SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

A new resource: ‘Understanding Antidepressants’

Wallace

Ah, just realized the "interfacing" that was referred to in that article in the psychiatric times recently has already begun. Well then, let's see where it takes us...

So hello there, Wallace. Welcome to the forum. I hope you learn a thing or two here.

There's one thing I'd like to ask of you though and that is to make it perfectly clear to everyone else on this site who might interact with you or read any of your posts that you're a psychiatrist (even if you're allegedly one of the "good guys"), for example by stating so clearly in the area below your posts that is usually reserved for ones so-called drug signature. Even better would be such an indicator right below your user name. Perhaps an administrator or moderator could help you out there.

Note to Altostrata: Perhaps what I've just suggested should be mandatory for all psychiatrists who create user profiles on this forum. I think a lot of members would appreciate it.

No longer a member.

Hi Wallace

Thanks for doing so. However, if I'm not mistaken, most people here don't often look at other members profiles right away unless they have reason to (which can be the case if, for example, their situation is similar to someone else's or if they've been talking to someone for a while). So most people interacting with you are unlikely to realize right away that you're a psychiatrist.

Don't get me wrong, since you seem to be one of the "good guys", no one's going to bite your head off. But only if you're completely open and honest about your intentions from the get go. You seem to have been open and honest so far but you'd need a way to make that clear right away with regard to any future interactions with other members who haven't read this thread, in my opinion. Otherwise they might feel betrayed in one way or another and might get quite upset. I for one would have given you a very hard time if I'd come across you on this site, had started interacting with you and then had later found out you were a psychiatrist. So it'd be in both your and our best interest to provide all other members of this site with a way to identify you as a "friendly" psychiatrist right away.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to add a brief description of yourself and your intentions on this forum to your "signature". You can find it by clicking on your user name in the top right corner (which will open a menu) and by then going to "account settings". You'll then find the "signature" option in the menu on the left side of your screen. Just fill it out and then click save and you're done. You wouldn't have to go into too much detail either, by the way. Just the basics would suffice.

Thanks

No longer a member.

I have added ‘Psychiatrist’ to my signature.  I think my previous postings describe my interests pretty clearly, and invite you to take a look at them.

Psychiatrist. I am no longer active in this group.

Okay, thanks. But you may still not have understood me completely. Not everyone you interact with on this site will have read your previous postings when they come into contact with you. And that's why I think it might be a good idea to provide a brief explanation with regard to your intentions in your signature. And you should also bear in mind that a lot of us have been tremendously harmed by psychiatry and this site is considered by many of us to be a place of sanctuary. It's a support site for victims of psychiatry, after all. Having psychiatrists around here (even well intentioned ones such as yourself) is likely to make some members feel uncomfortable. Including myself. So I would also advise you to watch your tone.

No longer a member.

Thank you for explaining so clearly, I think I understand what you are saying.  I had not realized when I asked to join that it might make some members uncomfortable, and I want to respect your desire for sanctuary.  I have asked Altostrata to cancel my account in the group.

Altostrata, I sent you a note to this effect; please cancel my account, as I am withdrawing from the group.

Psychiatrist. I am no longer active in this group.

Well, that's your decision to make, if that's how you feel about it. But as I said, you're welcome to be here. What I wrote previously was simply with regard to both your interests and also the rest of us and I was simply being honest about things. So by all means, stay on board and learn what you can. And then help spread the message amongst the other members of your profession. Cos maybe someday things will actually change if people like you help things along in the right direction.

No longer a member.

And just to clarify further: I'm not uncomfortable with you in particular being on this site. It's psychiatrists whose intentions are not made perfectly clear to anyone interacting with them being on this forum that I'd have a problem with. And, ultimately, it's Altostrata who calls the shots here anyway. I'm just another member. I've simply stated my opinion and asked you to do us all a favor (including yourself). And I hope you continue to remain a member and for you to learn what you can about withdrawal syndromes and how to safely withdraw from psychiatric drugs.

Anyway, that's all I have to say. Good luck with your endeavor.

No longer a member.

Thanks. And just so you know, your effort to understand the problem of dependence and withdrawal more fully is actually appreciated by a lot of us. Even by me.

All the best

No longer a member.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy