SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marsx: I'm suffering so badly after cold turkey

Marsx

• Moderator Emeritus

Please clarify how much amitriptyline you are on.

27 minutes ago, Marsx said:

April 5th- started amitriptyline, had to lower to .5ml. Felt better but inner restlessness/Akathisia started

28 minutes ago, Marsx said:

April 27 - took 4.75ml of meds, cutting down from 5ml and kept it at 4.75

On 4/16/2018 at 5:52 AM, Marsx said:

I'm taking 1mg of amitriptyline(was on 150mg when I CT) now and it has improved my withdrawal a lot. I'm still having tremors and heart issues but I have no options at this point.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:31 AM, Marsx said:

I'm now very stable on .5ml of amitriptyline, which extremely helps my withdrawal symptoms.

In your last post dated today, you state you were on .5 ml on April 5 and then went to 4.75 ml on April 27.

However, in the above post dated 4/16/2018, you state you were on 1 mg and felt better. And then on 4/18/2018, you state you are on .5ml and were, in your words feeling "extremely" better.

My guess is you're feeling worse from bouncing your doses around so much. You seemed to be doing better at the lower dose, which is what we posted when you first came to the forum.

Please see Alto's comment about that from the first page of your thread:

On 4/3/2018 at 1:42 PM, Altostrata said:

If 4mg amitriptyline causes tremors, try 1mg. Yes, we do see sometimes that people are so sensitive, a reinstatement of 1mg or even less is all they can tolerate. 1mg might even be effective for sleep. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marsx

• Altostrata

• BAT

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be so confusing. I haven't been bouncing around. .5ml is the liquid equivalent of 1mg. I settled on .5ml since april 5, cutting down a tiny bit on April 27th- April 29th. 

I also just read on the Akathisia page that magnesium caused a paradoxical reaction in one person causing Akathisia. Last night I put A LOT of episom salt in my bath as I was reading in an insomnia post with that recommendation. So it could also be that (hopefully). But so many factors contributing. I think today I won't make a further cut but maybe split up my dose. 

Epsom salt helped my muscle pain so much, but maybe it was too much and is causing the akathisia?

Various  ADs: 2007-2011

Seroquel- 500mg: Jan, 2011 - Jan, 2013

Amitriptyline- 150mg: Jan, 2013 - Jan, 2017, stopped Cold Turkey

Clonazepam: 1mg on and off: 2014- March 2018

Reinstate amitriptyline- 5mg April 1, 2018 

1mg Amitriptyline - April 14, 2018 onwards

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for clarifying, Marsx.

As the case with all supplements (including epsom salts), it's best to start with a small amount and work your way up. I would only add 1/4 or 1/2 a cup if you do try epsom salts again. You may also find that simply taking a warm bath helps without adding the salts.

Moving your dose is best done one hour a day. Simply move 50% of your dose from, for example, 9 pm to 8 pm the first night. And then take 50% at 9 pm and 50% at 7 pm the second night and 50% at 9 pm and 50% at 6 pm the following night, and so forth until you've spaced the doses 12 hours apart. This is the gentlest on your nervous system.

Please keep a drug and symptoms journal and post it here in your thread.

Symptoms and drug journal format

As you move your dose, your symptoms may be a clue as to how to proceed going forward. The drug and symptoms journal will really help.

16 minutes ago, Shep said:

Thanks for clarifying, Marsx.

As the case with all supplements (including epsom salts), it's best to start with a small amount and work your way up. I would only add 1/4 or 1/2 a cup if you do try epsom salts again. You may also find that simply taking a warm bath helps without adding the salts.

Moving your dose is best done one hour a day. Simply move 50% of your dose from, for example, 9 pm to 8 pm the first night. And then take 50% at 9 pm and 50% at 7 pm the second night and 50% at 9 pm and 50% at 6 pm the following night, and so forth until you've spaced the doses 12 hours apart. This is the gentlest on your nervous system.

Please keep a drug and symptoms journal and post it here in your thread.

Symptoms and drug journal format

As you move your dose, your symptoms may be a clue as to how to proceed going forward. The drug and symptoms journal will really help.

Thanks a lot for the dose splitting advice! I will do so.

Also, for anyone wondering, i found many more posts on this forum by people who reacted with Akathisia to epsom salt baths. Will definitely cut it down and seems like the most likely factor. 

• Administrator

What do you mean by "akathisia"? Please describe symptoms rather than using medical terminology.

What time of day do these symptoms start? Are they better or worse at certain times of day?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...

The Akathisia is full blown now. When I started the amitriptyline, it was inner agitation but I didn't understand it. Like agitation in my face. Over time it lead to pacing and now i can't even sit. I need to CT the amitriptyline. Its been one month. This is not a symptom that is bearable. But I wonder if CT will make it worse. I've come down to .4ml 

• Administrator

Sorry, your guess is as good as mine.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello Mares.  Sorry you are going through this.  I know your looking to make the right decision and it is hard to know what that is.  Did the akathsia get worse when you went down to .4ml? When did you make the cut to .4ml and how long has the akathisa gotten worse?

I know you are looking for guidance on what to do and hopefully people on here can give their opinions or experiences.  But, still after that, you have to make the right decision for yourself.  I know it's so scary!

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

May 2017 feeling horrible and more intense symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Akathesia has gone down tremendously. Thankful I didn't reinstate too high. But I think I got it from an epsom salt bath but attributed if to the reinstatement. Too many changes recently. I have slight inner tremors still but can deal! Overall feeling much better for once!! Crazy I wrote that I had insomnia in the op and that's completely gone. 

• Administrator

Good to hear you're doing better. Please be aware of The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

Marsx, I strongly recommend you take up meditation or radical acceptance therapy or some technique to keep you calm when you hit rough spots. When you say you're in an emergency situation, we have no choice but to recommend you seek local help. There's not much an Internet forum can do about emergencies, we maintain anonymity and don't even know your real name.

Our members also become alarmed when they see people in extreme states. Please be considerate. You probably can expect more waves of intense symptoms. Report them as objectively as possible. You're going to have to learn to surf the waves. Read

Neuro-emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

I have to objectively say that reinstatement was a bad idea at 14 months out. Im not sure why I kept with it . I tapered off and the  symptoms got worse. But the brain heals and I hope it can heal after this too. I highly recommend people stay away from other forums. This is the only forum worth joining and if cold turkey I think it's better not joining a forum at all. The suffering of others made me much worse then I originally was. I completely understand why the mods try to get people to remain calm now in their posts. I have only gotten worse mentally with time. The physical symptoms are tolerable. They always were especially when I first joined this forum and I wish I had radically accepted my condition fhdn. I try to radically accept now by telling myself that things could be worse. Things can always get worse. I also think of others who have coped through withdrawal. Coldturkeymama is a good example of a positive person who remains very objective even 4 years out. Hers is a good thread to read if any.

I wish I didn't spend 2 months reading horror stories. Im just writing this as strong advice to anyone, do not read into it. Ive read too much and taken too little advice from this forum. 

I went to the hospital and was reinstated with a benzo and it worked. I think my protracted withdrawal was from an antidepressant and not from my benzo. Is it still possible to heal from antidepressant withdrawal when on a benzo? Obviously I don't want to be on a benzo. I'm just not coping after the failed reinstatement. The depression is not letting up. The physical symptoms were bearable. It's the depression I seem to be unable to cope with. It's my fault I find acceptance very hard after reading all the horror stories. Can anyone that went cold turkey shed light on how you deal with day to day. I left my job and I think that was the biggest mistake. It was a stressful job but I worked through the first 13 months of withdrawal. I was much much better off then because I was distracted from myself with the stress of my job. I feel incapable of returning to my job but Im going to try just to deal and cope.

• Administrator

The reason we warn people not to cold turkey is because it so often results in severe withdrawal symptoms.

Good to hear you are feeling better on a benzo. If you cannot take up meditation or radical acceptance therapy or some technique to keep you calm on your own, you still need to seek face-to-face help for your depression and suicidal ideation. We really can't help you with that here.

If you should have side effects from the benzo, please discuss that with your doctors. We don't deal with re-medication issues.

5 hours ago, Marsx said:

. I left my job and I think that was the biggest mistake. It was a stressful job but I worked through the first 13 months of withdrawal. I was much much better off then because I was distracted from myself with the stress of my job. I feel incapable of returning to my job but Im going to try just to deal and cope.

Hi,

I am also CTed on many medications. I know how tough it is or say hell it is..

About the job part,

I did the same 30 months back, didnt know how long it will take then. I thought  I will be better off stress at home and will get better in a month or two, completely unaware of wdl and its dangers...

Just to say, the decision you  or any other had made was under false impression of no wdl so long. 

So, please accept you were not at fault. You were told wrong or you were unaware, thats it.

And you will get better.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda
  • 11 months later...

How are you doing now @Marsx?

- 2003 to 2015: celexa, 20 mg, ~12 years

- 2015: easy switch off celexa and onto cymbalta, 30mg

(over a decade of fantastic years in here, with one anxiety/depressive episode brought on by a breakup, which I got through with therapy, tools, etc)

- 2017: Nov/December: tapered off cymbalta, 20mg --> 0, over 1.5 mo. in conjunction with my (former) psychiatrist. Zero date: 12/15/17

(I was just sort of curious to try being off meds after so many (great) years. I wondered the degree to which meds may have been affecting my sex drive/orgasm/access to deeper emotions. After going off was ok for about 3 mo... then: horrible anxiety, panic attacks (first time in 14 years and way stronger than I ever had before), agitation, suicidal depression, crushing physical sensation, anhedonia, dp/dr, emotional numbness. Horrible.)

- 2018, July 21: Tried going back on celexa, 5mg

(HORRIBLE adverse reaction, discontinued after 10 days, stopped 7/31/18, thought I would need to be hospitalized)

- 2018, Aug 3: Tried remeron, got up to 15mg for 14 days, then tapered back down to 3.5 mg/d (super sedating, couldn't think and could feel even less)

- 2018, Sept 7 - Oct: Restarted Cymbalta, ~4mg (sept 9, stopped the 3.5 mg of remeron). Went up to 13 mg Cymbalta, then right back down to 4.5mg.

(Now see it as withdrawal and am wanting to get off and heal.)