Jump to content
Justcope

JustCope - dealing with the bad days??

Recommended Posts

Justcope

Hi! 

This is my first day on here as a participant and not just an observer. 

Ive been in Lexapro for around 5 years after having anxiety after some life changes. I found that it wasn’t really working for me so went off to the GP who wanted to taper me off in 2 weeks yo get on to something new. I decided I didn’t want to go into something new after doing further research on AD’s, withdrawal etc.

so I decided to slow down my tapering myself. The drop from 20-10 was a bit difficult but eventually I was having more good days than bad so after about 4-5 weeks, I took the plunge and dropped to 5mg. 

 

This drop is proving difficult. I have not had many physical symptoms, but emotionally I’m a wreck. I’ve  been on 5mg for about 5 weeks and the last 3 weeks have been unbearable. High anxiety daily, crying spells, irrational anger- luckily I can control it around my beautiful husband who is super supportive and keeping me on track. 

I have constant fear that this is now me normally and I’ll never be my happy chirpy self again. I fear I will ruin my life, scare my husband away, that I’ll need to back on medication, I’ll never be calm/normal again. 

 

Just wanted to know- are these typical/normal fears that a lot of people experience during withdrawal? What helps to stop you from going backwards and back onto AD’s? 

Any thoughts are appreciated. 

 

JustCope. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Welcome, JustCope.

 

You are tapering too fast, and your nervous system is complaining. If I were you, I would immediately go up to 6mg Lexapro to start. This small increase might be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms.

 

This topic explains how to take a small dose Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

 

You'd stabilize on the slightly higher dose for a month or so, then I would taper off much slower. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope

Thanks Altostrata. 

This is something to consider and talk to the GP about. I’m in Australia- I dont know if there is a liquid form of lexapro here.. and cutting tablets is a bit difficult- I think my cutting of the 10mg tablets is all over the place! 

thankyou for the link also. I never realised that lexapro was so strong compared to other SSRI’s. Another thing that makes me cranky that I was never informed about 😩 

I will consider the increase - I’m trying not to see it as a failure, just trial and error 😳 

JustCope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Blondiee1915

Justcope - your taper was too fast for sure.  The doctors do not think it is an issue and take you off and on the drugs in substantial doses.  But what you are experiencing are for sure WD symptoms .  I myself after a quick taper from lexapro was an emotional mess (I tried to quit a few times and each time I had these symptoms).  Particularly crying and being emotional and also anger which really scarred me because I am not an angry person at all.  I remember one time I was walking my dog and she stopped to sniff something and I literary started screaming at her .  This was 5 years ago after my 2nd or 3rd attempt to get over lexapro.  I still remember that day as I was definitely not myself and I had apologized to my dog about that incident (my poor baby).  But it does go away,  just be patient and gentle with yourself and try to stabilize on 5 mg or go up a bit to help with symptoms.  It will be okay 

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

It's unlikely your doctor will know anything about tapering or withdrawal symptoms. That's why this site exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope
4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It's unlikely your doctor will know anything about tapering or withdrawal symptoms. That's why this site exists.

I agree. Any information on tapering I’m getting off here. The docs at the medical centre I go to dont have a clue. I think if I go back to discuss the symptoms, they will blame it on me, and tell me I need to be on another medication 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope
4 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Justcope - your taper was too fast for sure.  The doctors do not think it is an issue and take you off and on the drugs in substantial doses.  But what you are experiencing are for sure WD symptoms .  I myself after a quick taper from lexapro was an emotional mess (I tried to quit a few times and each time I had these symptoms).  Particularly crying and being emotional and also anger which really scarred me because I am not an angry person at all.  I remember one time I was walking my dog and she stopped to sniff something and I literary started screaming at her .  This was 5 years ago after my 2nd or 3rd attempt to get over lexapro.  I still remember that day as I was definitely not myself and I had apologized to my dog about that incident (my poor baby).  But it does go away,  just be patient and gentle with yourself and try to stabilize on 5 mg or go up a bit to help with symptoms.  It will be okay 

Oh! I’ve done similar thing to my dog! My poor boy. I got so angry one time I told my husband maybe frodo ( my dog) should go live with my in-laws! I felt so horrible and my husband got a bit upset. I apologised to frodo and my husband. At least my husband knows to take these things like a grain of salt at the moment! 

I cry really easily. This I don’t mind as much because I have barely cried for 5 years! 

Its the anxiety, racing thoughts, catastophising that’s hard to handle. This is when I feel like I e relapsed, and as though it’s not withdrawal. I would cope better with physical symptoms- at least I know where it’s coming from. But the emotional symptoms? They are hard. They tell me I’m crazy. That I will be forever unless a go back on meds. 😞

Share this post


Link to post
Audrey88

Hi, I know your pain going through this ,I too have alot of crying spells, anxiety, depression and anger for no good reason. But it does get a little better each day. What helped me was changing my eating habits to a much healthier one making blended drinks like all veggies or oatmeal and fruit. 5 HTP has helped rebuild my serotonin and magnesium helps relax you. There is a brand of magnesium powder called " CALM by Natural Vitality" very relaxing. What helps me is distraction so house cleaning , walking around stores, a lot of jogging exercise Zumba even. It helps get your mind off of it for a little bit. Avoid all sugar, caffine and alcohol it will only make things a lot worse. If you can I would also suggest seeing a Naturopathic doctor in your area, I saw one yesterday and she gave me some great advice. I really hope you feel better soon. I'm here for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Kristine
13 minutes ago, Audrey88 said:

5 HTP has helped rebuild my serotonin 

Hey Audrey, Apologies but please don't recommend 5htp, particually to someone such as @Justcope who is still taking a SSRI (escitalopram)...there is a MAJOR drug interaction between the two...please see below...

Interactions between your drugs

Major

5-hydroxytryptophan escitalopram

Applies to:5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) and Lexapro (escitalopram) 

Using 5-hydroxytryptophan together with escitalopram is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope

Yikes! Good to know. 

Im only taking magnesium and omega 3 at present. I was taking vitamin b but I felt there was a bit of a trigger in it- I would feel anxious at times after taking it. 

My diets  been a bit bad lately after having had a cold for the last 2 weeks. That’s also meant that I have not gone for my walks in that time, which I was doing daily. 

We are entering into winter here in Australia so finding the motivation to go out for a walk is very hard. Just need to push through maybe.. I’m starting to want to hyberbate at present! 

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope
2 hours ago, Justcope said:

Have not been to the dr yet. I need to check if Australia has liquid form of lexapro 

Just read about spirals. My biggest issue. Thankyou for sharing this with me! I will read and re read this until it sinks in then try to apply it. Hopefully along with meditation I can calm the symptoms down.

Share this post


Link to post
Altostrata

Yes, we have seen that B vitamins are often activating.

 

Please consult Dr. Google to see if liquid escilatopram is available in Australia. Please note we have given you instructions for making your own liquid.

Share this post


Link to post
bubbles

 

Hello JustCope

 

On 5/4/2018 at 5:52 AM, Justcope said:

Thanks Altostrata. 

This is something to consider and talk to the GP about. I’m in Australia- I dont know if there is a liquid form of lexapro here.. and cutting tablets is a bit difficult- I think my cutting of the 10mg tablets is all over the place! 

thankyou for the link also. I never realised that lexapro was so strong compared to other SSRI’s. Another thing that makes me cranky that I was never informed about 😩 

I will consider the increase - I’m trying not to see it as a failure, just trial and error 😳 

JustCope. 

 

Yes, liquid Lexapro is available in Australia. It tastes awful, but you get used to it. Or I did. I had the brand Lexapro; I couldn't find a generic.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope
7 hours ago, bubbles said:

 

Hello JustCope

 

 

Yes, liquid Lexapro is available in Australia. It tastes awful, but you get used to it. Or I did. I had the brand Lexapro; I couldn't find a generic.

 

 

Thanks bubbles! 

Will head to GP and request liquid. 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
bubbles

JustCope,

 

:)

 

I think seeing this as trial and error is important. I bombed after a too-fast Lexapro taper and now I'm doing extremely well crawling down from Sertraline.

Share this post


Link to post
Justcope

Thanks for the wise words bubbles 🙂 

I’m a little bummed at the idea of going up, but the alternative is that I’ll put myself back on my original dose - that’s how I feel on the bad days. 

Alto suggested going up to 6mg so I guess that’s not too bad. 

 

Im glad to hear you are doing extremely well! It’s posts like yours that keep me going and give me hope. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.