Hi all,

I am in a pretty decent place in life, and I have a few weeks with very few ”responsibilities”... I’m thinking it’s the perfect time to finally try to get myself off of my psychotropic of choice, Amitriptyline 100mg 1xday. 

Ive attempted to get off it before and made it a few weeks before feeling overwhelmed and going back to the pills. 

I would love some support and a place to vent throughout this process. Looking forward to meeting all of you. 

734305A3-348F-4D00-B67C-8771005F21B0.jpeg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome to SA. 

I am so happy you found us before tapering — that bodes really well for your taper. It sounds like you are in a good place to do so, and have a great attitude about it.

How long have you been taking Amitriptyline? Please let us know your dosage history and any other meds, by creating a signature as described here: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

There is a ton of information and support on this site. : )

Probably the most important right now are: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1008-before-you-begin-tapering-what-you-need-to-know/

We usually see best results with tapers at a rate of 10% per month or less: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

One of our moderators has devised an even gentler plan (very popular and effective) that we lovingly call the Brassmonkey Slide:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/17671-the-brassmonkey-slide-method-of-micro-tapering/?tab=comments#comment-347786

Again, welcome! 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Altostrata changed the title to Iwantoff Starting taper off of Amitriptyline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Iwantoff,

Welcome from me too 🙂

Just wanted to add one more link to the list SkyBlue kindly wrote out for you.

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

Glad you found us before trying again, I'm sure that with all this good information, and support, you will be successful this time.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes