't visited yet.

I also visited Peru and Machu Piccu---just incredible beauty--but I still lean toward Ecuador.

Lots of people talk about how amazing and inexpensive Asia is--Thailand especially,

I'm sure there is an up side and a down side to wherever you go and that you trade one set of problems for another.

Still . . .the US is not what it used to be and I feel like a fish out of water here.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

• Mentor
On 4/1/2018 at 9:14 AM, EdNaFargo said:

I long for peace and true happiness which are priceless.

Amen! Love this thread, thanks for the great info.

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

From an outsider looking in and one who has never visited the "States" but, has in his travelling plans once this withdrawal crap shoot is over,

it appears that the United States of 'Merica has the best of everything but at the same time has the worst of everything......(no offense to you crazy "Mericans, just my opinion from an outsider looking in)

I am sure there is plenty in the middle ground but a lot of what I see (obviously from mainstream media outlets) is what I have stated above.

We in Australia are starting to develop a lot of similar issues like in the U.S.A but we are still a bit of a mixed bag. We are still a very young nation with a heavy European, albeit recent, influence. Australia seems to be adopting a lot of the USA which is a little disappointing in some respects because we are losing a (relatively) carefree, easy going and laidback lifestyle and are going from the "No worries cobber" to the "how can you find a way to relieve you of your money" and "my house is bigger than yours" and "my cars are better than yours" attitude. We used to have friendly loving neighbours who were pretty much part of the family and you always knew all the kids in the street.   

Those days are long gone.........very sad

Zoloft: Sometime early in 2014 Three days only. Torture!

Lexapro: Early 2015- Mid 2015 10mg

Lexapro: Mid 2015-March 2017 20mg

Tapered too fast, Withdrawal started through April-June 2017. Told by Doctor that it was rebound anxiety and have now developed MDD

Pristiq: July 2017-October 2017 50mg (total 56 days)

Lexapro: October 2017-October 2017 10mg (6 days)

Lexapro: October 2017-October 2017 20mg (5 days)

COLD TURKEY>>>>>>>>>>>>October 11,2017

Interesting thread.

Scotland has a lot going for it, but a big story just now is the soaring number of kids with ADHD, autism, depression and the limited non-drug resources available to help them.

So getting the same as other "bad" places.

By the way, must get round to watching the classic "Fargo" DVD soon, OP!  I bought it a while ago.

Remember, "Trainspotting" was filmed and conceived in our small country (5.5million pop), so we know about the dark sides of life, too.

Best wishes, all, wherever you are.

Maybe, above all, it is only love that really matters?

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Absolutely! America is far past its best days. I long for the 80’s and 90’s when TV, movies, and music were still quality, original, and innovative. Americans were just Americans regardless of race, gender, political party, etc. I was proud of America. I simply can’t say that now! Social media and smartphones were non existent (I like new tech as much as anyone but it’s doing a number on society). The middle class was strong as ever. The Bill Clinton years, as I now look back, were golden. I love diversity as much as anyone else but when people don’t assimilate and stick with their own groups and only advocate for their own race or ethnicity-diversity fails! It’s a disaster waiting to happen if the trend continues. Again, the super rich want this. Divide and conquer. 

Peru and Ecuador sound amazing!! Sounds like you have a plan when you can retire! I wish you nothing but the best in your pursuits! You’re definitely not alone feeling like a fish out of water in NYC I would imagine. I visited there twice. Would never live there but a decent place to visit. Would have been great to live there in the 80s or 90s, however. 

It’s ironic you brought up Thailand as I have been researching the country for a while now! Looks beautiful, peaceful, and exciting. The countryside (like the Philippines) looks serene and majestic! I could get used to that easy! Definitely planning a visit there if and when I go to the Philippines. 

14 hours ago, PSVT said:

From an outsider looking in and one who has never visited the "States" but, has in his travelling plans once this withdrawal crap shoot is over,

it appears that the United States of 'Merica has the best of everything but at the same time has the worst of everything......(no offense to you crazy "Mericans, just my opinion from an outsider looking in)

I am sure there is plenty in the middle ground but a lot of what I see (obviously from mainstream media outlets) is what I have stated above.

We in Australia are starting to develop a lot of similar issues like in the U.S.A but we are still a bit of a mixed bag. We are still a very young nation with a heavy European, albeit recent, influence. Australia seems to be adopting a lot of the USA which is a little disappointing in some respects because we are losing a (relatively) carefree, easy going and laidback lifestyle and are going from the "No worries cobber" to the "how can you find a way to relieve you of your money" and "my house is bigger than yours" and "my cars are better than yours" attitude. We used to have friendly loving neighbours who were pretty much part of the family and you always knew all the kids in the street.   

Those days are long gone.........very sad

That IS very sad to hear how Australia has become like America! If I were an Aussie....that is the last thing I would have wanted for my country!!! Very sad indeed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We moved to Ecuador eight years ago.  The climate is good (we live in the mountains), it's inexpensive, and the Ecuadorians are friendly and helpful.  We also looked at Peru, Uruguay, Bolivia and Argentina.  It's probably the easiest country in Latin America to get a residency visa.  DrugfreeProf, we lived in Cuenca for two years and liked it.  Lots of infrastructure and ex-pats.  Now we live on top of a mountain up from a tiny pueblo with a kind of New Age vibe--lots of alternative healers and spiritual teachers and seminars.     

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy