UnfoldingSky

Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing is Often Wrong

UnfoldingSky

I haven't read the full article so I'm not sure how this will play out for people here with regards to the genetic testing for adverse drug reactions, but, it looks like the tests should be looked at more carefully.  Also this article deals too with the unreliability of the tests for other issues, such as predicting diseases. 

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/04/direct-consumer-genetic-testing-often-wrong/

Raye

i got my DNA tested on 23 and me... then i downloaded my raw data and had it analyzed on prometheus... it says I have impaired drug metabolism..  so basically I might not be able to detox as fast as most people~

Genetic testing however can be more “unhelpful” for example, my family member also got her DNA tested to and she has variants for alzheimer’s and cancer (she has cancer now to)  So sometimes people might not want to know. I think it can be helpful to know though because then you have lead a healthier lifestyle. Your health isn’t determined by your genes but the expression of them :) 

Raye

I forgot to add.. there is also genetic mutations on the MTHFR and COMT genes that can cause people to be more anxiety prone.. you can also test these with your  raw DNA data.  The COMT can interfere with neurotransmitters from the brain which can make people more agitated and MTHFR, I believe is the most well known and partly has todo with B vitamins and folate metabolism. There are some “fixes” to these with nutrition/ supplements