SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Migraine, headache, neck ache / pain and head pressure

squirrel

• Moderator Emeritus

This really is quite a common symptom/sensation among people suffering from withdrawal and drug effects, it will resolve along with your other symptoms.

See: 

headaches and head pressure - Surviving Antidepressants  *topics merged

Head noise and other symptoms in the head - Surviving ...

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

One of my scariest symptoms is the feeling that my brain, or the tissue surrounding it, is being stretched and torn. It is not like at all like a headache or migraine. The area on top of my head is extremely tender to the touch.

I did not experience this while in benzo withdrawal, but I am getting it with Seroquel.

Is this something others have experienced? 

2006-11: rx-ed klonopin for anxiety from life trauma  

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

-bounced around on different doses of Seroquel xr, maximum 600mg 

2015: finally found good doctor and therapist, tapered amilitryptaline to zero

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

-starting in november, using compounded capsules to drop 3mg every 5-8 days

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Castor,

Psyche drugs, and withdrawal from them can cause all kinds of weird symptoms and sensations all over the body, including the head.

While I was taking Lexapro and for about 6 months after I was off it, I would often be woken in the night with the most excruciating pain on the left side of my head. It usually lasted less than 30 seconds, but it was very frightening. I always fell right back to sleep once the pain stopped.

I've been off lexapro almost 5 years now and I haven't experienced this pain since, not one time.

Hopefully others will be able to relate to your particular sensation, I do remember once reading of someone expressing something similar.

We have a few topics related to unusual sensations in the head, here are some links:

headaches and head pressure - Surviving Antidepressants

Head noise and other symptoms in the head

Brain Zaps - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you, Petunia.

I am very glad to hear your Lexapro-induced head pain has not returned. 

2006-11: rx-ed klonopin for anxiety from life trauma  

2011: accidentally c/t klonopin....lots of healing but reinstated on 20mg valium 8 months later after alchohol use (stay away from booze!)

-tapered valium over the course of a year  2012: hospitalized for 8 weeks after major s/a bc of failed valium taper and put on Seroquel 350mg xr and multiple drug trials w/SSRIs, mood stabilizers, etc. 2013: multiple hospitalizations and failed drug trials

-tapered all other drugs and "stabilized" on Seroquel xr and started tapering 2014: re-hospitalized after failed taper, added amitryptaline

-bounced around on different doses of Seroquel xr, maximum 600mg 

2015: finally found good doctor and therapist, tapered amilitryptaline to zero

=looking to start taper again from 550mg Seroquel xr but rough somatic symptoms, especially at night

-failed reduction of 12.5mg in late August, updosed back to 600mg seroquel xr, intense somatic sx at night

-starting in november, using compounded capsules to drop 3mg every 5-8 days

• 1 month later...

I've never had migraines before. In January 2015, when I had those neurological stroke like symptoms after my pre-SA generic Zoloft taper that caused me to be in the neurological wing for 6 days, they did ask me if I had ever had migraines.

I've been experiencing migraines lately. The last one latest 4 days.

I'm just curious if anyone else on long term SSRIs started to experience migraines? I did read something on a reputable website that there is a theory about serotonin and migraines.

I'm still scared of the fact that people on LT SSRIs can get a stroke.

I'm hoping these migraines aren't due to the encephalopathy from July.

Then again, I am sort of going through "hormonal changes" and I read that could be a cause, too, but neither my mother or sisters had this.

I'm going to the eye doctor just in case to check out my glasses, since I wear progressives and she always said if I ever feel dizzy to get my glasses checked.

My symptoms: nausea, sensitivity to light and sound, one-sided headache.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

I had them before I took an SSRI, but once I was in withdrawal I got them much more frequently for the first 2-3 years.

December 2010: 10mg Citalopram

April 2011: 5mg for 2 weeks then cold turkey withdrawal - Extremely bad depression / no emotions

June 2011: Reinstated 10mg - After 3 weeks started getting impulsive suicidal thoughts

July 2011: Cold turkey - Withdrawal hell begins...

January 2021: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram as last resort

February 2021: 0.2mg Citalopram for 2 days had bad foggy head so went back down to 0.1mg

Upon reducing I experienced low mood, suicidal thoughts, burning up, low appetite, very bad insomnia, mild diarrhoea

22 Feb 2021: Stopped all Citalopram after panic / depression attack and crying similar to when I reinstated back in June 2011.

4 April 2022: Reinstated 0.1mg Citalopram - Anxiety + foggy head

5 April 2022: Stopped Citalopram - More lasting damage...

I haven't had actual migraines (with the visual stuff etc) but have had very painful headaches from SSRI's.

It happened a long time ago when I increased from 20mg to 30mg of Citalopram and happened again recently when I switched from Citalopram to Fluoxetine.

Intro and updates thread http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9951-stone-tapering-problem-please-help-a-bit-urgent/

Prescribed 20mg of Citalopram 17 years ago.

Began tapering 3 or 4 years ago and was on 2.5mg every other day for 3 months until 21/8/2015 I then stopped completely for 10 days.

On 1/9/2015 I re-instated 1.25mg a day due to horrendous rebound depression/side effects (also found this site, thank God).

Seemed to stabilise then had a bout of very severe depression starting around the beginning of October/15,

then on the 19/10/15 I panicked and started on 20mg Fluoxetine, realised this was a bad idea and then had to decide between a lower dose of Fluoxetine

or reinstating Citalopram at maybe 1.5mg finally decided on 5mg of Fluoxetine for "bridging" purposes.

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

This is a rather specific condition I've been suffering with since I stopped taking Prozac 20mg about 16 months ago.

It is a strange sense in the front of my head, just beneath the surface of my forehead. It feels like there is a significant buildup of pressure located there, like something is pushing against the inside of my skull.

It's different than a headache in that is isn't really "painful" per-se, since the brain cannot actually feel pain to begin with, but the tension in my head is immense! It feels kind of "heavy," it's so hard to describe so I'm wondering if anyone else can chime in. Honestly this is the most significant feeling besides the spaced-out dissociation I feel, and by far the most irritating physical symptom. When I try to ignore it sometimes I forget but it takes serious effort to do that.

This symptom, like every other, seems to come in waves and windows, and in certain situations I don't feel it at all, it seems like when I'm trying to concentrate and do a single task the feeling is most noticeable. This is very distracting as a University student, and makes it hard to get anything done without suffering this odd internal head pressure. 

Anyway I was wondering whether anyone else has this symptom, the severity with which they feel it, and whether it abated over time. 

Thanks everyone!

20 mg Prozac - Prescribed for dysthymia September 2014 - Quit cold turkey December 2014

Getting better all the time, we'll get through this   ^_^

• Moderator Emeritus

Have a read through this whole thread resiliency , it's a common sensation.

See also this thread , similar discussion http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1388-head-noise-and-other-symptoms-in-the-head/?view=findpost&p=8075&hl=%2Bhead+%2Bpressure

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody,

This is a rather specific condition I've been suffering with since I stopped taking Prozac 20mg about 16 months ago.

It is a strange sense in the front of my head, just beneath the surface of my forehead. It feels like there is a significant buildup of pressure located there, like something is pushing against the inside of my skull.

It's different than a headache in that is isn't really "painful" per-se, since the brain cannot actually feel pain to begin with, but the tension in my head is immense! It feels kind of "heavy," it's so hard to describe so I'm wondering if anyone else can chime in. Honestly this is the most significant feeling besides the spaced-out dissociation I feel, and by far the most irritating physical symptom. When I try to ignore it sometimes I forget but it takes serious effort to do that.

This symptom, like every other, seems to come in waves and windows, and in certain situations I don't feel it at all, it seems like when I'm trying to concentrate and do a single task the feeling is most noticeable. This is very distracting as a University student, and makes it hard to get anything done without suffering this odd internal head pressure. 

Anyway I was wondering whether anyone else has this symptom, the severity with which they feel it, and whether it abated over time. 

Thanks everyone!

Hi resiliency, I love your username!

I get a similar feeling but in back of my head. Mostly it is not painful, but sometimes it can be.

I have started wearing an icepack around my head.  You can find cold packs at the pharmacy that are specifically for headaches. They wrap around the head and attach with velcro. Not pretty, but it gets the job done. 

At first, I found the icepack painful, but it helps in the longterm. I have learned to pull my hair around to cover my forehead under the icepack - it is too cold on bare skin for me.

Some people find that heat works better for them. I hope that you find something that helps you.

1980-84?: tricyclic antidepressant? unknown dosage, gradually quit by forgetting to take it

2011: Cipralex 10 mg increased to 20 mg after two months, Zyprexa 2.5 mg increased to 5 mg after one month

2012: Cipralex 20 mg, Zyprexa reduced to 2.5 mg, then stopped (withdrawal symptoms attributed to depression), Abilify 2 mg, then increased to 5 mg 

2013: Cipralex 20 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg, Abilify decreased to 2 mg and then stopped

2014: Cipralex reduced to 10 mg (no taper and withdrawal symptoms), Wellbutrin 150 mg

2015-16: Cipralex 10 mg, Wellbutrin 150 mg

Started tapering Cipralex on March 31, 2016: 9 mg; April 27: 8.25 mg, May 25: 7.25 mg

Off Cipralex late fall 2016 after a slow taper.

Off Wellbutrin late winter/early spring 2017 after a taper.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever try a benzo short term to help the headaches?

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

since I have been in w/d I have been having bad head aches in the base of my scull and severe neck pain that goes into my shoulders , the lower I have got with my med the worse the pain has got ,it now is so bad it makes me feel sick , has anyone else experienced this , or has anyone found any way to relieve this , apart from pain killers which don't seem to have much effect ,

Edited by KarenB
merged threads

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

Hi,

I've been struggling with the same for the past few years. What I've found helps out is;

Don't get me wrong, I struggle daily with this and every day is a battle. But try what I've suggested below hopefully it helps out.

- taking hot showers

- Using a heating pad around your neck/shoulders area.

- Getting lots of rest(which includes a good nights sleep)

- tiger balm

- magnesium citrate

- avoiding stress as much as possible

- drink enough water

Pain of various types has been my main complain ever since I started tapering. Deep bone pain on head, face, needling/knifing all over head/ face/neck/shoulder/back is the most unbearable, ear pain, jaw pain is very brutal.

I read lots ppl have pain related symptoms but more for those on lexapro.

What helps the most to me is swimming especially for the needling pain, but honestly when it's bad, nothing really helps like all other symptoms.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds familiar. Although I have struggled with chronic headaches, migraines and neck pain since I was a teenager, I did experience an unique headache during WD. Stabbing pain, anxiety, it was as if I had a hangover from drinking copious amounts of cheap booze. I agree with Barb regarding Topomax. It is jokingly called "Dopomax" because it is notorious for causing cognitive impairment.

As Barb mentioned it is an anticonvulsant, like Depakote which comes with a slew of side effects. IMO Topomax is just another pmed and is reported to be difficult to withdraw from. Another preventative medicine that is used is Neurontin, also an anticonvulsant and also jokingly called "Morontin" due to its tendency to cause cognitive impairment.

Personally, I refuse to take these meds since they do effect the brain and are just as difficult to WD from as ADs. I see a neurologist to manage my headaches and neck pain. Every six weeks I get injections in my neck and head. The injections rotate between Botox and Lidocaine with a Cortisteriod. Additionally I take 10 mg of Inderal daily. Inderal is a beta blocker, it helps with anxiety as it blocks the "fight and flight" mechanism. It is essentially a drug for high blood pressure and at low doses I have no side effects.

I also use a TENS machine. This is a machine that sends electrical pulses to the nerves to kill the pain. I find it to be very effective for me. To obtain a TENS machine you need a prescription from a doctor and you need to take it to a medical supply store. My insurance covered it in full after I met the copay. Obviously, I am very lucky to have good medical insurance which covers everything including the Botox. I realize many people are not as lucky as me when it comes to medical insurance.

Also, as recommended by my neurologist I take Magnesium Oxide (400 mg twice a day) along with B2 (200 mg twice a day). It can take up to a month of regular supplement intake before the effects present themselves.

Finally, I find that chiropractors, accupuncture, massage therapists, physical therapy, yoga and meditation to be extremely effective in preventing or getting rid of a headache as all these methods help to relax my muscles and reduce my anxiety. When things are really bad I take a triptan, which is actually a SSRI. But used minimally causes no problems for me. So as you can see I am able to manage my headaches with the barest amount of medication while avoiding the pmeds Topomax, Depakote and Neurontin.

I am having issues with headaches and have had them long before withdrawal. I was diagnosed with migraine disease and was approved for Botox about a year and a half ago. My migraines are mainly in correlation with barometric pressure and would last up to 3 days. Migraines are much improved although I take Maxalt as needed.

I also have problems with bruxism and finally got a bite guard made by my dentist. I am not certain my bite guard is helping. It is a bottom appliance and is hard acrylic. I still have many mornings I wake up with headache from bruxism. I sometimes take my Maxalt, which helps, but insurance only approves for 12 pills per month.

My most recent issue is a rise in blood pressure, which is causing a different kind of headache. This is not a daily occurrence either.  I quoted Whatever because if was the first post I had seen with regards to increase in BP.

I am not a good candidate for taking BP medication regularly because my normal BP is lower than average. I have seen studies recently suggesting Inderal (Propranolol) in low doses on an as needed basis for anxiety/PTSD.

I feel like a complete mess here. I have various related issues going on. One, my bite guard may be the wrong kind for me, and two, this recent rise in blood pressure. I am not sure which doctor to talk to about the blood pressure as I am certain it is related to withdrawal. I truly believe it's related to a rise in cortisol and increased anxiety. I could not find anything in the "cortisol thread."

Anybody??

Edited by scallywag
add white space

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

The CVS mouth guard works better than any other mouth guard I've tried. About $20.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

Thank you leahy!!

I don't really trust my dentist anymore and was going to call my sister on this (she's a dental hygenist)

I appreciate your quick response too.

I'm just feeling depressed a bit because these headaches prevent me from leaving the house sometimes. Hope is hope!!

I was on Lexapro 10mg, once a day for about 8 yrs combined with Abilify 2mg, once per day and Klonopin ,25-.50mg up to 4 times a day. Prior to that multiple trials of various SSRIs and low doses of unsuccessful various mood stabilizers in anticonvulsant category with the same dose of Klonopin for a total of over 16 yrs.[/font][/size]Withdrawal from Abilify around Aug. 2015 and slow taper of Lexapro began late Jan. 2016. As of January 2017 I am 11 months full withdrawal from Lexapro and was .25mg of Klonopin at night.(went to .25 klonopin at night only somewhere in October)<p>**Update with my Klonopin taper. I was on .25mg at night and .25mg in AM with varying doses of .125mg during day, maybe once or twice on as needed basis. Starting in early September 2016 reduction of .125mg day dose was decreased to only .25mg AM. Over 2-3 weeks was down to .125mg AM for about 3-4 weeks. As of sometime in October down to only .25mg at night. As of 1/7/17 I am updosed to an additional .25mg at night, for a total of .5mg. As of June 23, 2017 I am on a liquid tapered dose of klonopin. Current dose 4.1ml as of February 21, 2018**

I know. Headaches are a problem for me too. The mouth guards helped a lot. I bought the name brand once and they choked me. CVS is much better.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• 1 month later...

I have had a constant headache for months in the back of my head and shoulders , also my brain feels like it has tightened it actually hurts inside my head if I gently shake my head it feels like my brain is bruised , I can only take paracetamol due to me being on mirtazapine and the drug interactions with most other pain killers , is this withdrawel or could it be something else , has anyone else experienced headaches that have last for so long if so what have you done to alleviate it , desperately looking for help . Doctor just says take paracetamol and they are not much help

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Migraines, Headaches, Neck Ache / Pain and Head Pressure
  • scallywag locked this topic
  • 7 months later...

I'm curious if anyone else has had headaches like I've been experiencing.  I'm not 100% sure they're WD related.  It's almost like an eyebrow ache.  The muscles (or something) right underneath and below my eyebrows first become sensitive to touch, then painful or sore to touch, and eventually starts radiating a headache-like pain.  They sneak up on me, they often start earlier in the day but aren't noticeable until evening.  Part of the problem is that I've always suffered from mild headaches (although not like this) and I'm used to relegating it to the background, so it has to really be bad for me to notice.  Sometimes massaging my eyebrows (lol it's such a funny idea) or applying pressure gives some brief relief.  They're so specific and different -- and I *think* I didn't start experiencing them until either my failed cold turkey attempt or the beginning of the taper.  I'm aware that you have sinuses under that area, but I'm unsure why I'd be getting a sinus headache.  I have allergies but have been tested and do not have chronic sinusitis.  I'm more inclined to think they're some kind of weirdly specific tension headache. 

Dextroamphetamine 30 mg, started 2011 -- still taking

Paxil 2004-2005

Wellbutrin/Bupropion 300 mg, started 2005 -- still taking

Prozac/Fluoxetine 40 mg, started 2006 -- still taking

Abilify/Aripiprazole 5 mg, started 2014 -- started taper in 2017, finished 2020

• At 0.5 mg February 2018
  • At 0.2 mg/mL September 2018
  • At 0.18mg/mL October 30, 2018
  • At 0.17mg/mL December 20, 2018
  • At 0.16mg/mL January 10, 2019
  • At 0.15mg/mL February 19, 2019
  • At 0.14mg/mL April 25, 2019
  • At 0.13mg/mL June 22, 2019
  • At 0.12mg/mL August 5, 2019
  • At 0.11mg/mL September 5, 2019
  • At 0.10 mg/mL November 7, 2019
  • At 0.05 mg/mL February 1, 2020
  • Jumped off March 23, 2020

• ChessieCat changed the title to Migraines, headaches, neck ache / pain and head pressure

I have been beside myself with a 10 day headache!  This has never happened before.  It is week 2 of a drop.  I checked my tablets weight and that was ok.  I thought I had it bad when I used to get them for 5 days straight and on occasions 6 days and once in a while 7 days but never this long! I presume it is w/d having done a drop 2 weeks ago.

Of course I went into overdrive wondering what it could be.  In week 6 of the previous drop I had a 4 day headache and I put it down to eating our fresh strawberries, so stopped that.  This time I had been eating a lot of tomatoes so have stopped that.  I began to wonder if it was a dozen other things… and realized how much fear and panic enters in at these times.  I was ready to updose again I was so desperate.

I coped okay at first, when it started out as the usual “head banging sensation,” I have had all along, except it just got worse again in intensity and frequency.  Instead of maybe 2-4 times a day, it was constant banging all day.

Then the head banging stopped and turned into a right sided headache.  My average weekly headache is 2, so I’m used to that and I went to bed and rested (I’m such a good girl, did the right thing, surely I will be rewarded!!)  However it got worse, turning into a migraine! 

A 3 day migraine for me each drop was not uncommon either, but these had eased up and almost went away, the last being just one day in January.   Then the migraine turned into a tension headache with severe painful throbbing.

Then it settled down into a sort of “permanent right sided headache” that was mild to moderate depending on what exertion (like just watering made it worse – standing there holding a hose for 30mins.

I read the thread on headaches and was interested to see some people put it down to grinding teeth, clenched jaw, etc.  I had stopped wearing my thing for this, and as I was still grinding A LOT, I have got it back out and wearing it again.  It doesn't fit properly so I push it in and out of my mouth and up off the teeth now instead of grinding, which is rather irritating and yet I can't stop myself!

This thread also said a lot about  histamine being problem.  It seems to make sense, since the Paxil affects the histamine receptors.  Is there really anything in this?  The diet seems too extreme, however for me as it eliminates everything I eat!  I have decided, however to continue to avoid strawberries, tomatoes and gluten for the time being.  I have to read up more and see what things you CAN EAT.

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

Headaches have been FIERCE for me and a few friends n the last month or so.  I THINK the weather changes (in PA, USA) plus the time change a few weeks ago have hit me extra hard this year.  

Just a thought..

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 months later...

I have been getting headaches, one was after getting out of a pool after mild aquatic exercise, another during  gentle Yoga and now last night when I first got up  after falling asleep on the couch and again this morning when I got out of bed. They last maybe 10-15 minutes. I do get ocular migraines which cause no pain, just twinkling lights out of left eye accompanied by visual disturbance. They last about 10-15 minutes.

Am I now getting migraines? There are no twinkling lights, but there is sensitivity to light. 

Could these be triggered by withdrawal? I am still stabilizing.

🌻 

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

• 1 month later...

Is tension headaches normal ?

Paxil 2007-2010

Celexa 2010-2018 - 20mg down to 10mg now 

Lamotragine 2010- present 225 mg 

Adderall 10mg 2010-2018 

Bupropion 2011

Straterra just for 2 weeks in 2018 

Ecitalopram 2 weeks in 2018 

• 2 months later...

I’m in a pattern of one-sided headaches. If I have it on the right side, I  can predict that the next one I have will be on the l left side, and vice-versa. They feel for the most part like sinus headaches - centered around the eye and radiating to the temple, crown and along the nose; even the top teeth on that side will feel pained. There was one day this week that I didn’t have a headache at all, so I’m trying to figure out how that happened. I’m trying a second cup of coffee in the afternoon, not too late. It seems to help. And aspirin or ibuprofen if the coffee doesn’t. 

2011-2016: 20 mg Fluoxetine

2017-2018: 40 mg Fluoxetine, 50 mg Trazodone

Dec 2018: Began 10% Fluoxetine taper

June 2022 - Started 4mg Fluoxetine (10% taper)

Last week of Sept - severe withdrawal symptoms

Oct 1 2022 - went back up to 5mg Fluoxetine (am)
Currently also take: Estarylla oral birth control (am), 50 mg Trazodone (pm)

• 7 months later...
On 2/17/2012 at 8:31 PM, nineyears said:

Hi Angie007

The headaches start shortly after I wake in the morning - the most intense pain is around the temples and across my eyes. Bright light seems to make them worse so my doc prescribed 25mg of topamax to see if it provides any relief...today was the first day so nothing to report yet.

When the headaches are present (which is pretty much every waking hour right now) they're acoompanied by anxiety and confusion/lack of concentration.

Sound familiar?

Nineyears

i have the same for about 2 months now,,,

waking up and then having headaches + anxiety /concentrationproblems...

do you take something for the pain??

Recently I have been getting auras without a headache, about 3 times in the last month, couples with feeling disoriented. 

I had migraines before being on AD but cannot recall an aura. My physician encouraged me to go back up on my Effexor as a treatment for the migraines without headaches. 

2014 Effexor 225 mg, 2015- Paxil then back to Effexor (attempted to taper too quickly by half for 2 weeks) returned to 150 mg of Effexor, 2016 -March 2018 Effexor XR 150 mg (generic), March 2018– 135 mg Effexor XR,  4/9/18- 121.5 mg, 5/12/18- 101.25 mg, 5/29/18- 91.12, 6/9/18- 75 mg, 6/30/18- 60 mg, 7/12/18- 45 mg, 10/8/18-40.5 mg, 10/29/18 36.45 mg, 11/1/18- 30.25 mg, 12/9/18 25.7 mg
2/24/19- 20.56 mg, 3/16/19- 45 mg, 5/6/19-40.5, 6/8/19-36.45 7/19- 32.8- 8/19-29.5

• 10 months later...

Ibuprofen/tylenol

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator

Please use search in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum and participate in existing topics instead of starting new topics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Migraine, headache, neck ache / pain and head pressure
  • 8 months later...

Hey all-

I’ve been in a bad wave for 5 weeks and the most recent symptom is extreme pain in forehead and top of head. Been happening for about a week; any suggestions on how to make it stop or decrease? My ears are still ringing like crazy too. I’ve avoided Tylenol and other drugs that may help because I don’t want to make a bad problem worse. 

Appreciate any suggestions as this is really affecting my ability to do my job. 

2005- 2008: Lorazepam (max dose- 1 MG daily)

2008- 2016: Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

January 2017- March 2017- Pristiq (max dose- 100 MG daily)

April 2017- June 2017: Trintellix (max dose- 10 MG)

July 2017- October 2017:  Lexapro (max dose-10 MG daily)

November 2017- April 2018- Luvox (max dose- 100 MG)

May 2018- Zoloft (max dose- 18.75)

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

"The Journey is The Reward"

Hello, Ryan1982:

I can only offer a couple of suggestions and don't even know whether or not they will do any good.

First, a cold pack on your forehead for a bit might help. The other option is to look into myofascial pain syndrome and trigger points. There's an endless amount of info on this topic online. I especially recommend looking at images online for trigger point charts that map the face, head, and neck. Hopefully, finding and pressing on and/or massaging those areas with your fingers or thumbs might bring some relief. If you find it helps, you may even consider getting a trigger point massager or other similar tool.

Regardless, I hope you have a window soon. Hang in there. I assure you that you will heal from this. It just takes time.

Callie

Lexapro: 2004-2010; Effexor XR 225 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all-

I’ve read the migraine thread a few times and think this is a bit different so I wanted to start a separate thread. Apologies in advance if the mods don’t want me to do that. 

I had a severe reaction to Trileptal for some nerve pain in mid-Dec and it threw me in a bad wave. I was dizzy, anxious and felt like I had vertigo. I’m pleased to say that’s all gone and has been gone for about 2 weeks. 

However, I have had a *pounding* frontal headache now for 33 days. Every second of every day. Taken Tylenol, tried a short 5 day course of Prednisone to no avail. The neurologist wants to do a CT scan and some blood work next. Super hydrated, eating well, sleep enough and I’m not particularly stressed. Yet it still persists. 

If those tests come out normal, should I just accept that this is a byproduct of the wave and to ride it out? That sounds easier said than done because I’m having trouble functioning at the moment. I’m hoping it’s something like a deficiency in B12 of vitamin D. 

I’ve never had splitting headaches as a part of a wave. This is just a strange one as I feel fine otherwise. 

Any suggestions?

5/28/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/3/18- 3 MG Lexapro, 6/7/18- 3.5 MG Lexapro, 6/13/18- 4 MG Lexapro, 6/21/18- 4.5 MG Lexapro, 6/28/18- 3/29/21- 4 MG Lexapro, 3/30/21- Present- 3.8 MG Lexapro

**Bad Wave Caused by Trileptal 150 MG (one pill) in December '20 and Low Dose Naltrexone .12 MG (one pill) in April '21**

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, ryan1982 said:

I’ve read the migraine thread a few times and think this is a bit different so I wanted to start a separate thread. Apologies in advance if the mods don’t want me to do that. 

The existing topic includes headaches.  Please post there.  SA likes to keep similar subjects in one topic so that it is easier for members to find.  Thank you.

migraine-headache-neck-ache-pain-and-head-pressure

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Apologies and thank you. 

Hey all-I had a severe reaction to Trileptal for some nerve pain in mid-Dec and it threw me in a bad wave. I was dizzy, anxious and felt like I had vertigo. I’m pleased to say that’s all gone and has been gone for about 2 weeks. 

However, I have had a *pounding* frontal headache now for 33 days. Every second of every day. Taken Tylenol, tried a short 5 day course of Prednisone to no avail. Super hydrated, eating well, sleep enough and I’m not particularly stressed. Acupuncture/massage don’t help. Yet it still persists. 

I have a history of head trauma so I’m nervous. Basic bloodwork shows I’m deficient in vitamin D. CT showed nothing so I’m going to opt for an MRI next. 

The headache moves around on my forehead a d sometimes wakes me up at night. I’m honestly really scared but I’m also hoping I get answers. Any thoughts on what’s happening? Based on what I’ve read in this thread, headaches for most people come and go. 

Appreciate everyone to take the time to read my post and provide any feedback. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy