SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Melatonin for sleep

Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

I now have my melatonin, 1mg. I am now wondering the best way to take them.

I take 100mg of tramadol in the evening, and it tends to wake me up

for the first 3 hours then I get very drowsy. Not sleepy but drowsy

( sounds contradictory I know ) then that wears off and I feel ok,

that's when I go to bed while the pain killing effect is still active.

I don't take them in the daytime because I can't function with them

but take them at night to get a few hours pain free. They are the only ones

I can tolerate but am hoping my pain will be less when I am off the

anti depressant, then I can wean off those too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hoping it will help me get off

to sleep and stay asleep a bit longer than a couple of hours.

I had to order and pay for them in US$ but they came from Uk so someone must

have a way of getting round the silly UK laws!

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Administrator

Read post #1 in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't sleep much last night, 2 hours!

The quality of sleep was good just not enough of it.

Will reduce to .5 and see how that goes.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I took .5 last night and still no sleep. Maybe try a different dose

and go up, .5mg and 1mg haven't helped so will go to 1.5.

2002  effexor. 

• Administrator

Give it a few days. Jumping around leads to inconsistent data.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Didn't take any last night and didn't sleep too badly so think I'll

leave the melatonin alone awhile and see how things go. :)

2002  effexor. 

Not certain where to ask this but it's a falling asleep issue, so this seems logical..

Just this week, have noticed that I am startling awake just as I fall asleep. I had a tooth pulled on Monday (anesthesia/sedation) and that night awoke to snapping my teeth closed and bloody taste in mouth. Not unexpected after a big extraction, but the snapping shut of mouth is new. I have long history of bruxism but not this myoclonic (?) type action.

Last night, woke with startled, scared feeling a few times while trying to fall asleep. No dreams that I recall.

Saw Karma's comment about melatonin on someone's thread, so will try a small dose tonight. If any other thoughts, please let me know.

This downturn at 2 year point is discouraging :(

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

The anesthesia might have triggered some alerting. This should settle.

Melatonin is good for initiating sleep, it might help. Be moderate, don't overdo it.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think I'm having problems with side effects from Melatonin, and I found an article from the Mayo clinic which points out these potential problems:

"The hormone melatonin helps control your natural sleep-wake cycle. Natural levels of melatonin in the blood are highest at night. Some research suggests that melatonin supplements might be helpful in treating jet lag or reducing the time it takes to fall asleep — although the effect is typically mild. Melatonin might be more effective for other types of sleep issues, such as delayed sleep disorder or sleep disorders affecting circadian rhythm.

The most common melatonin side effects include:

• Daytime sleepiness
  • Dizziness
  • Headaches

Other, less common melatonin side effects might include abdominal discomfort, mild anxiety, irritability, confusion and short-lasting feelings of depression." (Emphasis, mine.)

The full article is here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin-side-effects/AN01717

It's possible that I'm just having a very bad wave, but I've been feeling more and more sluggish and depressed over the past month or so, and I've been routinely taking one to two milligrams of Melatonin at night for several months.  It's hard to get up in the morning and often I lie in bed until afternoon, procrastinating to the point of skipping activities I think would be good for me.

So tonight I'll see what happens without any sleep aids at all.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Jemima, I think you are going through a wave...

But at least you can sleep! my sleep is destroyed...

Why don't you reduce instead of not taking it at all.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Administrator

When I take too much melatonin, I'm weepy in the morning.

• Moderator Emeritus

When I take too much melatonin, I'm weepy in the morning.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling--weepy, self-pitying, depressed.  Yet if I don't take at least one milligram, it doesn't help with sleep.

I skipped it last night and couldn't get to sleep until 3:00 AM, after taking an antihistamine.  Woke again at 6:00 AM and had to take another to get back to sleep.  I felt a lot better today, but still stayed in bed a very long time.  I need to get back on a "normal" daytime schedule so I can get active in more daytime things.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 11 months later...

After waking up yet again around the 4am mark this morning i looked this up for some help,  turns out it needs a prescription here  :o

I was hoping that i would never have to see the quack again, especially seems i can't find a decent one in this town. Also i know they will just try to get me to take something else more stronger....i just don't know if i can handle the whole ordeal, but man i need a decent sleep!

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

• Administrator

Unclear if melatonin will help you at 4 a.m. -- you should take it earlier in the night to match your normal melatonin cycle. By 4 a.m., natural melatonin is fading out and cortisol, the daytime hormone, is starting up, which is why you're waking up.

Can you get glycine?  It works with melatonin and might be better to take at 4 a.m. I sometimes take it when I wake up around 4, with one fish oil, magnesium, and a low-dose aspirin.

Yeah i actually have some cannabis seed protein powder that i drink in the morning,it has 1203mg per 100g of glycine  along with omega 3 6 and 9 and magnesium.

Maybe i could try that when i wake up with a small aspirin? or does it have to be with the previous dose of melatonin before bed.

I can get to sleep ok, it's just the waking up way too early and not getting back to sleep

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

• Administrator

I know what you mean. That's my major sleep problem, too.

Yes, you could try your cannabis seed protein powder at 4 a.m. Please let us know how it works, in the cannabis topic.

(I've never heard of cannabis seed protein powder before.)

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm trying to find a study of fluoxetine and melatonin use in mice. I know animal models are not always generalizable, but I was curious because I think Melatonin maybe part of my fatigue problem, or contributing to it anyway.

Took it last night after having not taken in in several days and well... Feel much like the description Jemima posted from the mayo clinic. Maybe just an after shock of the last wave?

Has anyone seen this study? Or is aware of an interaction between melatonin and prozac (fluoxetine)? Or has had a bad experience with melatonin?

I checked The drug interaction checker and didn't find anything...

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I think melatonin and serotonin convert back and forth. Read a FB article yesterday about tart cherry extract, one tsp. helping because it has natural melatonin. But I don't get how the source of the melatonin would matter.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I've taken Melatonin for years. I always took

5mg. I know take 10mg. I've seen on here that is way too much. During the first weeks in WD I only took 5, but sleep became more difficult and upped it to 10.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I've taken Melatonin for years. I always took

5mg. I know take 10mg. I've seen on here that is way too much. During the first weeks in WD I only took 5, but sleep became more difficult and upped it to 10.

A sleep doctor I saw in August recommended taking 5 to 9m before bedtime which I rejected because I have never done well with melatonin.    If 10mg works for you, I wouldn't worry about it although I would be hesitant to go too much higher.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Ok, again, no sleep at all. I had about a week where I was sleeping off and on, now nothing. I feel like the melatonin calms now at first and then I'm awake again. If I'm hypersensitive do I need to taper the melatonin to get off of it?

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I have a question, and didnt know where to post it. I have been taking melatonin for years. I take 10 mg. I have recently developed complete insomnia, going into my second night. I believe the melatonin has backfired on me. Does anyone have any experience with this? And if, I want to stop taking it because it's causing problems. Do I need to taper it? I also take ativan .25 mg and have been on this dose for a couple months. Could this be doing it? If so, I obviously can't taper something else right now. So what to do?

• Administrator

JDM, please read this topic from the start.

Given you've been taking so much, I would taper it by maybe 25% for a few days at a time. It could be less would work better for you.

Alto,

Forgive me, my cognitive abilities are compromised from lack of sleep. :-/

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to do it very very slowly, as I believe I've just been knocked on my butt by a wave. Don't want I upset the process any further.

• Administrator

If you're having a paradoxical reaction to the melatonin, you'll want to back down fairly quickly -- but give your system a chance to adjust.

Ok. How do I do that? probably have to make a liquid. I know there are instructions on here somewhere to do that. Brain cells are not present currently. Exhausted.

"The plasma half-life is short, 20 to 50 minutes, 6 , 7 , 12 and plasma levels return to baseline within 24 hours after discontinuation of chronic dosing of less than 10 mg/day. 7 , 13 Doses of melatonin 5 mg produce estimated peak blood levels 25 times above physiological levels, but do not alter endogenous melatonin production. 7 , 13

http://www.drugs.com/npp/melatonin.html

this link has information about it

I have never taken melotonin I had enough problems without it and enough reactions I was scared to tempt fate further.  

I don't know anything about it from personal experience but I see above there is a 5mg dose.  You don't need to make a liquid to taper this down to go to say 7.5mg you could just take one and half 5mg tablets. 

I am not sure if that is the rate anyone would suggest... maybe more people will comment that know what rate would be good.  

peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

• 2 weeks later...

My symptoms vary sooo much.

3 days no sleep

5 days broken sleep

2 days no sleep

1 day sleep

1 day no sleep

7 days broken sleep etc...

So if it was the melatonin it would be constantly a problem right?

My symptoms vary sooo much.

3 days no sleep

5 days broken sleep

2 days no sleep

1 day sleep

1 day no sleep

7 days broken sleep etc...

So if it was the melatonin it would be constantly a problem right?

watch this

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/why-melatonin-may-be-dangerous-your-sleep

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

I could not watch the end to see what they thought would help sleep but there are some other writing articles here and along the right side are further links

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/what-eat-deep-sleep?page=3

Had a car accident in 85

• Administrator

btdt, please stay on topic in the Symptoms forum.

JDM, generally you can cut up tablets to taper melatonin.

• 2 weeks later...

btdt, please stay on topic in the Symptoms forum.

JDM, generally you can cut up tablets to taper melatonin.

Hi guys,

Im from Australia and one of the problems I'm experiencing is insomnia. I know everyone is talking about melatonin and I don't really know which one to buy because when I asked one of the pharmacist she said that I can buy a bottle of melatonin over the counter or get one with a prescription. I'm confused coz I don't know which one to actually buy. When I asked her about the non-prescripted melatonin she said that it only contains a small amount of melatonin compared to the prescripted one. so which one do I actually buy? Or do I go to my doctor to asked for prescription and they'll be asking too many questions. Some advice here please because I haven't slept for how many days now. 

Thank you,

DePrssed5

started cipramil 20mg in 2003 till 2008 tapered and stop for 6 months

2009 Effexor 75mg then went up to 150mg till 2011

tapered from Effexor then started pristiq 50mg on 2012 till - July 2014 then tapered for 3 months

• Administrator

Please read the first posts in this thread, there's a thorough discussion of how much melatonin you might need.

Please read the first posts in this thread, there's a thorough discussion of how much melatonin you might need.

Hi Alto,

I got my circadin 2 mg prolonged release tablets and you've mentioned that I have to start with a low dose so do I need to cut up the tablets into quarters. But it says in the directions that you are not allowed to cut up the tablets. Now I'm confused if I've got the same melatonin as what you've got because I needed a prescription from the doctor to get it. Alto you've mentioned that you have been taking melatonin for 3 years now but when I was reading the directions there is only limited time that you can take melatonin and that's what the doctor said to me as well. I was reading on the net about melatonin in Dr Oz's website that it is not good to take melatonin compared to valerian. I've got valerian too and while I was reading about it in your website, it made me think again if I should take it or not. Now I'm tossing between this 2. Alto do you take the melatonin/circadin every night until now? I'm just wondering because I know it is a prescripted drug so it will give any effects if you are using it for a long time like using ads as well.

One more question is everytime I fall asleep I jerk or twitch then I don't go back to sleep anymore, why is that? how long will this involuntary movement lasts coz I think its the reason why I cant sleep. Sometimes I just feel like tying up my whole body so I wouldn't move so I can sleep but other muscle still moves. is there a way that I can lessened these involuntary movements? Is there a name for this? And it happens all the time everytime I go to sleep even just for a quick nap. Is exercise part of your symptom and help care too because it was never mentioned in it?Study shows it too that it helps in depression, anxiety, panic attacks and all types of mental illness. I used to go to the gym 3 times a week but now I hardly go and sometimes just go for a walk or run when I feel better. But nowadays, I just feel like I don't have the energy to do it but I'm still pushing myself. Is this the reason why I get those jerking or these involuntary movements(sorry I don't really know the name). Funny thing is, I don't have these jerking or twitching two weeks ago. Please give me some advice.

Thank You,

DePrrsed5

started cipramil 20mg in 2003 till 2008 tapered and stop for 6 months

2009 Effexor 75mg then went up to 150mg till 2011

tapered from Effexor then started pristiq 50mg on 2012 till - July 2014 then tapered for 3 months

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Post written by Ladybug about her experience with melatonin (copied from the relationships forum, original here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7498-resentful-of-family/?p=110639)

I've been taking melatonin nightly now for a few years, ever since the insomnia became a problem. I take it even when I'm not in an insomnia wave because I'm scared to drop it completely in case it causes withdrawal. I stopped taking it for 5 days last year and then soon after is when I entered a long rough patch. Most of me thinks that was just a coincidence since there were other factors that may have contributed (a vaso vagal attack after a blood draw) and sometimes these things happen for no reason at all. Anyway, that scared me off ditching it for a while. So I just tapered down to the smallest dose possible (.25mg) and have been on that dose for a while now. I do believe even that small dose helps, or maybe it's just psychological. I know I've read that most people take way too much (3mg and even more) and that the recommended dose is .50mg and I've read even this small amount is wayyy more than the body would produce naturally.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 1 month later...

I have some questions.

Should I take the melatonin sooner now in winter time? Like around 6pm when it gets dark?

I take my 1.5mg of melatonin at around 9pm (I go to be at around 11pm). It used to help me to get sleepy and fall asleep faster. But now it seems that it is not enough (this might have other causes not sure)

I started taking another quarter-half of a capsule right before getting in bed but even this does not seem to help that much. So I am thinking to get one of those 3mg capsule types. (I can only get here 1,5 or 3mg types)

Should I get the controlled release type? I am tempted to try it because it might help with staying asleep (though I can not cut it if its too much)

I start to worry about hearing people get dependent on it. Does it need a tapering procedure just like ADs or just a faster more simple taper does the job? Should I have to worry about this?

I am kind of confused about all this now. 

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy