SadGuyCrying Recovering from neurological impairment caused by antipsychotics

SadGuyCrying

Hello. About 6 months ago I was hospitalized and put on risperdal against my will. I was diagnosed as bi polar and given the medication over the course of 21 days, beginning with a pill and ending with two injectables. I was scheduled for a third injection three months after being released, but as the symptoms were impossible to cope with, my psychiatrist put me on abillify instead. After less than a month, I discontinued the medication completely cold turkey and I haven't been back to see him since.

Here are some of the symptoms I've noticed for the past 3 months since discontinuing the medications.

-akathisia

-mild gynecomastia

-emotional flatness

-inabillity to read or retain information ( I used to read about a book a week before the medication)

-increased joint pain

-terrible anxiety and agoraphobia

-erectile dysfunction and an empty sex drive/diminished orgasms

-severe weight gain

Anyways, a whole myriad of symptoms began to occur, but my main concern is permanent neurological impairment or alteration caused from this medication. I've read that these medications are actually neurotoxic, that they shrink the brain or even cause brain cells to die, all sorts of terrible stuff like that - and I'm terrified. I don't know what to do or how to cope.

Is there anybody out there with similar experiences? If so, how long has it taken you to recover, if you recovered at all?

I feel like I've basically been lobotomized. I'm only 23, and I couldn't imagine living life like this without some hope of getting better.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

• Altostrata changed the title to SadGuyCrying Recovering from neurological impairement caused by antipsychotics
  • Administrator

Welcome, SGC.

The gynecomastia and weight gain are side effects of the antipsychotics, both injectable and oral.

The rest are withdrawal symptoms. What we see is that these will very, very gradually go away. This might be very frustrating for quite a while.

How are you sleeping?

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hey Sadguy

you might try reading the introduction thread of RisperdolHater.  He was on risperdol for a couple months and lost most of emotions and libido and felt lobotomized.  It took him around a year, but he said he is mostly recovered now.  You could also read Byul's intro.  He recently posted and is in about the same boat as you having  finished a month long treatment of risperdol and still has the  emotional flatness/anhedonia among other side effects.

i have also seen on youtube how medical marijuana can help relieve akathisia.  - the video i saw was of a younger guy who developed akathisia after stopping a med and later found that marijuana would alleviate his symptoms.   his name is Josh Jensen if you look on youtube under "Akathasia".  he has a few videos on there. 

i was given high doses of risperdol myself at the same age as you are now.  I had been committed and forced on the drug in 1995-96.  it gave me brain damage to the point i was incapable of speech and had shiny eye sockets along with horrific akathisia.  all of it went away for me when i went in for ECT and and was taken off of the risperdol.  i was only given the pill form of the drug and didn't have the injections which is probably why the effects of the drug went away after a few days off of it.

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

I've been using cannabis to try and alleviate some of the symptoms, as well as full spectrum THC and CBD oil. I'm worried this might slow down the recovery process in my dopamine receptors though. Cannabis is honestly the only thing that brings me joy anymore. Do you think quitting it would speed up the healing process? 

Any suggestions help. Thank you for the support.

• Administrator
On 5/2/2018 at 12:35 PM, SadGuyCrying said:

-akathisia

-mild gynecomastia

-emotional flatness

-inabillity to read or retain information ( I used to read about a book a week before the medication)

-increased joint pain

-terrible anxiety and agoraphobia

-severe weight gain

Are you still suffering all the above? What effect does cannabis have on these symptoms?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

So far it's helped with the akathasia, and I've read CBD can help balance hormones like prolactin and cortisol and even help with anxiety... I'm just worried taking it will slow down my recovery time in terms of my dopamine receptors.

12 hours ago, SadGuyCrying said:

So far it's helped with the akathasia, and I've read CBD can help balance hormones like prolactin and cortisol and even help with anxiety... I'm just worried taking it will slow down my recovery time in terms of my dopamine receptors.

Hi again Sadguy

i just looked and RisperdalHater is spelt with an "a" instead of an "o" in case you try to do a search for his thread.  it seems he mostly waited out the side effects and slowly healed. 

i just read somewhere of niacin helping someone with similar side effects.  i have taken it (niacin) and experienced a niacin flush where it felt like my whole upper body was sunburnt.  i dont think it was dangerous, but pretty uncomfortable for a couple hours nonetheless.

i wish i could be of more help, but i am in miserable health over here after a cold turkey of zoloft and zyprexa four years ago. 

Anyways

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• Administrator

From what I've seen, the effects of marijuana on withdrawal symptoms are unpredictable.

To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

• 3 weeks later...

marijuana slows down the recovery of dopamine receptors recycling as the marijuana acts as selectively blocking dopamine recetors to increase plasma dopamine levels which gives you a high at the cost of wearing out selective dopamine receptors.So in long run you might rather have more side effects as you are wearing out the only working dopamine recetors you have got left.Around 20% dopamine receptors are left untouched by antipsychotics.

23rd april2018- 26th april2018-risperdal 1mg

27th october2018- 31st february 2021- clonazepam 0.5mg per day

March 2021- February 2022- Abilify 10mg or 20mg per day

+ few other antidepressants i recheck and write names

• Administrator
3 hours ago, jamesbond747 said:

marijuana slows down the recovery of dopamine receptors recycling as the marijuana acts as selectively blocking dopamine recetors to increase plasma dopamine levels which gives you a high at the cost of wearing out selective dopamine receptors.So in long run you might rather have more side effects as you are wearing out the only working dopamine recetors you have got left.Around 20% dopamine receptors are left untouched by antipsychotics.

Marijuana is not at all selective. It affects people differently; if their nervous systems have been sensitized by psychiatric drug withdrawal, the effect may be very unpleasant.

jamesbond747, please start an Introductions topic for yourself so we can get to know you.

ok i am sorry that was for cocaine not marijuana.

23rd april2018- 26th april2018-risperdal 1mg

27th october2018- 31st february 2021- clonazepam 0.5mg per day

March 2021- February 2022- Abilify 10mg or 20mg per day

+ few other antidepressants i recheck and write names

• ChessieCat changed the title to SadGuyCrying Recovering from neurological impairment caused by antipsychotics
  • 7 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 4:56 AM, SadGuyCrying said:

Hello. About 6 months ago I was hospitalized and put on risperdal against my will. I was diagnosed as bi polar and given the medication over the course of 21 days, beginning with a pill and ending with two injectables. I was scheduled for a third injection three months after being released, but as the symptoms were impossible to cope with, my psychiatrist put me on abillify instead. After less than a month, I discontinued the medication completely cold turkey and I haven't been back to see him since.

Here are some of the symptoms I've noticed for the past 3 months since discontinuing the medications.

-akathisia

-mild gynecomastia

-emotional flatness

-increased joint pain

-terrible anxiety and agoraphobia

-severe weight gain

Anyways, a whole myriad of symptoms began to occur, but my main concern is permanent neurological impairment or alteration caused from this medication. I've read that these medications are actually neurotoxic, that they shrink the brain or even cause brain cells to die, all sorts of terrible stuff like that - and I'm terrified. I don't know what to do or how to cope.

Is there anybody out there with similar experiences? If so, how long has it taken you to recover, if you recovered at all?

I feel like I've basically been lobotomized. I'm only 23, and I couldn't imagine living life like this without some hope of getting better.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

SadGuyCrying how are you today?

Risperdal 3 mg 2014-2015

Abilify 10 mg 2015-2017

Risperdal consta 37,5 mg 2017

Latuda 37 mg 2018

• 2 years later...

Been in the same situation for about 7 months after quitting risperidone. Heavy cognitive impairment with sexual dysfunction. Also i am facing the same issue of not being able to read and retain information. 

How are you doing now?? 

20th aug 2020-5th sept2020 :1mg risperidone slipped in food.