xyz

the MEDITATION thread

xyz

hi, 

I thought i could start a meditation thread. 

not sure if this is the right place to post and if there is another thread already started on the topic.

i will post more. please join me if you have a daily mindfulness practice, or if you are interested in spiritual growth.

my goal is to make this thread as a resources for people who are in withdrawal.

mindfulness and being in the moment present, acceptance of our current experience has been crucial in my recovery.

just a disclaimer, i am a buddhist, so everything i will post about my meditation practice (that has spanned over few years), will be referred from the point of view of the buddhist teachings.

but i have great respect for other religions as well,  as long as one's implementation of his religious belief helps him to be kinder and more compassionate.

also, english is not my native language, so pardon my gramma in advance.

xyz

download.jpg

xyz

images.jpg.1860543035ca7b5428f0993e2f0eee08.jpg

xyz

why paying attention to our thought process is crucial.

“Neurons that fire together wire together. Mental states become neural traits. Day after day, your mind is building your brain. This is what scientists call experience-dependent neuroplasticity,” 
"if you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves"

Hardwiring happiness by Dr. Rick Hanson, 13 minutes of valuable talk. A must watch!
(courtesy of happy2heal, i love her posts!)

xyz

d62d067c660f081fb38ec3c7e48e5d0b.jpg.6a5e4455c501a5b5469dfa861544eb56.jpg

NobodySpecial

Checking in :)

Having a mindfulness practice is probably the #1 tool in my belt for recovery!

MedusaInAkron

I has TM training when I was 15 but never stuck with it. Practiced mindfulness mediation for 11 months back in 2014 but let that lapse. Doing TM again (twice a day) since going off Celexa about a month ago. Shaky. 

xyz

hi Medu,

thank you for posting.

i also did DBT, it was really good for me.

what has helped me is to combine mindfulness with intense cardio. the rage dissolves when i get very physical.

it is very brave of you to meditate with all the rage.

11 months of mindfulness is pretty good!

what is hard when you sit?

VitaminB

Hi, 

I am on a 267 day meditation streak. I listen to Headspace app for a guided 20 minute sit and then I do another 20 minutes of just sitting after that. 

I sometimes feel the energy of my heart move and "open." I am not sure if it is my "heart opening" or not. I always expect it to end. I am not attached to it staying or coming back. I am wondering if it is my heart chakra opening. 

Sometimes I feel really light and airy all throughout my body when I sit. 

xyz

hi vitamin B,

267 day is great!

i find it hard to sit with the anxiety but if i give it 15mn, my mind settle down and i am okay. not great but okay. and okay is better than really bad in withdrawal.

what i find more interesting is how i am able to notice where my thoughts are when i am not meditating.

a looot of planning. when i am going to be off meds, how slow, how many months, OMG i can't go on, i am an addict, etc...

too much around med, lol

VitaminB

Yes, getting into the conversation on withdrawal is tempting because, to me, there is so much injustice to being put on meds. All the planning in the world can't make surprises in withdrawal from going away. For me, it is learning how to inhabit my body. Body scans from head to toe are part of the headspace app too. It took a while for me not to get annoyed with body scans, now I actually feel the relaxation that comes from body scans. I feel lucky to see that it takes a little while, but the mind will stop making things annoying. Having the feeling in my chest was annoying, but I am having the same reaction as the body scans. I get less annoyed and more relaxed as I let it happen. I hope the more I inhabit the body the more I will catch how withdrawal effects me before things spiral downward out of control. 

NobodySpecial

@VitaminB, the phenomena that you're experiencing is cool. It'll come and go over a lifetime of practice, it's actually quite important to just note and not try to label the experience.

But in the spirit of discussion, when you practice, you relax your sense of self and it becomes more flexible. Compassion or a 'heart opening' can totally arise when you're less self centred. It's interesting to hold that experience in bare awareness and really taste it! 

VitaminB

I think I am getting the sensation in my heart because I am pushing my shoulders back and breathing into the top of my lungs. The tip top of the lungs don't get too much action from me because of my bad posture, but when I sit I pay attention to my posture. 

The mantra I think of is "inner peace, world peace." I had a Buddhist friend who always said he meditated for the benefit of all beings. 

NobodySpecial

Hey @VitaminB,

Possibly, you may even be breathing a little too high. Do you want some suggestion for practice?

VitaminB
3 hours ago, NobodySpecial said:

Hey @VitaminB,

Possibly, you may even be breathing a little too high. Do you want some suggestion for practice?

Sure, I would like some suggestions...

NobodySpecial

So, I conceptualise practice with two 'streams' of practice - mindfulness and compassion / loving kindness. They should be developed hand-in-hand, but it's useful to have some basic mindfulness instruction before you do that.

Here's my late teacher's take and probably the best suggestion to start properly:

https://soundcloud.com/michaelstoneteaching/sets/foundations-of-mindfulness