SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

glamgirl7000: Help with Reinstating Cymbalta before Tapering

glamgirl7000

I have major depressive disorder and for the most part have spent the last 10 years on various antidepressants (I’ve tried most if not all). 

In the fall of 2016 I started transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to manage my depression, in addition to the antidepressants. I had horrible side effects with the antidepressants (debilitating fatigue - in bed 16 hours a day despite having young kids) and decided to just use TMS to manage my depression.

In March 2018 I tapered off cymbalta 90, to cymbalta 60 for a week, to cymbalta 30 for a week and then off. I was amazed by my feelings of energy and hopefulness at getting this poision out of my system. However, almost immediately I started having insane gas, diarrhea, bloating, weight gain, and abdominal pain. Since then I’ve had a ct scan, an MRI, and a colonoscopy to find the source of these issues which I’ve never experienced before. The gi is stumped and my psychiatrist doesn’t seem particularly knowledgeable/ helpful. Thanks I am now convinced that it is antidepressant discontinuation syndrome. I feel like I should go back on cymbalta and do a slower taper, but I’m not sure what dose I need to resume at and how long I should take it (days, weeks?) before I start the taper.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

-Currently not taking any antidepressants 

-March 2018 - tapered off Cymbalta at 90 mg for a week, 60mg for a week, 30 mg for a week

-January 2018 - Cymbalta increased to 90 mg

-August 2017 - started Cymbalta 60 mg

-Jan  2017 to Aug 2017 - Abilify 5 mg

-Prior to Abilify I was doing back to back trials of various antidepressants. 

-I was consistently on some from of antidepressant since 2009. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, glamgirl7000 said:

In March 2018 I tapered off cymbalta 90, to cymbalta 60 for a week, to cymbalta 30 for a week and then off. I was amazed by my feelings of energy and hopefulness at getting this poision out of my system. However, almost immediately I started having insane gas, diarrhea, bloating, weight gain, and abdominal pain.

I feel like I should go back on cymbalta and do a slower taper, but I’m not sure what dose I need to resume at and how long I should take it (days, weeks?) before I start the taper.

Hi, Glamgirl and welcome to SA.

It should be amazingly obvious to the doctors that your symptoms are from withdrawal from Cymbalta. But, having a doctor who isn't knowledgeable or helpful about getting off psych drugs is unfortunately par for the course. But there is hope -- you are in good company here, and there is a lot of support and knowledge on this site. 

To help us best understand your situation, can you please add your current and recent medication history to a "signature" using this link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/ 

Your current information and changes will then be posted every time you post here, so people are able to see it at a glance. Thanks.

You've been on many SSRIs, and did an extremely fast taper--it is likely that your body is going to treat that as a cold-turkey. 

I'm guessing that other moderators are going to recommend a partial reinstatement at a very low dose to see if that helps with your extreme symptoms. 

Please fill out the drug signature and read through the info on this thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/.

Once we have a bit more information, I'll run this by the moderation team to discuss possible reinstatement amounts.

Again, welcome. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

Thank you so much for the information and help! I’ve added my signature and look forward to hearing what the moderators think. 

-March 2018 - tapered off Cymbalta at 90 mg for a week, 60mg for a week, 30 mg for a week

• Administrator

Welcome, glamgirl.

4 hours ago, glamgirl7000 said:

However, almost immediately I started having insane gas, diarrhea, bloating, weight gain, and abdominal pain.

This has been going on since March? Has the symptom pattern changed at all? Any other symptoms? How's your sleep?

Are you taking any other drugs?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes, I’ve been having these issues since March. They probably started once I was completely off Cymbalta for a week.  I’ve  have had a ct scan, mri and colonoscopy to try and find the cause of my gut pain and issues. I informed my primary care physician and well as my gastroenterologist that my symptoms started once I went off Cymbalta but that didn’t ring any bells for either of the.  Also kept my psychiatrist in the loop and he is also clueless. 

Initially going off Cymbalta I had tingling/ pain in extremities, ringing in ears, brain zaps, night sweats, crazy dreams etc. Those have mostly resolved but the gut problems and pain remain. My sleep isn’t great because I’ll be awoken by diarrhea and gas, but without these issues, I think it would be fine.

Also, what I’m experiencing is very similar to my experience when I forgot my Cymbalta on a trip. I had gas, bloating, and diarrhea - I thought I just caught a bug. They symptoms went away when I returned home and resumed Cymbalta. In retrospect it’s clear the pain/issues I had on vacation were from not getting  Cymbalta. 

I’m not taking any other drugs. I have started taking probiotics and other supplements to support gut health and lower inflammation but they haven’t been successful. 

I hope I’m not too late to reintroduce it. The thought of having permanent issues when I had none before is very hard to contemplate. 

• Songbird changed the title to glamgirl7000: Help with Reinstating Cymbalta before Tapering