Sign in to follow this  
sadandconfused

Positive stories?

sadandconfused

Hello everyone, 

I'm doing decent with the withdrawal, better than I was anyway. I was wondering if anyone could give me some positive stories about getting their feelings back for their partner or just recovering from ssris in general? I'm feeling a little discouraged again, it's been going on two years since my feelings changed for my boyfriend after quitting Lexapro cold turkey. I guess I'm just wondering what I should be expecting? Is the hardest part over or will it still be awhile before I'm me again? We're definitely better than we were but I want so bad to go back to the way we were. I loved him more than anything and two years of feeling nothing is just so hard. 

potions

Hey sadandconfused.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but you say you fell in love with your boyfriend when you were on lexapro right? Maybe the drug was causing those feelings. Perhaps the overloading of serotonin affected your mind so much that you had feelings for that guy that you never would have had if you weren't on the drug.

It all depends on whether or not you have feelings for anything right now. Are your lack of feelings due to anhedonia? Do you find any other guys attractive? Do you have PSSD (post SSRI sexual dysfunction), where it's hard to feel love or attracted to *anyone*? If so, maybe your feelings will come back in time once the wd symptoms clear up.

When I was taking zoloft, I had massive changes in opinions, beliefs, feelings. . . I wasn't the same. I actually lost feelings for someone I really really liked before taking zoloft. These drugs can cause or erase feelings. They are powerful mind altering substances.

Studies show that when women start birth control they have different tastes in men than they had prior, and if a woman gets married to a man while she is on the pill and then comes off, her feelings for her husband might totally change or be erased. I don't see how SSRIs should be different.

In my opinion, your initial infatuation with your boyfriend was caused by the lexapro altering your mind. Unless of course, you lost feelings for everything when you came off the drug, not just him. But your comment about how you find other guys attractive makes me think differently.

I'd move on, to be blunt. All loving feelings are chemically-induced (just like all feelings), and it looks like the lexapro gave you those chemicals that you would have never felt if you didn't take the drug.

just my opinion. sorry to be blunt

potions

It comes down to whether your lack of feelings are due to wd induced emotional blunting/anhedonia, or if those lack of feelings are specific to your boyfriend.

PollyJ

I can say that I feel again in a way I haven't for many years. I love the new clarity and enthusiasm I feel for life. I feel centered and while cautious, I feel hopeful. Stay strong!