GirlfromD

Advice as a carer + going through withdrawal myself

GirlfromD

I was not sure where to post this, so I'm trying here. Besides having a very hard time after using antidepressant drugs myself and going through withdrawal, I have a sister who is also on a lot of medicine! We have always been very close and she is almost the only one I have left besides my father. She has been on risperidon since she was 8 years old until now (she is 28 now). For about 5 years ago, she was also given Citalopram, and she has begun in recent years to get a lot of problems, she has changed a lot, for worse. She is very restless, can't function like she used to do, have lost all of her friends, unable to work etc. I have long said that it was definitely the antidepressants, (maybe even in interaction with the risperidon but im not sure) who gave her all the problems, because she only got all those problems after she got citalopram. The doctors of course, do not believe this and have now recently (a few months ago)  diagnosed her with "ADHD" , which could not be more wrong! So now they have given her "Vyvance" simular to ritalin containing amphetamine etc. and she has become more aggressive, no appetite etc. I think it will make it all so much worse and worry a lot about it, but my family have told me to shut up and stay out of it! The doctors also want her off both citalopram and risperidone and they will do it in a few months! No one believes in me when i try to warn them, and my sister is so brainwashed by doctors. This is very difficult and stressful for me, as I feel I'm losing my sister, nor do my family want me to tell her about the side effects of the medicine. I do not know what to do with this!? 

GirlfromD

Anyone?

Byul

Sorry for what your sister experiencing right now because of the horrible drug. :(

Yes, I belong here GirlfromD.

The Dr. prescribed risperidone to me and I took it for almost 3months :'(

When I told the Dr about all the effects, he just prescribed another drug.

Also, the Dr said that I can stop it if I wanted to. The Dr has no care :'(

I didnt want to take another drug because I thought I could die anytime. :(

I had to quit it cold turkey because I had very hard palpitations, I cant breathe and cant feel.

I feel so much regret. :(

I shouldve finished reading about the drug before taking it. :'(

I experienced being a zombie, robotic movements, brain zaps, couldnt talk or think, dizziness, very blurry vision, migraine attacks which turned my vision all black and experienced many times of falling, constipation, my period reduces number of days, dropped of BP, some days I feel hungry, some days I cant get hungry but still i will eat, i forgot some names and some things or events, insomia, dreams, tiredness, numbness, pain in body, mood swings, anger and irritability, hopelessness, depression, anxiety, acnes, depersonalization, and most painful is this anhedonia along with the emotional numbness...cant feel any emotions :'(

I love acting, singing, and dancing. I love music and arts. I have no excitement and no motivation. :(

When Im watching tv or people talking, I dont know.what should I feel. 

I cant participate well in praise and worship ministry :(

I miss being happy and alive.

Im the eldest. 

Before we(my sister and I) are very close too, but now she is not even talking to me.

It is so sad because i have been telling her many times about my situation but she doesnt seem understand and keep distance from me :'(

It's like I have a very chronic disease :(

Lucky to have our youngest sibling (a girl also) who takes some time to play with me.

I also lost my job and my friends.

Cant give financial support for the family.

Cant help :'(((

They also do not know what to do :(

Feeling despair. :(

I love taking photos and videos but now I dont feel like to do it.

I cant socialize much.

Some people would say, "Why is she very quiet? "

So most of the days I spent in the house.

Im 2 months off of the meds. Still cant feel alive, motivations, and emotions. :'(

Still hoping for a recovery.

GirlfromD
On 4/25/2018 at 6:08 AM, Byul said:

Sorry for what your sister experiencing right now because of the horrible drug. :(

Yes, I belong here GirlfromD.

The Dr. prescribed risperidone to me and I took it for almost 3months :'(

When I told the Dr about all the effects, he just prescribed another drug.

Also, the Dr said that I can stop it if I wanted to. The Dr has no care :'(

I didnt want to take another drug because I thought I could die anytime. :(

I had to quit it cold turkey because I had very hard palpitations, I cant breathe and cant feel.

I feel so much regret. :(

I shouldve finished reading about the drug before taking it. :'(

I experienced being a zombie, robotic movements, brain zaps, couldnt talk or think, dizziness, very blurry vision, migraine attacks which turned my vision all black and experienced many times of falling, constipation, my period reduces number of days, dropped of BP, some days I feel hungry, some days I cant get hungry but still i will eat, i forgot some names and some things or events, insomia, dreams, tiredness, numbness, pain in body, mood swings, anger and irritability, hopelessness, depression, anxiety, acnes, depersonalization, and most painful is this anhedonia along with the emotional numbness...cant feel any emotions :'(

I love acting, singing, and dancing. I love music and arts. I have no excitement and no motivation. :(

When Im watching tv or people talking, I dont know.what should I feel. 

I cant participate well in praise and worship ministry :(

I miss being happy and alive.

Im the eldest. 

Before we(my sister and I) are very close too, but now she is not even talking to me.

It is so sad because i have been telling her many times about my situation but she doesnt seem understand and keep distance from me :'(

It's like I have a very chronic disease :(

Lucky to have our youngest sibling (a girl also) who takes some time to play with me.

I also lost my job and my friends.

Cant give financial support for the family.

Cant help :'(((

They also do not know what to do :(

Feeling despair. :(

I love taking photos and videos but now I dont feel like to do it.

I cant socialize much.

Some people would say, "Why is she very quiet? "

So most of the days I spent in the house.

Im 2 months off of the meds. Still cant feel alive, motivations, and emotions. :'(

Still hoping for a recovery.

Hello Byul. It's terrible how they just prescribe to people without thinking about the cost to that person. The scary thing is that my sister has been on risperidone for 20+ years, so I'm afraid it will be very hard for her to get out of, but i´m hoping that she will.

I'm sorry to hear you experience so many difficult symptoms, i'm familiar with all of those symtoms from quitting with antidepressants and i can relate so much to a lot of what you said. Have you taken ripseridone for 3 months? Were you on other medications too? I'm really sorry you do not have contact with your sister, I know how difficult it can be, and i hope one day you can reunite with her, but good you still have some siblings by your side.

Yes, it feels like it's chronic and feels like it just go on, and on, and family and friends can hardly understand, but one day they will, when we are over this one day, even stronger than before, they will. I too isolate myself very much, and it can be hard not to feel that you contribute a lot or. You just have to keep in mind that you'll get through it, and you're doing great! Because you must be an incredibly strong person to endure this (I tell myself that often☺️) , and I think you should be proud to have come as far as you are right now even though it is very tough. You have not been off the medicine that long yet, and I'm sure things will get easier for you over time. It was so hard for me at the beginning too, but as time goes by, things are improving at their own pace. 

johnson

Maybe you can try posting this under 'introductions and updates' section of this website. You can post on behalf of your sister. 

Good luck. 

GirlfromD
13 hours ago, johnson said:

Maybe you can try posting this under 'introductions and updates' section of this website. You can post on behalf of your sister. 

Good luck. 

Hello Johnson. Thank you, i will try that out and see if it works :)

GirlfromD

I was not sure where to post this, so I'm trying here, postet this on another thread and someone suggested i could try here. Hope someone can help.

Besides having a very hard time after using antidepressants myself and going through withdrawal, I have a sister who is also on a lot of medicine! We have always been very close and she is almost the only one I have left besides my father and i talk to her on the phone almost daily.

She has been on risperidon since she was 8 years old until now (she is 28 now) so about 20 years. At 6 years ago, she was also given "Escitalopram", and she begun in recent years to get a lot of problems, she has changed a lot, for worse. She is very restless, can't function like she used to do, have lost all of her friends, unable to work etc. I have long said that it was definitely the antidepressants, (maybe even in interaction with the risperidon but im not sure) which gave her all of the problems, because she only got all those problems after she got citalopram. The doctors of course, do not believe this, and she dosen't believe me either, and my sister is so brainwashed by doctors and family.  

Now recently (a few months ago) they also  diagnosed her with "ADHD" , which could not be more wrong! So now they have given her "Vyvance" simular to ritalin containing amphetamine etc. and she has become more aggressive, no appetite etc. I think it will make it all so much worse!  And I worry a lot about it, but my family and others have told me to shut up and stay out of it! The doctors also want her off both citalopram and risperidone and they will do it in a few months! This is very difficult and stressful for me, as I feel like I'm losing my sister, nor do my family want me to tell her about the side effects of the medicine, even though they saw what damage it did to me. I do not know what to do with this!? 

It is heartbreaking to me how no one, no doctors or family can see this, besides me! And i'm afraid it will have huge consequences one day.

powerback
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:44 PM, GirlfromD said:

I was not sure where to post this, so I'm trying here. Besides having a very hard time after using antidepressant drugs myself and going through withdrawal, I have a sister who is also on a lot of medicine! We have always been very close and she is almost the only one I have left besides my father. She has been on risperidon since she was 8 years old until now (she is 28 now). For about 5 years ago, she was also given Citalopram, and she has begun in recent years to get a lot of problems, she has changed a lot, for worse. She is very restless, can't function like she used to do, have lost all of her friends, unable to work etc. I have long said that it was definitely the antidepressants, (maybe even in interaction with the risperidon but im not sure) who gave her all the problems, because she only got all those problems after she got citalopram. The doctors of course, do not believe this and have now recently (a few months ago)  diagnosed her with "ADHD" , which could not be more wrong! So now they have given her "Vyvance" simular to ritalin containing amphetamine etc. and she has become more aggressive, no appetite etc. I think it will make it all so much worse and worry a lot about it, but my family have told me to shut up and stay out of it! The doctors also want her off both citalopram and risperidone and they will do it in a few months! No one believes in me when i try to warn them, and my sister is so brainwashed by doctors. This is very difficult and stressful for me, as I feel I'm losing my sister, nor do my family want me to tell her about the side effects of the medicine. I do not know what to do with this!? 

Hi GFD I totally understand everything here and you will have to get to some peace with the fact they don't want to know for what ever reason ,I have a lot of experience with this ,I'm desperate for my brother to see sense with health issues but I'm done worrying ,we simply cant make ourselves sick ,could you imagine the scenario that all your family is getting on with life and your worrying yourself sick ,you could even get in the situation were you become the most unhealthiest person from worry in your family.

Take a step back after giving all the information you can and maybe some day it will sink in .

Depending on your family dynamic they wont even listen to you anyway .not a judgement on you of course ,its just the way family's work.

Loving someone isn't about worrying ourselves sick .you need to live your own life as best and healthy you can and maybe your family will see you have healthier habits and it will click.

I wasted countless hours trying to explain everything to some family .it doesn't work and it will never work .

No one has lost sleep over my disastrous 2 years of withdrawl[maybe my mam ] .

There's a lot to be said for minding our own business ,it creates clarity and peace .

Direct your sister and family to this site and the other great awareness sites when there ready .

Don't ever stop being kind and helpful just find places were it will be acknowledged and appreciated .

Take care . 

GirlfromD
17 hours ago, powerback said:

Hi GFD I totally understand everything here and you will have to get to some peace with the fact they don't want to know for what ever reason ,I have a lot of experience with this ,I'm desperate for my brother to see sense with health issues but I'm done worrying ,we simply cant make ourselves sick ,could you imagine the scenario that all your family is getting on with life and your worrying yourself sick ,you could even get in the situation were you become the most unhealthiest person from worry in your family.

Take a step back after giving all the information you can and maybe some day it will sink in .

Depending on your family dynamic they wont even listen to you anyway .not a judgement on you of course ,its just the way family's work.

Loving someone isn't about worrying ourselves sick .you need to live your own life as best and healthy you can and maybe your family will see you have healthier habits and it will click.

I wasted countless hours trying to explain everything to some family .it doesn't work and it will never work .

No one has lost sleep over my disastrous 2 years of withdrawl[maybe my mam ] .

There's a lot to be said for minding our own business ,it creates clarity and peace .

Direct your sister and family to this site and the other great awareness sites when there ready .

Don't ever stop being kind and helpful just find places were it will be acknowledged and appreciated .

Take care . 

Hi Powerback. thanks a lot for your response, much appreciated.

Yes, you're completely right, it feels like they do not want to know anything at all about all this. And it's so true, I often feel that I'm getting sick just over worries about all thats with my sister, and we constantly fight over all the problems. I can imagine the scenario you just described there, and that would just be awful but so realistic.

Do you have any suggestions for what I can do in terms of not interfering with it anymore, are there any methods you use in relation to your brother? I am talking to my sister almost daily (she calls a lot), and currently I live at my father's house, and she also calls him almost daily to discuss, and fight over money issues.

I know that too well also, not many in my family seems to understand the severity of withdrawal or understand the dynamics of it, and if a person in my family has a headache, that person gets 10 times more comfort, sympathy and care than I do.

Maybe one day it will sink in and they will get it, all i can do is hope. 

Right now they look at me as really ill and unhealthy etc. and they think it's because I quit the meds for good, and they will not have the same thing happening to my sister, because they believe its a very bad thing to go against doctors and all that, you know. I will have to move on with my life and try not to worry so much. 

powerback

It's well worth the effort to give up useless worry ,I'm flabbergasted at what I used to listen to and get involved with myself .but it had to do with me also ,not just them.

There's some interesting stuff I've learned over the past couple years ,I'le make a note of some of it and get back to you .it takes a while but worth it .

I'm practicing a while now to not get involved with drama and it's great .

Maybe get some Hobby's to get you out of house for now .

We tend to look at situations and others with our own perspective and forget they have there own thoughts.

I won't even take phone calls from freinds because they just want to dump on someone else .

Take care 

SkyBlue
23 hours ago, GirlfromD said:

I was not sure where to post this, so I'm trying here, postet this on another thread and someone suggested i could try here. Hope someone can help.

And I worry a lot about it, but my family and others have told me to shut up and stay out of it! The doctors also want her off both citalopram and risperidone and they will do it in a few months! 

It is heartbreaking to me how no one, no doctors or family can see this, besides me! And i'm afraid it will have huge consequences one day.

My heart goes out to you for what you and your sister have been through. 

It certainly sounds like the drugs are responsible, since, as you said, all the problems started only after citalopram. 

Is your sister wanting help to taper off, or are you mainly looking for support for yourself as a carer? (either is fine). 

If your sister wants off the drugs, and wants to do so more safely/slowly than her doctors want, you have a lot of information and your own lived experience to help her, which is so valuable. 

Some people have tapered off without their doctors knowing (for example, our Brassmonkey), or more slowly than their doctors know (like me). It can be done.

Do you have any techniques to help yourself cope with things? Taking care of yourself is so important. Please let us know how you and your sister are doing.

GirlfromD
46 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

My heart goes out to you for what you and your sister have been through. 

It certainly sounds like the drugs are responsible, since, as you said, all the problems started only after citalopram. 

Is your sister wanting help to taper off, or are you mainly looking for support for yourself as a carer? (either is fine). 

If your sister wants off the drugs, and wants to do so more safely/slowly than her doctors want, you have a lot of information and your own lived experience to help her, which is so valuable. 

Some people have tapered off without their doctors knowing (for example, our Brassmonkey), or more slowly than their doctors know (like me). It can be done.

Do you have any techniques to help yourself cope with things? Taking care of yourself is so important. Please let us know how you and your sister are doing.

Thank you so much SkyeBlue! 

Yes, I really think too, it's the citalopram that is the fault of the problems. My sister is not looking for help to tapper out of the medicine yet (unfortunately), as she does not quite understand the difficulties around this whole thing, but I hope one day she will, and seek help to tapper more safely, so I'm currently looking for advice and guidance for myself. 

I could really use some techniques and advices to help cope with things, and maybe not worry so much abot the whole thing. Its also very exhausting fighting with her all the time (we fight a lot) over her issues and her not recognising it. We talk on the phone almost daily and a lot of times those calls ends up in big discussions.

I also tappered myself out of my medicine without my doctors knowing it because they always thought my symptoms were from depression etc. and not bad side effects wanting to high my dose or prescribe some new pills, so I ended up doing it myself.

I will try and update how things evolve over time.

Rosetta

Hi 

My advice would be to avoid trying to make your sister see your point of view.  This is what causes you to argue.  She is under the spell of the drugs that make her believe she is right about everything.  I know this is difficult as you want to save her and you love her.  I'm sure you need her, too.  What I have to say will be difficult for you to hear, but I say it from a place of deep empathy for you and your painful situation.

My husband went through what you are experiencing when I was on Zoloft.  He describes the process as he would heroin addiction.  The patient must be the one to decide to make the change.  No amount of pressure from others will cause that to happen.  Your sister will have to decide she doesn't trust her doctors.  She will have to decide to make the change.  All you can do is be there to catch her when she falls.  If you remain available, there will come a time when she has no one but you if your family members continue to believe the doctors.

I have been off ADs for 15 months.  I can now see how spellbound I was. (Peter Breggin talks about this effect of ADs in some of his books.). There was no way to reach me -- none -- zilch -- nada.  Part of the problem is that the drugs make the patient feel strong and capable even when all evidence to the contrary is splashed everywhere for all to see.  Eventually, the patient becomes so sick that she wants to get better more than anything else in the world.  She stops caring about being right, and she realizes that the doctors have simply made her condition worse.  This will probably happen when the doctors take away the citalopram and risperadone.  

I know now you would rather your sister taper the risperadone and citalopram slowly.  I wish the doctors knew that is necessary.  On the other hand. ADHD drugs and ADs can be a bad combination.  So, in the long run, maybe things will work out ok.  Your sister might heal faster than you have.  I hope so.  

This is the most important thing for you to know: none of this is your fault.  You cannot save your sister.  Only she can do that.  You are not responsible for making her go off the drugs or for making her go off the drugs the right way.  Do not blame yourself.  This is 1000% the fault of her doctors!  You are completely powerless in the face of their power.  You are completely powerless in the face of the drugs' power over your sister's brain.  All you can do is try to be there for her when she falls.

My mother is on 20 mg of Prozac.  She's 76.  I know Prozac is going to kill her, and there is nothing I can do.  She will be too old to go through WD when it happens to her, and she would never, ever trust my word over a doctor's even if she was not spellbound.    I've told her all about taking the Prozac every day, never missing, how she will have to taper, not to switch drugs -- the whole thing.  But she will switch when the drug stops working and the doctor tells her to switch, and I will have no say in the matter.  If it happens soon -- before I am well -- I will not be able to help her.  Right now I would be too sick to do so.  I tell you all this to let you know that I understand how heartrenching it is to be in your position.

This "psychiatric treatment" with drugs will be seen as the thalidomide of our time someday.  It's very painful to know the truth while the medical machine marches relentlessly along.

I agree with SkyBlue -- take good care of yourself.  You will need to be ready to help your sister, and you will also need to be ready to focus on yourself if and when your sister has WD.  Caring for her may cause your WD to come back in a wave or two.  You should insist that your other family members take the bulk of the responsibility of caring for your sister so that you can get well completely.  After you are well you can help your sister pick up the pieces.  Do not sacrifice yourself because if you do neither one of you will have support.  The caregiver must put her own health first or no one gets well.

Just remember -- some people are extraordinarily lucky to have a short WD when they come off these drugs.  We don't know why, but it's possible your sister will be one of them.

Peace, Rosetta

GirlfromD
6 hours ago, powerback said:

It's well worth the effort to give up useless worry ,I'm flabbergasted at what I used to listen to and get involved with myself .but it had to do with me also ,not just them.

There's some interesting stuff I've learned over the past couple years ,I'le make a note of some of it and get back to you .it takes a while but worth it .

I'm practicing a while now to not get involved with drama and it's great .

Maybe get some Hobby's to get you out of house for now .

We tend to look at situations and others with our own perspective and forget they have there own thoughts.

I won't even take phone calls from freinds because they just want to dump on someone else .

Take care 

Thank you very much, I appreciate it.

I also think I will practice to keep myself out of the situations that may end up in big disagreements, and yes maybe get myself out of the house a little bit more. I always think i can change peoples mind about all these problems, but it just tends to make situations even worse.

I haven't spoken to friends during most of my withdrawal, it have been too difficult during these hard times, I have only been around my family during all this, and I can't even describe how difficult it has been at times. Also because withdrawal gives moodswings, you love them,  then you hate them, and at the same time they do not understand what's going on, and don't even try to. 

SkyBlue

GirlfromD, you're welcome.

I actually did merge your new thread back into this one. The Intros section is more for people seeking tapering/withdrawal help, and it sounds like your sister is not currently tapering. (However, maybe she will in the future, and at that time you will be a great resource for her and of course this site can help as well.)

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, and please know that this forum (Relationships) is a good place for you to discuss your very valid concerns. That's why it is here. : ) 

It's just that it's a separate thing from current withdrawal situations.

Perhaps your own healing will be inspirational for her. I also have loved ones who are not interested in tapering their psych drugs. I am hoping to help them in the future when I'm able, and they're able to see how much better off I am off them. I am so glad your sister has you. 

GirlfromD
16 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Hi 

My advice would be to avoid trying to make your sister see your point of view.  This is what causes you to argue.  She is under the spell of the drugs that make her believe she is right about everything.  I know this is difficult as you want to save her and you love her.  I'm sure you need her, too.  What I have to say will be difficult for you to hear, but I say it from a place of deep empathy for you and your painful situation.

My husband went through what you are experiencing when I was on Zoloft.  He describes the process as he would heroin addiction.  The patient must be the one to decide to make the change.  No amount of pressure from others will cause that to happen.  Your sister will have to decide she doesn't trust her doctors.  She will have to decide to make the change.  All you can do is be there to catch her when she falls.  If you remain available, there will come a time when she has no one but you if your family members continue to believe the doctors.

I have been off ADs for 15 months.  I can now see how spellbound I was. (Peter Breggin talks about this effect of ADs in some of his books.). There was no way to reach me -- none -- zilch -- nada.  Part of the problem is that the drugs make the patient feel strong and capable even when all evidence to the contrary is splashed everywhere for all to see.  Eventually, the patient becomes so sick that she wants to get better more than anything else in the world.  She stops caring about being right, and she realizes that the doctors have simply made her condition worse.  This will probably happen when the doctors take away the citalopram and risperadone.  

I know now you would rather your sister taper the risperadone and citalopram slowly.  I wish the doctors knew that is necessary.  On the other hand. ADHD drugs and ADs can be a bad combination.  So, in the long run, maybe things will work out ok.  Your sister might heal faster than you have.  I hope so.  

This is the most important thing for you to know: none of this is your fault.  You cannot save your sister.  Only she can do that.  You are not responsible for making her go off the drugs or for making her go off the drugs the right way.  Do not blame yourself.  This is 1000% the fault of her doctors!  You are completely powerless in the face of their power.  You are completely powerless in the face of the drugs' power over your sister's brain.  All you can do is try to be there for her when she falls.

My mother is on 20 mg of Prozac.  She's 76.  I know Prozac is going to kill her, and there is nothing I can do.  She will be too old to go through WD when it happens to her, and she would never, ever trust my word over a doctor's even if she was not spellbound.    I've told her all about taking the Prozac every day, never missing, how she will have to taper, not to switch drugs -- the whole thing.  But she will switch when the drug stops working and the doctor tells her to switch, and I will have no say in the matter.  If it happens soon -- before I am well -- I will not be able to help her.  Right now I would be too sick to do so.  I tell you all this to let you know that I understand how heartrenching it is to be in your position.

This "psychiatric treatment" with drugs will be seen as the thalidomide of our time someday.  It's very painful to know the truth while the medical machine marches relentlessly along.

I agree with SkyBlue -- take good care of yourself.  You will need to be ready to help your sister, and you will also need to be ready to focus on yourself if and when your sister has WD.  Caring for her may cause your WD to come back in a wave or two.  You should insist that your other family members take the bulk of the responsibility of caring for your sister so that you can get well completely.  After you are well you can help your sister pick up the pieces.  Do not sacrifice yourself because if you do neither one of you will have support.  The caregiver must put her own health first or no one gets well.

Just remember -- some people are extraordinarily lucky to have a short WD when they come off these drugs.  We don't know why, but it's possible your sister will be one of them.

Peace, Rosetta

Hello Rosetta, and thank you very much for your response.

I think you are absolutely right in everything you said and thank you for sharing some of your story and personal experience too, that is very much appreciated 😊.

It makes very good sense of what you said, that she is under "the spell of medicine", and feels she's right in everything and no arguments can make her change her mind about her situation, except herself. it doesn't help that I try to convince her and push her to make the decision, to safely tapper etc. she has to make that decision , thanks for making me realize this. I will let her make the decision herself, and if she should decide one day that she wants to get out of her meds safely and needs my help or advice and guidance, I will be there for her. 

As you describe, I also see how spellbound I was, looking back, and I too felt I could handle so much, were so strong when medicated, though the truth was unfortunately another one, i see that now clearly and sometimes with big regret. I have to remember and remind myself that my sister is under that same spell too. I hope things will work out better for her than it did for me, and that she will have an easier time getting off the medicine, and you're right maybe she will, it is possible.

I always had the idea that I should and could save her and that I had the responsibility to do so, maybe also because she is my "little sister" and I always looked after her, even when we grew up, ridiculously since were both adults now. I have to try and accept it, just like you said, get well myself first, and then help her if and when she needs me, and try not to blame myself if she falls.

I am sorry for your mom and you hope it gets better for both of you, it must be tough and I recognize having spent hours also trying to explain my sister everything about this whole thing without results. I now understand much better why it is so difficult for her to understand, thanks for bringing things in a larger perspective for me.

I also think one day this "psychiatric treatment" will be seen as one of the biggest crimes against humanity, and that people will discover the truth one day hopefully.

I will try to take care of myself for now, you take care too.

GirlfromD
10 hours ago, SkyBlue said:

GirlfromD, you're welcome.

I actually did merge your new thread back into this one. The Intros section is more for people seeking tapering/withdrawal help, and it sounds like your sister is not currently tapering. (However, maybe she will in the future, and at that time you will be a great resource for her and of course this site can help as well.)

I'm not trying to discourage you in any way, and please know that this forum (Relationships) is a good place for you to discuss your very valid concerns. That's why it is here. : ) 

It's just that it's a separate thing from current withdrawal situations.

Perhaps your own healing will be inspirational for her. I also have loved ones who are not interested in tapering their psych drugs. I am hoping to help them in the future when I'm able, and they're able to see how much better off I am off them. I am so glad your sister has you. 

Hi SkyBlue. It's okay, and it's quite true, she's not tapering yet. I also really hope I can help her with it in the future, and when i'm doing better than now, that it maybe can inspire her one day:) It was some really sweet words, your loved ones are lucky to have you too. 

SkyBlue
9 hours ago, GirlfromD said:

Hi SkyBlue. It's okay, and it's quite true, she's not tapering yet. I also really hope I can help her with it in the future, and when i'm doing better than now, that it maybe can inspire her one day:) It was some really sweet words, your loved ones are lucky to have you too. 

Oh, thanks so very much. ❤️