Pandora

Body aches

Pandora

Anyone suffering, suffered from intense muscle aches? Mine started in the right neck/shoulder a few weeks ago - I thought it was from some focused sewing I was working on - and has gotten worse, at times excruciating.

Thnx,

Pandora

Jemima

I started getting really nasty, arthritic-like pains in my hands and hips a month or two into withdrawal. That persisted for several months, but now, nine months since my last crumb of Lexapro, the pains are gone. I think aches and pains are a fairly common side effect of antidepressants, a side effect which gets worse in a too-fast withdrawal.

areyouthere

Anyone suffering, suffered from intense muscle aches? Mine started in the right neck/shoulder a few weeks ago - I thought it was from some focused sewing I was working on - and has gotten worse, at times excruciating.

Thnx,

Pandora

Yes my muscles can get very taught to the point of intense pain. I have learned to use a myo facial release roller on pressure points and it can really make a difference. My calves and hamstrings are the worst. I frequently have jaw pain and have found that once I release the hamstrings ( when I sit on a pressure point I can feel more pain radiating in my jaw and face than my butt!) .. everything being connected. If the roller is too expensive and you don't want to go out on a limb I used a tennis ball cut in half for a long time. I still use a whole one sometimes when the pain is just a nuisance so I'll lie on it on my side in bed.

Sounds crazy but I swear by "releasing" the muscles. It sure works for me.

Oh. And if you are talking about "aches" like deep down to the bone type ache ..not muscle taughtness... the above mentioned technique is useless. I get that too when I am extremely tired , wake up from a long nap or sometimes when the air pressure drops or ascends rapidly. Can't help you there. Aleve often times won't even work for that. I just get bitchy. Doesn't help but no one gets in my face and bothers me anyway!!!

Pandora

Thanks for the input. I was remembering earlier these same painful muscle aches when I was on Celexa. They occurred every now and then, and I thought every time it was the start of the flu, which of course never came.

I get so sad now, thinking about all the things I felt, all the ailments and the almost-flu and the brain zaps after missing just one dose, particularly of Cipralex/Lexapro. And I never imagined it was the poison, I blamed my weak immune system.

Sigh.

Nadia

I have noticed my usual back pain gets a lot worse when I'm not doing well. I think it is muscle tension combined to greater pain susceptibility caused by withdrawal. Stretching, exercise, and massages help somewhat.

shamaan

Does anybody else has this feeling? It is like a tension,pain whole over my body , it's not pain in my muscles, i could only describe it as my nervous system. I have it always when i "exercise" too much , or when i overdo something.

Mort81

I have a general weakness that feels like I have exercised to much eventhough I havent done exercise in 8 months s , my only pain has been in my gut 

Happy2Heal

synopsis since I haven't updated my signature yer:
I was tapering off lexapro, got switched to the liquid, was at 2.5mgs, and life happened, I wasn't able to take the dose daily, and ended up basically jumping off at 2.5mgs

I tried to re instate at a 2mgs but it was bad, very bad

I have been managing ok, just some insomnia, not bad, some ears ringing and vision issues, some emotional ups and downs, not bad, and that temp dis-regulation thing- I go from hot to cold to normal for no reason, not fond of that, but it's tolerable

however, I now have PAIN and I do not tolerate pain well.

Almost all of my muscles hurt

it is hard to walk, it's even painful to sit

I take 200mgs of celebrex daily and so I can't add any OTC pain meds

I am wondering if this is something I need to get checked out by a doc, or if this is a normal WD symptom

If it's WD, what helps? anything?

i am tired all the time from the pain and/or from holding my breath, something I tend to do when I'm in pain (or angry LOL)
I have notes all over my apt reminding me to BREATHE LOL

I was in the woods a few weeks ago and there's a chance I was bit by a tick but I don't know, is pain a symptom of Lyme disease?

LexAnger

Hi Catnap,

So so sorry to hear your suffering too!

I'm 100% sure it's from WD of Lexopro!

I'm still tapering now at 2.4mg, each drop of 0.03 mg every 10 days would cause severe pain allover my head, face, ear, neck, shoulder, pins and needles, pricking, aches, back pain for a few days before changing to other symptoms with brain dead, severe sedation, brain on fire, swelling on head, hands etc.

walking (on trade mail as I can't walk otherwise without holding to the handles), swimming seems the only things helps a bit. I feel my body is misfiring electricities and the soothing water on entire body helps with that then lessons the pain.

Is there a daily pattern of your pain? Mine is always less in evening.

SquirrellyGirl

It's doubtful that the tick bite caused this, since it takes time for Lyme's disease to manifest itself this way.  Was the tick bite before the reinstatement?  Are you in a Lymes area?  Did you find the tick shortly after it bit you?  It takes 24 hours for the tick to transmit Lymes and other tick borne disease.

There is no harm in going to the doctor to eliminate Lymes as a possibility, since that is one you don't want to go chronic.

SG

Chicago77

Catnapt, do you still have pain. I too have pain in my right arm and leg constantly. Sometimes I will get little bursts of pain in other parts of my body. I'm super stiff and feel like a 100 yr old woman walking around. I can't tell if it's muscle pain or nerve pain. I had a MRI and it came back normal, but I'm still worried because it's not going away. I've been off Lexapro for 3 1/2 months now. Does anyone know if this is normal?

SquirrellyGirl

I get those shooting bursts of pain, too, Chicago, but not often enough to do anything about it, just observe and think "well, that's interesting..and, ow!"  I've had them to where in a toe, a finger, a spot on a leg, sometimes enough that I need to rub it, but usually very short lived.  I've also had those weird muscle spasms where a spot in a muscle will vibrate like a pulse, sometimes for a few beats, pause, a few more beats.  Had that last night in a tricep muscle.  Get them under the eye as well.  Again, short-lived stuff.  I just thought it was something that everyone got now and again!  I've been on meds so long I can't remember if I got those before meds.  

I am stiff, too, and joints pop all the time when getting up, ankles and knees in particular.  I'm 51, so am not yet ready to attribute it to age LOL!

SG

grandmaD

I just posted in my journal and then remembered that I could search stuff and found this!  So good!  Squirrelly Girl, I have the same things go on, and like you on the right side being worse.

I have had similar muscle spasms in my back in the past.  That is when I would go into panic mode thinking my "original condition" was back, because that is why I went on aropax/paxil in the first place.  It has been absolutely amazing when I would get them and after a year or so when they came, they would go just as suddenly in a day.  That was when I realised it was w/d.  I am wondering if this is a similar thing.

What took me by surprise the other day was when I woke up fine, but an hour later, out of the blue got excruciating neck pain and couldn't move my head.  I took painkillers and anti-inflammatorys for a couple of days, along with a hot pack and dencorub.  The severity is gone and I have better head movement, but not completely better yet after 5 days.

Added to that, the following day I woke up with severe muscle aching everywhere, mainly my right leg, hip, and butt and my knee so that I couldn't walk!  This was an added shock as it has been ages since I experienced the back spasms, but I do get cramping regularly in my right leg, which I am still not sure is w/d or from my spine.  I guess only time will tell.  After reading your post I am inclined to believe this too, is w/d.

It is just so incredible to think that you can still get these things in the 5th year of tapering at 2.5%!!!

Happy2Heal

wow well I'm relieved I'm not the only one but definitely not HAPPY that so many of us suffer this way

I've had a few longish windows lately that  I'm happy about, still have pain but other problems have cleared up, so anytime things are more good than bad, to me, that's a window LOL

Chicago77

Yes I feel a lot of my previous symptoms have gotten a little better, but my pain in my muscles and joints haven't subsided at all. I'm so scared I'm going to be stuck like this forever. Catnapt, do you have the same type of muscle and joint pain? Has it gotten any better? I wonder why withdrawal causes physical pain. Mine is mainly on my right side of my body.

Happy2Heal

update, I have found that my pain returns when I do two things: #1 Ignore my "good" diet and eat too many unhealthy things or #2 if I 'overdo' it and am a lot more active than normal- like moving things around, walking a lot more or lifting heavy things, etc. I don't usually have pain that same day, it comes a day or two later

so I have to learn to pace myself

AND not eat donuts, ice cream or chips!! nor even bread and crackers, those are all foods that are not on the diet I TRY to follow (the Nutritarian diet)

Junglechicken

Catnapt - you mention that you get pain 1-2 days after doing something physical/active.

I would say that it is totally NORMAL to get delayed muscle soreness like this; and I'm leaving AD medication completely out of the picture.

My experience with early stage AD WD and physical activity, was severe muscle soreness DURING exercise and significant recovery required following, I.e osteopath or physio sessions.

Fortunately I am past this stage now, but it was extremely distressing given that I was training for marathons a few weeks earlier.

ChessieCat

I'm now down to 1/5 of my original dose and still getting very tight calf muscles when walking.  I've also found that at different times I have tight muscles in my body.  My most recent one is down the right hand side of my spine.  Previously I have had very bad tension in my right jaw.  I also had a tight muscle in my right sciatic area.

Starboy17

I tapered by 5% almost a month ago this coming Sunday from 3ml to 2.8ml of mirtazapine/remeron, the last 2 weeks I've had intense pain in my calf muscles and hamstrings, I just want off this medication as its restricting my entire life, I do get concerned that something else is wrong. Do I just stay on the current dose or proceed with another taper of 5% to 2.6ml as its anyone's guess if the pain will pass regardless of tapering or holidng

DaveWales

Hi, I was after some other peoples advice about the latest development I am experiencing. To try and help with the withdrawal I was experiencing i tried some vitamins Including vit C, magnesium, vit B (all at recommended doses). However, i started itching all over and stopped all vits 2 weeks ago. The itching stopped and all seemed back to baseline. But, after that I was mountain biking in fairly cold British winter weather. Upon returning home I suddenly developed joint pain in my hands and especially my fingers. since then (approx 2 weeks) I have had all sorts of joint pain in my neck, spine, fingers, hands, feet, knees. I have never experienced anything like this before, and have, in the past ran Ironmans, marathon etc and had no problems even in hard training times. This is currently my most worrying symptom. I am wondering if i have developed athritis as part of withdrawal, or , as i hope beyond words, this is yet another transient symptom. If anyone has any experience of this, or any immune disorder problems in withdrawal I would be most grateful of your advice. Regards Dave 

UnfoldingSky

Hi Dave,

My history is different than yours, but yes I have issues like this too. I get a lot of muscle stiffness, joint pain, injuries too, it is getting really frustrating.  Wondering if anyone out there can explain what psychiatric drugs do to cause issues of this nature? I get injuries doing the smallest things, I feel like I'm a hundred years old!  I've also noticed if I don't pay exceptional attention to posture, I'll pay for it later. 

Junglechicken

Yes, I do too, and I used to be a marathoner!

I can just about run 5k now, but 2 years ago I was clocking up big weekly mileage.

IBS and bladder issues have made it difficult for me to run at all these days :(

DaveWales

Hi unfolding - thanks for your reply i would be interested in hearing why this happens too. 

Junglechicken - do you have any advice? 

Junglechicken

Well, the thing is, don't give up!

We were living in Canada when I went through the worst of the muscle and joint pain, but I found that aqua running and aerobics really helped and was just as strenuous.  I haven't continued with this, as where I live in the UK, there doesn't seem to be much of it around unfortunately.

I think the pain is caused by excess cortisol and adrenaline in the body, and there is nowhere for it to go if we don't "release" that nervous energy.

And so its rather like lactic acid build up.  We HAVE to find a way to release that energy or we remain in pain.

I still advocate that pool based exercises are a winner for people in our situation, as our weight is supported, but we're still expending energy, loosening the muscles up and so minimising injury and maintaining muscle mass.  Very important when you're over 40!

DaveWales

JC- many thanks for the advice there. So, you say the worst of the muscle and joint pain. But you have found that it got better with time? 

Junglechicken
28 minutes ago, DaveWales said:

JC- many thanks for the advice there. So, you say the worst of the muscle and joint pain. But you have found that it got better with time? 

The worst of the muscle and joint pain occurred when I had severe WD.  I re-instated 2 months later as it was unbearable.

Even walking was painful, and I had to have months of osteo appointments.

Its better, but I've never returned to the fitness level that I had when I was marathon training.  

Don't want to discourage you either.

I also think that hormonal fluctuations are playing a part in my overall wellbeing.

Survivor1

Hi Dave,

I too developed severe pains after discontinuing 2.4mg mirtazepine 7 months ago.  In the beginning it was debilitating - sciatica, plantar fasciitis-like burning in the feet, sharp pains in thighs and wrists, jaw and tooth pain.

There has been some improvement; sciatica is gone, pain in wrists and thighs tolerable, jaw pain occasional, but the fasciitis is still there and hobbles me at times. My limbs are also generally weak, and so I have some difficulty lifting weights and climbing stairs, etc. I also have low exercise tolerance.  I can only walk and not that fast, maybe 3 mph at best. I am hopeful that all will go eventually as I have seen some improvements. 

I think passage of time is the only solution ... all the best.

Junglechicken
11 hours ago, Survivor1 said:

Hi Dave,

I too developed severe pains after discontinuing 2.4mg mirtazepine 7 months ago.  In the beginning it was debilitating - sciatica, plantar fasciitis-like burning in the feet, sharp pains in thighs and wrists, jaw and tooth pain.

There has been some improvement; sciatica is gone, pain in wrists and thighs tolerable, jaw pain occasional, but the fasciitis is still there and hobbles me at times. My limbs are also generally weak, and so I have some difficulty lifting weights and climbing stairs, etc. I also have low exercise tolerance.  I can only walk and not that fast, maybe 3 mph at best. I am hopeful that all will go eventually as I have seen some improvements. 

I think passage of time is the only solution ... all the best.

Survivor1,

"sciatica, plantar fasciitis-like burning in the feet, sharp pains in thighs and wrists, jaw and tooth pain"

I had most of the above, in particular awful sciatica, and deep muscle and nerve pain all the way from my right shoulder down to the tips of my fingers.

Been there :(

Survivor1

JC,

Glad to see you are improving.  Didn't know that one could literally become crippled from WD!

Best.

Junglechicken
1 hour ago, Survivor1 said:

JC,

Glad to see you are improving.  Didn't know that one could literally become crippled from WD!

Best.

Yes, it was BAD! 

It didn't make sense that I had been marathon training and competing for 3 years and then suddenly got hit with severe nerve, joint and muscle pain.  Fortunately, I wasn't so far gone that I put 2 and 2 together and realised it was because of the ADs.

I have right hip pain now, and random pains popping up - all due to stress :huh:

IBS still my enemy too.

DLB

I can't begin to tell you what it did to my muscles. Also, now have psoriatic arthritis which came at withdrawal. Worst thing is my thighs. The muscles feel "sick" that is the only way to explain it. Very hard going up stairs (I used to run up stairs every chance I could) feel like legs are 100 pounds each. Visible loss of muscle. Have patellar pain syndrome from weak quads. It comes and goes over the months in intensity but it is always there. I have not moved faster than a walk in years.

Hellbutrin

Since C/T from Wellbutrin completely 6 months ago I have noticed that I am beginning to feel very fatigued and sore in random parts of my body. I know that antidepressants can serve as a shield for your body's nerves, so I'm wondering if I'm feeling mild aches and pains that I've had since I've been on the drugs and I just didn't notice them before because the antidepressant was suppressing the nerve pain. Is the fatigue that I've been hit with lately a normal part of withdrawal that slowly dissipates like everything else in withdrawal? Or should I be checking into supplements and trying to exercise more in order to address these issues? Any feedback is welcome, thanks! 

My main concern is and will remain to be my extreme withdrawal depression symptoms, but I've come to terms that this symptom is likely going to stick around for a long time, and hopefully when it leaves my intrusive thoughts will go with it. 

gigi63

Hi Hellbutrin, I must respond to this.  I basically, even though I tapered over 10 months, from Wellbutrin, then crashed, at about 11 mg and did a mild RI, my body has acted as though I CT’d this drug.  At about six months or so into my RI, I began to develop a vast array of nerve and muscle pain. At 21 months into my small RI, still waves and windows, I have various nerve and muscle pain continuing.  It changes and any given day it can lighten or get heavier.  I NEVER had this prior to WD.  If you read people’s stories you will see it is very common.  If you go to the International Antidepressant Withdrawal site and watch their videos on WD and recovery and such, you will see this is common, if you read the Benzo buddy Twin tower analogy you will see this is common.  Quite frankly, all of the morphing symptoms of WD are astounding to me.  However, when one considers the all encompassing effect of theses drugs on our ENTIRE body, it might not be so surprising.  The fatigue and pain is all apart of the healing CNS.  Hoping yours will heal quickly but, most times, it is an extended process. 

Hellbutrin
3 hours ago, gigi63 said:

Hi Hellbutrin, I must respond to this.  I basically, even though I tapered over 10 months, from Wellbutrin, then crashed, at about 11 mg and did a mild RI, my body has acted as though I CT’d this drug.  At about six months or so into my RI, I began to develop a vast array of nerve and muscle pain. At 21 months into my small RI, still waves and windows, I have various nerve and muscle pain continuing.  It changes and any given day it can lighten or get heavier.  I NEVER had this prior to WD.  If you read people’s stories you will see it is very common.  If you go to the International Antidepressant Withdrawal site and watch their videos on WD and recovery and such, you will see this is common, if you read the Benzo buddy Twin tower analogy you will see this is common.  Quite frankly, all of the morphing symptoms of WD are astounding to me.  However, when one considers the all encompassing effect of theses drugs on our ENTIRE body, it might not be so surprising.  The fatigue and pain is all apart of the healing CNS.  Hoping yours will heal quickly but, most times, it is an extended process. 

Hi Gigi, were you taking any other medications with the Wellbutrin? I did C/T this drug, and I've only been off for 6 months, so what you are saying is pretty terrifying. Did you have mental symptoms as well as nerve pain, and if you did, did you see them slowly dissipate? What does the muscle pain feel like for you? I've been getting some shooting pains in the right side of my neck, and all of my muscles have felt like they are really tense the last couple of days. 

gigi63

Hi Hellbutrin.  No, I was on nothing else. Took Wellbutrin 150 xl for 8.5 years.  Way too long!!!!!  I am not trying to scare you!  I have had it seems all symptoms!!!!  Psychological and physical, still do,  now, some days lighter, some not.  The healing is very slow.  This is the nature of the process.  Very gradual positive changes.  But, this is a non linear process as all have said and I am experiencing.   Yes, as you describe and feeling like chronic achy, sore muscles.  Lots of nerve hypersensitivity also, changes places.  How long were you on and dose?  Other drugs?