Dabhob33

Dabhob33's Daughter - ADD

Dabhob33

Hello

my daughter had been diagnosed with ADD when she was 9 (she’s now 11).   She’s tried basically every stimulant and non stimulant ADD drug.  None worked.   The psychiatrist put her in Lamictal and Wellbutrin in early Jan 2017.   She was taken off over a week’s time between Jan and Feb 2018.   Can’t recall the exact timing (ashamed to say).   

She has had daily outbursts for the past few years.   No coincidence that she’s been on and off meds that whole time.  She originally went on to help control her focus.  Now she’s raging.  

To be fair, she’s always had quite a temper, but it seems to have escalated.   Could also be preteen issues as well.  

To top it off, my wife wants to put her on another AD.   When I try to explain to her the possible  connection between the drugs and her behavior, she will not listen.    

My wife’s perspective is consistent between my situation and my daughter’s.   The meds aren’t the problem, we are.  And we can be fixed by the meds.  Any info I provide to her is dismissed - not even considered.   There’s no getting through to her.   Any video, post, article is dismissed.     

This adds to my stress exponentially.    I’m extremely concerned for my daughter’s health.  And I’m having trouble coping with this.    

Shep
On 3/24/2018 at 8:37 PM, Dabhob33 said:

My 11 yr old daughter has taken my “journey” the hardest in our household.  She’s extremely angry and depressed.  She was diagnosed ADD when she was 7 and has tried every related drug.   She s even tried Wellbutrin (for a year)  and lamictal most recently.   She is now off all drugs.   

Her anger and depression and attention issues have only gotten worse.  My wife wants her to go on an AD or mood stabilizer.   I refuse to put her on meds, but I am not sure what to do.   Are there any resources you could recommend?     I’m involved in NAMI.  

On 3/25/2018 at 3:09 AM, JanCarol said:

NAMI is very pro-drugging, as they are a grass roots organisation funded and supported by pharmaceutical companies.  (ref:  Robert Whitaker, "Anatomy of an Epidemic")

I would also encourage your daughter to not use diag-nonsense words, as they take away her responsibility for her own behaviours.  Instead of saying, "It's just my ADHD" she needs to say, "I'm really restless," or "I don't want to go in there, I'm afraid of . . . "  or "I hate school,  nobody seems to like me."  Find out what is distressing her, and work on solutions - whether internal for her - or external with school and teachers.  Acting out is often a symptom of a distress or conflict which she will have trouble putting to words.  It's hard for adults to put these things into words!  How much harder to be a child and struggling with these intense feelings?  Encourage her to use art and journalling to express herself.  Allow her journal total privacy, but offer the opportunity for her to share her insights verbally with you once she's worked them out.  

I strongly recommend daily magnesium baths, as that's what the natural folks use for full-blown autism here.  You can use Epsom Salts or Magnesium Chloride, or both - depending on what is available to you.  Epsom Salts is cheaper, but I have a good bulk supplier of Mag Chloride which makes it so that I can have 2-4 cups of salt in a bath and it is really calming.  The bathwater should be as close to body temperature as possible for absorption (a little warmer for comfort is fine).  If this is all that she needs, then you may go to an "as needed" basis.  (you might benefit from magnesium baths, too - I compare a good Mag chloride bath with a small dose of valium - only it is nourishing instead of depleting!).

There is a lot being done here in Australia - and America too - with dietary interventions for ADD.  Heal the gut, heal the mind, settle the nerves.  There is a special department at a University in Melbourne for gut-mind health.  The GAPS protocol is a good place to start - it's also important to cut gluten (something like 40% of autistic children saw huge improvement by eliminating wheat and gluten), as it is irritating to the gut.  Bone broth is soothing and heals the gut.  No more pizzas, pasta, McDonald's!  She may protest, but as she starts to feel better, she will soon be attracted to the foods that help her feel well.  It's tough to do an elimination diet on a youngster, so maybe allow for an occasional treat (but make note of what the treat does to/for her behaviour) so that she can "be like other kids."  Healthy fats like avocados, coconut oils, grass fed butter and grass fed meats are important to bringing her brain and nervous system to a calmer place.

Here's a GAPS plan to start: https://draxe.com/gaps-diet-plan-protocol/

She will need coping tools, too - Chessie's suggestion of Dr. Peter Breggin is an excellent one.  Here is a book for  Drug Free ADD

These simple protocols are just the beginning, you will probably need professional support to give your daughter the tools she needs to adjust.  It's not easy!  This is why so many parents (and teachers) just reach for the tablets instead of trying to find out what is really the problem.

I agree with all of this article - especially the micronutrients, aminos and natural supplements - but I do not agree with homeopathy, which is giving sugar pills to your kid:  https://www.alternativementalhealth.com/drug-free-treatment-of-attention-deficit-disorder-add/

Here are some further suggestions:  https://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2009/08/12/9-drug-free-approaches-to-managing-adhd  - I especially agree with the Omega-3 fatty acids, which I understand do miraculous things in a growing child's and teenagers brain.  Exercise is key, too.  Limiting screen time is vital (did you know that Steve Jobs wouldn't let his kids use tablet or phone?).

And this: http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20252861,00.html

There is a drug-free clinic in Cleveland which addresses ADD/ADHD:  http://www.insightwellness.org/index.php/about-insight-63  I do not know how successful they are - but - it's worth a try, it looks like they have a large toolkit to design a plan for her.

Your instincts to keep her drug free are wise.  Robert Whitaker, in "Anatomy of an Epidemic" describes that children on ADHD drugs have a much higher (5 to 1?) chance of being diagnosed as a bipolar in their teen years.  If you can get a hold of a copy of this book (it is in most libraries) it is an eye-opening read.

Dabhob,

I've moved what was in your main intro thread over here. It looks like this had gotten lost in all of the conversations about your own taper, so I thought you might be able to focus on it better in this separate thread specifically about your daughter. 

JanCarol has listed some very helpful information.