Evoldnahturt

Friend going through withdrawal syndrome

Evoldnahturt

A friend of mine C/T Paxil several years ago, was bed-ridden for a month, and gradually healed after that.  She says she was mostly healed after a year, but some mild symptoms remained.  She's been getting worse lately and she keeps going to doctors and taking their advice.  She won't listen to me.  I've been trying to bring it up gently, but I think it's annoying her.  I know I can't make her stop hurting herself and trying to get through to her just annoys her and probably pushes her further away from the idea, but I don't want to just watch her continue to do this to herself.  I'm not sure how to approach this.

YammySteph

It’s tough to see your friend go through this. I do believe it’s ultimately up to her to decide what she wants to do. It seems you’ve tried to do your part and gently explain to her the effects of what she’s taking and not push her - which is great on your part. You’re not being pushy, just giving facts.

Unfortunately, I still get irritated and upset when I come across pro-AD, but I keep it to myself because I strongly believe in “to each their own”. 

Evoldnahturt

I try to stay calm and not bring it up in an annoying manner, but the fact that I keep bringing it up is a little annoying.  I'm thinking I should keep bringing it up periodically to remind her that it's another option that she could explore.  If I don't do it too often, it shouldn't be as annoying and might cause her to take the time to look in to it someday instead of pushing her away from the idea.

mammaP
Posted (edited)

There isn't anything you can do, you've done all you can. It has to be her decision and she most likely has others telling her to listen to her doctor.  I know personally how hard this is, I am going through it with someone too.  Every time I try and say something I am irritating them. They want to do it their way and I have to let them and be there to pick up the pieces.  I believed the doctors once and was very annoyed with anyone who contradicted the chemical imbalance theory. They knew nothing and ,after all, my doctor had been through many years of med school.   :rolleyes: I learned eventually and so will they.  Just look after yourself, that's the best way we can help those who want to do it their way. They have to see how much better we are with caredful tapering eventually.  It is heartbreaking but they have to learn for themselves.  A wise chief once said...... "Advise them, and if they do not listen, let them learn through adversity".    You have my sympathy.   

Edited by mammaP

Rabe

Hi E...so glad to hear you are doing well.  It is so hard to see those we care about making what we feel to be unwise choices.  Do you think it might help to write her something...do you think her mind is affected like ours is?  I know I do better if I can SEE something cause I cant remember things well.  Just was thinking if she had something that was more concrete to go back to more often it might begin to make more sense and sink in.  If not I would agree that at some point it might be in your best interest to let it go...be there for her knowing its out of your control.  Have to take care of our own side of the street and allow others how to take care of theirs, sad and difficult as that can be sometimes.  Take care!!!