SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fightingawar: Withdrawals after having serotonin syndrome

Fightingawar

Moderator note: link to benzo forum thread - Fightingawar Ativan Taper

I have been on antidepressants for 16 years many different ones, the last one I was on was Clomipramine I was on it for a year and a half. I recently had to go the ER for high blood pressure and my heart rate being very high I was diagnosed with serotonin syndrome and was took off my antidepressant rapidly (10 days) I am now on day 16 of being completely off and suffering terrible withdrawals, how long does this last and how do you get through it. I am still taking Ativan twice a day but I feel like I’m fighting a war and I’m so desperate to win 😪

Edited by Shep
added tags and link to benzo forum thread

Ativan- Currently taking 3.17 mg 6x a day for 4 years currently doing a liquid taper 

Anafranil- 125 mg was on for 2 years, 2016-March 2018 off only in 2 weeks my last dose was March 6 

Metoprolol-50mg twice daily for 2008-now

Prilosec-40mg once daily 2013-now

Singular-10mg once daily 2013-now

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Fightingawar: Withdrawals after having Serotonin Syndrome
  • Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fightingawar

• Altostrata

• Audrey88

• manymoretodays

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Welcome, Fighting.

What dosage of clomipramine were you taking? Have you told your doctor that you are suffering withdrawal symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Fightingawar and welcome to SA from me too,

We ask all members to create a drug signature.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  Please keep it nice and simple.  We only need details for the last 2 years.  Date, drug and dose only, no symptoms or diagnoses.  The other years can just be an overview.  

This is the preferred format which is helpful for the mods.  Thank you.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 2 years particularly?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 

There are many existing topics and discussions on this site.  You can use the site search function on the main page of the site at the top right, or use a search engine and include survivingantidepressants.org in your search string.

This is your own Intro topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.  We suggest that members visit each others Intro topics so that can support and encourage each other.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I went off Clomimipramine in 14 days because I developed serotonin syndrome but we are still not 100% sure that’s what it was but  I’m in week 7 of serious withdrawals at least that’s what I think it is. I have been on antidepressants for 16 years never in those years have I been off them so I need to know if this is really withdrawal I feel like the past week I have only gotten way worse severe anxiety, no appetite at all I have lost 30 pounds in 7 weeks, fatigue, aching, just feeling the worst I have I ever felt in my life. Could this really be withdrawals and what can I do about my appetite it’s very serious that I’m not able to eat hardly anything. Did anyone else get that too? I’m scared I need someone to talk someone who has been where I am. Desperately looking for answers!!

Ativan- Currently taking 3.17 mg 6x a day for 4 years currently doing a liquid taper 

Anafranil- 125 mg was on for 2 years, 2016-March 2018 off only in 2 weeks my last dose was March 6 

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

I was taking 125 mg, it has been 7 weeks can I really still be in withdrawals if they seem way worse and severe?

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA. 

It does sound like you are in withdrawal. There is a lot of information and support on this site. You may want to start with What is withdrawal syndrome? 

To help us know more about your situation (dosages and dates, etc.), Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature 

This will be your topic for asking questions (I'm sure someone will have also experienced the appetite problems and may have advice) and sharing your progress.

Again, welcome.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

I too have little appetite and have lost a good bit of weight and attribute it clearly to withdrawal.  One suggestion is to eat several small meals a day.  I make a real effort to eat.  Are there special foodsyou like or used to like?  Stock up on those.  For me, nutrition wise, I feel I get more "bang for my buck" given my limited appetite from protein.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

How long have you been in withdrawal? I’m starting to wonder if I’m going to get better, I have lost 30 pounds and I am so very sick could this really still be withdrawals?

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been in withdrawal for about a year and a half.  Withdrawal can go on for quite a while.  Yes, it is very likely withdrawal, especially since you had to go off the drug so fast. Please read:

This post and Is it withdrawal or relapse?

The experiences of the members of this site indicate that you will get better.  Unfortunately, it will take time.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

Many members have found the non-drug techniques in these links to be helpful in dealing with withdrawal:

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Welcome, Fightingawar.

21 hours ago, Fightingawar said:

I went off Clomimipramine in 14 days because I developed serotonin syndrome

Why did you think it was serotonin syndrome? That is usually a result of more than one drug interacting.

Yes, you need to eat what you can. This is a good time to put butter on everything.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

16 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Why did you think it was serotonin syndrome? That is usually a result of more than one drug interacting.

Just curious serotonin syndrome can't happen with one medication at too high of a dose?

In June 2014 I was taking Celexa for 2 days, 25 mg zoloft 8 weeks, 10 mg Paxil 3 months and 10 mg Lexapro 1 month tapered off in 2 wks.. Was on a total of 6 months had side effects to them all. Went off and had my first panic attack a month later in January 2015. In March 2015 was having stomach issues and was put on Xanax for a week Dr. Said it was anxiety. End of that week woke up heart racing so was put back on Lexapro 5 MG and the next night is when my sleep got messed up. Literally not sleeping

Was it the Xanax or lexapro?? Went off sleep on and off and taking Xanax on and off. The end of April 2015 tried Buspar for 2 days and had side effects and could not sleep at all. Middle of May 2015 went on Ambien and lexapro again. Inner vibration started. Switched to paxil. Went off Ambien in June 2015 and off Paxil July 2015. October 2015 got worse went of zoloft 12.5 mg through December 2015. I was tolerating what I was going through January and February 2016. Then March got worse with horrible panic. Tried hypnotherapy in May 2016 a couple times couldn't Relax when she started counting backwards it freaked me out. Started not sleeping again in May. Went back on Xanax for 2 months May-July 2016. Tried liquid Prozac 5 mg then 10 mg side effects July - August then switched Zoloft 12.5 mg August - September 2016. Been off antidepressants since September 5, 2016. Been off Xanax since July 28, 2016, but I have taken it 8 other times since then through May 2017. Have symptoms going on with agoraphobia. Is this withdrawal??

May 2017 feeling horrible and more intense symptoms.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, BAT said:

Just curious serotonin syndrome can't happen with one medication at too high of a dose?

It can, but then you just reduce the dosage.

• Altostrata changed the title to Fightingawar 7 weeks later and I feel worse

I got high blood pressure 170/120 and my heart rate was 160 ant my reflux’s we’re hyper but I still don’t think that’s what it was I had been on Anafranil at 125 mg for 2 years and then just one day out of the blue I get serotonin syndrome I just don’t believe it. I worry about eating so much which makes my anxiety so much worse because I don’t want to be put in the hospital I’m scared they will put me in a psych hospital. I try my best to eat I drink ensure a lot but I’m still very weak and losing a lot of weight. They are thinking about reinstateing a small dose of Trintellix but I’m scared to do anything right now I just don’t want to be in the hospital.

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• Administrator

Did you take another drug? Such as an antibiotic?

Don't worry about eating when you've lost so much weight. Do you have an eating disorder?

No I didn’t take any other medication no I don’t have a eating disorder I am a big girl anyway but still don’t need to lose weight like this 😪

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

Fightingawar sent me a PM...I have her permission to post my reply to her publicly....

25 minutes ago, Kristine said:

Hey Fightingawar, I am so terribly sorry you are suffering, my heart goes out to you. I completely understand. I had a look at your thread and I would recommend that you try to complete your signature and answer Altos questions. It is important to know how long you were on the drug and at what dose. Also are you taking any other medications. For example, antiemetics (drugs to treat neausea) affect serotonin and can make matters worse. 

I also suffered from ongoing nausea. It has eased now. I also lost a great deal of weight. 15kg. Try to eat small regular meals. you need your strength, you must eat, your body needs adequate nutrition to heal. Protein is important. Also ginger has been my best friend to deal with nausea. Crystallised ginger, ginger tea and ginger beer (the natural nonalcoholic kind)...also essential peppermint oil...in a diffuser. I would also mix it with a carrier oil and massage it in a clockwise direction into my abdomen. 

Yes, I deal with anxiety everyday. This is something else you should write on your thread. How would you describe your anxiety? What does it feel like? What time of day is it worse? The first exercise I would recommend is learning breathing techniques...I know this sounds basic but it works. Maybe start with the  4-7-8 breathing technique...i  do this at least 5 times per day. Always first thing in the morning. Here is a example..there are many examples on the web....

would it be okay if I post this message on your thread? I think it is beneficial to have these sorts of conversations public so the moderators can help you more. What do you think? 

Much Love. K :)

I know this is all a bit overwhelming FAW, but you will find such an abundance of information and support here....it takes a lot of courage to join in the first place...welcome to SA :) you have landed in a safe place :wub: Much Love. K xo

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

Hey FAW...how much Ativan do you take? What dose? Also you mentioned metoprolol in the PM you sent me...I'd also add this to your signiture...was this added recently to treat your high blood pressure? Has your BP stabilised since ceasing the 125mg of  Anafranil? Sorry for all the questions...it will just help the moderators get a clearer picture of what is going on. Much Love K xo

• Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

I’m taking 1mg of Ativan 3 times a day, I have been on metoprolol for a long time for high blood pressure. My blood pressure is still running high but my heart rate has been good though.

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

A tiny reinstatement of Anafranil may help aliviate the intensity of your w/d symptoms. Have you got any Anafranil left? Please wait for a mod to advise you. You are going to be okay :) much Love. K xo

I haven’t gotten any left they want to reinstate Trintellix in a small dose, I’m just so scared now of everything. Do you think 7 weeks is to long to try and reinstate? And since your a nurse do you think I’m losing to much weight? How much is necessary for me to eat everyday to be okay? Do the obsessive thoughts ever stop, they tell me I’m dying constantly 😪

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

In what amount of time did you lose the weight you lost? I weighed 234 now I weigh 202 which would be great if I didn’t lose it this way. I feel like I’m bed ridden I ache and hurt so bad with no energy at ALL!!

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

3 hours ago, Fightingawar said:

I haven’t gotten any left they want to reinstate Trintellix in a small dose, I’m just so scared now of everything. Do you think 7 weeks is to long to try and reinstate? And since your a nurse do you think I’m losing to much weight? How much is necessary for me to eat everyday to be okay? Do the obsessive thoughts ever stop, they tell me I’m dying constantly 😪

The obsessive thoughts are normal during w/d but there are ways to control them and lessen their intensity. They are just thoughts...what is important is how you react to these thoughts. I would recommend you check out the symptoms and self care section until Alto or a moderator get back to you. Making all the information avalible now will help the moderators assist you come up with a plan. For example, when, for how long and at what dose were you on Trintellix? Was this CTed? At the same time as Anafranil? Put all this information into your signiture. Even though I'm a nurse it would unprofessional for me to make any kind of recommendation or assumption about your weight loss.

3 hours ago, Fightingawar said:

In what amount of time did you lose the weight you lost? I weighed 234 now I weigh 202 which would be great if I didn’t lose it this way. I feel like I’m bed ridden I ache and hurt so bad with no energy at ALL!!

I lost a lot of weight (15kg) due to dexamphetamine being also an appetite suppressant and nausea and vomiting. I can't remember the amount of time...somewhere between 5-7months.  Over the past four weeks I have started to gaining weight again. Lack of energy and body ache (can sometime feel like flu pain) is also common during W/d.  

Im really sorry you are feeling so unwell and scared at the moment. I understand. Please read all the links that have been provided for you by the mods, add as much detail to your signiture as you can remember...and breath! Try and calm yourself...have a Epsom salt bath, listen to a calming guided meditation, sit in the sun, do some simple stretches, get a hug, hug a pet, wrap yourself tightly in a blanket (like swaddling a baby) this can be calming...breath deeply...if you are still finding it difficult to calm yourself.. focus just on the temperature of the air going in and out of your nostrils.....cool air in...warm air out...repeat...

I hope this helps...Much Love. K xo

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Fightingawar said:

then just one day out of the blue I get serotonin syndrome

If I remember correctly, TCAs have a narrow index of safety. Is it possible you accidentally took an extra dose? Were there any foods you were supposed to avoid while taking clomipramine? See https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/clomipramine,anafranil.html

If you put your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
you might see some interactions that led to the serotonin toxicity symptoms. Please copy and paste the results in this topic.

Aside from that, it sounds like you had too much of it. As Kristine correctly pointed out, taking a tiny amount of clomipramine may reduce withdrawal symptoms. Trintellix isn't any substitute, your doctors must like the idea because it's trendy.

Kristine also brought up your Ativan intake. When do you take Ativan, at what dosage? How long have you been taking it? Do you take it every day?

I never took Trintellix this is just what they are wanting me to start taking a low dose to help the withdrawals. They are scared to try the Clomimipramine since they think it caused the serotonin syndrome 😪

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

12 hours ago, Fightingawar said:

I never took Trintellix this is just what they are wanting me to start taking a low dose to help the withdrawals. They are scared to try the Clomimipramine since they think it caused the serotonin syndrome 😪

Hey FAW, personally I would advise against taking Trintellix (Vortioxetine). I say this from personal experience. It is a new drug which doesn't even fit into any existing catagory of antidepressants. It effects multiple neurotransmitters. From the manufactures own publications (Lundbeck) the most reported side effect (33% from memory) is nausea. I suffered extreme nausea and vomiting from this drug. You already are suffering from nausea, so I'm concerned as to why they would even suggest it.  Just some thoughts FAW. I'm so sorry you are in this position. Much Love K 

If you have had serotonin syndrome I want to talk to you, I need some guidance!!

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

Can someone please tell he me or help me to figure out how to stabilize?

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

I take Ativan 3 times a day 1 mg each every day I have been taking it awhile. But the night I was diagnosed with serotonin syndrome I didn’t take any other meds other then my usual ones and I had been at that dose for awhile 125mg. They are talking about putting me in the hospital which I assume would be psych and put me back on a small dose of something and watch me but I am too scared to go to that kind of hospital. What should I do??

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• Administrator

FAW, what times of day do you take Ativan, and what dosages?

What about the food interactions with Anafranil -- could that have triggered the serotonin toxicity symptoms? Or did you take an antibiotic or other drug at the time?

18 hours ago, Kristine said:

You already are suffering from nausea, so I'm concerned as to why they would even suggest it.

^ So true. This indicates whoever "they" is does not even know adverse effects of the drugs they prescribe -- which is not uncommon, even among psychiatrists.

1 hour ago, Fightingawar said:

They are talking about putting me in the hospital which I assume would be psych and put me back on a small dose of something and watch me

Who is "they"? Are you a minor? Can you refuse to be hospitalized?

Very few doctors, even psychiatrists, know about tapering psychiatric drugs and even fewer know what to do about withdrawal syndrome.

If I were you, I'd accept a reinstatement of perhaps 5mg Anafranil to stop withdrawal symptoms. A compounding pharmacy can make up this small dose.

If the "they" you're seeing don't like this idea, is there another doctor with whom you can work? Any doctor can write the prescription.

I take Ativan 3 times a day at 5am, 12pm, and 6pm 1 mg each every day I have been taking it awhile. But the night I was diagnosed with serotonin syndrome I didn’t take any other meds other then my usual ones and I had been at that dose for awhile 125mg and I looked at the interactions of stuff with Anafranil but did not see anything that could have caused it. By they I mean the psychiatrist and my doctor are talking about putting me in the hospital which I assume would be psych and put me back on a small dose of something and watch me but I am too scared to go to that kind of hospital, no I’m not a minor I just didn’t know if they could put me in a psych hospital without my permission? Do you think if I can find a doctor to prescribe me the 5 mg of Anafranil that is would stopmy withdrawals and do you think that it wouldn’t hurt me if I did have the serotonin syndrome?  

Magnesium-300mg 6 months 

• Moderator Emeritus

I’m so sorry you’re in this predicament Fightingawar,

Looks like you did an extremely fast taper of two meds.

And they want to add something else in the mix?

Im sure the mods will be by to give you some advice.

Wishing you all the best

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just realised it was one medication you tapered off, 

Each medication seems to have a couple of different names.

Please wait for the mods, they have some amazing advice.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xxx

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Mentor

Hi Fightingawar,

I saw your question on Dave's page and decided to come over here to answer you.  Your question is below.

"How did you get through that RachelSusan, it’s been so hard my anxiety is so so bad and I can’t eat I’m so nauseous, my body aches from head to toe. How long did you suffer these withdrawals?"

It was quite a while that I had withdrawal symptoms, you can reread the post to figure out exactly how long. Nausea and body aches was of course all part of it.

I see that Altostrata is advising you regarding the Anafranil.  Can you take  her suggestion to your doctor and see if he or she will prescribe it for you? Perhaps you can call your doctor tomorrow?  I wouldn't wait, the sooner you do this the better. I don't like to see you suffering.  I know you are truly going through h*ll.

Best,

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

13 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

I see that Altostrata is advising you regarding the Anafranil.  Can you take  her suggestion to your doctor and see if he or she will prescribe it for you? Perhaps you can call your doctor tomorrow?  I wouldn't wait, the sooner you do this the better. I don't like to see you suffering.  I know you are truly going through h*ll.

Hey FAW, I agree with RachelS...The sooner the better. it is very unlikely that a tiny dose of 5mg of Anafranil will put you at risk of Seratonin Syndrome. Much Love K xo 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi FAW, I have merged your 4 topics into your original introduction. We have a rule of 1 topic per person in the introduction forum, this keeps all your questions and replies in one place so it is easy to find your history. 

You have had some good advice here, the most important thing that you can do right now is  to breathe, just breathe slowly and don't panic. You are going to be fine. You will get through this, we all will.  You need a prescription for anafranil as soon as you can get one. The lowest dose that can be prescribed. When you have that we can tell you how to get the tiny dose.  Keep the ativan dose steady.

You will get through this and feel better again. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

So I’m not getting Clomimipramine the psychiatrist has repeatedly said no so all I have Trintellix I need someone to tell me something good. Has anyone ever went off a med had terrible withdrawals and reinstated with something else and felt better? Please give me some good news I’m taking this new med tonight and I’m scared to death not only because it could make me worse but because of the whole possible serotonin syndrome. Is there some good news out there that will get me through tonight?

Magnesium-300mg 6 months