Suze: A month off Effexor... horrible anxiety & depression

Hi there. Here’s my story. I’m looking for advice and encouragement... and answers, which I’m guessing I won’t really get 🙁

was on anti-depressants for most of my adult life ( I’m 46). Most recently on Effexor for 14 months.. highest dose 150 mg. Starting in January weaned off for 4 months. Had most every symptom ever mentioned. It was manageable. 3 weeks ago while on a trip woke with panic attack and it’s been high anxiety, crying and panic ever since. I’m thoroughly depressed about this, but mostly SACRED.

im on nothing right now but vitamins and have been trying CBD oil. (Don’t know that it’s hwlping)

PLEASE. I need to know how long this will last. I can’t live like this. It’s the worst thing I’ve ever been through. All the forums are filled with similar stories and right now I’m not seein an end in sight 😢😢😢

Thanks in advance for any insight

Effexor for 14 months, highest dose was 150 mg. Started to taper in January 2018. Cut to 75 mg for a few weeks, then to 35.7 for a few weeks, then started taking out beads - going down one a day. Completely off in April (I think the 16th.. I’m not near my notes)

My doctor prescribed 150 of Wellbutrin as soon as I finished Effexor. Took this for 11 days and that was the time the panic attacks started so I stopped immediately. 

I am now 32 days off Effexor and 21 (I think) off Wellbutrin.

I have high anxiety most every day and the panic comes and goes. When it comes I just about would rather die than live this way. Although I do feel I can get through it if there is a light at the end of the tunnel... a SHORT tunnel.

Prior to Effexor I was on Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac (which I didn’t do well with at all) and that’s all I remember. I never really felt like they did much for me a do never had trouble coming off (other than Prozac)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Suze, welcome to SA. I have moved your post to the introductions forum. This will be your topic to update when you like.  Can you tell us how you tapered? Did you count the beads in the capsules? That was hpw I tapered effexor, and I too went too fast and also found myself in withdrawal a month after stopping!

The only way to stop withdrawal is to reinstate the drug but it can be a very very small dose. Sometimes just 1mg is enough. The brand of effexor that I was taking had around 400 tiny beads, I reinstated just 4 which made 1mg.  Some have fewer beads so you would have to open some and count them to see how to get 1mg. It is fiddly but you will only have to do it once. Or you could use a digital scale, a jewellers scale measures very small amounts. I couldn't get on with scales, and preferred counting beads. In some places you can get liquid effexor, which would be easier to get tiny amounts because it can be diluted. It is better to ask the pharmacy they can get it, then take the name of the liquid to the doctor to get the prescription. Doctors don't always know what is available. 

It takes a few days for the drug to reach a steady level in the blood, and can take several weeks before you feel stable, then a few weeks or months before starting to taper again, very, very slowly. Many of us ended up here because of tapering too fast, I tapered for a whole year and thought it was incredibly slow but still had withdrawal.  It took around another 2 years before I was finally off it but I was functioning and not suffering the terrible side effects.  No one EVER wants to reinstate but it really is the best option, you can get back to being functional while you get off slowly. I wish I had found SA before I tapered too fast. 

Many people have reacted quite badly to CBD,  but some have found it helpful, we have a topic which I will post a link to. Once in withdrawal we tend to get very sensitive to drugs and supplements, the nervous system has to regain homeostasis and that takes time. The only supplements we recommend are magnesium and fish oil, wih any supplement start off with low dose and increase if needed. Start one at a time and not at the same time as reinstating, allow about a week before introducing the supplements. 

Here are some links for you to check out.  First, we ask all our members to fill in their signature with their drug and taper history. We need a list of the drugs taken and if you can remember, rough dates of those back over the years with more detailed dates and history for the last 2 years. This link will take you to the signature box.   

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

About reinstating to stabilise

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Tapering effexor 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/272-tapering-off-effexor-venlafaxine/

What is withdrawal syndrome.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

While waiting to stabilise you will likely experience windows and waves. You can read about them here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

You will also need to learn coping skills, years of anti depressants means our brains are not reacting to things because they are dulled. Or are overreacting because of excess cortisol which causes anxiety.  As our brains heal and start to regain function it is strange to start feeling again. Weeping at silly things is common. Movies, music, children, embrace it and enjoy the feelings. I can cry at the drop of a hat now but was numb for years. My kids are used to me suddenly welling up with emotion but it isn't sadness it is just feeling. It takes time and patience to learn that tears can be good. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• mammaP changed the title to Suze: A month off Effexor... horrible anxiety & depression

Thank you so much for your response. I’m scared to death to reinstate... what if it makes it worse like I just read in the link? I CANT do worse 😢 

After going back on such a small dose, how did you them taper from that? And you said it took you two years??

I’d be willing to try and willing to take however long to wean again if I knew it wouldn’t make things worse.

And what about trying another antidepressant? Would that make things worse? ( the Wellbutrin did I think)

I do take Fish Oil in the mornings and again later If I remember. 

I dont see the link on CBD oil

Effexor for 14 months, highest dose was 150 mg. Started to taper in January 2018. Cut to 75 mg for a few weeks, then to 35.7 for a few weeks, then started taking out beads - going down one a day. Completely off in April (I think the 16th.. I’m not near my notes)

My doctor prescribed 150 of Wellbutrin as soon as I finished Effexor. Took this for 11 days and that was the time the panic attacks started so I stopped immediately. 

I am now 32 days off Effexor and 21 (I think) off Wellbutrin.

I have high anxiety most every day and the panic comes and goes. When it comes I just about would rather die than live this way. Although I do feel I can get through it if there is a light at the end of the tunnel... a SHORT tunnel.

Prior to Effexor I was on Zoloft, Lexapro, Prozac (which I didn’t do well with at all) and that’s all I remember. I never really felt like they did much for me a do never had trouble coming off (other than Prozac)