Pandora

Body aches

Hellbutrin
1 hour ago, gigi63 said:

Hi Hellbutrin.  No, I was on nothing else. Took Wellbutrin 150 xl for 8.5 years.  Way too long!!!!!  I am not trying to scare you!  I have had it seems all symptoms!!!!  Psychological and physical, still do,  now, some days lighter, some not.  The healing is very slow.  This is the nature of the process.  Very gradual positive changes.  But, this is a non linear process as all have said and I am experiencing.   Yes, as you describe and feeling like chronic achy, sore muscles.  Lots of nerve hypersensitivity also, changes places.  How long were you on and dose?  Other drugs? 

Hi Gigi63,

My waves have been primarily psychological. I had a wave of suicidal depression during acute and during my third month. This was genuinely terrifying because I’d NEVER had those thoughts before. I was taking 75 mg immediate release once daily for a year and 8 months. But I’m not sure that the dosage or time frame really has any impact on healing, especially since I cold turkeyed. This is the only drug that I’ve ever taken. How extreme were your psychological symptoms? Are you able to feel occasional feelings of joy now? I can’t appreciate anything, and it makes the depression SO much worse 

gigi63

Hi Hellbutrin,  I want to tell you that I believe your shorter duration on the drug INDEED will make a difference in a positive way.   I cannot prove this but, from all I have read over time, it does seem to matter.   Also, your dose is pretty low.  That is wonderful!!!  Also, only on-the one med ever, that is a plus.   Hellbutrin, all of those three points are huge and very important, at least I think so.  

You know, for me, I was only ever on the one drug but much longer.  The taper I was put on by my Dr and a pharmacist was horrible!!!  Didn’t know this at the time.  Had no idea I had become dependent, never even knew it was a possible.  

Hellbutrin, the psychological is indeed horrible.  I too have suffered it terrible. I think we all do.  Those neurotransmitters are all over the place and the healing going on is incredible.  We just cannot see it, we just feel it all!!!  And in the psychological pain it is so hard to think it will ever end.  But, like you, I am HOPING and PRAYING for the beautiful outcome all of those who have recovered tell us about.  

Yes, I do experience moments of joy in a window, but, even in a window, I am still not 100 percent me.  Anhedonia, sounds like you are experiencing this Hellbutrin.  Loss of pleasure in the things that normally brought us pleasure.  It seems like it was much worse last winter.  I still have it but it is so hard to tell You degrees.  

Hellbutrin, this is the most difficult ordeal I have lived and I have lived through some tough times.  I still can just cry in a heap some days because this journey has been so difficult and long.  I still have windows and waves.  Weird thing is I always have since the crash.  This path has not been linear just like they have all said.  It is hard to measure progress because when in a wave, feels like all the others.  Although, when I look back a year ago, I know there is improvement.  

Do you know Baylissa Frederick?   She is a beautiful survivor and counselor who now encourages all of us!!!!  Look her up.  

RealMe

What is a morning cortisol spike?

Hellbutrin
1 hour ago, gigi63 said:

Hi Hellbutrin,  I want to tell you that I believe your shorter duration on the drug INDEED will make a difference in a positive way.   I cannot prove this but, from all I have read over time, it does seem to matter.   Also, your dose is pretty low.  That is wonderful!!!  Also, only on-the one med ever, that is a plus.   Hellbutrin, all of those three points are huge and very important, at least I think so.  

You know, for me, I was only ever on the one drug but much longer.  The taper I was put on by my Dr and a pharmacist was horrible!!!  Didn’t know this at the time.  Had no idea I had become dependent, never even knew it was a possible.  

Hellbutrin, the psychological is indeed horrible.  I too have suffered it terrible. I think we all do.  Those neurotransmitters are all over the place and the healing going on is incredible.  We just cannot see it, we just feel it all!!!  And in the psychological pain it is so hard to think it will ever end.  But, like you, I am HOPING and PRAYING for the beautiful outcome all of those who have recovered tell us about.  

Yes, I do experience moments of joy in a window, but, even in a window, I am still not 100 percent me.  Anhedonia, sounds like you are experiencing this Hellbutrin.  Loss of pleasure in the things that normally brought us pleasure.  It seems like it was much worse last winter.  I still have it but it is so hard to tell You degrees.  

Hellbutrin, this is the most difficult ordeal I have lived and I have lived through some tough times.  I still can just cry in a heap some days because this journey has been so difficult and long.  I still have windows and waves.  Weird thing is I always have since the crash.  This path has not been linear just like they have all said.  It is hard to measure progress because when in a wave, feels like all the others.  Although, when I look back a year ago, I know there is improvement.  

Do you know Baylissa Frederick?   She is a beautiful survivor and counselor who now encourages all of us!!!!  Look her up.  

Hi Gigi63,

Thank you so much for your encouragement. It helps so much to hear from others who are struggling through similar experiences. I hope that the short duration, low dosage and only taking one medication are all positive indication of the healing timeline that I'm looking at. I haven't seen much progress yet, but I've seen other first hand accounts that have reported that they turned the corner and noticed significant healing between 6-12 months. I pray that this is the case for me. 

I know that I am experiencing anhedonia. I got engaged when I was still on the meds, and I know that I haven't experienced the full range of satisfaction about my engagement due to being convoluted by the medication. My fiancee has been so supportive of me throughout this whole process, and I know that he would like to get the old me back. I'm hoping that in the next 6 months I will see a noticeable decrease in my depressive feelings and a return of my positive feelings that were once so familiar to me, and now seem like a distant memory. 

I'm very familiar with the windows and waves pattern. But I haven't had any windows, like you mentioned, where I have felt %100 back to the old me. I was a little unsure of myself and very anxious before I started taking the medication, but I was also a VERY happy positive person. I felt good about the trajectory of my life and I was able to reason that I was going in a positive direction with my future. Now I'm uncertain about EVERYTHING and it's all I can do just to get through each day. 

I haven't heard of Baylissa Frederick, but if she's as great as you mentioned then I will have to look her up.

Thanks for being such a positive presence on this site where there are so many people struggling. I hope that I can have the strength to provide support to those still suffering one day soon. 

Hellbutrin
1 hour ago, RealMe said:

What is a morning cortisol spike?

Your stress hormones (primarily cortisol to my understanding) are naturally higher in the morning when you wake up, so some people see an intensifying of their symptoms when they first wake up and refer to this as a cortisol spike. They are very unpleasant and some have reported that they have had positive results with using a magnesium supplement to help calm their nerves and muscles. I hope that answered your question, there are those on this site that can provide you with much more detailed information on the topic. 

RealMe

Thank you, Hellbutrin.  I wake up with dread and deep sadness that I am still in a pained condition.  I guess that is a cortisol spike.  Does it include both restless, anxious agitation at one end and exhaustion and dread at the other?

I can't believe I was updosed from 150 bupropion to 300 after only one week.  Such insanity.

Downbutnotout

Sorry Real Me. Tomorrow may be better. I was updosed, downdosed. and changed like crazy. I was taken down from 150 mg of effexor to 75 without a second thought. Taken from 75 mg to nothing in 2 weeks. Given one thing after another.  This is from an esteemed university. Who would believe this? 

gigi63
12 minutes ago, Downbutnotout said:

Sorry Real Me. Tomorrow may be better. I was updosed, downdosed. and changed like crazy. I was taken down from 150 mg of effexor to 75 without a second thought. Taken from 75 mg to nothing in 2 weeks. Given one thing after another.  This is from an esteemed university. Who would believe this? 

It is absolute madness!!  What’s worse is these ‘ professionals ‘ don’t seem to want to know and understand.  This crap is not candy!!!!!  They toss this stuff around in absolute ignorance to the effects it has on the human brain and CNS!!!!

gigi63
1 hour ago, Hellbutrin said:

Your stress hormones (primarily cortisol to my understanding) are naturally higher in the morning when you wake up, so some people see an intensifying of their symptoms when they first wake up and refer to this as a cortisol spike. They are very unpleasant and some have reported that they have had positive results with using a magnesium supplement to help calm their nerves and muscles. I hope that answered your question, there are those on this site that can provide you with much more detailed information on the topic. 

Nice explanation Hellbutrin.  Accurate!  One might also try a baby aspirin at bedtime. Studies have shown that low dose ibuprofen pre op, decreases cortisol post op, after stress of surgery. Also, somewhere on here Altostrata posted about baby Aspirin at bedtime decreases AM cortisol.  Something to do with the HPA axis.  I researched and read that Vitamin C at 3000mg dose decreased cortisol also.  I personally take 1500 mg time released Vit C twice daily. I had no problem with this but one has to be very careful with any supplement as they can have an adverse effect.  We are all so different and what might work for one, not for another. Magnesium had a paradoxical response in me.  Be very careful!  

gigi63
1 hour ago, RealMe said:

Thank you, Hellbutrin.  I wake up with dread and deep sadness that I am still in a pained condition.  I guess that is a cortisol spike.  Does it include both restless, anxious agitation at one end and exhaustion and dread at the other?

I can't believe I was updosed from 150 bupropion to 300 after only one week.  Such insanity.

Indeed it dose feel like all that!!!  Yes, it is insanity!!!!

Shiva

Hi Dave

How are things progressing with your joint pain?

Yes, I too have had a lot of problems with pain. I finished tapering about 18 months ago and since then pain and joint problems have been steadily getting worse. It started mildly before I started tapering in my hands and wrists, along with pins and needles. Now I have bad pain and loss of mobility in my shoulders too, my back (which has always been weak from an old injury) has got massively worse. In the last 6 months I have developed constant pain in my hips and over the last week I have also been having shooting pains from my knees to my hips. All the pain and issues are getting worse alI the time. I wondered about arthritis too. I am hobbling around like an old woman and finding it increasingly difficult to do any activities and I sleep very poorly as the pain wakes me up constantly. 

emmabee

Shiva

What you described sounds a lot like what I went through.  I had aches and joints pains during my taper, but the worst of my pain didn't start until a few months after I took the last pill.  It began in my hands and wrists, then my knees and hips, and then shoulder and neck.  I also had a different kind of pain in my back that felt like hot electricity running through my muscles.

But the worst of it lasted only about 6 or 7 months.  In the past two months or so, the pain in my hands and wrists has mostly disappeared.  The rest remains, but is not nearly as bad.  And the "sick thighs" that DLB described, that has been there all along...I think that was the first pain symptom to show up early on.  But now is infrequent, only surges up on the worst days.  Same with the electric tingling pain in my back, which has been the most excruciating part.  

The weakness, the fatigue, all still there but may be getting slowly better.   It depends on the day.  

Yoga helps.  I started daily yoga during my taper, and was getting a lot stronger and more flexible, but as the symptoms got worse I got weaker and struggled with balance.  I can't do as much as I could a year ago, but it's the one thing I make myself do every day because I really think it makes a difference.  

I have noticed that the less stress I feel, the less pain I have, so have been doing everything I can to keep my mind and body calm, even if it means waiting on the sidelines of life for a while.

LadyBlonde

Hey guys, I had this hunch today that this new weird joint stiffness and pain would be due to withdrawal.. and here we are! 

I have done yoga nearly every day for the past year. I was a dancer so I would make a point to practice my splits often as well. This is not the case anymore.

After completely withdrawing from Sertraline in November 2017, I didn't notice any changes in the physical body right away. The first time I really noticed anything different was mid December when I was doing regular stretches and getting into the splits, which all of a sudden one day were no longer accessible due to this stiffness. 

Now, there are these events I volunteer at a few times a year that require being on your feet all day long. This last time, the most recent one in January, at the end of the event I had this horrible swelling under my knee cap that hurt to touch and lasted for a couple days following. 

Even the regular yoga I was doing became too much unless I did modifications. 

The only thing I can contribute is since I noticed this stiffness and weakness, I've added Pilates to my routine and I feel as though it is helping so far. Focusing on the muscles that surround the weakened joints and hoping one day they will grow back to normal. :unsure:

JanCarol

My pain doctor told me to quit gluten.  All of it.  He said, "even a crumb can set off inflammation."

There are other inflammatory foods, like dairy.

dbc2471

Hi Dave, how is your joint pain? I'm having the same issues. I quit sertraline 2.5 mths ago.

Altostrata

Hello, dbc. Please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum.

Fightingawar

Does anyone else have body aches especially in your legs? I’m almost 10 weeks off and I know laying in the bed a lot doesn’t help but they hurt so bad that just walking a short distance I have to sit down.

katieb

Hi. I. Am 6months off paxil. I have the most awful body aches and cramps and have had so all through my withdrawal of 5and half years. I was hoping things were going to get better but as of yet no sign. My legs are cramping so bad I don't sleep very much. I was wondering if these pills could cause fibromyalgia? 

Fightingawar

I was wondering the same thing about fibromyalgia, I hurt all over it doesn’t help that I don’t get out of bed a lot but I feel so bad. Did you have high anxiety and depression too in withdrawal? So you have been off 6 months? Has any of your symptoms gotten better?

katieb

TvWhilst I was withdrawing I had so many symptoms it's so hard to remember them all. Pain in shoulders neck and back have been consistent and now it is also in my legs and buttocks and in my face. Anxiety pops up every now and again and sometimes dizziness. These are the most bothersome for me. How about you? 

katieb

Oh forgot to mention tinnitus. It's every day and very loud. 

Fightingawar

Right now I’m having some serious anxiety to the point I’m terrified and don’t know what to do. I’m nauseous with no appetite, insomnia, and body aches I really don’t know if I can keep suffering like this I got much worse over the weekend 😪 i guess I need to call my doctor but they are so clueless 

JLex1981

Hey Fighting... I would call your Dr... can't they reinstate you on a tricyclic ? There's no need to suffer like that... does the Ativan help? I think Alto mentioned taking a low dosage of a tricyclic would help. You pay the bill , you tell them what you think !! If not get another Dr. 

Fightingawar

I’m waiting on a call from my doctor now and see what they say and no I feel like the Ativan isn’t doing anything anymore. I have got to figure out which one had the least serotonin production since the doctors act clueless 😪

Altostrata

Fighting, I went to some trouble to find this information for you:

In the Symptoms forum, please use search and read and add to an existing topic before starting a new topic.

Altostrata

Merged similar topics.

Please note many body aches are due to muscle tension from withdrawal syndrome.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Magnesium in particular can help muscles relax.

Fightingawar

Thank you!!

Melissa5000

Here is another victim!

I hurt all over. I have severe musclepain, especially in my arms, hands, legs and feet. On top of that I feel burning pain in my fingers. And a storm of nervepain in my body around my muscles (under the skin deeper in my body). The storm of nerverpain begins when I move too much. But I can hardly move before it starts. When I move a little more my core starts to burn. And I feel my tea extra hot in my throat and stomach when I drink it. Also warm tap water feels hotter now on my hands. I can hardly walk. Even inside the house I can not walk unlimited. I suffer a lot since I tapered my last tablet of amitriptyline 22th september 2017. Before I had allready tapered a lot of course. But this last tablet made it unbearable. And I do have still anaother 100 mg lyrica to taper. Tapering is totally impossible now. So I have to do a very long hold now. I doubt if I should updose a little more or not. Difficult!

Does anyone recognize the storm of nervepain deep in the arms and legs and core around the muscles?  (It is different from pins and needles.)