Tmhoule: Was on lex stopped now looking at meds again!! Please help

Tmhoule

Hi everyone! I am new here, and for the past almost week I have been reading all of this invaluable information and learning so much.

My journey goes back to June 2016 when after a jaw surgery that wouldn't heal I found my self extremely stressed not sleeping due to pain and overwhelmed which forces my Dr to offer me a script for citalopram 10mg to get me through my trying time. My Dr said to give it 6 months and then I could wean off. The meds worked like a charm and I breezed through the 6 months and came off with a few brain zaps and a few headaches for a couples weeks and then it was done. 

Skip forward to June 2017 when I wound up catching strep throat from my son which ended with a script for antibiotics and a horrid case of c. Diff as a result of antibiotics.  Again my health anxiety shot through the roof and my Dr once again offered a ssri to get me through. This time escitalopram 10mg the med worked well without any side effects I was on them from June 2017 - February 2018 when I decided to taper off I went as my Dr suggested from 10mg to 5mg over about 10 days and then went off. I began to feel crummy stomach problems, looser stool (sorry tmi) nausea. I called my Dr she told me to go back on a small dose to see if the symptoms went away, which I went on 2.5mg  and the symptoms went away. I stayed on 2.5mg for about 10 days and again went off. I did good from the end of Feb- mid April. Looking at my journal I was off almost 11 weeks. And then once again symptoms restarted GI type (not sure if that's a common thing after ssris) reflux/heartburn type symptoms, fatigue,  and some increasing anxiety. 2 days ago I called my Dr and she recommends I start back on 10 mg of citalopram.  I took 5mg of citalopram today. But am worried if I should continue, what is the best way to proceed? Should I continue on with citalopram or should I try to power through off of meds? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance. 

June 2015- Dec 2015 on citalopram 10mg for anxiety. Discontinued with mild symptoms of brain zaps and mild headache for 2 weeks.

June 2017- Feb 2018 escitalopram 10mg. Weened off in Feb 2018 per Dr instruction went 10mg to 5mg for 10 days and then stopped. Became I'll with diarrhea, nausea Dr instructed to restart small dose went on 2.5mg which cleared symptoms for 10 days then stopped.  Have been off escitalopram for 11 weeks and starred with symptoms of reflux, chest tightness,  increasing anxiety. Not every day but off and on dr recommends now restarting citalopram 10mg.

Update******

So yesterday 5/10 I took 5mg of citalopram which definitely helped me feel calmer and made my chest discomfort and GI symptoms go away. 

However i did noticed some possibly increased tinnitus in the evening. I had no problems falling asleep but have woke very suddenly at 2 a.m. with an over whelming sense of anxiety!! Very unlike me and has not happened to me since June 2017 before starting the escitalopram!!!

So what gives? Why is my body doing this to itself??

June 2015- Dec 2015 on citalopram 10mg for anxiety. Discontinued with mild symptoms of brain zaps and mild headache for 2 weeks.

June 2017- Feb 2018 escitalopram 10mg. Weened off in Feb 2018 per Dr instruction went 10mg to 5mg for 10 days and then stopped. Became I'll with diarrhea, nausea Dr instructed to restart small dose went on 2.5mg which cleared symptoms for 10 days then stopped.  Have been off escitalopram for 11 weeks and starred with symptoms of reflux, chest tightness,  increasing anxiety. Not every day but off and on dr recommends now restarting citalopram 10mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tmhoule, welcome to SA.  It's great that you'v been reading here - there's a lot of useful information.

It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, listing drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings. See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

It looks like you did a very rapid taper from escitalopram and have experienced withdrawal symptoms from that.  Citalopram contains escitalopram so reinstating it seems a reasonable option.  The fast escitalopram withdrawal, then starting and stopping again may have left your system quite sensitive, and it may be that the 5mg of citalopram is a little too much for your system to handle now, which could be causing the anxiety.  I would consider trying a smaller dose of citalopram - perhaps 2.5mg per day instead of the 5mg.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Songbird changed the title to Tmhoule: Was on lex stopped now looking at meds again!! Please help

Songbird, 

Thank you so much for your reply! I will go into your link asap and add my info.

At this point taking only 1 dose of citalopram in your opinion would I benefit from reinstating or should I forgo reinstatement and see what happens?

My biggest fear is restarting meds and then having to go through the coming off process again.

This is all so over whelming and it's difficult to see the light at the end as of now, but I still have hope. I breezed through my first experience back in 2015 no problems. I guess I assumed the second would be the same, boy is that far from the case.

• Moderator Emeritus

I believe it can become more difficult to get off these meds every time you use them.  I got off SSRIs the first two times (2001 and 2003) with very few problems, and then the third time on I got "stuck".

It can be difficult to predict how a reinstatement will go.  Since you earlier posted that you had some immediate improvement in symptoms, I think it is possible you might benefit from reinstating.  My concern is also that withdrawal could become more severe and a reinstatement could help to prevent that.

For more information about reinstating, see:  about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I know it can seem like a backward step to go back on and have to go through the coming-off process again, but the coming-off process we go for here is different - we recommend very slow tapering, which takes longer but is much gentler on the body. 

Here is some more info about slow tapering:  Why taper by 10% of my dosage

Because these drugs usually only come in a large-dose pill, such as 20mg, you'll need to find a way to get the precise doses needed for the small dose drops.  Some people use a liquid suspension, while others use a digital scale to weigh pill pieces or powder.  We can help you with that as needed.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

3 hours ago, Tmhoule said:

Songbird, 

Thank you so much for your reply! I will go into your link asap and add my info.

At this point taking only 1 dose of citalopram in your opinion would I benefit from reinstating or should I forgo reinstatement and see what happens?

My biggest fear is restarting meds and then having to go through the coming off process again.

This is all so over whelming and it's difficult to see the light at the end as of now, but I still have hope. I breezed through my first experience back in 2015 no problems. I guess I assumed the second would be the same, boy is that far from the case.

I have taken the citalopram but it seems to be making me extremely sick, horribly loud ringing in my ears and nausea and just a feeling of on edge. Is this a common occurrence? My Dr thinks I need to add some clonazepam for a couple weeks until my body adjusts to the citalopram. I hate to throw more drugs into the mix but I am seriously losing my mind with all of this. 

Do some people. It tolerate reinstating? Am I having problems because I went from escitalopram to citalopram?

I'm sorry for all of the questions. I am just very uneducated with all of this. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Don't be sorry for all of the questions - that is what this site is here for.  We will try to help you as best we can.

If I understand correctly, on 10 May you took 5mg citalopram and felt better afterwards, then 11 May you took 2.5mg citalopram (or did you take 5mg again?) and felt worse afterwards?

What time of day did you take the citalopram and when did the symptoms begin after your dose?  It is important we know the doses, dates and times of day to figure out what is happening.  It would also help if you could list symptoms and what times of day you have them, or when they improve or worsen.

Reinstatement can be tricky, I'll see what the other mods think.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

Yes on May 10th about 11 a.m. I took my first 5mg dose of citalopram. I felt great most of the day, that evening about I was able to fall asleep without trouble but woke very abruptly at 2 a.m. with a racing heart very anxious feeling and could not get back to sleep until about 430 a.m. I got my kids up and off to school and then about 730 a.m. on the 11th I went to take my next dose of citalopram thinking that the 5mg the previous day may have been to much I only took 2.5mg. About 45 minutes or so after taking this I started what seemed to panic attack type symptoms clenched jaw, very jittery panicky feeling, crying. So I immediately called my Dr. She called in a clonazepam 0.5 mg to the pharmacy and wanted me to pick up and take right away.  My pharmacy doesn't open until 9 a.m. and this was happening at about 8a.m. I was able to take a shower and calm myself down before taking the clonazepam but went and picked up the meds once pharmacy opened and took one. I then went on to see my Dr at noon, I was feeling calm at that point and explained all of this to her and her belief is that I had a panic attack in the middle if the night unrelated to the citalopram.  She instructed me to go forward with citalopram 5mg and to use the clonazepam prn for the first 1-2 weeks until the med settles in. Her plan with me is she wants me on citalopram 10mg for no less than a year and then she will possible let me taper off. 

Do I have to wait the full year? It seems a little excessive in my eyes. She says my body needs that long to build up my serotonin level before I would come off. 

Today May 12th I am feeling really good not sure if it's from the meds I took a half of clonazepam 0.5mg before bed last night. I woke thus morning calm and no anxiety I took my 5mg of citalopram this morning about 830 a.m and now at 945 I am still feeling good and have not needed any clonazepam. 

I'm also interested in CBT therapy has anyone has success with this for their anxiety?  

I guess at this point it looks as though I'm going the reinstating route since I've been back on citalopram for a few days but am really hoping that at some point in the future I can successfully come off these meds. It seems like the only time I've ever needed them is when I've had a couple major health issues otherwise when I've been off them I am usually fine. 

Any suggestions on how long I should stay on them? Should I do a year as Dr suggests should I also go up to the 10mg that she wants me on? Just looking for guidance from others who have maybe had better experience with this. I trust my Dr but as others have said I don't think they are truly educated or fail to acknowledge the withdrawal process. Since my Dr had suggested me jump into 10mg right off the bat I think I would have really did myself in. Just goes to show how much they have to learn about this yet. 

Hi, 

Before being off the citalopram, I had to reinstate 3 times at the full dose of 20 mg, and had to stay on it for a couple of years. This was the only way to feel confident enough, in order to try weening off again, and finally able to stop it. 

Fortunately, it worked again and again without problem, if you exclude the first 3-4 weeks of adjustment! 

Best regards 

Kostas 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

Kostas thanks for the info.  It gives me hope that one day (maybe not soon) that I'll be free of these. 

May I ask how long you've been off and how stopping went for you? 

Hi, 

I am off citalopram 5 anda a half years now. 

Mild withdrawal symptoms, first noticed them in June 2016 almost 4 years after! (heart palpitations, muscle pains, fatigue, light insomnia etc), but gradually faded away and from the beginning of this year I would say that I'm 80%-90% normal again. 

Let's hope for the best, but I still am afraid to organize long-term holidays! 

Take care 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

6 hours ago, Tmhoule said:

CBT therapy

Hello!

I have had some real relief from anxiety and obsessive thinking with CBT. I would highly recommend it as an add on to your toolbox!

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

Kostas

Congrats on that long off meds!! I wish you continued healing!!

DMV64

I really think I'm going to give CBT a go so that once I do ween off I will have more coping skills! I'm glad to hear it has worked for you.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Tmhoule said:

Yes on May 10th about 11 a.m. I took my first 5mg dose of citalopram. I felt great most of the day, that evening about I was able to fall asleep without trouble but woke very abruptly at 2 a.m. with a racing heart very anxious feeling and could not get back to sleep until about 430 a.m. I got my kids up and off to school and then about 730 a.m. on the 11th I went to take my next dose of citalopram thinking that the 5mg the previous day may have been to much I only took 2.5mg. About 45 minutes or so after taking this I started what seemed to panic attack type symptoms clenched jaw, very jittery panicky feeling, crying.

Today May 12th I am feeling really good not sure if it's from the meds I took a half of clonazepam 0.5mg before bed last night. I woke thus morning calm and no anxiety I took my 5mg of citalopram this morning about 830 a.m and now at 945 I am still feeling good and have not needed any clonazepam. 

I'm also interested in CBT therapy has anyone has success with this for their anxiety?  

Welcome, Tm.

It's a very good sign that you quickly had a good response to 5mg citalopram.

It takes about 4 days for citalopram to get to steady-state in your bloodstream. During this time, your system doesn't quite know what's going on. You may have waves and windows of symptoms before the drug takes a more consistent effect. So please consider a week the adjustment period for your trial of citalopram.

The tinnitus may be a withdrawal symptom or it could be a side effect of the drug. When exactly did it start? Did you have tinnitus between the time you went off escitalopram and took citalopram?

Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. The way your symptoms change will indicate whether the citalopram is working as a substitute for escitalopram. Please be very consistent in your citalopram dosing. Use clonazepam as infrequently as possible.

Even if this reinstatement works, you may still get waves and windows of symptoms, though they should progressively lessen in severity and frequency.  Your system has had a shock and it may take time for it to recover.

If you've had health anxiety in the past, if I were you, I'd get CBT or other training in managing your fears. Recovering from withdrawal is no walk in the park; you will be challenged to stay calm, which is essential in getting through this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, Tmhoule said:

Do I have to wait the full year? It seems a little excessive in my eyes.

Any suggestions on how long I should stay on them? Should I do a year as Dr suggests should I also go up to the 10mg that she wants me on? 

I wouldn't worry too much about the doc's recommendation at the moment.  That decision can be made later.  It's early days, and your focus for now is to stabilise.  I would follow Alto's suggestion of sticking with 5mg for a  little while then reevaluate how you're doing. 

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2016  Aug off paroxetine

You are all so wonderful and helpful.

I did notice the tinnitus before starting citalopram but once I took it the 1st dose it maybe seemed a little more pronounced and noticeable.  So hopefully it will settle down once I'm stabilized.  

I will now focus on getting stabilized and check back in from there for further direction. 

One day at a time and I'll get there!

What would I do in the chance that reinstatement wouldn't work? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

I noticed your question and thought I would share my thoughts. It seems like reinstatement is working, so its probably not a good idea to cause yourself extra anxiety right now by worrying about something which might not happen. Its better to focus on positive thoughts and hopeful outcomes because these tend to be more calming for the nervous system. In the unlikely circumstance that reinstatement doesn't work, we can help you consider other options then. But for now, focus on doing what you can to remain calm and help yourself to stabilize.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes