badwife: Sertraline and divorce

badwife

I have been taking 150mg of Sertraline for about a year (started on a lower dose and was upped). Balanced me out, I got a new job which I love. All was well. But recently, I've been feeling really distant from my husband. I love spending time with him and he's an amazing father but I don't want to kiss/touch him. 

We have been talking about separating and divorce. I've been looking into this affects of SSRIs on marriages and I seem to be the classic case. I am terrified that my feelings are due to being "numbed" by the tablets. Which is great in terms of stresses etc, but not with him. 

Further to this, my best friend and I have recently started having feelings for each other and it's all gone a bit quickly. Again, reading up about this seems to hint that falling out of love with a spouse and madly in love with someone else is really common, and makes a lot of sense when researching how the drugs work. 

I guess I'm looking for advice, support, anything really. 

From a confused and scared mummy/wife who doesn't want to ruin her family for nothing

150mg sertraline - all going well until recently. Took months for me to accept the impact the tablets were having. 

• Petunia changed the title to badwife: Sertraline and divorce
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum badwife,

I'm sorry to hear that antidepressants are having a negative impact on your marriage. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon, as you have found out from your research. This is a site for helping people safely taper off their medications, in order to avoid or minimize withdrawal symptoms, so you have come to a good place for information and support if you decide you want to stop taking Sertraline or perhaps lowering your dose might be enough to reduce the unwanted effects.

Are you taking any other medications? 

We ask members to put their drug and withdrawal history in the signature section. It appears below each of your posts and helps us to help you. Here are instructions for how to do it:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

There are many threads in our Relationships forum which discuss the impact these drugs have on our important relationships, here are two links which are particularly relevant to your situation:

Marriages destroyed by SSRI SNRI - Topix

Marriages Destroyed by ADs - MDBAD Website

and here is a link to our Relationships forum, you may want to start a topic for yourself there to discuss your particular situation: 

Relationships and social life

If you decide to come off your medication, or lower the dose, here are a couple more links which will be very important for you to read before starting your taper:  Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  (The general philosophy of gradual tapering)

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes