mia: Tapering off Wellbutrin, Tegretol, lorazepam

mia

I need help in tapering off wellbutrin sr 150mg twice a day,help in tapering off tegretol 100mg,three times a day,and i need help in tapering off lorazepam 1mg three times a day.

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mia

• Altostrata

• Shep

• Rhiannon

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hi, mia. Welcome. I moved your topic here because it introduces your situation.

Why are you taking all these different drugs? How long have you been taking them?

If I were you, I would taper the Wellbutrin first. See information here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/page__p__7534__hl__wellbutrin__fromsearch__1#entry7534

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was given wellbutrin sr for depression,i've been taking it for 2yrs.The tegretol was given to me because my psyc.told me that i was a little bi- polar,i've been taking it like for a year.Lorazepam was given to me for anxiety,i've been taking it for 4yrs.

I've been taking lorazepam 4 mg,since December 20,2017.I started taking gabapentin again in January 27 for the pain in my back,and i'm still taking it,i'm taking 100 mg twice a day.But i want to get off it because the side effects.I take the first dosage of gabapentin at 12:00 noon,the side effects are diarrhea,tremors,i don't feel like doing anything, no motivation,forgetfulness,trouble concentrating,irritated,feeling down,sometimes i feel space out with this medication.My second dosage of 100 of  gabapentin is at 8:00 pm,the symptoms are the same as the one i take at noon,except for the diarrhea.I take 2 mg off lorazepam at 1:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,i start to shake( hands,head,sometimes my whole body.The next dosage i take is at 6:00 pm,symptoms feeling tired,and the same symptoms when i take the 1:00 pm dosage.

r

• Administrator

Do you think the medications have helped you? What happened after you started taking Tegretol?

Wellbutrin can make you nervous and affect your sleep. Is that what your pdoc thought was "a little bipolar"?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Another possibility is that you can taper one drug down some, then work on another one for a while, then another, et cetera.

For example, you could taper your Wellbutrin down to where you're taking only 150 mg a day. Then you could taper your Tegretol down to some level you choose. Then you could do the same with the lorazepam.

Since all three of these drugs cause different side effects, this might help you slowly reduce your total side effect profile and toxicity.

I do more or less the same thing by titrating all my drugs at the same time. But it's not any faster this way, because I have to go VERY VERY slowly.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would also like to add that since you are on substantial doses of three different psych meds now, it might be helpful in the long run if you start stretching your brain around the idea that it's probably going to take a few years to safely taper off all of them.

It will be worth it, though.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Altostrata and Silverstar,sorry i took so long to answer back.You know guys,i been taking depression med.since i was 26 yrs old,i think i should have never started them but i knew no better,i wish i could have known the knowledge that i have now from them.One thing i don't understand is that while i'm taking med.for depression,i relapse and fall into that nightmare of depression again,has any of you have experience this.Silverstar how can i titrate from wellbutrin sr 150mg twice a day.Altostrata how do you think i should taper off lorazepam,can you give me a schedule to show me how to do it.Well guys that's all for now,i'll be talking to you guys soon,Gods will,take care.

• Administrator

Hi, mia. Here's a topic with Tips for tapering off Wellbutrin, SR, XR, XL (buproprion)

Many of us are in the same boat -- looking back, we question whether we should ever have taken these medications in the first place. Don't blame yourself.

Tapering off benzos like lorazepam has its own techniques, which we don't know much about. benzobuddies is a good forum for that.

If I were you, I'd taper off lorazepam last, and after you're stable from withdrawing from Wellbutrin and Tegretol. The lorazepam may help reduce withdrawal symptoms from the other two drugs.

Hi ALto,i really don't understand the procedure.

• Administrator

I took Wellbutrin SR (sustained release) and I can tell you for a fact that you CAN cut the SR tablets up -- the timed-release mechanism is mixed in with the drug. Put the pieces in a water-tight container and use them up within 24 hours because the time-release binder can absorb humidity and degrade.

mia -- you can cut your tablets up into quarters. Each quarter of a 150mg tablet would be 37.5mg.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1. Try reducing by taking one 150mg tablet in the morning and 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the evening. Take this dosage for 2 weeks.

2. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 3/4 (112.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

3. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/2 (75mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

4. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/2 (75mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/2 (75mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

5. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/2 (75mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/4 (37.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

6. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/4 (37.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/4 (37.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

7. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/4 (37.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and ZERO in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

8. If no withdrawal symptoms, take ZERO in the morning and ZERO in the evening.

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually, benzos don't necessarily help reduce withdrawal symptoms from other drugs. Sometimes they make things worse. Benzos do weird things. And the stupid-making effect of benzos can make it hard to figure out tapers and such.

But Wellbutrin is very stimulating so I agree that it's the one to taper first.

Another thing to think about is that you may be getting withdrawal symptoms from your lorazepam in between doses. Lorazepam is short acting and it wears off after three to six hours and then people can actually get withdrawal from it. If you can break your daily total up into four separate doses taken eight hours apart, you might find you feel better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Altostrata and Silverstar,sorry i took so long to answer back.You know guys,i been taking depression med.since i was 26 yrs old,i think i should have never started them but i knew no better,i wish i could have known the knowledge that i have now from them.One thing i don't understand is that while i'm taking med.for depression,i relapse and fall into that nightmare of depression again,has any of you have experience this.Silverstar how can i titrate from wellbutrin sr 150mg twice a day.Altostrata how do you think i should taper off lorazepam,can you give me a schedule to show me how to do it.Well guys that's all for now,i'll be talking to you guys soon,Gods will,take care.

It's really common for antidepressants to actually CAUSE depression if taken for a long period of time. You aren't alone. I have absolutely experienced this myself.

• Administrator

Actually, benzos don't necessarily help reduce withdrawal symptoms from other drugs. Sometimes they make things worse. Benzos do weird things. And the stupid-making effect of benzos can make it hard to figure out tapers and such.

Another thing to think about is that you may be getting withdrawal symptoms from your lorazepam in between doses. Lorazepam is short acting and it wears off after three to six hours and then people can actually get withdrawal from it. If you can break your daily total up into four separate doses taken eight hours apart, you might find you feel better.

Good suggestions, Rhi. Thanks.

Thank you Rhi.

I took Wellbutrin SR (sustained release) and I can tell you for a fact that you CAN cut the SR tablets up -- the timed-release mechanism is mixed in with the drug. Put the pieces in a water-tight container and use them up within 24 hours because the time-release binder can absorb humidity and degrade.

mia -- you can cut your tablets up into quarters. Each quarter of a 150mg tablet would be 37.5mg.

This is what I would do if I were you:

1. Try reducing by taking one 150mg tablet in the morning and 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the evening. Take this dosage for 2 weeks.

2. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 3/4 (112.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

3. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 3/4 (112.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/2 (75mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

4. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/2 (75mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/2 (75mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

5. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/2 (75mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/4 (37.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

6. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/4 (37.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and 1/4 (37.5mg) in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

7. If no withdrawal symptoms, take 1/4 (37.5mg) of a 150mg tablet in the morning and ZERO in the evening. Wait 2 weeks.

8. If no withdrawal symptoms, take ZERO in the morning and ZERO in the evening.

Alto what is 3/4 of 150mg of wellbutrin?Alto i don't know much about what is what when cuting a pill or about mgs.

• Administrator

If you cut a 150mg pill in half, each piece is 75mg. If you cut one of those pieces in half, the little pieces are 37.5mg.

If you cut at 150mg pill in 4 equal pieces, each piece is 37.5mg. If you take 3 of those quarters, you are taking 112.5mg.

mia, you may need someone to help you cut your pills up for you to taper. Do you know anyone who can do this?

No,but i try to do it myself.Alto i want to thank you for the information you have provided me to taper off wellbutrin,God bless you for all you do to help others.

• Administrator

mia, I wish I could personally show you how to cut up a tablet but the best I can do is explain it.

Please go to your pharmacy and ask the druggist to show you how to cut up tablets.

Thank you for that thought,i wish the same,but i'll do what you said,go to tha pharmacy and ask them,again thank you.

• 5 years later...

I please need help getting off 300 mg of gabapentin that i take,100mg three times a day

On 2/13/2012 at 10:11 PM, Altostrata said:

Hi, mia. Welcome. I moved your topic here because it introduces your situation.

Why are you taking all these different drugs? How long have you been taking them?

If I were you, I would taper the Wellbutrin first. See information here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/877-tips-for-tapering-off-wellbutrin-sr-xr-xl-buproprion/page__p__7534__hl__wellbutrin__fromsearch__1#entry7534

I weaned off tegretol,wellbutrin and lorazepam in 2012.I want to thank Altostrata and other people here that help me and gave me a plan to taper off these medications.Now i'm taking gabapentin because i started taking lorazepam again,so the dr.took me off lorazepam,and he switch me to clonazepam (taking 2mg and a half daily),he gave me gabapentin (100 mg) three times a day to help me with the clonazepam.I've been taking clonazepam and gabapentin since july 20,2017,up to know.

Edited by mia

Can someone please help and give a plan to taper off gabapanentin and clonazepam?

9 hours ago, mia said:

Can someone please help and give a plan to taper off gabapanentin and clonazepam?

Altostrata can you please help me?

22 hours ago, mia said:

I weaned off tegretol,wellbutrin and lorazepam in 2012.I want to thank Altostrata and other people here that help me and gave me a plan to taper off these medications.Now i'm taking gabapentin because i started taking lorazepam again,so the dr.took me off lorazepam,and he switch me to clonazepam (taking 2mg and a half daily),he gave me gabapentin (100 mg) three times a day to help me with the clonazepam.I've been taking clonazepam and gabapentin since july 20,2017,up to know.

Altostrata can you please help me?

• Administrator

mia, how are you feeling?

What drugs and dosages are you taking now, and at what times of day? Did the gabapentin help with benzo withdrawal symptoms? Why do you want to go off it now?

Our topic about tapering gabapentin is here Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

I please need help tapering off clonazepam.

14 hours ago, mia said:

I please need help tapering off clonazepam.

i need help tapering from clonazepam,can you please help me?

• Administrator

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
14 minutes ago, mia said:

I want to get off gabapentin,but I don’t have any other med.that I can take that will help me with the pain.The pain at times makes me anxious.Yes I’m interested in coming off these drugs .

Mia,

I copied the above from your benzo thread so you can get more feedback, since you are holding the benzo until you're off gabapentin. 

53 minutes ago, Shep said:

You came off Vicodin, switched from 2.5 mg clonazepam to 5 mg lorazepam, and then added gabapentin back in all within less than two months time.

Due to all of these recent changes, I'm really at a loss of what to advice, so I'll ask the other mods for feedback. 

In the meantime, please read over:

Tips for tapering off Neurontin (gabapentin)

Again, we need a drug and symptoms journal in order to help you.

Write notes about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Ok Shep and thank you.Shep i did write the medications that I’m taking and the side effects from them. I will read what you send me,thank you.

Shep so that means that i'm in another thread,if so can you tell me where it is?

• Moderator Emeritus
59 minutes ago, mia said:

Shep so that means that i'm in another thread,if so can you tell me where it is?

You're in the right place, Mia. This is the thread. 

Oh ok Shep,thank you for making that clear to me, I thought it was moved to another thread.Sorry Shep.

Edited by mia
I used the wrong word.

59 minutes ago, mia said:

Thank you.

Brassmonkey can you please tell me a plan to taper off gabapentin 100 mg twice a day?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 2/24/2018 at 8:25 PM, mia said:

Ok Shep and thank you.Shep i did write the medications that I’m taking and the side effects from them. I will read what you send me,thank you.

Hi, Mia. Yes, but you wrote them in your signature. We really need a daily list in your thread.

Please see this format:

Write notes about your drug dosages and daily symptom pattern

Please also include any supplements you are taking. This is important because there may be interactions between your drugs and your supplements. Please note that gabapentin has an interaction with magnesium:

On 7/8/2012 at 11:39 PM, Altostrata said:

NOTE There is an interaction between gabapentin and magnesium, see http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-9845-8217/neurontin-oral/gabapentin-oral/details/list-interaction-details/dmid-1207/dmtitle-gabapentin-aluminum-magnesium-containing-compounds/intrtype-drug. Taking magnesium at the same time as gabapentin decreases the absorption of gabapentin. Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin.