Keysey: Weaning/tapering off Sertraline

Keysey

Hi everyone 🙋🏻‍♀

24, F, UK.

Have been on Sertraline for around 3 years. Initially 50mg but, within the past year, I have been on 25mg instead. 

I’m now ready to start wearing off them. I’ve tried once before, a few years ago, and went cold turkey from 50mg. Ended up in A&E, with horrible withdrawal symptoms! Was certain I was going crazy.... Keen to not repeat this, so I’m looking for some advice on how to do it properly this time. 

I’ve read on some posts that decreasing by 10% increments is advisable. The issue is that I can’t cut my 50mg tablets any smaller than 25mg. I bought a pill cutter and tried, but it just turned out a chalky mess.

Any advice on a tapering schedule?! 

Thanks very much! 

• mammaP changed the title to Keysey: Weaning/Tapering Off Sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Keysey, welcome to SA. It is good that you are finding the best way of tapering before starting. Most of us have had failed attempts before disovering the right way.  You can make a liquid from tablets for tapering, it is quite easy when you get the hang of it.  Alternatively zoloft (sertraline) is available in liquid on prescription.  I will get some links for you that will explain things for you.  Read them carefully so that you know what to expect. If you make your own liquid you will need to gather some equipment. It is basic stuff that is available either online or at most pharmacies.  This is your topic to update as you taper and ask questions about your taper.  It's good to have you here, if you follow the guidelines you could have a successful taper with little discomfort. The biggest thing you will learn is to listen to your body and hold if you have any symptoms. This is very important because pushing through makes things worse in the long run. Holding gives your brain tha chance to catch up. 

First, we ask all our members to fill in their signature with drugs and doses, If sertraline is your only drug you can just copy the first line of your post. 

Here is a link to the signature box, just  fill it in and click save. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

Tapering sertraline

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

Making a liquid 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

Preparing to taper

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1789-preparing-to-taper/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• ChessieCat changed the title to Keysey: Weaning/tapering off Sertraline
  • Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Keysey said:

Hi everyone 🙋🏻‍♀

24, F, UK.

Have been on Sertraline for around 3 years. Initially 50mg but, within the past year, I have been on 25mg instead. 

I’m now ready to start wearing off them. I’ve tried once before, a few years ago, and went cold turkey from 50mg. Ended up in A&E, with horrible withdrawal symptoms! Was certain I was going crazy.... Keen to not repeat this, so I’m looking for some advice on how to do it properly this time. 

I’ve read on some posts that decreasing by 10% increments is advisable. The issue is that I can’t cut my 50mg tablets any smaller than 25mg. I bought a pill cutter and tried, but it just turned out a chalky mess.

Any advice on a tapering schedule?! 

Thanks very much! 

Hi Keysey,

I’ve been using water titration for a few years now. I’m tapering off Seroquel n the lowest tablet is 25mg too. I’m down to 7.5mg now.

I find ten percent is too high a cut for me now. I taper around 4% to 5% but everyone is different. Try the ten percent but if you end up finding it’s still a little too high you can taper slower next time. 

Hope all all goes well with your tapering, n yes slow is definitely better.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.